• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Woodchipper

I did, a page back:
That one took me a while too: basically, what you know by now is that Stars always need to be in pairs (and no more), and that they can interact with other colors: but there's no other star in that puzzle. So it's 'teaching' you that 'stars always need to be together with something else of the same color, no matter the symbol' and you have to steal a black square for the star. I think the one right after would be a better tutorial though.
Thanks!!!

NeoRausch

Guys really....

Where do I find the tried tutorial? Already figured it how to solve them myself but I'm still missing the tutorial panels.

KingKong

If I've done the symmetry and pyramid, whats the next logical area to go to? I wandered around and seem to just run into puzzles I dont know yet and dont see any more hint panels

Really wish there was a map, around where geographically is this swamp people are talking about

Only have one beacon on and I'm happy as hell I even got that far!

So I moved on to the colorful trees area that have tree looking lines on the panel. I've done the first 3 just by trial and error. Is there a way for me to figure out what to do here? I've looked at all the trees around but I'm not seeing any correlation.

Just finished
the quarry
and I enjoyed it. Was not fustrating like the last area. Helped that I found the tutorials for
color splash which is accessible by boat.
For those confused by the Y symbol,
it removes one puzzle item

iMax

So I moved on to the colorful trees area that have tree looking lines on the panel. I've done the first 3 just by trial and error. Is there a way for me to figure out what to do here? I've looked at all the trees around but I'm not seeing any correlation.

Take a closer look at the tree. It might be bearing answers.

Atrophis

For fucks sake I'm so dumb. I've been wondering how get to certain areas while completely ignoring the alternative way to travel that I already knew about that is actually required.

NeoRausch

I'm on the same boat. I actually don't really understand what that symbol is supposed to mean at all. I got through the first set of tutorials downstairs by
isolating it with one dot, but I don't even know if that's what you're supposed to do. lol

It's
negating one error of any kind. Or to say it better... It demands one error.
So, leave one dot with it, or put it in a pack with one square of the wrong color etc...

GhaleonEB

The Witness does a couple of conceptual things really well. The first is, there's a palpable feeling that there's much more going on that what I currently understand. Like, everywhere I look I'm starting to see things arranged in very deliberate ways, and I can tell I don't get it yet, but I'm slowly building up a vocabulary to make sense of it. I have this strong feeling of anticipation, because at some point I know things are going to click, and that keeps me going.

The other is in questioning what I've actually learned. A couple times now I've done tutorial panels, then worked through a main area, and then gotten stuck. But when I went back and really scrutinized the earlier puzzles, there was more than one thing going on with them. I had picked up on a surface lesson (early area spoilers), such as
separate black from white dots. But the actual lesson was, separate all black dots from all the other white dots.
This has me questioning not only what I'm seeing, but what I'm learning, to make sure there's not another level what I'm supposed to learn. And sometimes, there is.

At any rate, I cleared my first major area, the rocky area by the water, and lit the
symmetry beam
. Now I'm working through the line of panels along the water's edge,
where the first two you trace out the stone columns that are in the background. And the third in that sequence has me stumped, since there's just one column but tracing it doesn't seem to work.
I'm guessing the answer is either in finding a new perspective to view from, or from a lesson provided in the other two panels that I didn't pick up on. I'll go back to it tonight. (Not asking for a hint, just noting where I'm at.)

Damn, I feel cool for figuring it out a little, haha. Thanks man :)

Let me know when you get to the one after this, as I've been stuck on it too 👀 My hint for you would be
the Y lets you make a mistake with one block, so figure out a way to separate, but still make one single mistake.

Edit: ayyyyy top of the page! What up, y'all? I dreamt of lines and grids all night.

That still does not get me anywhere because I seemingly can not seem to find a pattern that doesn't end up me making a mistake twice.

Don't brute force them. Vague hint:
Look at the first one you solved. Something nearby correlates to the panel.

A few hints more hints increasing in specificity:
One of these things is not like the other.
The corresponding tree is a different colour.
One of these branches is not like the other.
The correct branch is the one with the apple.

Robiin

Sure.

Spoiler tagged it.

I understand fuck all about that entire puzzle strategy.
This is a straight spoiler about the puzzle:
You need to trap one of the green ones+all the red together with the icon. The rest needs to be left outside.
If I'm remembering correctly. Generally the rule for this icon and puzzles like it is you need to
seperate the colors, except for one wrong which will be converted by the icon. The icon needs to be used and turn/ignore one block to get an OK on the puzzle.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just started and I think this is amazing... Just amazing. I just did the
seperation puzzles, then the symmetry ones.
You'll all mock me now for this, but somewhere around the 30th or 40 th panel there were tears running down my face. I don't even have an explanation for this, just happened. It happened when I solved the
symmetry panel that wasn't finished properly and drips off, I just loved that touch.
Then I instinctly solved the symmetry puzzle
by tracing the outline of the rocks in the sea
. Then I decided I was loving this too much and had to take a break. Goddamn this is so incredible already

jett

D-Member
Well I'll take those hints into consideration for that one puzzle. I was starting to draw several patterns and combining/substracing peices of it lol. I'm still not sure what to do, hopefully the answer jumps out.

