• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

aborath

Neo Member
It seems Telltale are singlehandedly bringing back adventure games. Its aso impressive how they've nailed the episodic format.

Definitely, but I wouldn't call tWAU an adventure game, though. It's got good voice acting and writing, but absolutely zero challenge. I've got horrific twitch skills, and I only missed like two QTE prompts the entire game (one only because I wasn't expecting it). I doubt that those few misses had any repercussions whatsoever. There are also no puzzles to solve--just click all of the interactables on the screen to progress the story. It's more of a choice-driven narrative experience, a Choose Your Own Adventure rather than a Secret of Monkey Island... which is okay by me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Excellent. Loved it.

Very much a continuation of the formula Telltale established with The Walking Dead. I don't really like to say "TELLTALE ARE BRINGING BACK ADVENTURE GAMES!!!" because what they're doing, though influenced by old adventure games, is still pretty heavily steered more towards a gameplay-minimalist narrative-heavy structure. Few if any puzzles to speak of, not sure if choices are really just smoke and mirrors, etc. Not that I mind at all. The medium has a place for these kinds of "games" and Telltale does them very well.

And even though it does tread similar water to The Walking Dead, it's immediately apparent they've taken a lot of the learning experience from season one to improve The Wolf Among Us. The renderer is far more impressive and artistically more cohesive, if just for stylistic reasons. Gorgeous looking sets and visually pleasing shots. The diversity of animations and way you interact with dynamic set pieces is far richer than The Walking Dead, too. The fight scenes, though still QTEs and gestures (as per the formula), come across as a lot more alive and organic in the way you move through environments and interact with your opponent, with a nice illusion of interactivity and involvement. Episode 1 definitely seemed like a step up over The Walking Dead in production values.

Story was great, decent narrative hooks and an interesting cast that drive the story forward, with a right balance of climaxes/rushes and slower paced moments to take it all in. Still has those odd quirks in the dialogue every now and then, like The Walking Dead, where some delivery wont sound natural of the line itself not particularly relevant to how you're playing. Best example I can give of this is when (big spoilers)
I was speaking with the Woodsman in the bar, investigating Faith's death, and I didn't want to give away the death itself but instead bait him into talking about it. After all, I didn't actually know if he knew, and playing all my cards outright would be stupid. This was going well and nobody in the bar mentioned Faith's death, but after the fight, and after the Woodsman kinda half agrees to come in for questioning, Bigby says something like "I just wanna find who killed the girl" as if it were information everybody knew. Just seemed silly and inconsistent with what I'd be saying up until that point.

But yeah, I'd say this comes pretty highly recommended from me to anybody who liked The Walking Dead and that style of interactive storytelling. It's very much the same kind of thing presented in a very similar way, with some obvious technical and stylistic improvements in the execution. End of the day, you're not playing this kind of thing (like The Walking Dead) unless you want to experience the story, and thankfully the story is good stuff, ergo it is worth the investment. Episode one took me one minute shy of two hours, and I'm happy paying the ~$22 for the season.

Wow at the ending. Holy shit.

I was telling to myself "please let it be Beauty let it be Beauty" but I knew they were gonna kill off Snow :( That kinda sucks, she was a decent character. Telltale certainly knows how to make players feel like shit, the Carley wound still hurts.

in regards to that spoiler

I thought snow survived in the comics? oh well, it certainly suprised me at the end.

keep in mind, I never read the comics.

Kiant

in regards to that spoiler

I thought snow survived in the comics? oh well, it certainly suprised me at the end.

keep in mind, I never read the comics.

She does from what I hear :p which would seem like Telltale are changing it somewhat, but...

"One last thing, fellow Fables fans, regarding the ending, which I beg you not to spoil: According to Telltale, "We are working with Bill Willingham, and yes, it is canon." You may now begin freaking out." from the Joystiq review.

Only just started this morning but holy fuck, this is an awesome game.

Yea it's fucking fantastic. Like a proper noir game. Hope they really ramp it up. This is so much more interesting and intriguing than TWD. Couldn't stand many of the characters in TWD but it had some quality scenarios. This is just leagues above in many areas for me. The music just hits all the right notes, no pun intended. Sets the mood proper.

Just got done with the first episode and it was nothing short of MIND BLOWING !

It's really great to see that Telltale is continuing and in many ways improving the formula they brought forth with The Walking Dead.

The art, lighting and characters were well-built along with the voice acting and the story with of course gameplay and the choices.

Bigby's voice really had a deep impact on me and it really gave the impression of a wolf, as to how a wolf would have a voice in real life.

and that fuckin' ending :eek:

Telltale really played a mindfuck on us with that. When I saw Beast being stopped by the police, I was 100% sure it was going to be Beauty, that something might have happened to her but that revelation had me jaw dropped that now I can't think or focus on anything else. Fuck.

Never read any of the comics so I thought that it was Telltale's own original idea and concept to mash the Fable book characters into one universe. Well original or not they did a superb job of breathing the life into the universe.

