• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness |OT|

-griffy-

Banned
I don't know if it's just my PC but my audio seems really low. I have to have my master audio a lot higher than normal for it to feel right.

All the same, absolutely loving the start of the game :D

That reminds me, one thing driving me CRAZY is the surround sound implementation. If you tilt your view up even a little bit, most sounds go to the rear channels for some reason. Your footsteps, but most importantly the audio logs. Walking around when one is playing while trying to investigate the environment sees the audio flipping from front to back constantly and it's super annoying. Footsteps/audio logs should just be locked to the front channels.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Well I was only 2 hours into line puzzles and now I'm just
looking for every light / shadow that I can activate, found it by accident.
It really isn't something to be worried about as being something you shouldn't have seen.

200+7. Four beams done.

I stopped in the treehouse when the going started getting rough with
tetrominos mixed with color puzzles on top of choosing the right solution to give the correct orientation to the bridge I was making. Not undoable but challenging enough to call it a day.

I finally did the tetromino tutorial, and right after it got stumped on the first puzzle I came across.
It has three horizontal tetrominos, they aren't even on adjacent rows, so grouping is a no go, and the one in the middle is a single square. What.

I cant believe people have already finished this lol.
You guys must be puzzle savants.

I wouldn't call me a savant, and will admit I peeked in this thread for two specific things but each time it was just hints I looked for and not solutions.

I feel what helps with me being able to understand the puzzles and work through them quickly is actually my programming knowledge and ability to mentally visualize solutions to puzzles (particularly tetris ones). Many of the symbols can be thought of similarly to programming logic, particularly the upside down Y sign which I personally call a
NOT operator
(spoilers for those who don't know what it does).

In the end, the key is just to being able to visualize puzzles and work out the puzzle language that Blow was talking about. He wasn't being pretentious, there really IS a language to these symbols and coming to read what they mean and visualize the solution based solely off what the puzzle says... Not only can it speed things up considerably, but it's a revelation when it hits you. To clarify I don't mean the puzzles actually translate to letters or anything, I just mean the logic behind them, hence my programming language comparison. Wouldn't put it past Blow though for the panels to have some deeper meaning!

-griffy-

Banned
gah I hate to ask for help again but

i can't make sense of this. the shadows doesn't really seem to make any sense?

http://imgur.com/a/AvKas

The shadows that should be falling on the grid and revealing the path are being blocked by an object, but they are still being cast on that object.
I do what everybody says and try to follow the shadow but I seem to take the wrong path?

http://i.imgur.com/kmDusLM.jpg
Look closely at your path, and you'll see you are trying to connect paths where the branch shadows have a break between them. You can't follow where there is a gap in the shadow. Imagine that at one point, the branches lined up perfectly with the grid but over time they have grown and moved slightly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So the bamboo woods panels with the hexes of different sizes, I'm trying to clarify their rules...
do you just pick them up in ascending size order? Because the third tutorial seems impossible if I need the smallest one picked up first.

kiguel182

Did the Tetris pieces tutorial, then I have no idea how to advance, I can't find a path to go.

Went back and did the dam puzzle to open the door that I couldn't do previously because I didn't know the rules and felt like a genius.

Went inside and couldn't solve the last panel of the tutorial of that area so now I feel dumb again.

Smart -> Dumb -> Smart -> Dumb

That's The Witness cycle for me.

I'll try again tomorrow but I just feel I'll stay stuck. This game is something else.

McHuj

Maybe a dumb question, but how do you know how many puzzles you've done? (PC)

I'm just kind of walking around and doing stuff and have no idea how many I've done.

I wouldn't call me a savant, and will admit I peeked in this thread for two specific things but each time it was just hints I looked for and not solutions.

I feel what helps with me being able to understand the puzzles and work through them quickly is actually my programming knowledge and ability to mentally visualize solutions to puzzles (particularly tetris ones). Many of the symbols can be thought of similarly to programming logic, particularly the upside down Y sign which I personally call a
NOT operator
(spoilers for those who don't know what it does).

In the end, the key is just to being able to visualize puzzles and work out the puzzle language that Blow was talking about. He wasn't being pretentious, there really IS a language to these symbols and coming to read what they mean and visualize the solution based solely off what the puzzle says... Not only can it speed things up considerably, but it's a revelation when it hits you. To clarify I don't mean the puzzles actually translate to letters or anything, I just mean the logic behind them, hence my programming language comparison. Wouldn't put it past Blow though for the panels to have some deeper meaning!

Same for me: I know a lot of people are having trouble with the shadow/perspective ones but it was something I was able to quickly get used to - maybe it's from past experience with the theme. Same for some of the other stuff.

Also helped that I didn't want to take any hints at all since I usually do that for every other puzzle game, and since I had the benefit of playing this at launch I just poured my head over it and tried to get as far as I could so I wouldn't even get tempted to read hints left and right.

I also managed to solve that one without reading the hint, which I'm proud of, but still, thanks!

PolishQ

Can you "finish" the game and then continue solving puzzles, or would you have to start a new game from scratch to do the stuff you missed?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Going to bed now. If anyone feels kind enough to help with this, it'd be hugely appreciated. From the town:

http://i.imgur.com/mkc1wil.jpg

confused by the single block which isn't near an edge so how to isolate it? Haven't done the three pointed star tutorial yet so that might be one reason. But I want to nail this as I hope it's the last panel stopping me getting up the tower in town.

Tomorrow I'm off the to the swamps to get my brain crushed by tetronimoes,and have a look at the castle.

Okay, I'm in the Keep and I can't figure out the
purple walking puzzle. Seems like it should be insanely simple but the broken panel takes away the easy solution
and I have no clue what to do. Need help on it.

Can you "finish" the game and then continue solving puzzles, or would you have to start a new game from scratch to do the stuff you missed?

After loading the game upon seeing the ending, it puts you in a new game. However, you can still go and load your previous save game which should be right before you trigger the ending. Now, the question no one seems to know yet is if there's anything different about this post-ending new game... I think when I get home later I'll run around and see if there's anything different I can notice before reloading to my pre-ending save.

RiverKwai

Hopped on the subway - Immediate reaction - Ahhh this puzzle is impossible!

Wait until you get to the Tokyo level.

ToktoMetroMap_en.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So the bamboo woods panels with the hexes of different sizes, I'm trying to clarify their rules...
do you just pick them up in ascending size order? Because the third tutorial seems impossible if I need the smallest one picked up first.

Hey!
Listen!

I was clearing them through sheer luck until my made up logic failed. And then I realised what I was meant to do.

hydruxo

Okay, I'm in the Keep and I can't figure out the
purple walking puzzle. Seems like it should be insanely simple but the broken panel takes away the easy solution
and I have no clue what to do. Need help on it.

Same here. The
broken panel
threw me for a loop and I could never figure out how to approach it differently.

After loading the game upon seeing the ending, it puts you in a new game. However, you can still go and load your previous save game which should be right before you trigger the ending. Now, the question no one seems to know yet is if there's anything different about this post-ending new game... I think when I get home later I'll run around and see if there's anything different I can notice before reloading to my pre-ending save.

Just a simple yes/no question.

Does the ending
have anything to do with the enviroment + puzzles? Because I guess maybe something might happen if you solve all of these.

The camouflage puzzles are shit. Didn't like that stuff in Myst, don't like it here. I stand by what I said about the trial and error punishment aspect, easily the weakest part of the game so far. On one of the last panels you can't even complete the puzzle with the locked on view because a some geometry is in the way of the line. Super frustrating section.

on the difficulty
that they start playing comedy sound effects to throw you off is even more insulting

Top Bottom