• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

lionpants

I don't understand the praise this game is getting. I am a few hours in and I'm getting pretty bored. So far I've enjoyed Talos Principle a lot more.

:(

Theodoricos

Okay, I feel terrible for asking this since I've only completed 52 puzzles, but I just don't get what I'm supposed to do in this one:

All the other ones in the same series make sense (
circle the rock formations
) but the same solution doesn't work for this one.

Nzyme32

Guess everyone ignored the advice in the OP of not getting help, and want instead for people to hand hold them through it

How do you solve the 3rd and 4th puzzle in the maze? I brute forced both and don't see any patterns with the solutions

:>
This is hilarious.

I spoke of this earlier and I think a lot of people are partially destroying the experience of this game by begging for help to puzzles when the game has only been out a day, which in my opinion is kind of ridiculous. Not to mention that by asking for the solutions you don't learn any of the ways to determine mechanisms and solutions, and ultimately will end up with even more things you don't understand later.

I would implore people to take some time to just mull things over, go exploring or looking around and eventually you'll have a whole new host of ideas and solutions. Getting the quick answer and losing the joy of the moments of inspiration this game can give is such a shame

edit - creep credit to Quote

d00d3n

Okay, I feel terrible for asking this since I've only completed 52 puzzles, but I just don't get what I'm supposed to do in this one:

Without spoiling it entirely, I would recommend trying to observe stuff in the puzzle area (not just the puzzle and the mountains out in the water).

I don't understand the praise this game is getting. I am a few hours in and I'm getting pretty bored. So far I've enjoyed Talos Principle a lot more.

:(

I don't understand the fun in figuring out how things work (in this game at least). They should explain it. Right now I'm standing in front of a (or many) tutorial panels and I have no idea how this puzzle works. Got the first panel by accident and then made a mistake at the second panel (it resets the whole progress).

This is not good game design.

Dinjooh

It makes just as much sense. Take a deep breath, go make a cup of coffee or tea, take a step back and look at it again. I'm sure you can do it.

TTG

The game is kind of a dick about that one.
Move yourself around in a way that will fit the rocks into the frame. You don't have to be snapped into the panel to complete it.

I don't understand the fun in figuring out how things work (in this game at least). They should explain it. Right now I'm standing in front of a (or many) tutorial panels and I have no idea how this puzzle works. Got the first panel by accident and then made a mistake at the second panel (it resets the whole progress).

You not getting it does not make it bad design.

d00d3n

The game is kind of a dick about that one.
Move yourself around in a way that will fit the rocks into the frame. You don't have to be snapped into the panel to complete it.

If I remember correctly, the game is not really a dick about that one.
The metal rails supporting the puzzle are twisted, and the correct alignment is implied by the twist

MJLord

Yeah I'm mulling this one over too.

I thought it might have something to do with the clouds as well but I've not figured any strategy for cutting/not cutting them.

Shahadan

Good game desing is not telling you how to do it. It's giving you the key to understand by yourself. It's always there.

lionpants

No need to be passive aggressive. I'm just sharing my experience so far. Sure there are great "aha" moments and the game looks great. But I'm just not really having fun. I'll probably play it through still though.

This is hilarious.

I spoke of this earlier and I think a lot of people are partially destroying the experience of this game by begging for help to puzzles when the game has only been out a day, which in my opinion is kind of ridiculous. Not to mention that by asking for the solutions you don't learn any of the ways to determine mechanisms and solutions, and ultimately will end up with even more things you don't understand later.

I would implore people to take some time to just mull things over, go exploring or looking around and eventually you'll have a whole new host of ideas and solutions. Getting the quick answer and losing the joy of the moments of inspiration this game can give is such a shame
Yo, where is my creep credit? I spend a lot of resources remembering dumb things to be use against them later. Theres at least 3 puzzles I can't solve now because I had to use my brain space for this instead.

/s

Robiin

http://imgur.com/3K2REK6

This one has me stumped (lol, sorry). I see the top and bottom half, but I can't seem to get the perspective for the middle part. I assume I have to look from a different angle but I've tried using everything in the area.

