• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

ymgve

Disappointingly, there seems to be at least one instance of a "collectible" that's missable. That probably means there are more that can be missed.

Has anyone here got this http://i.imgur.com/OdmDlHn.jpg (+x collectible in the Symmetry area) to line up and could give me a hint?
There's a tiny black spot on the doorframe blocking the line. I feel like I've already spent way too much time on it but I just can't help myself coming back to it. I tried it from all kinds of places/point of views but up there on the roof and through that window seems to be the right one as I can't even activate the line from anywhere else.

Help in the
Treehouse. On one of the bridge panels there is a single black starburst shape. However, the rule that I've gathered is that you need two to go together. So I've tried looking from different angles and whatnot, but can't seem to figure it out, so any hint would be appreciated.

Same here although I did miss the last puzzle of the previous group as it let me just walk over it, I wonder if that's stopping something.

Cth

Here's a question..

Near the House at the Lake/Pottery Barn:

Is there anything to the
shadows in the lake? I thought I saw a koi fish, but it turns out it was shadows from a tree branch overlapping

Marsh done.
4 lasers down.
205 puzzles done.
1 video watched.

2am.

Nighty night folks.

Might want to spoiler tag the video part

I've got a £30 GAME voucher to use and it's a toss up for some PSN credit between this and Life is Strange.......

Life is Strange if you want a straight story game, or grab this if you want actual puzzles and classic adventure game feelings.

This game has me taking screenshots of puzzles than going to Photoshop to work out line possibilities.

Screenshot threads are going to be very busy with The Witness for a couple of weeks lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
More lovely colour mixing. I'm now drawing a chart with all combinations of RGB so I can try and figure out what colour one thing really is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Help in the
Treehouse. On one of the bridge panels there is a single black starburst shape. However, the rule that I've gathered is that you need two to go together. So I've tried looking from different angles and whatnot, but can't seem to figure it out, so any hint would be appreciated.

From doing things deliberately wrongly in earlier puzzles you can work this out I think. Seems that
sible star bursts can mix with one other normal block of the same colour to pair up.

Unlocked the first laser, do they point you in the direction you should head next or can you do them in any order?

The place they point to doesn't unlock until 7 of them have been done I think. That's how many locks I saw when I got to it. Keep exploring around and finding other puzzles for now.

Tsosie

This has probably been answered, but I do not want to risk spoilers reading through this thread.

If I finish the final area without completing all of the areas, does the game let me continue to work on the puzzles I finished?

I used a spoiler tag, but it is not really a spoiler. Anyone that has been following news on the game will not be suprised by my question.

From doing things deliberately wrongly in earlier puzzles you can work this out I think. Seems that
sible star bursts can mix with one other normal block of the same colour to pair up.

Thanks figured it out. Funny considering the puzzle after it is much easier and a better intro to this idea.

Colorblind folks- Stephen Totillo of Kotaku has a tweet out asking a question to colorblind people- if you have a chance please go over and answer him- he may be talking with Blow about how its an issue- I already tweeted at Jon Blow as well. Please help :)

Colorblind folks- Stephen Totillo of Kotaku has a tweet out asking a question to colorblind people- if you have a chance please go over and answer him- he may be talking with Blow about how its an issue- I already tweeted at Jon Blow as well. Please help :)

thanks mate.
will defo do that.
i tweeted at Blow as well.

ACE 1991

So how difficult would one say this game is for the average person who regularly plays games but doesn't have much exposure to puzzle games?

killroy87

Man, I just know this game is going to take me longer than most people. I'm okay at the puzzles when I know what to do, and am willing to sit at them for a bit. But the obtuse aspects of the game, how it (intentionally) doesn't give you much information about which puzzles you should be doing when, is the exact kind of thing that tends to make me frustrated. For example, the last place I went to last night was
under the windmill.
I was able to progress decently through a couple of the puzzles, but then suddenly I hit some with
symbols/mechanics
that I'd never seen before. Am I to keep trying? Or do I just go back and find a puzzle I can solve?

It's not the game's fault at all, that's jus thow my brain is wired. I just generally hate the feeling of walking around aimlessly with no clue as to what I should be doing.

That said, I'll stick with it! I have unlocked two of the
beams so far, the boat dock and the hedge maze thing,
and those were great.

*Splinter

hey guys, I need some help with a tiny puzzle. I'm pretty sure it's not something that I'm meant to be able to solve easily, I just don't see it for some reason. Here it is in multiple spoiler tags so you can decide not to reveal the rest if you're not that far yet:

In the tree 'temple'
there's a door that leads to the bamboo forest
I think that door is just meant to be a convenient shortcut once you've gained access to both areas, which I have, so I don't *need* it open... but it would make travelling easier if it was. How do I open it though? I don't see anything that can help narrow down the correct 'path'...

If you think I just lack some information and will be able to solve it later on, please just tell me that and not the actual solution! Cheers :)
If I'm thinking of the right door then you should be able to open it:
you are standing too close
Sorry if that isn't subtle enough (or completely wrong lol)

CDV13

Has anyone here got this http://i.imgur.com/OdmDlHn.jpg (+x collectible in the Symmetry area) to line up and could give me a hint?
There's a tiny black spot on the doorframe blocking the line. I feel like I've already spent way too much time on it but I just can't help myself coming back to it. I tried it from all kinds of places/point of views but up there on the roof and through that window seems to be the right one as I can't even activate the line from anywhere else.

