• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

The noir aspect to this is interesting. Wasn't expecting it (never read Fables before).

Are the Fables comics like that? Are they as dark as this?

Sometimes are darker, sometimes are lighthearted (needed after some dark parts).

Need to say, it is kind of a mix genre as the Noir disappears but it transforms in a
sort of war
comic. With other times being straight fantasy (thought very dark at most times).

It is an incredible game, I will buy the whole season this night. Wolf is a great character. The moral dilemmas in the game usually relies in three options:

- Unleash your inner wolf, causing Fairies to fear you even more,
- Being a nice guy, try to redeem yourself (but usually that does not fit the character),
- Being a jack ass, thus keeping the status quo (being feared by most of them).

Usually it works well, but there was one time when I feel I was forced to take a route.
When back at Toad's apartment, I caught all his lies, and even so the game does not let me progress unless I got rought and start to beat him, which did not make a good picture for Wolf, since Toad's son and Ms. White where in the very next room. Wolf is a hell of a detective, and should be able to overcome the situation without relying in violence.

To be fair. Bigby has a short temper in the comics even when he is in the "good side".
And Snow can be pretty ruthless politician/leader

rakhir

Usually it works well, but there was one time when I feel I was forced to take a route.
When back at Toad's apartment, I caught all his lies, and even so the game does not let me progress unless I got rought and start to beat him, which did not make a good picture for Wolf, since Toad's son and Ms. White where in the very next room. Wolf is a hell of a detective, and should be able to overcome the situation without relying in violence.
Yeah, that wasn't what happened to me.
Bigby just said some things harshly and it all went down without violence. Even after characters left the apartment Snow was impressed that everything went so smoothly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RE: Toad scenario:
I called him out on his wound being in the wrong spot, not needing to open the window if the door lock was broken, and the misplacement of the supposedly fallen lamp. Didn't have to argue with him, just told him I'd leave when he told me the truth. He buckled when Snow returned with his kid, taking off his hat to reveal his head wound.

Yeah, that wasn't what happened to me.
Bigby just said some things harshly and it all went down without violence. Even after characters left the apartment Snow was impressed that everything went so smoothly.

RE: Toad scenario:
I called him out on his wound being in the wrong spot, not needing to open the window if the door lock was broken, and the misplacement of the supposedly fallen lamp. Didn't have to argue with him, just told him I'd leave when he told me the truth. He buckled when Snow returned with his kid, taking off his hat to reveal his head wound.

Very strange.

First I caught his lie about the windows/broken door, investigate more, found the fireplace poker, caught his lie about his wound being on his hand/feet. Even so, when I talked to him, first I have the option to talk about his lies, then it was grayed out and the only options were to investigate more or get rought. Did I miss something in the investigation? Or the order you called him on his lies matters? I did not want to beat him, but that was the only option for me in the end.

rawktapus

Very strange.

First I caught his lie about the windows/broken door, investigate more, found the fireplace poker, caught his lie about his wound being on his hand/feet. Even so, when I talked to him, first I have the option to talk about his lies, then it was grayed out and the only options were to investigate more or get rought. Did I miss something in the investigation? Or the order you called him on his lies matters? I did not want to beat him, but that was the only option for me in the end.

Did you investigate
the knocked over lamp

Definitely, but I wouldn't call tWAU an adventure game, though. It's got good voice acting and writing, but absolutely zero challenge. I've got horrific twitch skills, and I only missed like two QTE prompts the entire game (one only because I wasn't expecting it). I doubt that those few misses had any repercussions whatsoever. There are also no puzzles to solve--just click all of the interactables on the screen to progress the story. It's more of a choice-driven narrative experience, a Choose Your Own Adventure rather than a Secret of Monkey Island... which is okay by me.

The format TellTale choosed for their last games (TWD and TWAU) seems pretty much the evolution of the Japanese ADV game (plus some very light object search). It is a same that Japanese ADV stuck in time (text heavy with no voice over and very little animation) mostly due to bugdet concerns (the average same sells only 5.000 copies). Of course that and the fact that ADV themes usually envolves high school girls.... Even high budget and successful ADVs like Steins;Gate are very limited. If they employed the same pattern that TellTale used they could be very sucessfully in the West.

