• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i hate asking for help but... i am at 79+1, at the area with
multiple colored areas. i beat yellow, moving on to red.

the rules.... i am trying to figure out the rules for this one

http://i.imgur.com/as10tv6.jpg

when i try to make the T shape i think would work, it doesn't register. i'm pretty sure this is because two blocks overlap. i think i need to make more of a lowercase 't' shape, but can't due to the break in the two blocks on the right.

any hints?

when i try to make the T shape i think would work, it doesn't register. i'm pretty sure this is because two blocks overlap. i think i need to make more of a lowercase 't' shape, but can't due to the break in the two blocks on the right.

any hints?

I'm stuck here as well. Trying everything at the moment.

Edit:
I can't even find a way to get the right upwards line satisfied

zsynqx

any hints?

Did this for someone else earlier, seems people are strugglin in that section

http://i.imgur.com/XZxExYN.jpg (solution, don't look if you want to figure out for yourself)

TTG

I'm standing at what must be the first
tetris block
puzzle and for the life of me can not get it to work. I keep outlining the t block, putting the piece inside, outside. Nothing works. What do?

NightOnyx

Going up the elevator this lighting is killing my eyes. :p

That's where I had to stop my last session yesterday, I was getting a bad headache, but I had also been playing for several hours as well. It's an awesome area too, but yeah, the colors are really intense there. lol.

The game is fantastic though and I keep thinking about it while I'm at work. I'm so excited to get done here shortly and spend my next two days off playing this game.

seb

Banned
I just love how the game refuses to confirm your theories about how the general puzzle mechanics work, other than approving/rejecting your solutions. Assumptions that are wrong, or only partially true, can seem correct after having a couple of puzzles approved, but a couple of minutes/hours later you will hit a brick wall when the game uses your false assumptions against you.

I am sure this will be topped, but my biggest "aha moment" this far was discovering the true properties of black/white/colored blocks:
I initially assumed that the point was to close vertical and horizontal "line of sight" between differently colored blocks with my lines, which solved a couple of puzzles, but then inexplicably stopped working. After failing to apply my theory to more and more puzzles, I started to doubt my assumptions, and understood that the point was to border off differently colored blocks in separate spaces. This was not enough, though, because I later learned (after banging my head against the wall for almost one hour) that the same color could be bordered off in multiple spaces.

A corollary to this great feature is that cheating on even a single puzzle should be a surefire way of sucking the fun out of the game. Just don't do it people!

Funny, we think about that in completely different ways. My take on it is:
As you walk along the line, you must have one color on your left, and the other on your right.
Also, I *think* your misinterpretation of this puzzle was properly addressed in the tutorial puzzles, you might want to revisit them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In options click load a game. This should be in the OP, so many people asking this question.

No disrespect to the poster but people should at least read the last couple of pages. I understand when a read moves quickly, but one of the common questions are on almost every page. If you don't see it, then ask away.

Edit:
spiky balls
tutorial is the first one where it really seems to click with me. On other tutorials it'd lay down what I thought were the rules, but then later oanels just didn't make sense to me.

Either this one is better laid out, or my brain is slowly melting into a malleable enough slush to just absorb info better.

stryke

Just got my first beam to light up. This is fun.

For those further along, is there any fast travel or does it all have to be on foot?

d00d3n

Funny, we think about that in completely different ways. My take on it is:
As you walk along the line, you must have one color on your left, and the other on your right.

Interesting! But you mean your initial wrong take, right?
Like my erroneous "line of sight" approach, it will fail with the more complicated puzzles with irregular patterns of empty space

Also, I *think* your misinterpretation of this puzzle was properly addressed in the tutorial puzzles, you might want to revisit them.

Hmmm, I will have to check up on that, but I don't think so? The puzzles in the initial walled compound (basically the tutorial) did not introduce colors as far as I remember? Also, the second part of my realization about colors was not required to beat puzzles until I was well into the game.
For me it was the area with colored blocks and shifting lighting conditions that change block colors

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ugh, this one looks so easy but I simply can't solve it.

(picture)

Am I that dumb, GAF?

