• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Ambitious

No, there is no way to check how many puzzles you have completed.

scan the last few pages, it is asked all the time

go to load game from the menu, it says there

Sorry. I'd like to complete the game with as little help as possible, so I've been avoiding this thread until now.

120 puzzles in exactly 3 hours. So 547 remaining? I love it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does this make any sense?
I don't get it at all (had to search for the solution on youtube)

(PUZZLE SOLUTION
Forest
AREA ) :

http://imgur.com/HHwucaT

You didn't line it up properly. Sometimes they don't overlay neatly - that is the puzzle evolving the difficulty as you adjust to it. Introduce the concept, get you familiar, then twist.

Loved the forest area.

Sorry. I'd like to complete the game with as little help as possible, so I've been avoiding this thread until now.

120 puzzles in exactly 3 hours. So 547 remaining? I love it.

Sorry, didn't mean to be snarky :)

Oh, plus extras ;)

I'm just going to re quote this because I'm still really stuck on it. I know somebody said the tetris blocks can't overlap, but how am I supposed to do this without them overlapping?!

As long as the shapes are "circled," they can be arranged anywhere in the area that you've enclosed, i.e. feel free to "move" the bars from where they're marked.

Looks like you just need to move to the left for the shadows to line up. You lined up the wrong start point there.

You didn't line it up properly. Sometimes they don't overlay neatly - that is the puzzle evolving the difficulty as you adjust to it. Introduce the concept, get you familiar, then twist.

Loved the forest area.

Sorry, didn't mean to be snarky :)

Oh, plus extras ;)

Guys, this is the right path in the picture :D

And I still don't get why this is the solution ^^

TheRed

In your first image
you can rotate but you can't flip. That current solution has a piece flipped

In the second image
I agree its a bit confusing because of one of the tutorial puzzles but you can have shapes cross broken lines (if I recall)

Okay thanks man. I'll head back to that area later. Oh and I just went back to where I was stuck yesterday,
the plant color building behind the mountain
I went back there now after getting stuck in the swamp and the trick finally clicked! Now I think that area is super cool! I also now know what everyone was going on about when saying they were
stuck in an elevator.
This game is amazing

The town area is by far the most baffling. The two locked doors with the coloured spot puzzle and the L-block/purple spot puzzle are just ridiculous. I did the tutorial bit and that did... something.

This game is obtuse as heck sometimes.

killroy87

Guys, this is the right path in the picture :D

And I still don't get why this is the solution ^^

Look at the light that's lined up with the purple starting point. It should be lined up with the green one (the correct one)

If all the light moved to the right about 6 inches, it would line up and show you the solution

Certinty

Is there a certain order to do the locations in? I'm asking because I just visited a new place and have loads of new icons and stuff that I've never seen before and I'm completely stuck on several puzzles there.

Anyone know what the explanation is behind those "flashlight" puzzles? The one's with the green, red symbols and the one triangle.

I seem to luck my way out of situations like these without understanding what I actually need to do.

Okay, I am going to stop asking questions. The moment I do that the "Aha!!" moment kicks in and I find the solution.

Durante

I just played the game for 2 hours in VR. Certainly not a polished VR experience, but the sense of place is fantastic. I knew that e.g. "over there there's that, and if I turn here I should get there". (I've omitted some shots/scenes below due to puzzle spoilers)

2016-01-27_000106yuwa.jpg
2016-01-27_00011sguws.jpg
following the upwards movement of the device and then naturally tracing the beam by looking back over my shoulder was great.

I could tell how far down this goes.

In this part I ducked because the wooden boards were so low that I thought I'd hit my head.

Look at the light that's lined up with the purple starting point. It should be lined up with the green one (the correct one)

Oh wow. But how do you know this? Do you guess? And there are still shadows everywhere, lol. I'm too dumb for this puzzle (and the next one)

the light lines on the panel aren't in the correspinding place. Next to the panel is another piece of shadow with light lines. If you slot these with the lines on the panel, you can figure out the correct place.

