• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Man that was great. I've never even read a single issue of Fables but now I'm really curious to check it out. Debating on if I should do that now or wait until after Wolf Among Us wraps up though. Honestly, while I loved The Walking Dead I found much more promise in this first episode than I did in the first episode of that. A big part of that is personal preference though, much more of a noir guy than a zombie guy.

I can't wait for episode 2!

ultron87

Finished it. Loved it.

On the stat screen at the end,
who is the bottom middle suspect that had the majority of the vote right now on Xbox? He has a black tank top on and tattoos. I really don't remember seeing him. I may just have an incredibly bad memory.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finished it. Loved it.

On the stat screen at the end,
who is the bottom middle suspect that had the majority of the vote right now on Xbox? He has a black tank top on and tattoos. I really don't remember seeing him. I may just have an incredibly bad memory.

Her "pimp" I think. Don't believe he was ever shown.

Has Telltale gotten any better at the technical side of their games? (as in no bugs)

Afraid not. The presentation itself is done better here(Walking Dead felt like it was held together by duct tape) but the randomly terrible performance is still in tact, and while replaying I hit a bug during an early fight that got stuck on the scene and I had to restart.

Violet_0

Banned
so is the game considered canon? Only asking because
I'm pretty sure they killed a major character in the comics at the end

It's a prequel.

I've read the first comic and this is very confusing, regarding my question

e: yep it's actually canon
expecting a twist

So we can all agree it's
Crane
right?
Crane
or perhaps
the Headless Horseman

Or at the very least someone who specifically has a bone to pick with
Crane

my new theory is that
Faith is not actually dead

Jonboy

Really loved the first episode. Want to check out the comics for sure...but I want to wait until I finish the prequel.

Already got spoiled on something I kinda wish I hadn't. If you're in the same boat...you should consider not reading anything about the comics even if you've completely finished the 1st episode of the game. There's a pretty major "spoiler" regarding some events in episode 1.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Played the first two/three sections last night... didn't realise I'd been playing for an hour and a half! Love it, especially all the references to the comic books.

I replayed the first EP with my GF with different choices and it seems that not only were differences large, they seem to have a lot of effect on the next episodes...

Also, the game keeps track of your choices and shows a star ribbon on the end stats if the choise was new it seems

NeoGiff

I'm on EU PSN, so I only had the opportunity to play today. Finished it an hour ago, and it surpassed my high hype level. I'm completely blown away by how perfectly Telltale nailed the atmosphere. I was expecting something good after TWD, but definitely not at this level. If subsequent episodes retain this level of quality (framerate issues and hangups notwithstanding), I may even prefer it to TWD.

My choices this episode:
Gave Faith my money
Told Beast the truth about Beauty
Went to Toad's house first
Didn't prevent Prince Lawrence's death
Pinned Bluebeard as my target (I've read the first issue of the comic)
Arrested Tweedle Dee

I also
ripped off Grendel's arm
, as I felt that's what Bigby would really do in that particular situation, but then went back and
walked away
just so I could get the trophy.

Looking forward to doing a second playthrough and reversing my initial choices!

ultron87

Probably, doesn't mean someone relating to
Crane
isn't behind it, though.

It seems reasonable that this whole thing (early comic spoiler)
will end with Crane being dismissed as assistant mayor and Snow taking his place. Don't know exactly how she'd be not dead, but they can magic something up or just use the excuse that she can't stay dead because her story is extremely well known.

milena87

Man that was great. I've never even read a single issue of Fables but now I'm really curious to check it out. Debating on if I should do that now or wait until after Wolf Among Us wraps up though. Honestly, while I loved The Walking Dead I found much more promise in this first episode than I did in the first episode of that. A big part of that is personal preference though, much more of a noir guy than a zombie guy.

I can't wait for episode 2!

Yeah, I was really tempted to pick up the first Volume of Fables but I decided to wait until the end of the game, as I loved playing the first episode without knowing a single thing of the universe.

