• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

Saiyan-Rox

Look at the bridge and around: can you see that it matches the yellow blocks? You probably solved the bridge by putting the middle piece together with the left one - all you need to do is push the middle piece the other way.

Yep I see that now lol

How're you supposed to know when a block should be touching and when it shouldn't? It's that last tutorial block all over again ><

Still at least I know more than I did an hour ago.

I don't see how this puzzle implies that. Those are just One-square pieces after all.

It doesn't directly, but having them be in two separate squares instead of two inside of one set me up to expect that the arrangement inside the square mattered, like they did for all the other
tetris pieces.

Yep I see that now lol

How're you supposed to know when a block should be touching and when it shouldn't? It's that last tutorial block all over again ><

Still at least I know more than I did an hour ago.

It depends on the puzzle!
Half the challenge is finding out which pieces you're grouping together, and it gets more complicated when you can change their order - in this case the middle HAS to touch someone otherwise you can't reach it.

Just got to the first puzzle I've really been pissed off by, not due to difficulty but kind of shit tutorializing/consistency.

Spoilers for swamp and the
hollow blue squares
:

This puzzle ( http://i.imgur.com/DHARJi2.png ) implies that the blue squares could be used anywhere in any configuration and this one a couple panels later ( http://i.imgur.com/zjhjq3k.png ) suggests that the 2x2 block pattern matters, since every other tetris piece thing in this area has implied as such. Didn't take long to do after seeing if that wasn't the rule, but jeez I wasted like an hour on that.

No it doesn't, you made the assumption.... Which is good for the designer, since the game clearly wants you to make multiple wrong assumptions whilst learning the blue block puzzles.

Majmun

Played this game last night for two hours or so. It's an amazing experience. I even dreamed about this game. That usually never happens after playing a game...

Can't wait to go back.

PolishQ

That feel after 200 puzzles solved you discover the '+' scoring people have been referring to, alongside their puzzle completion count.

giphy.gif

The very end of this video is me realizing that (obviously, spoilers if you haven't had your mind blown yet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKPCzYyAxaA

rje

I solved the tutorial and yet these shapes don't make much sense to me. It constantly tells me the middle one isn't right when it is :/

Also howre you supposed to figure out to do that puzzle again differently to move the thing?! Gah!!

Ooh I see the middle block is attached to one straight one on each end.

Again how do you know the blocks aren't supposed to be by themselves or attached!?

So yeah, if I'm thinking of the right bridge puzzle, if you've solved it once you should have a solution that's effectively symmetrical, so you can have the middle piece pointing out of either side. Solving the puzzle with it attached to one side or the other will change the state of the bridge.

I beat the entire
tree shadow
area except for the very last puzzle which activates the
laser
. You start in
light
but the exit is in
shadow
... do I have to come back here at
a different time of day
?
Blue
lines were
stay in shadow
red
lines were
avoid shadow
... this is yellow,
which doesn't have any rules I know about
?

#redacted

beril

Finished the game. Dear god, that ending was pretentious.

Quite enjoyed the game, but not sure if I'd really recommend it to anyone

For the first few hours I kept waiting for the twist to happen. I hadn't really followed the development and went in nearly blind, but surely the game couldn't just be about walking around and solving logic/maze puzzles on panels I thought, especially after the brilliant mechanics in Braid. That never really came but eventually the puzzles got pretty fun and sometimes brutally difficult. But running around on the island got pretty old and the game failed completely to make me care about the world. After some initial exploration trying to find out what what was going on revealed very little, and when all the audiologs and videos are just random old texts with existential musings about art and science, I stopped caring and it just became a hunt for puzzle panels.

Some of the puzzles were just annoying though, like the
spot the specmat bullshit in the Desert Ruin and the broken screens in the final area

The things that does make the game interesting though is it's approach to learning. That is quite brillaint

I'm stuck again at what seems like a simple puzzle but I can't work out the logic. It's one of the ones required enter the quarry.
It's a tetris symbol puzzle where there is a block on the bottom right with a shape that goes 3 blocks up and one to the right, whereas obviously you can't go to the right with it being I the corner.
Any tips?

PolishQ

For the first few hours I kept waiting for the twist to happen. I hadn't really followed the development and went in nearly blind, but surely the game couldn't just be about walking around and solving logic/maze puzzles on panels I thought, especially after the brilliant mechanics in Braid. That never really came but eventually the puzzles got pretty fun and sometimes brutally difficult. But running around on the island got pretty old and the game failed completely to make me care about the world. After some initial exploration trying to find out what what was going on revealed very little, and when all the audiologs and videos are just random old texts with existential musings about art and science, I stopped caring and it just became a hunt for puzzle panels.

spot the specmat bullshit in the Desert Ruin and the broken screens in the final area

The things that does make the game interesting though is it's approach to learning. That is quite brillaint

Hmmm.... did you solve any of the + puzzles?

I'm stuck again at what seems like a simple puzzle but I can't work out the logic. It's one of the ones required enter the quarry.
It's a tetris symbol puzzle where there is a block on the bottom right with a shape that goes 3 blocks up and one to the right, whereas obviously you can't go to the right with it being I the corner.
Any tips?

I'd recommend moving past this section if you can't hash it out yourself -- you haven't found the
tetris
tutorial yet, and like most hard parts of this game, you need to find the tutorial first.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I was checking Justin's posts to see if he's alluded to anything about a new game following the ending, and this... This...

