• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Bro, have some class
Gotta walk away like the bigger man than pay for your whiskey when you go up to the bar........or try to pay for it and realize you gave all of your money to faith at the beginning of the chapter

Why would I want to be classy? I'm the Big Bad Wolf.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
waiting for the Vita version... loved TWD and the first 75 issue main story of Fables is god damned amazing

Malreyn

Not sure what time period the comics set in, but i got the whole 80's vibe from this game from the Intro soundtrack to the "Mongoose" movie poster that looked like it was a parody of Stallone's movie.

Serra

Just finished it, my random thoughts below. No spoilers.

Never finished Walking Dead, so I went into this with some reservations. Never read the comics either. I also hate QTEs... (not sure exactly why I bought this lol)

Pros:
Colorful visuals and fitting music
Voice acting and writing is good.
World is interesting.

Cons:
Terrible menu (PC)
QTE fest

Overall a solid 8/10 and looking forward to the next episode.

Squishy3

That's me sold then.

Would you say the puzzles are more challenging or more simplistic?
Since nobody answered your length question, each episode is 2-3 hours long. So when all episodes are out it'll be somewhere between 10-12 hours total. A lot of it is just piecing things together, at least in the first episode. If you want it to be slightly harder, go into options and turn off the thing that shows interactables in the environment.

I knew that main character reminded me of someone

TheWolfAmongUs_001_BigbyFight.jpg

d4-screenshot-ME3050150913_2.jpg

Hindle

Banned
Thanks for answering my queries.

It seems Telltale are singlehandedly bringing back adventure games. Its aso impressive how they've nailed the episodic format.

Windows 8, wireless 360 controller. Starting to sound like I just might not be able to play with this setup, even the dll fix avoids the crash but still doesn't get the game to recognize the controller. From a mod on their forums: "I can't guarantee a wireless controller will work with any of our games." -_-

I'll live with m/kb, but I really hate the way mouse control feels in this and TWD, feels much more natural with a controller.

aborath

Neo Member
Comic spoilers for the first 25 issues or so:
During the Red Riding Hood arc Bigby busts Ichabod for treason using Cinderella as a secret agent and he talks about how Snow White ousted him out of office. This is presumably that storyline.

Thanks, I had totally forgotten about that. It's been five years or so since I read the comics.

Just start playing this, loving the art style, the voice acting is really good and, gameplay wise, Telltale once again shows they're pretty much top of the class when it comes to non-games (or interactive movies, whatever you wanna call it).

That said, the premise of this game/setting comes across as totally dumb to me, can't quite get my head around it. I don't think I'm gonna enjoy it as much as TWD.

Thanks for answering my queries.

It seems Telltale are singlehandedly bringing back adventure games. Its aso impressive how they've nailed the episodic format.

That's not really fair to Quantic Dream.

But yeah, TT are doing a fantastic job of late. Shame about what happened with Jurassic Park though...

bigace33

Bigby reminds me of Wolverine....with a more villianous history.

yep. He's much smarter than Wolverine though. In the comics he's more like a cross between Batman (superior detective skills) and Wolverine (can be a savage at times). The first episode of this is great.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, really enjoyed the first episode of this. I have no frame of references on Fables at all but it's still fine/neat to see twists on characters, really like the setting and general plot they have set up.

Wow at the ending. Holy shit.

I was telling to myself "please let it be Beauty let it be Beauty" but I knew they were gonna kill off Snow :( That kinda sucks, she was a decent character. Telltale certainly knows how to make players feel like shit, the Carley wound still hurts.

Waiting for the whole season to come out to play it is so hard. I did it for The Walking Dead, but I don't think I can do it for this one.

Sorian

Banned
Waiting for the whole season to come out to play it is so hard. I did it for The Walking Dead, but I don't think I can do it for this one.

Make the plunge. Playing it as the episodes come out is more fun anyway because you find yourself with more saves that allow you to see the content from all the different angles. It really is kind of addicting going through the episodes a second
and third
time.

