• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

So the way I do them, first look at spacing see which tetris places can touch, then just draw dots to plot the different structures. Don't know if that made any sense or not?

Yeah no I get that, my tiny feeble brain just can't do it when the time comes hahaha. I think I've solved one now just going over it at work. Will have to hope I can remember by the time I get home.

GlamFM

Banned
The praise Jeff gives the game is so great because his standards are high/weird. I'm really happy to hear he loves it even being colorblind.

Absolutely, we´ll here more from Jeff about this game by the end of the year I´m sure...

AllenShrz

Okay, I feel terrible for asking this since I've only completed 52 puzzles, but I just don't get what I'm supposed to do in this one:

All the other ones in the same series make sense (
circle the rock formations
) but the same solution doesn't work for this one.

OH, FUCK!

Do I have to do this often? Thinking "outside the box"?

Thats kind of cheating from the game, why was
I "locked" on the same position, it should be the other way around.

Something pretty amusing to me was one of the
apple tree
puzzles near the beginning.

On the last one,
there was no apple in the tree that I saw. So I just brute forced the correct answer, having no clue how I was supposed to solve it otherwise, and opened the little gate. Inside is a cut up apple someone was eating.
Was that intentional just to fuck with people, or was there some clue I missed to solve that puzzle?

Acccent

hey guys, I need some help with a tiny puzzle. I'm pretty sure it's not something that I'm meant to be able to solve easily, I just don't see it for some reason. Here it is in multiple spoiler tags so you can decide not to reveal the rest if you're not that far yet:

In the tree 'temple'
there's a door that leads to the bamboo forest
I think that door is just meant to be a convenient shortcut once you've gained access to both areas, which I have, so I don't *need* it open... but it would make travelling easier if it was. How do I open it though? I don't see anything that can help narrow down the correct 'path'...

If you think I just lack some information and will be able to solve it later on, please just tell me that and not the actual solution! Cheers :)

Ghazi

apple tree

On the last one,
there was no apple in the tree that I saw. So I just brute forced the correct answer, having no clue how I was supposed to solve it otherwise, and opened the little gate. Inside is a cut up apple someone was eating.
Was that intentional just to fuck with people, or was there some clue I missed to solve that puzzle?
The tree didn't match the panel, you were supposed to look through the gate and realize that the apple and branch had been taken down and were supposed to look for the missing branch.

SexyFish

Banned
apple tree

On the last one,
I think one branch has been cut that was not present on the panel. Might be wrong though.
God this game is amazing.

Theodoricos

Thanks for the help, guys. I really should've been paying more attention to the surrounding environment.

Also, anyone else bothered by the lack of music? I know it's intentional, but I feel like at least something atmospheric would've been nice, a la The Talos Principle. I started playing its OST to help me concentrate.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Fuck this color puzzle :(

Which one?
Too late :( I should have known better than to randomly click links in this thread though.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that this contains a spoiler of some kind

Probably my favorite ones so far.

The ones in the forrest with the shadow patterns are the most annoying, just because there are so many of them.

Yeah, I didn't like those either. They felt a bit too random

Mik2121

apple tree

On the last one,
the panels always matched the cut branches except for the last tree. Seeing how the apple wasn't there not on the ground and one branch was missing from the tree but available on the panel, I assumed that's where the apple was. After going through the gate and finding the apple and the branch it just confirmed my idea.

Woke up, booted up the game and that tetris sheit just clicked. Feels good.
I love how the unconscious mind works on things when you're not actively thinking about them.

Yet another reason no one should ask anyone else for help. Seriously, the game is about the way rules accumulate (and are subverted) in your mind through careful observation of the world. Any time you skip a step, you're cheating yourself.

The tree didn't match the panel, you were supposed to look through the gate and realize that the apple and branch had been taken down and were supposed to look for the missing branch.

I think one branch has been cut that was not present on the panel. Might be wrong though.
God this game is amazing.