Well this game really makes me feel like a moron, im making progress but sometimes i complete a bunch of puzzles and i still dont understand how... If that makes sense

I think the game has a problem with how it teaches you how the patterns work. There's this one puzzle in the middle of some water that is like the "final" puzzle and nothing the game has taught me up to that point has worked. Apparently I never really learned the patterns for this area. :p

NeoRausch

Don't brute force them. Vague hint:
Look at the first one you solved. Something nearby correlates to the panel.

A few hints more hints increasing in specificity:
One of these things is not like the other.
The corresponding tree is a different colour.
One of these branches is not like the other.
The correct branch is the one with the apple.

Gotta give it to you, that's some pretty good spoiler tagging!

hughesta

Banned
The second to last puzzle on the forest, with the
chirping
has succeeded in giving me a migraine. Gonna go lie down before getting back at it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I think the game has a problem with how it teaches you how the patterns work. There's this one puzzle in the middle of some water that is like the "final" puzzle and nothing the game has taught me up to that point has worked. Apparently I never really learned the patterns for this area. :p

You are not supposed to be able to clear most areas in one go, you need to explore more!

Literally everything. I honestly can't explain because literally every rule initially set up has immediately been broken. You'll have to provide me with the entire ruleset.
Sure, entire tetris ruleset from what I figured after doing the area two hours ago:
1. Every piece must be contained by lines in an area of its exact shape. The exavt location of the area doesn't matter except that it needs to contain the piece.
2. One area can contain multiple pieces if they fill it exactly without overlapping.
3. If the piece rotates it can fill the area at any rotation (rotated, not mirrored/flipped), otherwise only in the shown rotation.
4. Hollow pieces remove their exact shape of blocks by overlapping with regular pieces. Removed area can be filled by another piece.
5. Hollow pieces must always remove their entire shapes' worth of blocks.

I hope I didn't forget anything. It was definitely entirely consistent as I played through it.

This is a straight spoiler about the puzzle:
You need to trap one of the green ones+all the red together with the icon. The rest needs to be left outside.
If I'm remembering correctly. Generally the rule for this icon and puzzles like it is you need to
seperate the colors, except for one wrong which will be converted by the icon. The icon needs to be used and turn/ignore one block to get an OK on the puzzle.

Judging by your logic I should have failed the previous one's as well, because I did not lock all of those up.

My understanding was is that I need to trap all the green one's + 1 red so that red one can be "changed". That worked before, but it doesn't anymore. So weird.

Phionoxx

Stuck in the basement area of the desert temple.
Think I only have one or two more panels to solve. I just turned on a light that shows an unusual rectangular panel that is 2x5. I know I need to use the water levels to see the correct mirrored path to take, but can only catch just one glimpse of the corner. Anything else I need to do to solve this one?

Saiyan-Rox

Okay so I didn't stop and backtracked to the hedge mazes and so far so good.

Man this damn game is like bloodborne that feeling you get when you figure it out.

Robiin

One hour until I get off work and can go back to the Island. This game has taken my mind off of my boring work chores all day. Glad I don't have a job which requires concentration/mindfulness.

This is me right now.
200_s.gif

Nice, good job! I'm stuck for the longest time in
the symmetry room where the floor is the grid and you need to draw the pieces you chose.
. Trying to solve it on my own but if you could drop a vague hint in the case I end up spending more than one day on it, haha.

That's what I woke up too this morning, don't want to give too much away but
realize that it's literally impossible to draw each shape individually. The symmetry won't allow that. However, tetris shapes can be grouped together, right? Work from that thought.

If I've done the symmetry and pyramid, whats the next logical area to go to? I wandered around and seem to just run into puzzles I dont know yet and dont see any more hint panels

Go past the desert and past the industrial-looking area beyond it. There's a series of puzzles in an area full of trees that you should be able to get into very easily from the industrial area.

Robiin

Judging by your logic I should have failed the previous one's as well, because I did not lock all of those up.

My understanding was is that I need to trap all the green one's + 1 red so that red one can be "changed". That worked before, but it doesn't anymore. So weird.
It generally doesn't matter if you change the red's or the green's.
Remember that you don't have to catch all of one color in the same line, but that they can't be inside of the area you are working with
. If that wording makes any sense. I really have difficulty explaining this, but looking at your picture I see the solution.

There are two tetris piece puzzles that have me getting seriously frustrated over the past two days! They happened to be among the first puzzles I discovered when I booted up the game. I "figured out" most of the logic (or so I think...) but there's two that, for the goddamn life of me, I cannot figure out. I just don't get it. I keep leaving to do other things but every time I go back to this area I get anxiety. It's kinda awesome.

But what is REALLY scaring me is that there's like 50 more of these goddamn puzzles off in the distance. If I can't get these two, I'm fucked.

Details for those who are wondering which I'm talking about:
Swamp area, over the first raft bridge, and up the stairs. Theres a row of four panels on the right. I can't solve the 3rd one that has a a single square tetris piece, a double and a four-long piece. How the hell am I supposed to isolate that center cube?? The other one I cannot figure out is the 2nd panel on the gate behind these. I can't isolate the tall piece.