I mean, you basically have it....you just have to move more. There isn't really a hint to give. You have the right idea you just have to find that magical spot on the roof to line it up perfectly.

So how difficult would one say this game is for the average person who regularly plays games but doesn't have much exposure to puzzle games?

Pretty difficult, but since you play games normally you should be able to catch on to the subtle clues regarding gameplay. It wouldn't be extremely more difficult for you than most other people in this thread I would assume.

How well do you do with word searches or Sudoku?

Blow, you bastard. Lol.

Sometimes the easiest solution is, at times, actually the easiest solution. Just because every single puzzle is hard you forget that you are overthinking every single thing

ACE 1991

Pretty difficult, but since you play games normally you should be able to catch on to the subtle clues regarding gameplay. It wouldn't be extremely more difficult for you than most other people in this thread I would assume.

How well do you do with word searches or Sudoku?

I'm good at word searches, but I have little exposure to Sudoku. I guess I just don't want to buy the game and end up disliking it because I'm too much of a dullard to solve the puzzles.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So, has my
the clouds are a in-world puzzle
theory been confirmed already? Cause this looks clearly like
a circle to me (from the right angle, of course) I asume you have to position the sun in the middle?

Possible spoiler?
http://i.imgur.com/yu3oV3l.jpg

Don't want to read anything in here, but gotta say I can't stop thinking about this game. Sitting at work with possible solutions in my head that I want to implement. Probably gonna write these down.

So, has my
the clouds are a in-world puzzle
theory been confirmed already? Cause this looks clearly like
a circle to me (from the right angle, of course) I asume you have to position the sun in the middle?

Possible spoiler?
http://i.imgur.com/yu3oV3l.jpg

I'm absolutely convinced there is a puzzle to be completed there. I've run around the entire island, I'm always checking but nothing so far but I'm convinced of it, especially after all the other ones you can find.

Don't want to read anything in here, but gotta say I can't stop thinking about this game. Sitting at work with possible solutions in my head that I want to implement. Probably gonna write these down.

After playing last night for about 4 hours I actually dreamt about it last night. I was just walking around the island completing puzzles, it was almost like a flashback.

Can't wait to go back tonight.

giphy.gif

Acccent

If I'm thinking of the right door then you should be able to open it:
you are standing too close
Sorry if that isn't subtle enough (or completely wrong lol)

I'm pretty sure that's not it, I've done that with other doors but this one doesn't seem to work the same way.

I've completed the three panels that give access to the
zen garden
, from the tree temple.
I've also completed the blue door that leads to a cave with a
hexagon puzzle clue
in it, in the bamboo forest.
I'm talking about the door between those two;
I don't see any tree or shadow or anything that could block out part of the panel to reveal a path...

Afrodium

Banned
I feel like I should buy this, but games like this are a catch 22. They're all about discovering the "way to do things" but if you get stuck you either stop playing, or you look up how to do it which spoils the game anyway. Not sure if I should get it.

The beauty of this game is that it's non-linear and has a ton of puzzles. If you're ever confused you can just walk away and solve one of the many puzzles likely within 30 seconds of your current area.

PBY

Banned
Played about an hour - my main question is this:

If I get to a puzzle with symbols I've not seen before - do I try to solve it or move on?

Like... I never know if I should be trying to figure stuff out versus moving on to find a different puzzle.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Played about an hour - my main question is this:

If I get to a puzzle with symbols I've not seen before - do I try to solve it or move on?

Like... I never know if I should be trying to figure stuff out versus moving on to find a different puzzle.

If it looks complex and its not part of a line of puzzles you should probably move on

akileese

After playing last night for about 4 hours I actually dreamt about it last night. I was just walking around the island completing puzzles, it was almost like a flashback.

Can't wait to go back tonight.

giphy.gif

I dreamt about a puzzle I got stuck at last night (
The one with yellow and blue lines, where the yellow is completely invisible and it opens a door.
) and when I woke up and got to work, I took out my personal laptop real quick and solved it after two tries. This game has literally consumed me.

Acccent

Can someone vaguely explain how in the hell the puzzles in the church like building near the orange trees work. I keep solving them but have utterly no idea what is going on.

http://i.imgur.com/nhzOpAY.png

Should I just come back later with knowledge of what the heck those symbols mean?

I think you have enough information to figure it out, but if you want to go to the place where that symbol is properly introduced, I think it's
the factory-like building at the bottome of the quary, near the end of the train track

If you don't want to go there and just want some subtle hints to decipher it now:
  1. Think about what happens when you complete a puzzle.
  2. Some symbols flash as if the solution was wrong, yet the puzzle is validated
  3. Specifically, two symbols flash, and one of them is always the same in all the puzzles
  4. Think about what that symbol might do, why it might be flashing along with another one
A more obvious explanation:
The 'tri' symbol corrects one mistake; you need to make a mistake in the puzzle and 'group' it with the symbol, and it will be ignored and the puzzle will be validated

Top Bottom