Can't wait for the next episode.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just finished the 1st episode.

BEsBP6Y.gif

Tracking down trades of the series to ease the wait for the second episode lol.

Heimbeck

Banned
Yea it's fucking fantastic. Like a proper noir game. Hope they really ramp it up. This is so much more interesting and intriguing than TWD. Couldn't stand many of the characters in TWD but it had some quality scenarios. This is just leagues above in many areas for me. The music just hits all the right notes, no pun intended. Sets the mood proper.

Depends on what the future episodes are like, if all TWD episodes were like the first one it wouldn't have got GOTY and wouldn't be as acclaimed as it is now.
I think it's the same thing because IMO this first episode was on par with the first TWD episode.

Ricker

Lol,the demo on the 360 is pretty jarring for someone completly new to the series...a freakin green toad that talks and has a blue kid,lots of cussing and blood,humor etc etc...I liked it hehe ,except for the jankiness/clunky skips everywhere like TWD,especially annoying in the fight sequences,I got knocked around pretty bad at first hehe...is there a lot of fighting like this throughout the whole episode...and does the Episode 1 explain a little more about the overall world and what's going on has it progresses...?

Lol,the demo on the 360 is pretty jarring for someone completly new to the series...a freakin green toad that talks and has a blue kid,lots of cussing and blood,humor etc etc...I liked it hehe ,except for the jankiness/clunky skips everywhere like TWD,especially annoying in the fight sequences,I got knocked around pretty bad at first hehe...is there a lot of fighting like this throughout the whole episode...and does the Episode 1 explain a little more about the overall world and what's going on has it progresses...?

Reading the small biographies as they're unlocked helps a lot I feel, as someone who doesn't know shit about the comics either.

Fjordson

The noir aspect to this is interesting. Wasn't expecting it (never read Fables before).

Are the Fables comics like that? Are they as dark as this?

Is this game a technical mess on the 360? I was playing the demo and I was in the scuffle with the guy upstairs and after pressing RT, the camera spazzed out and is now outside the room. Everyone else is still obviously inside but I can't get back inside. The music is still going on but the camera is just stationary outside with all three characters still in the room. What the fuck? This has happened twice.

tjohn86

Windows 8, wireless 360 controller. Starting to sound like I just might not be able to play with this setup, even the dll fix avoids the crash but still doesn't get the game to recognize the controller. From a mod on their forums: "I can't guarantee a wireless controller will work with any of our games." -_-

I'll live with m/kb, but I really hate the way mouse control feels in this and TWD, feels much more natural with a controller.

I am really disappointed they didn't fix this. I mean copying that DLL isn't the hardest thing in the world but come on.

RetroMG

The noir aspect to this is interesting. Wasn't expecting it (never read Fables before).

Are the Fables comics like that? Are they as dark as this?

Some are, some aren't but yeah, most are. This story is so far is heavily reminiscent of the first storyline in the comics, in which Bigby investigates the murder of
Snow White's sister, Rose Red.

So I finished it last night, and I'm missing one of the Fable books, the very last one. Do I have to go back and re-do that fight scene with a different ending? Because I'm going to be really annoyed if that's the case.

rakhir

Man, this was great. I would have loved it even if it had only the fantastic artstyle, but it also had great character and an intriguing story. I read the first few issues of Fables, but it was ages ago and i have little recollection of them - i only remembered Bigby - so it was really fascinating to see how's every fable doing.

And the twist! I have no idea how they'll dig themselves out of this, but can't wait to find out.

Now I'll probably read the comics and stick with them this time.

GolazoDan

Fucking love this game. A few framerate hitches on 360 aside (newish 360 with like 30GB free) it was a brilliant time. This is definitely better than the first Walking Dead episode and I hope they can maintain it and even improve on it like TWD did. Really the first episode's just about establishing key characters and building the world and I got all of that. I totally dig the whole "hidden in plain sight" thing the Fables have going on, the noir detective themes, the voice acting, even the
action scenes where Bigby gets tossed about by the Woodsman and Grendel (complete with my occasionally missed QTE responses)
seemed to fit. The art style is different to TWD but complements the comics just as much as that series did.

The series also has those awesome endings that make you want the next episode. And I do. :-(

Heimbeck

Banned
Is this game a technical mess on the 360? I was playing the demo and I was in the scuffle with the guy upstairs and after pressing RT, the camera spazzed out and is now outside the room. Everyone else is still obviously inside but I can't get back inside. The music is still going on but the camera is just stationary outside with all three characters still in the room. What the fuck? This has happened twice.

Yeah that isn't normal, I take it you have restarted your console?

I feel lucky I didn't get any issues when I played through it.

ViviOggi

I've never finished TWD mainly because I'm tired of modern zombie stories, although Telltale executed it quite well obviously. Now after the first two chapters of TWAU I'm positive that this is right up my alley.