This fucking game.

I wish I wasn't at work and could look around more now that I've beaten the endgame. I want to go alllll the way down the rabbit hole.

Can you elaborate on this ? (Final spoiler)

SPOILERS for the post-endgame - with the caveat that we don't have this all figured out yet, and some is speculation. We're on the bleeding edge, here:

The pond in the middle near the town appears to be a map/visual representation of your completion %. The lanterns in the pond turn on when you activate a laser, and the closed clams open when you unlock a vault that contains one of the theater hexagons. And the fountains seem to correspond to the black obelisks.

Lastly, in a early-game save, there are no orange triangular leafs in the pond. In a late-game save, there are. It's assumed that these correspond to finding the triangle puzzle panels, but we aren't sure. And this is a little outside of the pond's M.O., since everything else in it gives you a location hint, and those leafs don't.

Finally, in the beginning, all the white flowers are wrapped tightly and not in bloom. But in our end-game save, many of the flowers are blooming. There are many around the lake, but others on other seemingly important spots around the island. We don't know what triggers them blooming or whether there is any deeper meaning there.

Edit: Oh yeah I also forgot -
In the lake there is a submerged statue of a woman. Later game saves show her emerging from the water, and finally almost completely out in a late-game save. But the actual FORM of the statue is changing - she isn't in the same pose. It's like she's climbing out of the water slowly.

And even post-endgame, we aren't sure how to get into the tunnel you can see at the bottom of the desert temple. It only opens from the other side.

Theodoricos

I beat the entire
tree shadow
laser
. You start in
light
but the exit is in
shadow
a different time of day
?
Blue
lines were
stay in shadow
red
lines were
avoid shadow
... this is yellow,
?

#redacted

I'm at the same puzzle as you right now. I really want to do at least one full puzzle sequence without help, and I managed to do all the puzzles leading up to this one, but I still can't figure it out.

About the puzzle:
as far as I can tell, the shadows remain static, so I don't think you need to wait for a different time of day or anything like that. Maybe something to do with the pattern of the door ornaments?

Sai-kun

Banned
Any tips?

No tips for that puzzle, but you can enter the quarry without solving it, btw :)

On my end, I've made it through most of (I think) the Desert area, and once again I'm stumped.

I'm way far underground and now I've got a reflecting pool that I can raise and lower the water level of, and make use of the reflections to complete the (blue) panels. The third one is giving me hell though, because I just can't seem to capture the right angle. I feel like I've tried every angle and I just can't seem to find a spot where it will reflect/shine.

I'd recommend moving past this section if you can't hash it out yoruself; you haven't found the tetris tutorial yet.

I've done most of the tutorial for it I just can't figure out how to deal with the limitation of moving to the right. I'm guessing there's another behaviour in the blocks that I've not noticed but I can't seem to figure it out.

So does a physical release for PS4 seem pretty likely in the coming months?

Because if there's a chance of a physical release there's no way I'm spending $56 AU on digital.

I beat the entire
tree shadow
laser
. You start in
light
but the exit is in
shadow
a different time of day
?
Blue
lines were
stay in shadow
red
lines were
avoid shadow
... this is yellow,
?

#redacted

You mean the one after
both doors are open
?

No tips for that puzzle, but you can enter the quarry without solving it, btw :)

On my end, I've made it through most of (I think) the Desert area, and once again I'm stumped.

I'm way far underground and now I've got a reflecting pool that I can raise and lower the water level of, and make use of the reflections to complete the (blue) panels. The third one is giving me hell though, because I just can't seem to capture the right angle. I feel like I've tried every angle and I just can't seem to find a spot where it will reflect/shine.

That may be the one that's only visible from a certain angle while it's actually in motion.
Good luck :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies

If those are the only
audiologs
you found, you missed 4-5 very important things - makes me think you might have missed other stuff, too.
You should have also have found some audiologs from the fictional people that made the island, too.

And even post-endgame, we aren't sure how to get into the tunnel you can see at the bottom of the desert temple. It only opens from the other side.

For this one
I've "tested" and it's the same tunnel that runs to the windmill, also locked from the other side. There's a walkway above (that comes from somewhere above the theatre chamber) that I also don't know how to get to, but I'm imagining it's from somewhere in the cave you can get from inside the mountain. However, that one is ALSO locked from the inside, so... :p

beril

Hmmm.... did you solve any of the + puzzles?

my save file says 425 +9

Are the + puzzles the ones in the environment?

If those are the only
audiologs
you found, you missed 4-5 very important things - makes me think you might have missed other stuff, too.
You should have also have found some audiologs from the fictional people that made the island, too.

No I have certainly not found everything; as I said stopped caring about the world/story pretty quickly because it just didn't give me anything to keep me interested. I can enjoy some sparse and minimalistic storytelling, but it has to give me something to get me interested in the first place or I'm not going to run around looking everywhere for tiny clues.

You mean the one after
both doors are open
?

I likely didn't realize I was opening both doors separately... I came back to this area after "doing puzzles" and found both halves of the tree gate open wide.

But yeah, dot in the upper right-ish is in light, and the bottom left exit overlaps with part of a branch. Feel like I'm missing something.

Robiin

Thanks but I can not even go left first on my puzzle.
The starting position is the top right, correct? My mind is fried.
Left x2, down, left, up, left (you are now in the corner, correct?)
This is the only starting moves I can see.

Top Bottom