• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Uh when does the tutorial for the swamp puzzles tell you that
the tetromino icon doesn't necessarily need to touch the icon as long as one of the other ones touches it?

I'd recommend making physical
tetromino pieces
and move them around the field. The trick is in the spoiler tag above.

There is definitely at least one in the first set or two in the swamp that teach that before you go upstairs.

Salty Hippo

I can't for the life of me figure out the puzzles in the ruined city-like area near the windmill. Colored ones and tetris-shaped ones. I tried making tetris shaped forms to no avail. What is the logic there?

I can't for the life of me figure out the puzzles in the ruined city-like area near the windmill. Colored ones and tetris-shaped ones. I tried making tetris shaped forms to no avail. What is the logic there?
You're not supposed to know yet. Go to the swamp to learn the tetromino puzzles. Whenever you see a puzzle that has 2 different things going on and you don't understand, you're more than likely not supposed to know yet.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
drew some puzzles in my gridlined moleskin so i could solve them on the subway. i am a genius.

I've cheated a few.

i wish i had read the "just play tetris in your head" instead of viewing the solution and "getting it" that way

at least going forward i know to ask for hints/nudges and not solutions.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That green panel with the two L-shaped Tetris blocks on the door at the stairs to the workshop is driving me crazy. I think that I have fully understood the concept of these panels and have solved some of them already. But my intuitions seem not to work on this one... Maybe it's one if the examples of not seeing the solution right in front of your eyes. I'll try it again tonight. Will probably solve it in under a minute. I hate it when that happens.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I've cheated a few.

200.gif

Playing a puzzle game with a guide.

You guys are the worst.

Salty Hippo

You're not supposed to know yet. Go to the swamp to learn the tetromino puzzles. Whenever you see a puzzle that has 2 different things going on and you don't understand, you're more than likely not supposed to know yet.

Thanks. Where's the swamp located? I've explored quite a bit and still haven't seen one (that I remember at least).

I have almost 100 puzzles done and one laser activated.

Drakken

Started this up around 11:30 last night, figuring I'd just get a taste of it before bed.

Turned out to be a silly idea. Played till 2:30. Ended up with ~75 completed. Actually finished every single one I came across right up till the end of my session, when I entered the area with a bunch of
small buildings near the water
(not really a spoiler, haha, but just in case). Had to start skipping them. Not sure if that's due to increased difficulty, or the fact that it was 2:30 in the morning.

Definitely enjoyed the experience, even if not much has "happened" aside from solving puzzles again and again.

Thanks. Where's the swamp located? I've explored quite a bit and still haven't seen one (that I remember at least).

I have almost 100 puzzles done and one laser activated.
Kind of to the right to the courtyard castle area place. It's hard to explain where anything is located.

Robiin

Robiin said:
http://imgur.com/3K2REK6

This one has me stumped (lol, sorry). I see the top and bottom half, but I can't seem to get the perspective for the middle part. I assume I have to look from a different angle but I've tried using everything in the area.

It's the forth puzzle inside the small temple where you have to use tree branches for profit (trying to be vague).
Anyone? I have walked around this panel for an hour without progress. Solved half of it (I assume) but my brain is fried.
HOLY SHIT I ACTUALLY GOT IT. JESUS CHRIST THIS GAME.
A branch was broken and the middle part of the puzzle was on the floor..

Freeman76

Uh when does the tutorial for the swamp puzzles teach you that
the tetromino icon doesn't necessarily need to touch the icon as long as one of the other ones touches it?

I'd recommend making physical
tetromino pieces
and move them around the field. The trick is in the spoiler tag above.

I just cant figure out a way to make it work, perhaps my brain just isnt equipped for this type of puzzle. I finished portal 2 without any problem but this game makes that look like snap!

EDIT: and just as i say that, i figure it out

FUCK THIS GAME AND ITS DESIGNERS (meant with love)

LiK

drew some puzzles in my gridlined moleskin so i could solve them on the subway. i am a genius.

i wish i had read the "just play tetris in your head" instead of viewing the solution and "getting it" that way

at least going forward i know to ask for hints/nudges and not solutions.

yup, sometimes I just need a direction to get me into it if there's no narrative to keep me going.

200.gif

Playing a puzzle game with a guide.

You guys are the worst.

better off cheating a few than quitting the game. I did the same thing for Braid. no regrets!

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah, PC. I posted on the Steam Discussions-page about it too. Seems like quite a few people on PC are having problems with their display drivers crashing and/or hard crashes to a black screen. Haven't read about anyone else losing their save though.
Actually had that happen to me. Using a GTX980 with the latest drivers. Oddly enough, when I keep it set to "defaults" in the graphic setting it doesn't appear to happen. So might be a problem with the "High" graphic setting.

Also, the mandatory mouse launcher is a joke.

OK, let's talk the castle.
I'm at the top of the tower, with the big 8x8 puzzle that merges the walking puzzles from the area below. I gather the solution involves merging the paths taken from those 4 walking puzzles, but it all falls apart at the third maze.

Am I thinking about this correctly or not? What am I missing?

d00d3n

OK, let's talk the castle.
I'm at the top of the tower, with the big 8x8 puzzle that merges the walking puzzles from the area below. I gather the solution involves merging the paths taken from those 4 walking puzzles, but it all falls apart at the third maze.

Am I thinking about this correctly or not? What am I missing?

Your strategy is correct. You must be remembering the third solution wrong.

mclem

Well, I've had one of those trademark "Flashes of inspiration while away from the game" moments. Admittedly, not a terribly useful one, because I wasn't stuck when I left the game last night, but I think I've come up with a new theory for the
behaviour of those white panels found in arbitrary locations
that I'd like to try out - I'm sure I'll get to a point where they're needed sometime.

One thing that angers me, although just because I am stupid not because of the game, is when you know what is supposed to be used to solve a puzzle but you cant figure it out.

2 examples:

behind the tree shrine building there is a door with a puzzle on it, i climbed on the ledge across from it and there are like 3 giant trees with roots that I assume you have to look through to block a path but i spent 20 minutes and looked at every root / branch but couldnt find a path

there is a puzzle near the water at the startish, it is near a building but when I look at it from the building towards the water, the trees on an island fit exactly into 5 or 6 little squares but I dont know what that means, I tried every combination of going around those squares.

I wish I was smarter :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What do you mean there's only
one spikey ball?
you've just spent ages showing me how there are always
two!

Also can someone please clarify the Tetris rules. For
normal (not diagonal) Tetris blocks, you have to make an outline to fit the shapes in. You don't have to have eg the T shape icon covers by the T shaped line as long as it is inside the bouncing box somewhere? Do you always have to have all shapes in one contiguous blob? Then the diagonal ones are the same shape can be any orientation?

ced

I don't get these * symbol puzzles in the swamp tree fort. I mean I guess I get them because I've progressed through a bunch but there has to be something more than grouping them together.

papo

Man this game is so cool. I think Blow created something wonderful. Yesterday it just clicked for me.

I was doing
the light and shadow puzzles that connect by opening a gate that gives you another puzzle
. I spent a good 20 minutes at each side and spent a good 10 minutes on the last part.
But when I realized how to solve the puzzle, when it clicked that it was using both of the previous puzzles techniques that really felt awesome.

I also solve one puzzle by guessing and I think it made it worse because I spent a good 5 minutes trying to go back and figure it out even though I had already done it.

Loving the game.

Top Bottom