• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

TellTale are becoming terrific developers in my opinion, the writing and pacing is top quality.

Never going to happen but I would love them to do a Star Wars or X-Men game

My vote is going to Firefly. That would be so awesome.

I think that's the one thing I really didn't like about the episode.
It was way too much like how Carley died, as soon as they suddenly made it clear she had the hots for Bigby in the taxi I knew how the episode was going to end. I actually ended up laughing at the climax because of how they tried to pull the exact same shit again. I think the whole thing would have worked much better if they changed that cab scene.

I remember looking over at my husband and asked, "So do you think that person is the killer, or do you think they are just going to be killed off?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That's funny you both mention the VO, I had the same feeling. I wasn't too fussed about his power nerf as it was in service of the narrative. I think they nailed the character's ...uh... character, though.

Yeah it's a really minor gripe, and after playing through the episode twice now it's kind of forgotten, but when I started its not to be thrown off after reading 130+ issues of the comic I kind of developed a voice in my head for Bigby.

The abilities bothers me more, because I feel like they could have worked around it if they tried, but it's still understandable. Even the comic has times when shit goes down where you're like "wut." It's the nature of the beast.

I'm just thrilled at how well the world is so far realized and how much tighter a package it is over TWD. I really hope TWD season 2 continues to improve things.

I finished the chapter last night. I loved everything about it but I'm worried that the
killer will be the non-descript redheaded guy you pass in the hall with Snow and later see lined up at Crane's office. That non-encounter was just enough to purposefully leave a memory but make you think nothing of it.

Good theory. The only thing is...
The piece of fabric he found outside doesn't match with what that guy was wearing. I was thinking it may be from something that Faith was wearing, but it doesn't look like it is. One other weird thing about that redheaded guy is it almost looks like he's the driver of the cab that you leave Snow White in before heading into the bar. You're probably right though, it'll either be some non-descript character or it could even be the blatantly obviously choice of Blue Beard.

kodecraft

I really enjoy these types of games, definitely keeps you immersed. This stuff inspires me to develop an experience within the same genre.

I'm playing the demo on the 360 version. Is there no way to turn off all the game hints (ie 'this will be useful later' and 'he'll remember this'? I find it really distracting and I could turn it off in Walking Dead.

tenz0r

Does this run better on any particular platform? I have 360, PS3, PC. I remember Walking Dead for PC having issues with save files, and the PS3 or 360 having screen tearing issues for Walking Dead. I am leaning towards the PS3 versions since the season pass is $19.99, while PC/360 seems to be $24.99. Any thoughts?

Heimbeck

Banned
The piece of fabric he found outside doesn't match with what that guy was wearing. I was thinking it may be from something that Faith was wearing, but it doesn't look like it is. One other weird thing about that redheaded guy is it almost looks like he's the driver of the cab that you leave Snow White in before heading into the bar. You're probably right though, it'll either be some non-descript character or it could even be the blatantly obviously choice of Blue Beard.

I thought that guy ith the huge nose said he wasn't in the country so it couldn't have been him. Something like that anyway, I don't think they would make him the murderer anyway.

anddo0

Purchased. It's about time.

Does this run better on any particular platform? I have 360, PS3, PC. I remember Walking Dead for PC having issues with save files, and the PS3 or 360 having screen tearing issues for Walking Dead. I am leaning towards the PS3 versions since the season pass is $19.99, while PC/360 seems to be $24.99. Any thoughts?

I went with the PS3 version because it's cheaper and dat easy plat.

But overall it's better on PC. The odd pausing, and performance issues from TWD are present in the console versions.

I thought that guy ith the huge nose said he wasn't in the country so it couldn't have been him. Something like that anyway, I don't think they would make him the murderer anyway.

I thought Ichabod was talking about the mayor (I forgot his name). I know Ichabod is just filling in for the guy. I don't really think it's Blue Beard, but they may just be trying to throw you off by making him such an obvious choice. At this point I don't think the killer is any of the suspects we have to choose from. Another thing I thought was interesting is that I went to Lawrence first and of course Dee doesn't have blood on him this time, BUT he did have blood on his shirt collar when he shows up at the Trip Trap Bar. (My husband and I are playing our own game. He chose to go to Toad first, and he ended up ripping Grendel's arm off. I showed Grendel mercy and walked away.)

louiedog

But overall it's better on PC. The odd pausing, and performance issues from TWD are present in the console versions.