I have really high hopes for this series :)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Man that was great. I've never even read a single issue of Fables but now I'm really curious to check it out. Debating on if I should do that now or wait until after Wolf Among Us wraps up though.

The comic is excellent, I highly recommend it. There's an awful lot of them, too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Major comic book spoilers. Don't read if you haven't, err, read the comics:
I guess The Wolf Within will better explain the mortality of fables. Snow's supposed to be borderline immortal due to her fable's popularity. But I've always been under the impression that decapitation = permadeath. Clearly that isn't the case, and some magic wizardry will be put forth to bring her back.

KePoW

Banned
Afraid not. The presentation itself is done better here(Walking Dead felt like it was held together by duct tape) but the randomly terrible performance is still in tact, and while replaying I hit a bug during an early fight that got stuck on the scene and I had to restart.

Dang, well thank you for the honest feedback

wouwie

Since i love adventure games but skipped TWD due to the zombie setting (which i find uninteresting), i was looking forward to giving this a try. However, the demo didn't convince me enough to buy. It didn't convince me to not buy either so i'm somewhat undecided here.

Since most of the demo consisted of a QTE fight which i didn't find particulary interesting or fun, i'm wondering how representative this is for the whole episode? Also, i really don't understand the appeal of having a timed answer choice mechanism. I don't feel that it adds anything to the gameplay, on the contrary. Also, i have the feeling that several lines of speech weren't played at all?

I still remember Telltale from their early games like Monkey Island, Sam and Max and Bone. And i'm wondering why their latest games have to be so dark, serious and violent. I miss the light hearted, fun and funny adventure games.

I think i'll have a look at how the game evolves past the demo on youtube to have a better understanding of what the game is about.

DukeBobby

Finished the first episode yesterday.

Loved every minute of it. If the rest of the episodes are just as good, 2014 already has an early GOTY contender.

laaame

I guess The Wolf Within will better explain the mortality of fables. Snow's supposed to be borderline immortal due to her fable's popularity. But I've always been under the impression that decapitation = permadeath. Clearly that isn't the case, and some magic wizardry will be put forth to bring her back.

Comic spoiler:

This wouldn't be the first time Snow has received a "fatal" injury though, a very similar injury happened in the comics actually. It took her about 6 weeks while in a coma for her wound to full regenerate but she should have been dead from her injuries. What I am wondering after the end of the first episode is what were those purple lines around the severed head wounds? I'm guessing that it's magic which would explain why her head wouldn't eventually regrow/reattach itself.

Some great, great stuff in that first episode. Never heard of the comic series, but looked at some screens of the game and instantly liked the art-style: mood and atmosphere is kind of my thing lol.

Played on PS3, some annoying short freezes and bugs but nothing too bad.

My choices were:

1.Told Beauty I'd keep a promise and lied to Beast. :(
2. Went to the Prince's house first and jumped out of the closet to scare Dee.
3. Told Snow I thought the killer was Dee and Dum
4. Ripped that guy's arm off :lol
5: Arrested Dee.

I really like the fact that you have all these well-known fairy-tale characters but they put a new twist on it, making it interesting and cool.

The lamp in Crane's room is from Aladdin, right?

Squishy3

Episode 1 spoilers:
It'll be more like someone sent the message that Bigby is getting involved with something he shouldn't and they're sending a message. I doubt Snow is actually dead, but Faith might be. But her location is concealed when you try to find her through the mirror so maybe she's still alive too. Bluebeard might be the one who hired Dee and Dum to search for Faith, maybe he's the pimp? And then obviously Beauty plays into this somehow as well.

Arulan

This may have already been answered, if so, I apologize. For those who have read the comic books, would reading them spoil my experience of the game in any way (to your knowledge) or give me any insight to the outcome of events?

laaame

This may have already been answered, if so, I apologize. For those who have read the comic books, would reading them spoil my experience of the game in any way (to your knowledge) or give me any insight to the outcome of events?