Lol, this is amazing. I would have never figured out.

jett

D-Member
These forest puzzles
where you have to play with the shadows to solve them
might be a bit too fucking subtle for me. I solved two by literally guessing but I'm pretty stumped now. :| The fourth
perspective panel (with the branches) inside Red Tree temple
also has me totally blocked. It looks complex as fuck but it just can't be that complicated.

Z3M0G

Edit: I shouldn't go there. Sorry folks.

I both absolutely want, and absolutely do not want to talk about this game... the only remedy is to go back home and play it!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The town area is by far the most baffling. The two locked doors with the coloured spot puzzle and the L-block/purple spot puzzle are just ridiculous. I did the tutorial bit and that did... something.

Treetops is the tutorial for those dots on the doors, it was really useful for me. Although one of the doors is a sneaky fuck and so is the panel after that (you'll love it)

killroy87

Oh wow. But how do you know this? Do you guess? And there are still shadows everywhere, lol. I'm too dumb for this puzzle (and the next one)

Lol, this is amazing. I would have never figured it out.

Haha, I mean the light even has a circle to denote a starting point. So there are really only two places it can be lined up. If one starting point doesn't work, just try the other ;)

These forest puzzles
might be a bit too fucking subtle for me. I solved two by literally guessing but I'm pretty stumped now. :| The fourth
also has me totally blocked. It looks complex as fuck but it just can't be that complicated.

I can't do the third. It won't let me even though I'm pretty sure I have the right idea (and there is only one correct path, right?)

Nibel

I'm now in the tutorial area for the -'- symbol type of puzzles and I finished the first set of tutorials with the dots, and now I'm doing the second set of those with the colored blocks. While I managed to progress to the last puzzle, I still don't quite get the rule here - any hints?

Treetops is the tutorial for those dots on the doors, it was really useful for me. Although one of the doors is a sneaky fuck and so is the panel after that (you'll love it)

I've done treetops - I just can't wrap my head around the one to get inside the church (well, opening the door anyway). It doesn't make any sense - there's one too many red and purple blots.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've done treetops - I just can't wrap my head around the one to get inside the church (well, opening the door anyway). It doesn't make any sense - there's one too many red and purple blots.

Have you opened the other door yet?

and have you done the bunker?

-griffy-

Banned
I just played the game for 2 hours in VR. Certainly not a polished VR experience, but the sense of place is fantastic. I knew that e.g. "over there there's that, and if I turn here I should get there". (I've omitted some shots/scenes below due to puzzle spoilers)

following the upwards movement of the device and then naturally tracing the beam by looking back over my shoulder was great.

In this part I ducked because the wooden boards were so low that I thought I'd hit my head.
What's up with the heavy chromatic aberration in the VR mode?

Durante

What's up with the heavy chromatic aberration in the VR mode?
That's not chromatic aberration, that's chromatic aberration correction. The optics of the HMD introduce chromatic aberration, so the image is pre-corrected in software so as to appear without aberration when looked at in VR.

ultron87

Lol, this is amazing. I would have never figured out.

(Green Forest area)
I think the hint to this one is that the if you look at the panel it is crooked from the base. So you can guess that the shadows might not be lined up properly. It took me forever too.

-griffy-

Banned
That's not chromatic aberration, that's chromatic aberration correction. The optics of the HMD introduce chromatic aberration, so the image is pre-corrected in software so as to appear without aberration when looked at in VR.

Oh, I had no idea! That's pretty cool

The tutorial for the tetris isn't on the village. In fact-

Is there a certain order to do the locations in? I'm asking because I just visited a new place and have loads of new icons and stuff that I've never seen before and I'm completely stuck on several puzzles there.

-the village seems to be the culmination of every puzzle type and I'd suggest doing it last.

