• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

justjim89

I thought I was through the worst and most unfair pixel hunt bullshit of this game when I got past the
reflections in the water under the desert temple,
but this
tree shadow section
may be just as bad. I get the rules and I have one of the doors unlocked, but the branch of puzzles
to the left of the split is absurd. I'm about 4 deep and finding the shadows the give you an approximate idea of what the puzzle answer is is just awful
.I'm still waiting on the game to make me feel smart or satisfied. So far most of my 5 hours or so has felt like a chore.

Robiin

Here you go.

Because I still do not understand a single clue.

I feel like a moron.

[spoilerhttp://s13.postimg.org/7kmkheb5j/image.jpg[/spoiler]
Step 1:
left x2, down, left, up, left. Now you have taken care of one green.
Step 2:
down, right, down x2, right x2, down, right, up x4

If this doesn't work I am sorry but I have misled you because that is how I remember solving it. I am at work right now so don't have acces to the solved panel.

Completely opposite reactions to the exact same puzzle on the same page!

(For what it's worth, I'm in the middle. I got it and just moved on without really thinking about it.)

Interesting to see widely different reactions to the same things. I recommended what I thought was a very easy area to someone earlier, and he just had to straight up walk away after a few minutes.

More than anything for me it was the realization that there are even more things to pay attention to when thinking about puzzle solutions.

Guys, this game. This game!! There are sooooo many more secrets and mysteries than people realize. It truly is layers of an onion -

- Solving the puzzles.
- Piecing together the story.
- Finding the "collectible" puzzle panels.
(Spoiler for something most have discovered by now)
- Finding all the drawn lines in the island itself.
- Finding the vaults that contain the hexagon papers for use in the
theater.

...until this morning, I thought that was "it." And I thought that was MORE than enough mystery for any one game. But... it's puzzles all the way down. I genuinely believe, in my heart of hearts, that it will be over a month until everything has been solved.

This is a minor hint of the discovery IGN's reviewer Chloi made today - probably one of the people in the world farthest along in the game:
You can spot differences in the island when you load an early game save and compare it to a late game one. Your puzzle-solving presence there is making changes, slowly over time, that are not immediately apparent.

There are (at least) two things on the island that are important that no one realizes are important yet, and at least one door that I think literally no one has opened :)

Can you elaborate on this ? (Final spoiler)

skynidas

Banned
I thought I was through the worst and most unfair pixel hunt bullshit of this game when I got past the
but this
tree shadow section
may be just as bad. I get the rules and I have one of the doors unlocked, but the branch of puzzles
to the left of the split is absurd. I'm about 4 deep and finding the shadows the give you an approximate idea of what the puzzle answer is is just awful
.I'm still waiting on the game to make me feel smart or satisfied. So far most of my 5 hours or so has felt like a chore.

those 2
(the perspective puzzles are the worst ones). the tetris bricks one are really good, the segregation puzzles are good, keep playing, you'll enjoy it and you'll feel smart

hesido

God dayum. I can't even solve the
Go over black dots on the path sequence puzzle right after the beginning, the second from last where you have to options to start.
I can't solve the panel that requires rules from
this go over black dots and go between contrasting square without going between non-contrasting ones
, although I swear I'm abiding by the rules taught?!! Maybe it expects me to solve the sequence that teaches the rule, if that's the case, it's lame, if not, I'm an idiot.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
but this
tree shadow section

yeah the game goes from easy to smart to wtf is this so quickly I don't feel like I'm learning how some of the puzzles actually work which is just making later parts more frustrating.

Step 1:
left x2, down, left, up, left. Now you have taken care of one green.
Step 2:
down, right, down x2, right x2, down, right, up x4

If this doesn't work I am sorry but I have misled you because that is how I remember solving it. I am at work right now so don't have acces to the solved panel.

Thanks but I can not even go left first on my puzzle.

but this
tree shadow section

Yeah anything based on perception is trash.I'd actually recommend ignoring it and explore the fun stuff instead.

but this
tree shadow section
may be just as bad.
I will be vocal about it, I think it is the worst area in the game so far (beat
areas I think?)
If you are talking about the tree temple.

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah I'm full of shit and still playing and found the swamp.

How do you get the bridge to move? I solved the puzzle on it.

Wozzer

That feel after 200 puzzles solved you discover the '+' scoring people have been referring to, alongside their puzzle completion count.

giphy.gif

rje

Yeah I'm full of shit and still playing and found the swamp.

