• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Kemal86

These forest puzzles
where you have to play with the shadows to solve them
might be a bit too fucking subtle for me. I solved two by literally guessing but I'm pretty stumped now. :| The fourth
perspective panel (with the branches) inside Red Tree temple
also has me totally blocked. It looks complex as fuck but it just can't be that complicated.

For your second spoiler.... (just a hint)

Examine the surrounding area VERY closely...look all over

Atrophis

Really frustrating day 2. I've barely made any progress. Maybe 15 panels in two hours. Still two areas I don't know how to get to yet. Just about exhausted all of the panels I know the solution to. Two areas I don't even where to begin to start trying to solve them.

Makai

U8N78im.jpg

Any hints?
I see some path-looking shadows on the wall

Freeman76

This game is a work of art and pure genius, EASILY the best puzzle game of all time, and I totally hate the devious FUCKS behind it. I can only play for a short time as i feel so damn thick, im stuck every 5 minutes and it leaves me feeling very inadequate. Genius.

pfr

Can't wait for this wave of people struggling in the
swamp
to get to the
blue blocks

Just completed the
Swamp
, but oh wow is my head hurting. Besides this I've only done the
Symmetry
, nothing else. How much harder does it get?

All right, I've finished the game. Well, the endgame at least. So, non-spoilery stuff: when you light 7 beacons and get to the mountain and do what follows, when next you load the game you'll be in a new game. HOWEVER if you want to continue from where you were, it seems you can just go load a save from just before you triggered the ending. What I don't know is if there's anything different about this new game, so I'm kind of wondering if I should just wing it and resolve everything to get back to where I was.

I can't believe I was able to do all those endgame puzzles on my own, hah... I did have to draw some of them out though to make it easier to process.

Just completed the
Swamp
, but oh wow is my head hurting. Besides this I've only done the
Symmetry
, nothing else. How much harder does it get?

Imo the Swamp is either the hardest or the second to hardest area.

Any hints?

You took two routes to open each gate, you'll use two techniques in this puzzle.

All right, I've finished the game. Well, the endgame at least. So, non-spoilery stuff: when you light 7 beacons and get to the mountain and do what follows, when next you load the game you'll be in a new game. HOWEVER if you want to continue from where you were, it seems you can just go load a save from just before you triggered the ending. What I don't know is if there's anything different about this new game, so I'm kind of wondering if I should just wing it and resolve everything to get back to where I was.

I can't believe I was able to do all those endgame puzzles on my own, hah... I did have to draw some of them out though to make it easier to process.

Nice, good job! I'm stuck for the longest time in
the symmetry room where the floor is the grid and you need to draw the pieces you chose.
. Trying to solve it on my own but if you could drop a vague hint in the case I end up spending more than one day on it, haha.

Saiyan-Rox

Finally got past the 2nd walking button puzzle just to come across those Tetris blocks on the stepping puzzle -_- okay now I'm pissed off as I can't do those. Guess I'm off exploring again...

Woodchipper

Again, could someone please explain
the "star/sun" symbols. I know they need to be seperated to pairs when many, but what's the rules for when there's only one?

Thanks in advance

Hmmm..

I can not seem the finish the last puzzle in the Quarry inside the main building.

I know that I need to block the path so that all the greens are still in range of the 'triangle' and that the red symbols are blocked off instead of one, but I can not find the pattern for it.

Any hints?

Just a heads-up, spoiler tagged images don't work on mobile. The mobile app happily ignores the spoiler tags on images. You're better off just using links for the images.

Vague hint:
Remember what you did to get those doors to open?
More specific:
One door was opened following one set of rules. The other door was opened using another set of rules.
The answer:
The right half of the puzzle requires the line to be in light. The other half requires your lines to be in shade.

Windmill Spoiler:
Anyone got more than
4 of the videos? Trying to find the 5th and 6th and I think I know where one of them is but no clue how to get there

--------------

A clue for the first door of the shipyard? I'm unsure whether I'm meant to know what's going on.

Are you talking about the
shipwreck? Purple panel, lots of colored dots... I think it's the one Blow said less than 1% of the players would complete. Haven't heard of anyone doing it so far.

Again, could someone please explain
the "star/sun" symbols. I know they need to be seperated to pairs when many, but what's the rules for when there's only one?

Thanks in advance

I did, a page back:
That one took me a while too: basically, what you know by now is that Stars always need to be in pairs (and no more), and that they can interact with other colors: but there's no other star in that puzzle. So it's 'teaching' you that 'stars always need to be together with something else of the same color, no matter the symbol' and you have to steal a black square for the star. I think the one right after would be a better tutorial though.
[/QUOTE

Awesome stuff
That's awesome.

DJ88

Literally everything. I honestly can't explain because literally every rule initially set up has immediately been broken. You'll have to provide me with the entire ruleset.

Yeah you're just wrong.

The swamp is definitely difficult, but the ruleset is completey consistent the entire time.

Tetraeon

I'm just going to re quote this because I'm still really stuck on it. I know somebody said the tetris blocks can't overlap, but how am I supposed to do this without them overlapping?!

I answered this earlier, but think of the ways those blocks can fit in the puzzle area. The game teaches you about the blocks in the first puzzle, then reduces the playing area so you have to think more creatively.
Consider the fact that any shape you make with the pieces cannot be hollow, as the line could not draw around the inside in one go. The marked tiles with the shapes you are creating also must be inside the "safe" area, or a separate area if necessary for the puzzle.
Spoilers for the answer:

xxxx
xxoo
xxoo
xxxx
x's being where the blocks fit, the four high one goes on one far left side and the two L shapes fit in in the opposite (bottom to top and vice versa) order of where they appear to the right of it. x is filled, o is empty. The line goes right 4, up 1, left 2, up 2, right 2, up 1.