This is the best Telltale developed PC game yet. My girlfriend's four year old laptop plays it with a solid framerate with the highest settings. It's an i3 with integrated graphics. Previous Telltale games like BttF played poorly even with most settings on low. Even my desktop had issue with performance on the previous games. I'm glad they've finally got their engine running well, especially with what I think is their best looking game to date.

Sorry to ask this again but is the 360 version any better than the PS3 version ?

Unfortunately I don't have the option to play this on PC, I just played the demo on my PS3 Slim (which has no problem with any other game) and even though the game looks great it really runs like shit. The micro pauses are completely insufferable. The Walking Dead was also pretty bad in this regard but not nearly as bad as this...

So should I try downloading the 360 version or is it a waste of time ?

My vote is going to Firefly. That would be so awesome.

Duude. I just finally got around to watching Firefly recently, would be so rad.

Just finished episode 1 and super happy it's not just the Walking Dead guys that can make great episodes like this. I especially loved the aesthetic and music, just great stuff all around.

Sorian

Banned

I was doing my second run through yesterday. (Speculation)
I'm thinking its that red head now as well. I had always assumed it was going to be a character that we haven't been introduced to yet but I really think he was the one driving the cab. I happened to notice it yesterday and said to myself "wow, how lazy, they just decided to reuse that random character model for the cabbie........oh wait, shit, that probably wasn't laziness"

Daffy Duck

Sorry to ask this again but is the 360 version any better than the PS3 version ?

Unfortunately I don't have the option to play this on PC, I just played the demo on my PS3 Slim (which has no problem with any other game) and even though the game looks great it really runs like shit. The micro pauses are completely insufferable. The Walking Dead was also pretty bad in this regard but not nearly as bad as this...

So should I try downloading the 360 version or is it a waste of time ?

It plays fine on my PS3.....

Brewer

Neo Member
Just finished the first chapter, really impressive stuff. Good writing, cool characters(never read the comics). And the music, just wow! Had a difficult time with the QTE sequences though, often hard to see where to point the reticule resulting in
Bigsby getting his ass kicked.

The
"they shit gold"
line had me laughing out loud! So good!

How long do we have to wait till the next episode?

NeoGiff

I feel that the greatness of the soundtrack really needs to be stressed. I mean, did any of us here really expect the soundtrack to be as good as it is, or even, for that matter, to be such an important aspect of the game? Telltale aren't traditionally known for their OSTs (despite some games having nice tracks now and again), but the music in TWAU really took me by surprise.

Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY04tzTKQG0

I was doing my second run through yesterday. (Speculation)
I'm thinking its that red head now as well. I had always assumed it was going to be a character that we haven't been introduced to yet but I really think he was the one driving the cab. I happened to notice it yesterday and said to myself "wow, how lazy, they just decided to reuse that random character model for the cabbie........oh wait, shit, that probably wasn't laziness"

Fuck, I think you are right. Will the story of the five episodes be about the murderer and solving who is he? If this is the case, the entire experience will be ruined for me. Now I'm pissed off. I regret that I read your post.

Vizzeh

Banned
Thought this game was great, awesome music, great art direction and the story and voice acting was top-frigging notch.

I personally didnt need to beat toad as some of you are referring to, I spotted all the lies and called in out on it.

On Faiths husbands dying breath, I asked who did this to you, he said faith... and on the mattress he left a letter which did seem like a suicide note saying he wish he never hurt her, so both are confusing messages, did he kill her, did she kill him, was it suicide or did he cheat on her etc? I think I messed up the story arc and labeled him as my primary suspect but also choose to let the woodsman go as he seemed convincing and didnt like the fact Dee had blood all over him and was clearly involved, not to mention kicked my ass in an alleyway. Great game.did everyone get the same ending??

Was gonna buy the season pass, but does anyone know if both this game will be out on PS4, with hopefully the walking dead season 2... have tell tale got 2 teams now?

Duude. I just finally got around to watching Firefly recently, would be so rad.