Did you investigate
the knocked over lamp

Yes.
First thing I saw the broken door, Toad told me that it was that way for weeks. Then I immediatly called Toads about the lamp, he gives me his excuses. Then I investigate the blood stain in the wall, he told me about the wound in his hand. I procceed to the windows, he gave me the crap about the loosed keys, I immediatly call the bullshit because of the broken door, again he gaves me lies about having forgeting about the broken door. Then I saw the firework poker, caught his lie about the wound (hand/feet). Wolf started to swing the poker, talking about how Toad was lying. When I go back to the front door I was able to talk again with Toad, there was an option to tell he was lying (pointed to the broken lamp being a sign of a conflict), I used it to no effect. Then it was grayed out and the only options were get rought or investigate more.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You missed
investigating the table, which has the dust outline of the lamp and an empty power socket. Wolf calls out Toad on his story about the lamp, noting it couldn't have fallen from over on the desk as the outlets are already used, whereas the outlets are free near the table.

You missed
investigating the table, which has the dust outline of the lamp and an empty power socket. Wolf calls out Toad on his story about the lamp, noting it couldn't have fallen from over on the desk as the outlets are already used, whereas the outlets are free near the table.

Ah, dammed. Thanks.

Seeing the gametrailers review really makes me want to play this game. I didn't play Walking Dead because right now I don't want to be depressed but Fable series goes zig zag in that aspect. I did forget how good the
multi
universe of that series was with the
The Literals and Mister Dark arcs

Maybe should read the last issues that I didn't read because time/school.

Great episode, not regretting my drunken night purchase at all. Can't wait for another 2 months, Walking Dead better release now to make it month/month split

Hindle

Banned
So Id say this is more of an interactive graphic novel then adventure game after playing. It's very impressive regardless.

Zekes!

Aw shit, I just learned that this had came out. I'm waiting for the PSN release tomorrow. I really enjoyed TWD, despite not being overly enamoured by the comic or the TV show. I really like Fables though, so my hype is quite high. Glad to here it's just as good as TWD.

Maybe I can get the girl I'm seeing to sit down and play this with me...I doubt it, but it's worth a try.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
In my ignorance, I didn't realise that this was coming out for 360, so this is a pleasant surprise! Loved the comics, but never played TWD, so this is going to be exciting. This'll be the only thing to drag me away from GTA:O for a couple of hours.

Zocano

I really really liked this first episode and feel it will end up topping how engaging TWD was.

However, I have one real big problem playing the game. This wasn't an issue, for the most part, in TWD because Lee was sort of a blank slate. He had a few specific character traits to himself but for the most part you could play him whichever way and it almost always felt natural.

This isn't the case for me in TWAU. Bigby is an established character. Even though I haven't read the comics, they certainly set up how everyone feels about Bigby and how he's always acted. So when it comes to a decision like
ripping off Gren's arm
, it feels like I'm fighting the established character with my decision. I feel it's pretty obvious the character arc they are going for (speculation but still spoilering)
Bigby overcoming his inner monster shtuff. However, choosing to never do anything overtly violent unless I'm forced to feels "against" the current state of Bigby's character development. Choosing to not rip off Gren's arm felt "off" to me. I didn't want to do it but I feel like this was a choice Bigby would have made.
It's much easier to translate my thoughts and feelings into decision making into Lee Everett, but I find it much more difficult to do with Bigby and thus I have a conflict when it comes to choosing what to do.

Perhaps the writers have accounted for this and will adjust Bigby's character development in future episodes. That is (spoilers just in case)
whether he resists his inner demons or reluctantly but slowly changes, or simply never does
. I'm doubtful as to how successful this process will be, as the scope of all of these adjustments seems far too grand to me (and I get the feeling Telltale has only worked on this since Episode 4 or 5-ish of TWD). I'll keep my hopes up and hope for at least a natural progression of Bigby's character through the episodes, so I will remain cautiously optimistic.

I feel blank slates work much better for these types of storytelling, but at the same time I prefer having an interesting main character. I'm far more interested in Bigby and by association the world he inhabits than Lee, but at the same time I have difficulty playing as Bigby.

I feel blank slates work much better for these types of storytelling, but at the same time I prefer having an interesting main character. I'm far more interested in Bigby and by association the world he inhabits than Lee, but at the same time I have difficulty playing as Bigby.

