• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

K.Sabot

fuck i think i found something way before I should have.

edit: oh fuck shit is happening now and I probably shouldn't have done this

I likely didn't realize I was opening both doors separately... I came back to this area after "doing puzzles" and found both halves of the tree gate open wide.

But yeah, dot in the upper right-ish is in light, and the bottom left exit overlaps with part of a branch. Feel like I'm missing something.

The left half has the rules of one puzzles, the other half the rules of the other.
The rules split in the middle.

Freeman76

It doesn't directly, but having them be in two separate squares instead of two inside of one set me up to expect that the arrangement inside the square mattered, like they did for all the other
tetris pieces.

You are doing better than me, i cannot for the life of me figure out what those hollow blue squares mean or What to do with them.

Brashnir

Hopped on the subway - Immediate reaction - Ahhh this puzzle is impossible!

dmw4Xaq.png

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm staring at it right now and the shapes usualy mean have the empty space be those shapes right? Sometimes you have them on top of each other or too the side but wtf is that!?

Puzzle explanation:
It's a 5x5 grid. So the tall 4 piece with a 1 piece on top and 2 piece to the side.

Super simple

How do you reactivate a platform,?
I'm in a swamp like area
I solved a puzzle which activated a platform but I wasn't finished with the tutorial puzzles so I have no idea to solve what is over here, lol. Tried resolving the puzzle but it didn't move it back.

Saiyan-Rox

The 5 vertical blocks inside the yellows are the 4 vertical tetrino and single tetrino. The top right two are the 2 horizontal tetrino.

I think I'm over thinking or under thinking this entire puzzle/game

I just don't know when bits are supposed to combine, how they are combie and where.

Yeah I'm too stupid for this game.

I'm in a swamp like area
I solved a puzzle which activated a platform but I wasn't finished with the tutorial puzzles so I have no idea to solve what is over here, lol. Tried resolving the puzzle but it didn't move it back.

You can solve that puzzle in two different ways

I'm gonna feel real dumb but a little help here?

http://imgur.com/a/e98g2

i know I'm supposed to follow the tree shadow but it's broken?

Did you really follow the shadow? Remember it has to be continuous

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, found a puzzle that seems to work similar to the
ship
one that I also can't solve, in a c
ave on the mountainside almost at the top. You obviously control 2 mirrored lines, but idk how to solve it at all, despite knowing about the black/white dots. Why are the "pickup" dots differently colored? aah.

jett

D-Member
Finished the red temple at last. That was evil.

At 200~ puzzles. Random thoughts:
-There's this area that has a lot of colored water around it, next to the area that "teaches" you about the tetris blocks, no idea how to reach it. I'm just going to organically end up there?
-The tetris blocks. I've done the "tutorial" yet I feel like I have no fucking idea how this shit works. I'm totally in the dark in how these things combine with other unrelated blocks.
-The desert. What the fuck even. Don't even know where to start. I feel like I'm missing equipment in this game sometimes.
-The "town." These are like fucking hard mode puzzles. I haven't been able to complete a single one.
-Some random scattered puzzles seem stupid difficult, like there's one
in the mountain that has an invisible yellow line. Dude. Why.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did the treetop area. I hadn't paid attention to the panels
having multiple exits, which selects an orientation
that let me
brideg the gap between the switch and the timer door

There seem to be a lot of
optional areas up here too - rotating the platforms to get behind the laser tower for instance.
will leave that for now, maybe come back later.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm in a swamp like area

I'm at the same spot. I bet you quit the tutorials on the same panel, too.

Alright, found a puzzle that seems to work similar to the
ship
one that I also can't solve, in a c
ave on the mountainside almost at the top. You obviously control 2 mirrored lines, but idk how to solve it at all, despite knowing about the black/white dots. Why are the "pickup" dots differently colored? aah.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's not as hard as the one the ship. Did you do the symmetry section? Cause your line is blue and the mirrored one is orange.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finished the red temple at last. That was evil.

At 200~ puzzles. Random thoughts:
-There's this area that has a lot of colored water around it, next to the area that "teaches" you about the tetris blocks, no idea how to reach it. I'm just going to organically end up there?
-The tetris blocks. I've done the "tutorial" yet I feel like I have no fucking idea how this shit works. I'm totally in the dark in how these things combine with other unrelated blocks.
-The desert. What the fuck even. Don't even know where to start. I feel like I'm missing equipment in this game sometimes.
-The "town." These are like fucking hard mode puzzles. I haven't been able to complete a single one.
-Some random scattered puzzles seem stupid difficult, like there's one
in the mountain that has an invisible yellow line. Dude. Why.

Most of that will come naturally. Persevere with the desert area, try looking at things from different vantage points

Can you get on the
ship? I just did a lovely big + puzzle there but there doesn't seem to be a dock on it, and I can't get across from the treetop area

There's only
one knob
though and I had barely done three tutorial puzzles before I headed over. I've made a mistake ;-;

It's the Swamp Bridge, right? There's only one exit but two solutions - you can see that the bridge itself is made of yellow blocks. You probably solved the puzzle by grouping the middle tetris piece with the right tetris piece, right? Think of it as if you're pulling a lever.

Gsnap

I swear the tetris shapes puzzles break their own logic.
Its driving me crazy.