It's the forth puzzle inside the small temple where you have to use tree branches for profit (trying to be vague).
Anyone? I have walked around this panel for an hour without progress. Solved half of it (I assume) but my brain is fried.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
How do you solve the 3rd and 4th puzzle in the maze? I brute forced both and don't see any patterns with the solutions

For the 3rd maze
turn on the sound.
When I tried to solve it I was
listening to a podcast and had the game muted...
For the 4th maze
compare the structure of the maze on the panel with its actual structure. It does not match.

Robiin

For the 3rd maze
turn on the sound.
When I tried to solve it I was
listening to a podcast and had the game muted...
Figured out all the garden maze stuff was probably the most satisfying moment in this game for me so far. It takes a concept and then make you rethink it over and over.

Probably buying a block-lined notebook today. This game needs it.

GlamFM

Banned

You might not be standing in front of a Tutorial panel.

Nzyme32

Yo, where is my creep credit? I spend a lot of resources remembering dumb things to be use against them later. Theres at least 3 puzzles I can't solve now because I had to use my brain space for this instead.

/s

Done - I usually put the original post in there with the quotes in there, but forgot to paste it in for some reason

Z3M0G

The GF and I were up till 1:30 am... couldn't put it down. We played 6+ hours straight.

How can you tell how many puzzles you've solved? Edit: NM, Load Game option I see above

Can someone teach me the logic behind the Y panels and the red or green blocks? I'm doing the tutorial, completed four of them, and still don't know how :lol:

Usually I come up with a something making sense at least at first, but not this time apparently

The Y panel stands for "an exception". So when you seperate all the Red from Green for example, you must leave one exception... and the block you leave as the exception must not be separated from the Y panel by your line.

Edit: Piece of general advice, when you don't understand something go back to the simplest puzzle and make intentional mistakes... and pay attention to what the game tells you.

Swamp alert
That tetris panel changing the rules on the sly, geeze no tutorial for swapping the order round. Got me worked up, had me thinking way too long about that.

Foshy

Really enjoying it so far, absolutely love the atmosphere.

Btw I just tried playing it in VR with my DK1 but somehow the movement keys don't really work like they should. When I press a key I either keep going in that direction indefinitely or it doesn't react at all. Anyone experience the same?

No need to be passive aggressive. I'm just sharing my experience so far. Sure there are great "aha" moments and the game looks great. But I'm just not really having fun. I'll probably play it through still though.

Hey, I was serious, lol. That wasn't sarcasm :p

And I don't think they should explain everything but they should tell you what you have to do (at least once).
And there a multiple puzzles that don't work as they should. Like the
puzzles in the destroyed temple where it's a matter of perspective
. The line I had to draw to solve this puzzle didn't make any sense to me.

Swamp alert
That tetris panel changing the rules on the sly, geeze no tutorial for swapping the order round. Got me worked up, had me thinking way too long about that.
The red ones up stairs? Yeah, I spent awhile on those and accidentally saw the solution to one and thought "what the fuck they never told us we could do that." I'm trying to think of a way they could have taught us and can't, but maybe then it's not a good puzzle. This one is my only gripe so far.

Shahadan

Why am I reading so many people talking about puzzles changing rules :lol:

They don't change rules, your rule just wasn't the good one and it worked only until a point. It's very interesting design, and you can tell it's done on purpose. Wish more puzzle games did this.

Robiin

Robiin said:
http://imgur.com/3K2REK6

This one has me stumped (lol, sorry). I see the top and bottom half, but I can't seem to get the perspective for the middle part. I assume I have to look from a different angle but I've tried using everything in the area.

It's the forth puzzle inside the small temple where you have to use tree branches for profit (trying to be vague).
Anyone? I have walked around this panel for an hour without progress. Solved half of it (I assume) but my brain is fried.
Anyone? Have to go to work soon and I don't want to think about this all day. It's not one of the puzzles you can think about solving without the game in front of you :/

And I don't think they should explain everything but they should tell you what you have to do (at least once).
And there a multiple puzzles that don't work as they should. Like the
Which line? The last one?