Yes, this game is a prequel so even reading the early issues will give away some possibilities of what can happen in TWAU. And personally I feel like this game rehashes some elements of the comics which sorta makes it feel like I've already seen this before. That said, Telltale has made an excellent game and I can still enjoy their take on this universe, regardless of the fact that I more or less know what to expect by the end.

I would say read them after all of the episodes are released because they are just as good as the game.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm now up to issue 7 in the comics, this is some really slow reading. I can obviously see where they got the inspiration to make a game on it.

Jeezus dat ending.

I can't ;_; If Snow White got it like dat no one is safe. And dat adorable, yet awkward taxi-ride convo? Ultimately a waste :(

Spoo

Okay, so, here's a question:

I got this and loved it. In fact, I loved it so much, I went to the bookstore and bought the first graphic novel collection (the first 10 comics or so?) because I couldn't get enough. I've read the first three or so.

Am I better off not doing this? I don't want to be "spoiled" about anything, I guess, with respect to the game, but I kind of feel that's already happened a little bit (comic book spoiler) :
Snow white is alive, so, uh, yeah.

For people who are waist-deep in the comics and enjoying this game, has reading the comics hurt your enjoyment of the game or increased it? I just want to be careful since I'm really excited for the next episodes of the game series, but I don't want to ruin their impact story-wise.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Who said death was even involved? These lips are sealed

ultron87

For people who are waist-deep in the comics and enjoying this game, has reading the comics hurt your enjoyment of the game or increased it? I just want to be careful since I'm really excited for the next episodes of the game series, but I don't want to ruin their impact story-wise.

It's definitely increased the enjoyment for me. Getting to see a bunch of characters I really like animated with great voice work is pretty awesome. The only thing you might spoil yourself on is the eventual fates of certain characters, but I'd expect that the game was written to still be enjoyable to fans of the series. (Early comic spoiler)
Though obviously the cliffhanger of this chapter is way less effective.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Finished this the other night. Really amazing.

I am 80% happy with its representation of Fables, some of the VO feels off to me. Bigby isn't as gruff as I imagined him, but hes still good, and Beast just flat out does not sound like I thought he would. Other than that a few instances of Bigby being uncharacteristically surprised and watered down abilities were noticeable, like the dude has a sense of smell that puts sharks and bloodhounds to shame, it shouldn't be that easy for people to get the jump on him or leave him in their dust.

All that aside this game is so much better than TWD in just about every way. Graphically its gorgeous and fully realized and a marked improvement over TWD which was often flat and very barebones. Performance wise its flawless, unlike TWD, but most important of all is that the dialog so far and your various choices are far more consistent and natural feeling than TWD. Same for the action sequences which feel extremely fluid and appropriately fast paced.

The amount of times in TWD that dialog would just abruptly end or transition to another topic was far too much, along with the options often feeling unreasonably limited or silly, the fact that Lee would casually stroll no matter what was going on or how characters would just constantly yell and stand still doing nothing while shit was going down always took me out. But so far everything in TWAU has been very well presented and executed. These feel like real people reacting to events in the world and not stage props, mechanically moved for dramatic effect, like TWD often felt.

Edit: One big gripe I have is that they still don't have dialog skip options. I enjoyed replaying TWAU to try out different options, but god damn it's annoying to have to sit through shit I've seen before. Not as bad as TWD since it's not so slowed paced and mechanical, but still annoying.

ArjanN

Finished this the other night. Really amazing.

I am 80% happy with its representation of Fables, some of the VO feels off to me. Bigby isn't as gruff as I imagined him, but hes still good, and Beast just flat out does not sound like I thought he would. Other than that a few instances of Bigby being uncharacteristically surprised and watered down abilities were noticeable, like the dude has a sense of smell that puts sharks and bloodhounds to shame, it shouldn't be that easy for people to get the jump on him or leave him in their dust.