I keep saying this every time I run into a new one, but then once figured out it turns out that they were still following the same rules.

I am really trapped on one though. I swear I've solved it, but apparently not...

It's the Swamp Bridge, right? There's only one exit but two solutions - you can see that the bridge itself is made of yellow blocks. You probably solved the puzzle by grouping the middle tetris piece with the right tetris piece, right? Think of it as if you're pulling a lever.
I didn't even realize that's what I was doing, lol. I'll get back eventually I guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There's only
one knob
though and I had barely done three tutorial puzzles before I headed over. I've made a mistake ;-;

Several puzzles have
multiple 'exits'. Quite often there are multiple correct answers and different things will happen depending which exit you finish on.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Tetris piece puzzles have broken me. I completed about 5 areas so far, but yeah... this is just too much. Going to shelve the game for now.

Colasante

Starting to get the feel of the tetris pieces after doing the tutorial, but I'm confused by one at the quarry boathouse.
There's a puzzle with three separate, diagonal two block tetris pieces and one white elimination marker. What I'm confused by is the difference in the direction of the diagonal line in the tetris pieces. Like, two of them are arcing northeast and one is arcing southeast, but everything up to this point has led me to believe that diagonal (as opposed to a straight tetris piece) means it can be oriented any way regardless of direction, so do the arcs of the diagonal blocks mean anything?

Just a question. What are these
play button panels you find laying around? Walked around the starting castle, opened a door and found one. Then found 3 or 4 other ones.

SPOILERS for the post-endgame - with the caveat that we don't have this all figured out yet, and some is speculation. We're on the bleeding edge, here:

The pond in the middle near the town appears to be a map/visual representation of your completion %. The lanterns in the pond turn on when you activate a laser, and the closed clams open when you unlock a vault that contains one of the theater hexagons. And the fountains seem to correspond to the black obelisks.

Lastly, in a early-game save, there are no orange triangular leafs in the pond. In a late-game save, there are. It's assumed that these correspond to finding the triangle puzzle panels, but we aren't sure. And this is a little outside of the pond's M.O., since everything else in it gives you a location hint, and those leafs don't.

Finally, in the beginning, all the white flowers are wrapped tightly and not in bloom. But in our end-game save, many of the flowers are blooming. There are many around the lake, but others on other seemingly important spots around the island. We don't know what triggers them blooming or whether there is any deeper meaning there.

Edit: Oh yeah I also forgot -
In the lake there is a submerged statue of a woman. Later game saves show her emerging from the water, and finally almost completely out in a late-game save. But the actual FORM of the statue is changing - she isn't in the same pose. It's like she's climbing out of the water slowly.

And even post-endgame, we aren't sure how to get into the tunnel you can see at the bottom of the desert temple. It only opens from the other side.

If those are the only
audiologs
you found, you missed 4-5 very important things - makes me think you might have missed other stuff, too.
You should have also have found some audiologs from the fictional people that made the island, too.

Kind of grateful for the game making numerous saves now so I can check things out at different times...
I did notice the statue in the ending flyover, which stood out to me as I hadn't thought I noticed it in previous times I passed the lake
. Unfortunately I had to leave for work right after that so yeah haven't had time to go around and check things out yet.

But oh man, so much to check out and explore still. I didn't even realize
some of the audio logs are from fictional people, now I feel like going back through and finding them again to see if they're existing quotes or new ones.
Think I probably missed a good few anyway (let alone ones in areas I haven't even been to yet!), so would be a good way to find more.

I do wonder if the secrets will reveal more about the game's nature, but my speculation so far is...

HUGE ENDING SPOILERS BELOW

SERIOUSLY I PRETTY MUCH GIVE AWAY THE ENDING HERE PROCEED WITH CAUTION

The entire game is an abstraction of a person's mind and memories. A dying person, to be exact. Each area on the island corresponds to a specific place that person has been in their life, and solving the puzzles in them is an abstraction of their... "Progression" in life, you can say. By going through these past places the person experienced, you end up unlocking the mountain and the first thing you see in there is a giant MESS of thrown away junk, as if the mountain is a locked away part of their mind storing stuff they don't want to think about anymore. (Also, it's worth noting that there is a certain sound effect used in some of the mountain puzzles that sounds distinctly organic, like pulsing flesh) As you descend things start breaking, getting distorted, warping, hard to process and think about. But in the end, once you reach the bottom, everything becomes clearer. The junk is gone, the broken panels are gone, and all you're left with is a base sense of tranquility. It almost feels like heaven. In the end you're whisked over the island and see everything shutting down, all before it begins again, circling back to the beginning just as the final puzzles circled around on themselves.

Now, what I wonder is if this is the only ending; I doubt it is. If my idea of what the island is is right, then I feel that finding all the secrets, probing as deep as you can, may very well change something about the ending...

BraXzy

I don't know if it's just my PC but my audio seems really low. I have to have my master audio a lot higher than normal for it to feel right.

All the same, absolutely loving the start of the game :D

jett

D-Member
Most of that will come naturally. Persevere with the desert area, try looking at things from different vantage points

Can you get on the
ship? I just did a lovely big + puzzle there but there doesn't seem to be a dock on it, and I can't get across from the treetop area

I've gotten on the
sunken ship. Only thing I found there was some shit audio recording.

Top Bottom