Shahadan

The GF and I were up till 1:30 am... couldn't put it down. We played 6+ hours straight.

How can you tell how many puzzles you've solved? Edit: NM, Load Game option I see above

The Y panel
stands for "an exception". So when you seperate all the Red from Green for example, you must leave one exception... and the block you leave as the exception must not be separated from the Y panel by your line.

Yeah I realized that a few minutes after posting :lol:
I thought the colors meant something else.
Complaining on gaf always works. Thanks anyway!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
WTF i am stumped by the one star panel in the trees. I just be missing something. They just throw it in there like its nothing.

It's clearly not nothing.

I have to go to work now.

FiraB

Banned
So done the sun temple, water house, symmetry island, half the town, pink cherry trees, hedge maze and now onto the castle maze puzzles... this is too addictive.

Freeman76

The red ones up stairs? Yeah, I spent awhile on those and accidentally saw the solution to one and thought "what the fuck they never told us we could do that." I'm trying to think of a way they could have taught us and can't, but maybe then it's not a good puzzle. This one is my only gripe so far.

Same here, people said i missed a tutorial but ive been back over everything nearby and i dont see anywhere that it explains the tetronimo puzzles up the stairs. I just cannot do them, really dont want to cheat but its starting to annoy me now. I love how clever the game is, ita just this one part which has floored me.

And there are multiple puzzles that doesn't work as they should. Like the

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
after, like, 250 puzzles, I finally had to walk away from a clearly in sequence puzzle because I wasn't able to work it out. It was in the swamp, in the second underground area.

I went right on over to the Desert Ruin, and man that was a cool area. Nice change of pace. Very rewarding to finally claw my way out of there, so to speak.

Well, at 389 solved so far
+55 +1? I guess that's the superimposed stuff and completed pillars or something? The superimposed stuff is pretty neat, and I feel like it's been in something else before, but I can't think of what.

Currently exploring
the inside of the mountain thing. I think I cheesed the third lock at the lasergate at the summit, since I kind of just...shimmy'd backwards until I could barely loop around the feet and block off the blacks from the whites. Or uh...whatever you call that type of puzzle's logic >_>

But screw these
flashing color
puzzles :(. I'm just going to sleep and deal with them tomorrow

d00d3n

They don't change rules, your rule just wasn't the good one and it worked only until a point.
It's very interesting design, and you can tell it's done on purpose. Wish more puzzle games did this.

Exactly this! I wrote about it here:

I just love how the game refuses to confirm your theories about how the general puzzle mechanics work, other than approving/rejecting your solutions. Assumptions that are wrong, or only partially true, can seem correct after having some puzzles approved, but a couple of minutes/hours later you will hit a brick wall when the game uses your false assumptions against you.

I am sure this will be topped, but my biggest "aha moment" this far was discovering the true properties of black/white/colored blocks:
I initially assumed that the point was to close vertical and horizontal "line of sight" between differently colored blocks with my lines, which solved a couple of puzzles, but then inexplicably stopped working. After failing to apply my theory to more and more puzzles, I started to doubt my assumptions, and understood that the point was to border off differently colored blocks in separate spaces. This was not enough, though, because I later learned (after banging my head against the wall for almost one hour) that the same color could be bordered off in multiple spaces.

A corollary to this great feature is that cheating on even a single puzzle should be a surefire way of sucking the fun out of the game. Just don't do it people!

They don't change rules, your rule just wasn't the good one and it worked only until a point. It's very interesting design, and you can tell it's done on purpose. Wish more puzzle games did this.
Uh when does the tutorial for the swamp puzzles teach you that
the tetromino icon doesn't necessarily need to touch the icon as long as one of the other ones touches it?

Same here, people said i missed a tutorial but ive been back over everything nearby and i dont see anywhere that it explains the tetronimo puzzles up the stairs. I just cannot do them, really dont want to cheat but its starting to annoy me now. I love how clever the game is, ita just this one part which has floored me.
I'd recommend making physical
tetromino pieces
and move them around the field. The trick is in the spoiler tag above.

Top Bottom