• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

G-Bus

Banned
The rules didn't change. Vague explanation of the last orchard panel:
The environment changed sometime after the construction of the puzzle.

More specific:
Compare the panel to the tree.

Answer:
The branch that had the apple on it was broken off after the panel representing that tree was constructed.

Oh man, so obvious now that it's been pointed out. Okay, one and only spoiler I'll do. Definitely have to pay attention to my surroundings. Thanks..

Chris R

I'm going to say that I'm disappointed in the solution for the third hedge maze in the castle.

I often game with no sound whatsoever, requiring sound there is a poor design decision IMO

I want to beat the maingame soon because I know for a fact there's a
system of tunnels that I found, but that all 5 entrances were locked to.
That, plus the ship puzzle. I really think 400+ puzzles is still just scratching the surface.

The way I see it, beating the endgame now is just accomplishing one of many goals with the game. Now with that out of the way, I can focus on going through and solving the rest of the areas and beacons, and then dig deep into all these elusive, juicy secrets. I mean, I finished the endgame with less than HALF the total puzzles solved. HALF! And I only have 3.5 areas left to do (already did half the quarry before running into symbols I didn't recognize). Where the hell are all the rest of those puzzles hiding? Just what all is this game hiding!

Oh man, so obvious now that it's been pointed out. Okay, one and only spoiler I'll do. Definitely have to pay attention to my surroundings. Thanks..

If you look through the gate you're trying to unlock you
can even see the apple and the broken branch
. There's a couple of puzzles that are like that and seemingly 'changed' from construction, which I think is an awesome touch.

The way I see it, beating the endgame now is just accomplishing one of many goals with the game. Now with that out of the way, I can focus on going through and solving the rest of the areas and beacons, and then dig deep into all these elusive, juicy secrets. I mean, I finished the endgame with less than HALF the total puzzles solved. HALF! And I only have 3.5 areas left to do (already did half the quarry before running into symbols I didn't recognize). Where the hell are all the rest of those puzzles hiding? Just what all is this game hiding!

Definitely. To be honest if Blow's next game had the core concept of 'sudoku puzzles' instead of line ones, I'm still in day one haha.

I am getting seriously angry thanks to this god forsaken puzzle with the stupid green and red lights. Despite all of the hints there is absolutely nothing that works.

The Witness does a couple of conceptual things really well. The first is, there's a palpable feeling that there's much more going on that what I currently understand. Like, everywhere I look I'm starting to see things arranged in very deliberate ways, and I can tell I don't get it yet, but I'm slowly building up a vocabulary to make sense of it. I have this strong feeling of anticipation, because at some point I know things are going to click, and that keeps me going.
Indeed, quite a few times I have stumbled open something not boing what to do, and later returned and either found that solution along the way or found a new perspective on the scene. The feeling when you find all that out by yourself is unmatchable.

The first way to solve a puzzle is to know that there is a puzzle, which I have felt quite a few times in the game. While sleeping I manages to put together few clues that would solve the puzzles in some areas and how to discover more of the secrets The Witness has to offer.

+ Spoiler puzzle mountain-top
It dawned on me last night what the puzzle on the mountain was telling me. I observed it while doing it, bud didn't manage to put the two pieces together. On the bus ride to school this morning it struck me what it would mean. It was so obvious, yet so brilliant. Amazing guiding! I had even scribbled some of those down on my first go with the game but saved them for later use. Layer by layer the secrets of the island is starting to unfold.

Truant

This game probably isn't for me, but what was Jeff talking about in the Bombcast? Some sort of mindblowing moment? Spoil me.

cyba89

I want to beat the maingame soon because I know for a fact there's a
system of tunnels that I found, but that all 5 entrances were locked to.
That, plus the ship puzzle. I really think 400+ puzzles is still just scratching the surface.

Do we know if the
+1 shapes
count towards the 700 puzzle count? Otherwise I'm really wondering where all those remaining puzzles are hidden because I did
8 of the 11 lasers +the endgame
and I only finished a bit over half of all the panels.

kadotsu

Banned
Can you give me some tips for
the red/green puzzle that's located right next to the two platform switches? It's killing me! It's the one with 4 red squares in the middle and green on the top and right side of the grid, with the Y in the bottom left corner.

The dot to the left of the bottom left red square is the fault you need to keep

Solution:
From the middle: 2 left-up-3 right-2 down-2 left-down-to the exit

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Eh, screw it. I can beat Talos someday in futuretimes. I want to get in on this momentum.

Logged into my PC at home and installing.

edit: Done o_O must be a pretty small package. Can't wait to check it out tonight.

Robiin

My mind is trying to grasp the situation here.......

The line I create forms some sort of 'box' in which lights are trapped and the one's outside the line are blocked, right?
Exacltly, every time your line reaches the
outer edges, you have effectively "cut out" an area. You need to "cut out" and seperate the red ones+the icon from the green ones, but leave one green inside the red area which the icon will "eliminate" from the equaction. Remember that all of the green ones in this case don't have to be in the same box.

Link me the picture again (I'm on mobile) if you want me to give you a good starting position.

Edit: sorry I forgot spoilers!!!