I feel the same way. It is much more interesting to play with such a character but at the same time the moral dilemmas we face are somehow limited by the character (or by our idea of the character). Unless you consider the story as an "alternative" story.

Also since the game happens 20 years ago we know how the characters will be later on (on the comics) so there is limited surprise or character development.

sn00zer

Man everytime Telltale announces a new game with screens I get excited, but man that animation is really behind the curve

Jake

I really really liked this first episode and feel it will end up topping how engaging TWD was.

However, I have one real big problem playing the game. This wasn't an issue, for the most part, in TWD because Lee was sort of a blank slate. He had a few specific character traits to himself but for the most part you could play him whichever way and it almost always felt natural.

It's probably cheesy advice to give, but I think you will enjoy it more if you don't try and play into your perceptions of the writer's intentions and instead play for what you would do if you were Bigby. It's how the writers write the game -- they're not writing to their favorite arc, or to a specific play style as much as they can. The Telltale writer's room is built, as much as possible, about keeping people from saying "oh but this is the best choice so obvious it's the right one." If the room agrees that one choice clearly is the best, the team then sets the goal of making sure the other choices can be "as good." Obviously that can't always happen, but hopefully that philosophy comes across -- I think it is a very different philosophy than one guided around the player playing right or wrong. The intent is to make you feel comfortable to make whatever choice and maybe to be surprised by what happens, but not worry that you're doing it wrong. You're not!

I feel the same way. It is much more interesting to play with such a character but at the same time the moral dilemmas we face are somehow limited by the character (or by our idea of the character). Unless you consider the story as an "alternative" story.

Also since the game happens 20 years ago we know how the characters will be later on (on the comics) so there is limited surprise or character development.
I never felt like Lee was a blank slate, which is weird. He was a black college professor who killed a state senator and was found guilty by the court. Who he is coming into the game is a huge part of where the tension comes from, at least for some people, especially early in the season. He (and players) eventually break from that, but a ton of the early game is about hiding your past (which the player has no ownership over) etc. Eventually Lee became "my Lee" but it seems like that didn't happen until at least the second episode, if not the third, for most people.

Man everytime Telltale announces a new game with screens I get excited, but man that animation is really behind the curve
At least they're always improving, and I think they're improving more quickly with each title. Go back and watch Sam & Max!

megalowho

Finished the episode last night and really enjoyed it. Actually think I like it more after sitting on it a bit - a slow burn as opposed to Walking Dead's gut punch. Always been a sucker for detective stories, the world and characters are intriguing and complex without giving away too much (never read the comics) and the different ways you nudge the story along feel satisfying and worth revisiting.

I do miss the option to remove the character notifications, did that halfway through TWD and found my choice making immediately became more organic with less dwelling on how things could have been better or different. I get that relevant information is conveyed at times but I'd rather just infer how I'm influencing a situation by reactions alone.

There's also times that I wished Telltale pulled from their traditional point and click roots more often, not so much in terms of puzzles but the ability to click on all the interesting stuff on screen and hear a bit of dialogue about it. The setting is practically begging for it, especially in that crazy office. Maybe they didn't want to color the player's opinion of Bigby too much, but he's already an established character anyway so why not let us into his head. As is, environments are beautiful in their detail but a little disappointing to explore.

Really glad to be playing another game like this overall though, and to see Telltale's continued growth as a studio and as storytellers. Episode 1 is an understated but confident opener, and even if the game isn't going for the emotional highs and lows of their previous work it still feels like the start of something potentially great.

I never really thought lee or bigby were blank slates; I just played them however I thought would make the story better. If I end up giving them an "arc" then that's just how I wanted the story to be told.

ultron87

Just played an hour or so. I absolutely love this. I'm sure being a big Fables fan helps, but it seems pretty fantastic either way.

Those QTEs at the start are hard!

The Adder

Banned

This isn't the case for me in TWAU. Bigby is an established character. Even though I haven't read the comics, they certainly set up how everyone feels about Bigby and how he's always acted. So when it comes to a decision like
ripping off Gren's arm
, it feels like I'm fighting the established character with my decision. I feel it's pretty obvious the character arc they are going for (speculation but still spoilering)
Bigby overcoming his inner monster shtuff. However, choosing to never do anything overtly violent unless I'm forced to feels "against" the current state of Bigby's character development. Choosing to not rip off Gren's arm felt "off" to me. I didn't want to do it but I feel like this was a choice Bigby would have made.
It's much easier to translate my thoughts and feelings into decision making into Lee Everett, but I find it much more difficult to do with Bigby and thus I have a conflict when it comes to choosing what to do.