These forest puzzles
where you have to play with the shadows to solve them
might be a bit too fucking subtle for me. I solved two by literally guessing but I'm pretty stumped now. :| The fourth
perspective panel (with the branches) inside Red Tree temple
also has me totally blocked. It looks complex as fuck but it just can't be that complicated.

The puzzle in second spoiler might actually be my least favorite thing I've come across in the game took me so long to finally see what they want you to see, I don't know if I missed the hint or what but when I finally saw it I just had to take a break and do something else.

Yeah you're just wrong.

The swamp is definitely difficult, but the ruleset is completey consistent the entire time.

If consistent you mean they use
tetris
sure but it's entirely different from what it teaches you at first which was basically just
making shapes.
It's just very flexible and that's fine, it should have been more clear on that end rather than give you 10+ puzzles that are solved with the first idea.

cyba89

Nice, good job! I'm stuck for the longest time in
the symmetry room where the floor is the grid and you need to draw the pieces you chose.
. Trying to solve it on my own but if you could drop a vague hint in the case I end up spending more than one day on it, haha.

Hint if you need it:
Arrange the pieces in the middle rows.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
No they aren't. I had to Youtube some answers because the only rule is there are no rules.

That's not true at all. I am going through them right now and they definitely have rules. You should go back to the tutorial puzzles and try to fail them, it will teach you the rule set.

Rosur

Tetris puzzles are my weakness it seems... Playing through some of the keep puzzles and got stuck on the L and long horizontal Tetris pieces.

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah I think I'm done for tonight I'm starting to get angry

Don't know where to go all, the puzzles around me I don't know how to solve or even where the tutorials for them are. I'm sure its just me being stupid and not thinking but every puzzle I've come across now either has Tetris blocks or coloured balls and I've no clue -_-

I'm just done.

Tetris puzzles are my weakness it seems... Playing through some of the keep puzzles and got stuck on the L and long horizontal Tetris pieces.

I have a hard time with them too, and then when they add another rule on top of them my brain can't deal with it.

Hmmm..

I can not seem the finish the last puzzle in the Quarry inside the main building.

I know that I need to block the path so that all the greens are still in range of the 'triangle' and that the red symbols are blocked off instead of one, but I can not find the pattern for it.

Anyone?

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm in the Desert and need maybe just a pointer in the right direction, as far as how I should be thinking about the panels there.

so, I figured out the first four, which were the ones that you use the sun's reflection to see the correct path, and now there's a set of three, and a single panel that seem to brighten up when I get closer/look at them more directly, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how to find the solution. I think it has something to do with placing the cursor, and if you go the wrong way, the screen starts to darken?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm in the Desert and need maybe just a pointer in the right direction, as far as how I should be thinking about the panels there.

so, I figured out the first four, which were the ones that you use the sun's reflection to see the correct path, and now there's a set of three, and a single panel that seem to brighten up when I get closer/look at them more directly, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how to find the solution. I think it has something to do with placing the cursor, and if you go the wrong way, the screen starts to darken?

Your first instincts were right...keep it up and try and explore other vantage points.

S1kkZ

help needed:

castle
how the fuck do i find the correct path through the mazes? the first one has some paths blocked but the next (brown hedge) has no indicators. there are way too many ways through it. tips? i tried to see something in the shadows, but no dice.

Has anyone reached the green Tetris panel with a single L right in the middle? I took a picture of it and I literally have been staring at this thing my entire lunch break and I don't see how a line can be drawn around it with the cut outs in the panel.

Is it the 3x3 one with
the cyan blocks? If so, contrary to what it seems, all the cyans stick together and you're making of the greens be the mistake

4x4.

No. It is the one with the the green and red symbols. The sort of triangle looking shape cancels out 1 red one but I guess I need all the green one's within range of that triangle?

help needed:

castle
how the fuck do i find the correct path through the mazes? the first one has some paths blocked but the next (brown hedge) has no indicators. there are way too many ways through it. tips? i tried to see something in the shadows, but no dice.

Hint:
Look at the ground.

I managed to fumble my way through a couple of the tetris pieces and found the
boat

now I'm in a treehouse. got round most of it but suddenly one of the panels has white stars and I have no idea. when I think I've done it two of them will flash but I can't figure out why.

http://i.imgur.com/OmiyYra.png

Did you ever manage to figure this one out? I'm fairly sure I know all of the relevant rules, I just can't get it to work. I'm trying to find a path that separates the two pairs of white stars while also separating the white and black squares on the top right from one another. Been at this one off and on for hours now, hoping someone can at least tell me if there's something I'm not seeing. I also wouldn't be opposed to someone straight up telling me the solution, at this point I've got 118 panels solved without any help so I feel ok about asking.

Xeilyn

Well this game really makes me feel like a moron, im making progress but sometimes i complete a bunch of puzzles and i still dont understand how... If that makes sense

Sai-kun

Banned
Your first instincts were right...keep it up and try and explore other vantage points.

Damn, I feel cool for figuring it out a little, haha. Thanks man :)

help needed:

castle
how the fuck do i find the correct path through the mazes? the first one has some paths blocked but the next (brown hedge) has no indicators. there are way too many ways through it. tips?

Here's a hint:
It's an environmental thing. pay attention to how things look in the maze.

Let me know when you get to the one after this, as I've been stuck on it too 👀 My hint for you would be
the Y lets you make a mistake with one block, so figure out a way to separate, but still make one single mistake.

Edit: ayyyyy top of the page! What up, y'all? I dreamt of lines and grids all night.

4x4.

No. It is the one with the the green and red symbols. The sort of triangle looking shape cancels out 1 red one but I guess I need all the green one's within range of that triangle?

Can I get a picture? I think there are two similar ones and I don't remember which you're talking about.

Top Bottom