These forest puzzles

For the Red Tree Temple
the 4th one stumped for a long time - think back to the pink tree puzzles: the tree used to show the solution but something happened to it

(Forest area)
I think the hint to this one is that the if you look at the panel it is crooked from the base. So you can guess that the shadows might not be lined up properly. It took me forever too.

That's pretty much it IIRC. There's another one down by the symmetry area which
makes it look like it's pointing to the rock in front, but the base of the stand shows that it was pointing to the formation to the right

Robiin

I am soo stuck on one puzzle insidethe house with plants and colored blocks. There is a yellow glass
wall that you see through to simplify the colors and grouping them together. There are to puzzles. Solved the first one, but the second one is freaking impossible to line through.
I was banging my head against the wall last night and I can't stop thinking about it...

Grexeno

I am soo stuck on one puzzle insidethe house with plants and colored blocks. There is a yellow glass
wall that you see through to simplify the colors and grouping them together. There are to puzzles. Solved the first one, but the second one is freaking impossible to line through.
I was banging my head against the wall last night and I can't stop thinking about it...
For the second one, you don't look through the yellow glass.

Is there
only a yellow wall?

TheRed

I just solved this one, was pretty cool. There's more than one glass

So for the treetops/treehouse area I've
got all the panels down that lead to the house that has a door that operates on the timer as well as the ones that form a bridge to well a bridge. I'm stuck on how to keep the door open for the house. I've notice there is a similar pink panel inside the house through the holes but it doesn't appear there is an angle to open it outside the house and when I try to run to the door from the outside panel it closes before I reach it. Is there an angle close to the house to open either the indoor or outdoor pink panel in order to open the door in time to get inside?

Literally everything. I honestly can't explain because literally every rule initially set up has immediately been broken. You'll have to provide me with the entire ruleset.

Yeah, I agree. That puzzle set was way flexible then what it lead you to believe. It only teaches you one way and it's pretty much the only way to solve all of them until you reach a certain one where you can't do it like you always did. It's bull. Always keep in mind that the rules can and will be reaaaaaaaaallllllyyyyyyyyy fleexxxibbllleeeeeeee.

Woodchipper

Blow wants one to feel really fucking stupid, doesn't he? So,
I'm in the swamp and have done this long tutorial of sorts on the star symbols, and suddenly comes a panel with just one star and a bunch of black and white squares. Can someone please explain what the idea behind these lonely stars are, and the logic in it.

Thank you so much in advance!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't know which other door you mean. I haven't opened any of the doors in town.
I dunno what the bunker is. Is that the door in the desert by the coast?

There are two doors close to each other with similar symbols on - the church and some house. You need to
do the house first.

Bunker is the
greenhouse thing with all the weird coloured lights

got all the panels down that lead to the house that has a door that operates on the timer as well as the ones that form a bridge to well a bridge. I'm stuck on how to keep the door open for the house. I've notice there is a similar pink panel inside the house through the holes but it doesn't appear there is an angle to open it outside the house and when I try to run to the door from the outside panel it closes before I reach it. Is there an angle close to the house to open either the indoor or outdoor pink panel in order to open the door in time to get inside?

Did you solve all the bridges? You need to rotate them in a way that it makes a quick path. I think you can open it from the inside but it's not the 'main' solution.

Blow wants one to feel really fucking stupid, doesn't he? So,
I'm in the swamp and have done this long tutorial of sorts on the star symbols, and suddenly comes a panel with just one star and a bunch of black and white squares. Can someone please explain what the idea behind these lonely stars are, and the logic in it.

Thank you so much in advance!

That one took me a while too: basically, what you know by now is that Stars always need to be in pairs, and that they can interact with other colors: but there's no other star. So it's teaching you that 'stars always need to be together with something else of the same color' and you have to steal a black square for the star. I think the one right after would be a better tutorial though.

spannicus

that's dope.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Stuck there too for a while. I was wondering if the
green panels that seem optional might let you see he switch? The only way I can think of is to activate that switch from somewhere else.

Wait, you can
rotate them? How. Will check later

Top Bottom