No I got stuck there too. Apparantly
youcan just make a 2x2 box. The shapes can move around and don't have to be where their symbol is (but they do need to be pointing the same way as the symbols)

I didn't work that out, someone said it because i didn't seem to explain to me. Maybe that's what you're supposed to figure out on that puzzle as there are so few combinations.

Yeah just found myself at the swamp area for the first time, it's so satisfying at a tutorial bit where you nail like 10 in a row without difficulty.

Knowing the tetris thing I can go to loads of places now.

Played this couple of hours last night and really enjoying the game so far. I like how the puzzle's have nice variety on them even though the basic concept is the same most of the time. Can't really say yet much about the world or about the overall mystery, but I've a feeling I'll be playing this for a long time still.

vehn

How do you solve the 3rd and 4th puzzle in the maze? I brute forced both and don't see any patterns with the solutions

Finished the tree shadows section.
Some of the panels there made me go "oh fuck you, game" once I've realized what was the solution for them.

Also every time I find a new panel and realize that I totally know all the rules and can solve it right now, I get a feeling similar to stumbling upon a secret door\chest in RPG with enough lockpicking skill to open it immediately.
Awesome game.

How do you solve the 3rd and 4th puzzle in the maze? I brute forced both and don't see any patterns with the solutions

3rd maze uses sound of footsteps and 4th you have to note the direction you actually walked through compared to the pattern on the panel

d00d3n

3rd:
Correct path has different sound when you walk on it

4th: I got this on my first attempt with some luck, so don't remember very well, but I believe
the puzzle and the actual maze are different. only one puzzle path is viable in the maze

Ok, I'm really having trouble at the windmill.

I am completely unable to get off of the second wing. It's like the dot is attracted to it by some kind of magnetic field. One time this happened, and I managed to complete the second pattern, but I have no idea why.
Am I doing something wrong, or it it just incredibly buggy?

TTG

I'm standing at what must be the first
tetris block
puzzle and for the life of me can not get it to work. I keep outlining the t block, putting the piece inside, outside. Nothing works. What do?

Guys, I'm dying here. It's a single t
tetris block
on an empty, perfectly lined grid. Across from the windmill, the first of like 5 panels. What am I not seeing?
I've tried outlining a t block and completing it about 100 different ways.

No spoilers please, just curious about a type of puzzle. The diamond shaped mazes around the house / temple / whatever
(where you open wall panels with the little puzzle with a tree in the middle)
. Should I know how to do these or is there a tutorial somewhere? I have no idea what I'm trying to do.

Loving this game!

102 puzzles down, don't have any idea what the + puzzles are.

The swamp has me resorting to creating templates and shapes in Photoshop. It looks like I'm creating busted Mondrian paintings.

Nope, still can't figure out three puzzles. Two in the
forest
area and one in the house
with the plants (colour puzzle)
. I really have no idea what they want me to do.

GavinGT

Banned
Can someone help me out with the third of the "walk along the puzzle and the floor lights up" puzzles? You don't start at the starting point and it's sort of unclear what you're allowed to do. I know you're supposed to
walk along wood sections
but you still have to backtrack.

http://i.imgur.com/rzVQIW8.png

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
No spoilers please, just curious about a type of puzzle. The diamond shaped mazes around the house / temple / whatever
(where you open wall panels with the little puzzle with a tree in the middle)
. Should I know how to do these or is there a tutorial somewhere? I have no idea what I'm trying to do.

Nope, there's no tutorial for those. They are possible to figure out there, though.

Shahadan

Can someone help me out with the third of the "walk along the puzzle and the floor lights up" puzzles? You don't start at the starting point and it's sort of unclear what you're allowed to do. I know you're supposed to
walk along wood sections
but you still have to backtrack.

Once they're lit you can walk on them again

Nimajneb

Just finished the sound puzzles in the woods. This part of the game was a real nightmare for me. I have enough trouble with this sort of thing without other sounds layered on top for distraction. Plus the rules keep changing without warning.

Shahadan

Can someone teach me the logic behind the Y panels and the red or green blocks? I'm doing the tutorial, completed four of them, and still don't know how :lol:

Usually I come up with a something making sense at least at first, but not this time apparently

Top Bottom