Perhaps the writers have accounted for this and will adjust Bigby's character development in future episodes. That is (spoilers just in case)
whether he resists his inner demons or reluctantly but slowly changes, or simply never does
. I'm doubtful as to how successful this process will be, as the scope of all of these adjustments seems far too grand to me (and I get the feeling Telltale has only worked on this since Episode 4 or 5-ish of TWD). I'll keep my hopes up and hope for at least a natural progression of Bigby's character through the episodes, so I will remain cautiously optimistic.

Bigby and most of the rest of the Fables have been in the Mundy for hundreds of years. In all that time, Bigby had been sheriff. Yet it was only in the last decade that they came to treat him with anything but fear. In the comics we see him do a ton of good things and people still held the same prejudices against him for an insanely long time.

Basically that let's us fill in the blanks for this time period however we want. We know the residents of Fabletown, and especially the farm, will hold a grudge against him regardless of how hard he may be trying, the only thing we don't know is whether or not he was succeeding at this point in his efforts. Which is what we get to decide.

So canonically it works fine, since we just don't know.

Pikelet

I got a good hour and a half into this with my girlfriend and i'm really loving it so far. It's a great game to share like that, we were stuck on one of the choices for a good minute in fierce debate.

Something about the zombie setting put me off of the Walking Dead, perhaps it was just a temporary zombie overload but i felt like i had kinda already experienced much of the drama and plot points of those sorts of stories before.

This, on the other hand, feels fresh and interesting. And my god, the colours! What a fantastic art style!

Kudos to the team, we are super pumped to keep playing.

Acosta

Could someone who has read the comics answer this?

I liked this so much that I just bought the first volume. Good stuff, and now I can see some of the inspiration for this episode. But the thing is, it made me wonder if the game was a "prequel" or a alternative thing. Characters look quite different in the game, like they were "younger", less experienced. In the comics Bigby looks more cynical and thoughtful person, like some kind of old detective that has seen it all, while Snow in the comics looks way more fierce and bitter than in the game.

One thing that surprise me from both versions how unfamiliar they look to each other. I would expect from people that has been working together for two centuries to be more familiar between them (and there seems to be little acknowledgement about how Bigby saved Snow life ).

So the question is. Could this be an alternative story?

aro52

Before I drop the whopping 5 bucks on this, can someone with the console version check if there is an "Invert-Y Axis" setting?

I had to wait for the Vita version of The Walking Dead, cause the PS3 version was unplayable for me. :(

taoofjord

Really, really enjoying this! And man is it pretty to look at. They did an awesome job making it look like a comic book.

One problem... The toad part
was a complete failure of game design. It went on so long and that he was hiding something was so obvious it hurts. It felt like poorly made gameplay filler to me and hurt toad's character who I had taken an immediate liking to.

Really, really enjoying this! And man is it pretty to look at. They did an awesome job making it look like a comic book.

One problem... The toad part
was a complete failure of game design. It went on so long and that he was hiding something was so obvious it hurts. It felt like poorly made gameplay filler to me and hurt toad's character who I had taken an immediate liking to.

Bigby is a sheriff, he needed to find evidence/clues. It was obvious to everyone but he needed to find things to question Frog on.

DrBo42

Bigby is a sheriff, he needed to find evidence/clues. It was obvious to everyone but he needed to find things to question Frog on.
While yes he is law enforcement and needs evidence it's still a game. It was painfully obvious he's hiding something and to go through nearly 5-10 minutes of unbearable "Ah ha!" conversations is a failure as a game when the player wants it to end/move on. It's a bad sequence in an otherwise rock solid episode.

eXistor

Before I drop the whopping 5 bucks on this, can someone with the console version check if there is an "Invert-Y Axis" setting?

I had to wait for the Vita version of The Walking Dead, cause the PS3 version was unplayable for me. :(
I played the PC version with the Xbox controller and I could invert the Y-axis, not sure why the console version would be different.

GavinGT

Banned
Man, that was so good. I was a little put off by the talking animals and stuff at first, but within 30 minutes I was totally invested in it.

Top Bottom