How do you get the bridge to move? I solved the puzzle on it.

think of how you solved the puzzle, are there any other ways you could have solved it?

BraXzy

Is there a way to up the sensitivity for a controller on the PC version? There's only mouse options in the in-game menu.

Robiin

Thanks but I can not even go left first on my puzzle.
Shit sorry I was looking at the starting position wrong. Let's see. Let me just finish work (10 min) and I will try to help you again... if anyone else can chime in in the meantime that would be great.

czarship

I'm playing on the PC and would love to create a new save file for my roommate so I can watch him experience the first hour of the game on his own. Will this mess up my save file? I'm not sure how the game handles discrete saves.

This is the first time it's created a new savefile after countless launches, so I'm just thinking I may have hit a branching path in the 'story' or messed up somewhere along the line and the game is helping me along in case I need to revert to the other save.

Blow said on Twitter that a separate save will be automatically made after every hundred or so puzzles.

Shit sorry I was looking at the starting position wrong. Let's see. Let me just finish work (10 min) and I will try to help you again... if anyone else can chime in in the meantime that would be great.

Kudos to you, my friend. I find it amazing that you simply understand the structure of it. I will definitely look through the upcoming solution and try to make any sense out of it.

It's weird. Some panels I find so easy and others are struggling with them, and now I am doing these and my mind is just going numb.

I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to get this. I love puzzles, I love critical thinking and I enjoy a good brain teaser, especially if it's more than just move box A to point B. On the other hand, I like fun puzzle-solving, and I don't want to get this if it's a game that frustrates me and I just keep going to the Internet for solutions. I've kept myself purposefully in the dark as to what kind of puzzles this has - so for everyone that's playing it so far, does this do a good job of balancing rewards versus difficulty so that you don't immediately go for help if you get stuck?

Absolutely loving this so far! So many moments that make you feel very clever... and so many that make you feel stupid - like this one: http://puu.sh/mM3De/23f1375977.jpg anyone got any tips for this? I managed to do the others leading up to it but this one has got me.

I know I'll kick myself when I find out.

Shouldnt it be like that then? Dont really get the last part :(

https://abload.de/img/unbenanntokuf2.jpg

That's almost but
the 'transition' between the panel and board is two wide, so your bottom extends to the edge

That was was tricky, but here...
Edit: quoted post disappeared, but I was quoting a poster.

Yeah. The perspective stuff is really good - you just need to look beyond the panel. One of my favourites, but granted I didn't have a lot of trouble so I can see how it'd be annoying.

Just got to the first puzzle I've really been pissed off by, not due to difficulty but kind of shit tutorializing/consistency.

Spoilers for swamp and the
hollow blue squares
:

This puzzle ( http://i.imgur.com/DHARJi2.png ) implies that the blue squares could be used anywhere in any configuration and this one a couple panels later ( http://i.imgur.com/zjhjq3k.png ) suggests that the 2x2 block pattern matters, since every other tetris piece thing in this area has implied as such. Didn't take long to do after seeing if that wasn't the rule, but jeez I wasted like an hour on that.

Chris R

More than anything for me it was the realization that there are even more things to pay attention to when thinking about puzzle solutions.

That's fine and everything, I was just letdown by the fact that
I'll have to play the rest of the game with my sound on and way up, not listening to any other audio, just in case it comes back as a possible answer to a puzzle again

Saiyan-Rox

think of how you solved the puzzle, are there any other ways you could have solved it?
I solved the tutorial and yet these shapes don't make much sense to me. It constantly tells me the middle one isn't right when it is :/

Also howre you supposed to figure out to do that puzzle again differently to move the thing?! Gah!!

Ooh I see the middle block is attached to one straight one on each end.

Again how do you know the blocks aren't supposed to be by themselves or attached!?

Wait! I got it! Fuck yeah!

No idea what I did. Time to figure that out.

Thanks for the help btw.

EDIT: Pfffff... So easy yet also so easily overlooked. I was fixated on one thing that I completely forgot about the other option.

I solved the tutorial and yet these shapes don't make much sense to me. It constantly tells me the middle one isn't right when it is :/

Also howre you supposed to figure out to do that puzzle again differently to move the thing?! Gah!!

Look at the bridge and around: can you see that it matches the yellow blocks? You probably solved the bridge by putting the middle piece together with the left one - all you need to do is push the middle piece the other way.

Top Bottom