Driving me nuts!! I don't really want help but I think I need someone to help refocus my brain so I can approach these again without immediately getting pissed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Did you ever manage to figure this one out? I'm fairly sure I know all of the relevant rules, I just can't get it to work. I'm trying to find a path that separates the two pairs of white stars while also separating the white and black squares on the top right from one another. Been at this one off and on for hours now, hoping someone can at least tell me if there's something I'm not seeing. I also wouldn't be opposed to someone straight up telling me the solution, at this point I've got 118 panels solved without any help so I feel ok about asking.

No, sorry. I left and went to the shady trees instead. I couldn't figure it out.

MrBS

I got stuck on a new area's tutorial puzzle before going to bed last night. This is going to haunt me at work all day!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
There are two tetris piece puzzles that have me getting seriously frustrated over the past two days! They happened to be among the first puzzles I discovered when I booted up the game. I "figured out" most of the logic (or so I think...) but there's two that, for the goddamn life of me, I cannot figure out. I just don't get it. I keep leaving to do other things but every time I go back to this area I get anxiety. It's kinda awesome.

But what is REALLY scaring me is that there's like 50 more of these goddamn puzzles off in the distance. If I can't get these two, I'm fucked.

Swamp area, over the first raft bridge, and up the stairs. Theres a row of four panels on the right. I can't solve the 3rd one that has a a single square tetris piece, a double and a four-long piece. How the hell am I supposed to isolate that center cube?? The other one I cannot figure out is the 2nd panel on the gate behind these. I can't isolate the tall piece.

Driving me nuts!! I don't really want help but I think I need someone to help refocus my brain so I can approach these again without immediately getting pissed.

Try failing the puzzle before it, there may be multiple ways to tackle the problem.

Saiyan-Rox

And now I'm stuck again

Yeah rage quit for sure this time. I'm completely lost on where to go since everywhere has things on them which I don't understand to do.

I've been beaten.

It generally doesn't matter if you change the red's or the green's.
Remember that you don't have to catch all of one color in the same line, but that they can't be inside of the area you are working with
. If that wording makes any sense. I really have difficulty explaining this, but looking at your picture I see the solution.

My mind is trying to grasp the situation here.......

The line I create forms some sort of 'box' in which lights are trapped and the one's outside the line are blocked, right?

Hint:
you don't have to isolate pieces.

I don't think this game is for me, unfortunately. The world is stunningly beautiful but the game does nothing with it, it's just a backdrop for puzzles that seem straight out of a free/cheap iOS puzzle game. The puzzles are fine for what they are, and I'm not super far into it at this point, but so far I'm not seeing where the $40 price tag came from.

Sai-kun

Banned
oh, i did listen ;)

Nice work, haha. I felt so smart after that one.

Quarry done. I am the 1%. This is the first time the trophy percentages feel like a race.

Can you give me some tips for
the red/green puzzle that's located right next to the two platform switches? It's killing me! It's the one with 4 red squares in the middle and green on the top and right side of the grid, with the Y in the bottom left corner.

This is a minor hint of the discovery IGN's reviewer Chloi made today - probably one of the people in the world farthest along in the game:
You can spot differences in the island when you load an early game save and compare it to a late game one. Your puzzle-solving presence there is making changes, slowly over time, that are not immediately apparent.

There are (at least) two things on the island that are important that no one realizes are important yet, and at least one door that I think literally no one has opened :)

I was checking Justin's posts to see if he's alluded to anything about a new game following the ending, and this... This...

This fucking game.

I wish I wasn't at work and could look around more now that I've beaten the endgame. I want to go alllll the way down the rabbit hole.

Quarry done. I am the 1%. This is the first time the trophy percentages feel like a race.

I went to check all of them and the town is at 0%. Glad to be part of that zero, haha!

Guys, this game. This game!! There are sooooo many more secrets and mysteries than people realize. It truly is layers of an onion -

- Solving the puzzles.
- Piecing together the story.
- Finding the "collectible" puzzle panels.
(Spoiler for something most have discovered by now)
- Finding all the drawn lines in the island itself.
- Finding the vaults that contain the hexagon papers for use in the
theater.

...until this morning, I thought that was "it." And I thought that was MORE than enough mystery for any one game. But... it's puzzles all the way down. I genuinely believe, in my heart of hearts, that it will be over a month until everything has been solved.

This is a minor hint of the discovery IGN's reviewer Chloi made today - probably one of the people in the world farthest along in the game:
You can spot differences in the island when you load an early game save and compare it to a late game one. Your puzzle-solving presence there is making changes, slowly over time, that are not immediately apparent.

There are (at least) two things on the island that are important that no one realizes are important yet, and at least one door that I think literally no one has opened :)

I want to beat the maingame soon because I know for a fact there's a
system of tunnels that I found, but that all 4/5 entrances were locked to.
That, plus the ship puzzle. I really think 400+ puzzles is still just scratching the surface.

Top Bottom