Sandman game pls

I had bought this in a drunken haze last night, just week after promising myself I wouldn't go drunk steaming after buying Volgarr and FFVII, dang. But hey, after getting over the shock of the game not launching (the same DINPUT8.dll bug as Walking Dead...) and playing for a while (about an hour) I don't regret it at all. Game looks great, sounds great, is pretty funny and I loved TWD so yeah, good purchase.

How to get that controller working properly again?

Veggy

Absolutely loved it, completed the first chapter last night in one sitting as a "good" guy

Gonna play through it again later today as an asshole, tempted to pick up the comics now

Mikeside

Holy shit, just finished the episode. Fantastic. This could be shaping up to be the best thing they've done.

Now to purchase some TPBs...

Sloane

Banned
Liked the episode and the entire world, might check out the comics some time. Not as impressed as I was from the first episode of TWD though, mostly because the choices feel naturally less existential and I'm starting to be annoyed by the episode format.

Also, isn't it entirely obvious that
Snow isn't actually dead? Mirror couldn't even show the other "dead" girl but blabbered something about magic.

Necrovex

I wasn't sure what to expect from The Wolf Among Us. I came out loving the game. Time to get back onto the TellTales hype train for the future episodes.

I recall how much fun the Walking Dead spoiler thread was as we pieced together what would happen next.

kazebyaka

Banned
Replayed the episode. Didn't liked that your choices except two major ones affect mostly nothing in this episode with "it might affect something in next episode" promise. Kinda lame, to be honest.
And inability to skip dialogue is stupid. Why? Also 90% of QTE are auto-resolving themselves.
And playing as a bad guy is more fun than a good guy.
Overall, still a good game.

Just finished Episode 1, and so far definitely leaving up to Telltale's TWD pedigree.

After playing through this episode as the tough but fair cop, I'm looking forward to next episode and
going into full-on bad cop mode to find out who killed Snow, even though like most folks I'm pretty sure she's not actually dead.

Just finished the first episode and honestly, this gave me a better first impression then TWD did. To be fair it's pretty easy to top TWD's set up when the setting is just zombies V.S fucking noir fairy tales. Note that I haven't read the comics, but this got me hooked. really looking forward to the second.

mancan92

Banned
Just got to the decision between
Going to toads or price lawrance

This game is awesome already they really have refined the formula really well. The world is crazy interesting and surprisingly dark. Well done Tell tell it seems your onto another winner.

The Adder

Banned
So we can all agree it's
Crane
right?
Crane
or perhaps
the Headless Horseman

Or at the very least someone who specifically has a bone to pick with
Crane

Messi

Episode spoilers
Why did you have to kill Faith telltale. You dickheads :(. I also felt like shit lying to beast.

eshwaaz

Just tried the 360 demo. Holy hell, the performance during the fight scene is atrocious. It chokes and stutters every time it cuts to a different shot, ruining any sense of flow. I don't know if I could tolerate this through an entire series.

Chairhome

Finished. Loved it. Very different vibe from Walking Dead, I loved the score to the game as well, I felt it suited it pretty nicely. Kind of disappointed
that we didn't really solve anything in the episode and that the mystery is overarching, was hoping to open up another mystery at the end.
So we can all agree it's
Crane
right?
Crane
or perhaps
the Headless Horseman

Crane
That was my thought as well.
Episode spoilers
Why did you have to kill Faith telltale. You dickheads :(. I also felt like shit lying to beast.
Did you not play Walking Dead? You are supposed to feel like a piece of crap throughout these games. haha.

Regarding the ending, (comic related spoiler)
In the books, if I remember correctly, the more popular a story is, the more powerful the fable, and because of that, dead fables can come back, the more popular they are, the quicker it happens. Or am I remembering wrong? So that could take care of that, unless its not really her head like some of you guys are guessing

I also got the crap scared out of me when
Dee jumped out of the closet

jukeboxtimebomb

Neo Member
This was super duper double looper awesome. It makes me want to read the comics. Having to wait for episode 2(and the following episodes) is going to be a bitch.

aborath

Neo Member
So we can all agree it's
Crane
right?
Crane
or perhaps
the Headless Horseman

Crane

Edit: Nevermind, just read the Wikipedia article on the original.

Still, Crane seems to have some woman-hatred issues going on with his abusiveness towards Snow and his mid-day "massages" (probably prostitute visits). In the Irving story, he was spurned by the heiress who he was trying to woo, which could be the catalyst for everything. Although it was his rival who was revealed to be the horseman (maybe the Huntsman after all?)

Like you said, it's probably a setup. The clues pointing to Crane seem a bit too obvious for Tell Tale.
COMIC SPOILER
(I will say that Blue Beard in the comics seemed too obvious to be the villain of the first arch, and he totally was),
though I'm not sure what kind of curve-balls they could throw over the next four episodes. Can't wait to find out.

Probably prostitutes would be a great band name.

Top Bottom