Just finished episode 1 and super happy it's not just the Walking Dead guys that can make great episodes like this. I especially loved the aesthetic and music, just great stuff all around.

It really would be a perfect medium since all of the actors are getting older.

Sorian

Banned
Fuck, I think you are right. Will the story of the five episodes be about the murderer and solving who is he? If this is the case, the entire experience will be ruined for me. Now I'm pissed off. I regret that I read your post.

I doubt all five will be about solving who the murderer is. I'm assuming you haven't read the comics? I won't say why that's important but if you did know the comics, you'd have an idea of the other thread forming that will be important in these episodes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I thought these fables were Disney's property, or maybe that's the only place I've seen them.

Anyways, loved the first episode. I love games with excellent stories like this, and the way the presentation is makes it even better.

Fuck disney.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, I thought the same about Wolf. He looks older and more grumpy in the comics. In the game he looks like a cross from Wolverine and Sawyer from Lost. Plus his abilities, specially his sense of smell, are really downgraded. Like when he was surprised to find Collin in his couch (should know even before entering the apartment), the real nature of the owner and the monster in the bar, plus anyone seens to be able to surprise or hit him...

Im sure he knew the true nature of gren and holly. Nothing there made it seem like he didnt.

Leeness

Got this today, season pass on PSN.

That was pretty freaking great! Really looking forward to more of these.

...nooooooooooooooo at the end of the episode though.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Just finished the first episode.

God damnit... GOD DAMNIT. I cannot wait for Episode 2.

Also, I called it, but
I still let out a big 'NOOO' at the ending...

Amazing work by Telltale.

schick85

Should have thought twice about getting this on the PSN. There are jaggies everywhere and the textures seems to be blurrier than the 360. I'm actually thinking about rebuying this on the 360 because of this.

re-watched episode one on youtube after playing through myself.. i think
the killer may be Conan O'Brien aka the redhead..

NeoGiff

Replayed it last night, and I noticed that there's definitely something strange going on in relation to
the murders

Faith says
"These lips are sealed" twice, once in the Woodsman's apartment before you throw Woody out, and once down on the street just before the opening credits kick in. This phrase is then repeated by the Mirror when you ask him to find Faith, and he even draws attention to the fact that it's not his own choice of words, but rather the way it "has to be"

Also, I chose to
arrest the Woodsman last night just to see what happens (as opposed to arresting the much more suspicious Dee), and in the preview for Episode 2 it actually looks like Woody has some relevant info concerning Faith, something I didn't expect. I can't remember if there was a similar scene shown in the preview relating to Dee confessing

That's a lot of spoiler tagging.

NeoGiff

I finished this yesterday and telltale's writers are so far ahead of other developers in the industry that it's almost embarrassing.

s0JNoqTH.jpg

Sorian

Banned
Too bad the gameplay sucks in all their recent games (don't tell me QTEs are fun)

Story > Gameplay

Loved the first episode, should I double dip on the TWD? I want to play more :(((

If you enjoyed this, you will enjoy TWD. As long as you haven't been spoilered by anything, I'd say go for it. My only advice is try to always set aside two hours for each episode so that you can do it in one sitting.

aborath

Neo Member
I thought these fables were Disney's property, or maybe that's the only place I've seen them.

Very old European morality tales collected by (and in some cases written by) the Brothers Grimm in the 18th century, revived with the rise of Romanticism in the 19th century, popularized in America by Disney in the 20th century, and given new life by Bill Willingham's Libertarian fantasies as Fables in the 21st century.

Sorian said:
If you enjoyed this, you will enjoy TWD. As long as you haven't been spoilered by anything, I'd say go for it. My only advice is try to always set aside two hours for each episode so that you can do it in one sitting.

I bought the entire collection during the Steam summer sale. Think it's going to be the next game I dive into.

NeoGiff

What's the last book of fables entry for eps 1? I missed it somehow.

Strong opening episode though, really enjoyed it.

There are two separate ones depending on whether you
tear Grendel's arm off or walk away
. Just use the rewind feature to
go back to the bar
and choose whichever option you didn't before.

Kurtofan

No I already played it on 360 (except for the DLC), I wondered if I should rebuy it (with 400 days) on steam.

Top Bottom