Not sure what time period the comics set in, but i got the whole 80's vibe from this game from the Intro soundtrack to the "Mongoose" movie poster that looked like it was a parody of Stallone's movie.

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention the music was great. Reminded me of 80's John Carpenter at times and I was definitely getting the feeling this was pre-gentrified NY. Like late 80's or so.

Finished the episode and I love it. Everything about it.

I chose to rip the arm off and felt horrible afterwards. The crying really got to me. I'm going to replay it and choose to show sympathy next time.

The Flash

Banned
So can you just buy the individual episode or do you have to pay for the whole season?

It's better to get the season pass. You'll save yourself 5 bucks if you do.

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention the music was great. Reminded me of 80's John Carpenter at times and I was definitely getting the feeling this was pre-gentrified NY. Like late 80's or so.

Felt more 90's to me. Fables started in 2002 so who knows.

Dram

Plot question
When Bigsby looked at the gun in the prince's home, he said it hadn't been fired recently. Yet Dee says the Prince shot himself, after he told him Faith had been killed. Am I remembering it wrong?

Geoff9920

Plot question
When Bigsby looked at the gun in the prince's home, he said it hadn't been fired recently. Yet Dee says the Prince shot himself, after he told him Faith had been killed. Am I remembering it wrong?
You are remembering it correctly.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just finished it. Pretty awesome, now I need to play through it again and act like the nice guy and change my decisions.

Naked Lunch

I have been a fan of the Fables comic since the beginning (although I stopped reading it around issue 60). It is amazing seeing these characters brought to life on the screen. Bufkin the flying monkey's voice is just perfect as is Colin the pig. Really great voice acting all around. I am also in love with the music.

Its got a darker vibe than the initial Fables issues but I love it. The Book of Fables bios bring back so many memories. This game has me wanting to get back into the comics - I miss these characters and I am sad I ever stopped following the book. Im going to pick up all the trade paperbacks I missed.

Dang0

Just finished the first episode and HOLY SHIT!
I thought they were more or less gonna stick to the comic cannon, but the ending basically said "Cannon? Fuck your cannon!

Really like it, especially as a reader of the comic, its an awesome portrayal of the comics.

Quick

Banned
Played through the intro. Game looks great. The art style is similar to The Walking Dead, but it's so much more colourful.

Wow at the ending. Holy shit.

I was telling to myself "please let it be Beauty let it be Beauty" but I knew they were gonna kill off Snow :( That kinda sucks, she was a decent character. Telltale certainly knows how to make players feel like shit, the Carley wound still hurts.

I think that's the one thing I really didn't like about the episode.
It was way too much like how Carley died, as soon as they suddenly made it clear she had the hots for Bigby in the taxi I knew how the episode was going to end. I actually ended up laughing at the climax because of how they tried to pull the exact same shit again. I think the whole thing would have worked much better if they changed that cab scene.

z3phon

Loved the first episode. The art style and music is just excellent. Having not played TWD I'll pick that up too.
I have a feeling Faith or Snow aren't really dead or if they are, there's more to it like some magic that could possibly be undone. The magic mirror couldn't show us Faith but he did show us the dead kings remains.
My only concern with this is that it could take away the impact of these deaths.

Just beat it on pc. Game looks incredible in 1080p. I've never read the comics so this is a brand new story for me. Is it one episode per month?

RetroMG

I think that's the one thing I really didn't like about the episode.
It was way too much like how Carley died, as soon as they suddenly made it clear she had the hots for Bigby in the taxi I knew how the episode was going to end. I actually ended up laughing at the climax because of how they tried to pull the exact same shit again. I think the whole thing would have worked much better if they changed that cab scene.

The funny thing is (Comic and game spoilers)
She doesn't actually have the hots for Bigby at this point. If memory serves, she laughs at him the first time she realizes that he's attracted to her. She does eventually come around and they do actually eventually end up getting married and having kids, but it takes a good long while.
Oh, and she's alive in the comic, too.

Top Bottom