All that aside this game is so much better than TWD in just about every way. Graphically its gorgeous and fully realized and a marked improvement over TWD which was often flat and very barebones. Performance wise its flawless, unlike TWD, but most important of all is that the dialog so far and your various choices are far more consistent and natural feeling than TWD. Same for the action sequences which feel extremely fluid and appropriately fast paced.

The amount of times in TWD that dialog would just abruptly end or transition to another topic was far too much, along with the options often feeling unreasonably limited or silly, the fact that Lee would casually stroll no matter what was going on or how characters would just constantly yell and stand still doing nothing while shit was going down always took me out. But so far everything in TWAU has been very well presented and executed. These feel like real people reacting to events in the world and not stage props, mechanically moved for dramatic effect, like TWD often felt.

Edit: One big gripe I have is that they still don't have dialog skip options. I enjoyed replaying TWAU to try out different options, but god damn it's annoying to have to sit through shit I've seen before. Not as bad as TWD since it's not so slowed paced and mechanical, but still annoying.

To be honest I feel the reason it feels more polished is probably mostly because it's even more linear than TWD. Still loved it though.

No dialog skip option isn't really a big deal to me as I don't feel you're supposed to replay it anyway, or at least not right away.

Tangeroo

I finished the chapter last night. I loved everything about it but I'm worried that the
killer will be the non-descript redheaded guy you pass in the hall with Snow and later see lined up at Crane's office. That non-encounter was just enough to purposefully leave a memory but make you think nothing of it.

The Adder

Banned
Comic spoiler:

This wouldn't be the first time Snow has received a "fatal" injury though, a very similar injury happened in the comics actually. It took her about 6 weeks while in a coma for her wound to full regenerate but she should have been dead from her injuries. What I am wondering after the end of the first episode is what were those purple lines around the severed head wounds? I'm guessing that it's magic which would explain why her head wouldn't eventually regrow/reattach itself.

That
injury wasn't similar though. She took a sniper round to the head and STILL walks with a cane because of the damage it did. Given that, fully decapitating Snow would almost certainly kill her. At the very least she'd still have the scar.

NeoGiff

I finished the chapter last night. I loved everything about it but I'm worried that the
killer will be the non-descript redheaded guy you pass in the hall with Snow and later see lined up at Crane's office. That non-encounter was just enough to purposefully leave a memory but make you think nothing of it.

This was my thinking, too.
He definitely stood out.

Azzurri

I thought these fables were Disney's property, or maybe that's the only place I've seen them.

Anyways, loved the first episode. I love games with excellent stories like this, and the way the presentation is makes it even better.

Yeah, I thought the same about Wolf. He looks older and more grumpy in the comics. In the game he looks like a cross from Wolverine and Sawyer from Lost. Plus his abilities, specially his sense of smell, are really downgraded. Like when he was surprised to find Collin in his couch (should know even before entering the apartment), the real nature of the owner and the monster in the bar, plus anyone seens to be able to surprise or hit him...

I thought these fables were Disney's property, or maybe that's the only place I've seen them.

Those stories are hundreds of years old, they are public domain. Anyone can use it. Disney have some rights and trademarks about the looks they created for each character, but not the character per si.

They are originally books written in Europe, some of them by Brothers Grimm.

The Grimm Brothers did not created those stories, they just collect in book form the stories from oral tradition of some German regions. Most of the stories are hundred years old than Grimm, and even exist in some other form (Little Red Hood). Even the Grimm edition brings several variations of the same tale.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I thought the same about Wolf. He looks older and more grumpy in the comics. In the game he looks like a cross from Wolverine and Sawyer from Lost. Plus his abilities, specially his sense of smell, are really downgraded. Like when he was surprised to find Collin in his couch (should know even before entering the apartment), the real nature of the owner and the monster in the bar, plus anyone seens to be able to surprise or hit him...

That's funny you both mention the VO, I had the same feeling. I wasn't too fussed about his power nerf as it was in service of the narrative. I think they nailed the character's ...uh... character, though.

Top Bottom