Ahhh of course lol. Well i'm just going to keep thinking it was done purposely to fuck with me. Although that's still impressive, I was more impressed when I thought you had to brute force it. And yeah this game is amazing so far.

kiguel182

Okay, progress report: activated the temple laser. I figured the main mechanic because of a tip I read here but, from then on it was mostly pretty straightforward with some really clever twists thrown there.

Before I called it quits I headed to the swamps in search of the tetris tutorials. Good thing: it was mostly what I thought they were when I encountered them earlier. The bad stuff is that so far I still have no idea how to solve the dam puzzle. But I'll try and do the swamps now. If I finish that my mind might be better trained to then solved the rest. The swamp area is gorgeous too and I can't believe I missed it in my previous search around the island.

I wish I could keep playing but exams are calling me, ugh. Still, I'm loving it (and hating it at times because of what it does to my head). The fact that you are gaining knowledge to then access the new parts of the island is incredibly clever. Instead of gaining an item you understand stuff and then you can open more doors. It's genius.

WGMBY

Played for a bit last night, activated 2 lasers
Symmetry and the Keep
, got partially finished with 2 other ones,
Sun Temple and Swamp
. Figured out one that I was stuck on about 2 hours after I turned off the game. I can feel my brain wrinkling while I play.

So I played for a few hours last night and I'm starting to stumble across a bunch of puzzles with the "Tetris" pieces in them. Is there a series of tutorial style puzzles for these somewhere that I missed? Or was I just supposed to figure it out on the first couple puzzles?

To be clear, it clicked a little right before bet last night on the
walking puzzles in the Keep, but I couldn't figure out the exact solution.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Up in the trees - I've had a great time and I actually understand the puzzles! But now I have to
get through a door which is on a timer, and no matter how fast I run I can't get there.
I opened up both main routes there. Do I have to
do the green panels so I can activate the door switch without being up the spiral staircase?
not liking those as much as the Tetris pieces still confuse me.

eznark

Banned
Glad I finished the
sun temple
second because compared to the three areas I have completed after it, that was was utter garbage. Everything else, puzzle wise, has been awesome and pretty much perfectly paced.

Hedge question:
I made it through the back part of the hedge maze, where you have to walk on the puzzles. I entered it at the tower, but it seemed like nothing happened. Did I miss something?

So I played for a few hours last night and I'm starting to stumble across a bunch of puzzles with the "Tetris" pieces in them. Is there a series of tutorial style puzzles for these somewhere that I missed? Or was I just supposed to figure it out on the first couple puzzles?

To be clear, it clicked a little right before bet last night on the
walking puzzles in the Keep, but I couldn't figure out the exact solution.
The Swamp

Up in the trees - I've had a great time and I actually understand the puzzles! But now I have to
get through a door which is on a timer, and no matter how fast I run I can't get there.
I opened up both main routes there. Do I have to
do the green panels so I can activate the door switch without being up the spiral staircase?
not liking those as much as the Tetris pieces still confuse me.

I'm on those panels too. Everything in that area clicked pretty quickly but the tetris and star grids are pretty difficult, especially when it brings in rotated pieces.

The Swamp

Awesome, thanks! When I get back into it tonight, I'll head there first.

It's funny...I guess there's no real order to the areas if you can figure out the puzzles in them, but I activated
the Keep laser
last night somehow. The
hedge
puzzles using
audio clues while walking
to show the path were ingenious. Absolutely loved that puzzle and made me want to play through the night.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tell me others got stumped in the forest when they just give you a single star. I'm going to have to go somewhere else and clear my mind. I must not understand the rules. I tried to brute force and use failure queues to no avail.

I'm going to be dying inside while at work today. Can't stop thinking about it.

Croyles

Are there little tutorials for each new concept? Because I keep stumbling on new complex puzzles with new rules and nothing that seems to "start off easy".

The tetris ones for example.

Tell me others got stumped in the forest when they just give you a single star. I'm going to have to go somewhere else and clear my mind. I must not understand the rules. I tried to brute force and use failure queues to no avail.

I'm going to be dying inside while at work today. Can't stop thinking about it.

Yeah, I'm losing it already after an hour and fifteen minutes of work. I just want to solve puzzles!

Top Bottom