So. Question about the pottery.

What to do with it? I cleared the room, got the boat, but somehow I can go to the roof and see the pottery there which has different colors.

And the Tetris puzzles. I really dont get them.

I assume I got to the tutorial of them, where there is one tetris piece and a lot of dots. I dont get what I am supposed to do there.

And what about the +4 +5 etc.?

Are these all the "shape" puzzles you find in the world? I have +5 now and some of it seems they show on those black boxes.

And the
tree-shadow-puzzle

I finished the blue one. That was easy. I cant really finish the one, where you have to connect them through the light-spaces. I am at the 5th or so and dont have a clue how to use my perspective to solve it.

Oh man, need a hint:
Shadow/light tree panels. Last one, the one who opens the lazer I guess. Should I mix shadow with light or is just a matter of perspective?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Puzzle on the
ship
near the
castle

All of the colored dots do have to be hit by either "my" line or the mirrored, invisible one right? It doesn't work for me and I wonder if I dont know specific rules for this yet.

And the Tetris puzzles. I really dont get them.

I assume I got to the tutorial of them, where there is one tetris piece and a lot of dots. I dont get what I am supposed to do there.

The tutorial for the tetris is on the swamp, that's an advanced puzzle already.

Do we know if the
+1 shapes
count towards the 700 puzzle count? Otherwise I'm really wondering where all those remaining puzzles are hidden because I did
8 of the 11 lasers +the endgame
and I only finished a bit over half of all the panels.

I don't think we know, but it could be, I guess :/

After wandering through the whole island, still at 40 puzzles, I went straight to the bunker. And it made me realize what I was getting wrong in the keep last night.

So far my policy has been to only really start digging into an area if I immediately see something I can solve.

Mindlog

During class all day all I could think about was this game. I'm still stumped at
the door opening the quarry and the color panels in the greenhouse.
I got in there through another direction and that door was taunting me for the longest time.
Came back to it and felt soooooooooooooooooooooo dumb for not getting it the first dozen times lol.
If you are there you have all the knowledge you need to open the door. It's just a matter of seeing the very very very obvious solution.
Any idea why this Puzzle solve doesn't work
Look closer. There is a reason it doesn't work and there is only one thing you can change. These things are related.
It's partly a callback to an earlier puzzle in a completely different area.
This will come up again soon on a puzzle that I solved by accident, but noticed afterward how I managed a solution.

Grinchy

Banned
It feels so good to figure out the reasoning behind a tough puzzle.

It is so frustrating not being able to figure out the reasoning behind a tough puzzle.

Holy fuck at discovering the trick for the third maze in the
castle
. I got chills. This game is a masterpiece in perception and puzzle design.

Tainted

Is there a gameplay reason the PC version automatically created a seperate savefile to the one it has been using up until now ? I'm at 126+1

I now have 2 save games, the 2nd one is at around 118+1

The console versions may do it as well

Exacltly, every time your line reaches the
outer edges, you have effectively "cut out" an area. You need to "cut out" and seperate the red ones+the icon from the green ones, but leave one green inside the red area which the icon will "eliminate" from the equaction. Remember that all of the green ones in this case don't have to be in the same box.

Link me the picture again (I'm on mobile) if you want me to give you a good starting position.

Edit: sorry I forgot spoilers!!!

Here you go.

Because I still do not understand a single clue.

I feel like a moron.

My kids (6&8) wanted to just walk around and admire the scenery and next thing I heard are unlock sounds from some maze puzzle. I had to run in and stop them thinking I'd lose situational awareness of how something was solved. haha.

Is there a gameplay reason the PC version automatically created a seperate savefile to the one it has been using up until now ? I'm at 126+1

I now have 2 save games, the 2nd one is at around 118+1

The console versions may do it as well

I haven't tested it but it seems to me it creates a new save each time you launch the game. Perhaps at specific points as well? I don't think they take up much space though so I wouldn't worry about bloat.

hydruxo

I'm at 114 puzzles and I don't even know what the fuck you guys are talking about with the + stuff haha. This game is amazing.

I'm going to say that I'm disappointed in the solution for the third hedge maze in the castle.

Holy fuck at discovering the trick for the third maze in the
castle
. I got chills. This game is a masterpiece in perception and puzzle design.

Completely opposite reactions to the exact same puzzle on the same page!

(For what it's worth, I'm in the middle. I got it and just moved on without really thinking about it.)

Interesting to see widely different reactions to the same things. I recommended what I thought was a very easy area to someone earlier, and he just had to straight up walk away after a few minutes.

Nibel

It's
negating one error of any kind. Or to say it better... It demands one error.
So, leave one dot with it, or put it in a pack with one square of the wrong color etc...

This makes sense, but that last puzzle panel still completely confuses me.. :(

Tainted

I haven't tested it but it seems to me it creates a new save each time you launch the game. Perhaps at specific points as well? I don't think they take up much space though so I wouldn't worry about bloat.

This is the first time it's created a new savefile after countless launches, so I'm just thinking I may have hit a branching path in the 'story' or messed up somewhere along the line and the game is helping me along in case I need to revert to the other save.

Top Bottom