• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

So is the Season Pass considerably cheaper than buying all installments separately would be? Seems really cheap. It's roughly the same length/amount of episodes as TWD?

Sorian

Banned
No I already played it on 360 (except for the DLC), I wondered if I should rebuy it (with 400 days) on steam.

Ah I see. Hmm, well 400 days was very good tho you won't get a huge connection with each character since you spend very little time with each one (15-20min). My answer would be so much more detailed if we knew how important save data from season 1 will be going into season 2 (but at the very least we know that 400 days data will transfer over and its fairly obvious how once you finish the chapter).

So is the Season Pass considerably cheaper than buying all installments separately would be? Seems really cheap. It's roughly the same length/amount of episodes as TWD?

You should be using this money to buy a mini-fridge :p

But yes, all episodes together will be cheaper than individually (about $5 cheaper I think, not including any sales) and this first chapter was about 2 hours for me so spot on for teltale's usual episode length. And yes, 5 episodes are planned for this season of wolf among us

I still have a whole collection of Telltale games to play through, including The Walking Dead series. The Wolf Amongst US does look pretty great, but I don;t want to add more to my Telltale backlog :/

wouwie

I finished the first episode and ended up liking it a lot. I'm really looking forward to the next episode to see where it's heading.

Presentation wise, it was great: nicely designed and good looking menus, great comic book visuals, solid voice acting and subtle but great music. It's such a shame that it wasn't running smooth on ps3: a lot of loading, stuttering and frame rate issues made the game a lot less smooth than could (and should) have been.

Gameplay wise, it's certainly more of an interactive movie than a game. There are no puzzles and the exploration is just there to move the story forward. iirc, i think the inventory was not used at all in the game. It didn't like the timed answer mechanic at all since it didn't add anything to the gameplay, on the contrary. I didn't find the QTE segments particulary interesting either. But all those gameplay mechanics are there to support the story, as a means to progress through that story. As such, i didn't have a problem with it.

It's the story, world and characters that made this game interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of violent and mature stories/games but it worked well in this game since it's based on a comic book world.

I bought the season pass and i look forward to see how the game will unfold. But the first episode was promising to say the least.

Sorian

Banned
I still have a whole collection of Telltale games to play through, including The Walking Dead series. The Wolf Amongst US does look pretty great, but I don;t want to add more to my Telltale backlog :/

Obviously just my opinion but TWD is the only good full series that Telltale has put out so far. Wolf Among Us was great with the first episode and I expect that to continue for the rest of this series as well since they seemed to have learned a lot with TWD. That being said, you'd probably be better off ignoring the TT games before walking dead.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So considering this episode was so great and The Walking Dead was also awesome.

Are there any other Telltale games that are just as great as TWD en TWA?

Obviously just my opinion but TWD is the only good full series that Telltale has put out so far. Wolf Among Us was great with the first episode and I expect that to continue for the rest of this series as well since they seemed to have learned a lot with TWD. That being said, you'd probably be better off ignoring the TT games before walking dead.

I actually enjoyed the Puzzle Agent games more than I should have. I really wanted to like Back to the Future series, but I could never find enough interest to play past the first episode. I enjoyed Sam & Max season 1 and never did finish season 2 or 3. I also have
Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures through a humble weekly bundle. But I never even started that.

I think I might jump into the Walking Dead though. I am digging the art style though in The Wolf Among Us, the cell shading looks nice. It makes me wonder why they didn't use a style like this for the Walking Dread? It would've fit in with the original Walking Dread graphic novels.

I don't like the way they divide episodes whatsoever. In fact, if they managed to nail down the technical problems they have and if they could give me a 15 hour play through I'd gladly pay 60 dollars.

Dave1988

s0JNoqTH.jpg

Ha Ha Ha.

Nope.

Sorian

Banned
This is unbelievable falsehood in a universe where Naughty Dog exists.

I like Last of Us as much as the next guy but its not like the writing was god-tier (it wasn't here in wolf among us either).

So considering this episode was so great and The Walking Dead was also awesome.

Are there any other Telltale games that are just as great as TWD en TWA?

YMMV, personally, I'm going to say no. TWD and Wolf are definitely their pinnacle achievements. You may like their other ones, some people like Back to the Future and Sam & Max, I didn't but again its hard to gauge what people will like and not like with this studio.

Just finished. I loved it, had a lot more fun with it than The Walking Dead (although subject matter probably has a lot to do with that, since I don't like TWD in the first place). The visual design and soundtrack are absolutely top notch.

I only wish the animation was less stilted, but otherwise I thought the whole thing was really cool. I'm gonna need to pick up the soundtrack.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
TellTale is finally hitting it's stride. Loved TWD, but this is even better (and i wasn't a fan of TT's early work). It helps that I'm a big fan of the comics.

This may have already been answered, if so, I apologize. For those who have read the comic books, would reading them spoil my experience of the game in any way (to your knowledge) or give me any insight to the outcome of events?

i'd wait til the game is over, then start the series. the main story (issues 1-75ish) is just sooo solid.

vocab

I beat the first episode. When I initially played some of it, I didn't like it, but now that I beat it I actually can't wait for the next episode.

Does the comic series have continuity or is mainly a monster of the week style comic? That's my biggest gripe with american comics. Most of them I like, but they go no where, or retcon stuff for the sake of it. It's why I can't get into a lot of them.

Really enjoyed the first episode.

Spoiler
Love that you can tear Grendel's arm off. Classic

I would love to see them do something related to Marvel.

Sorian

Banned
Among video games it most definitely is. You know what? It's actually pretty great writing, period.

Right, and telltale's game are pretty great writing too. That's all I said. I'm just not going to give TLOU more hype than it deserves. It is GOTY-material but that still doesn't make it god-tier.

JLuke2600

I'm chiming in to say that I played it on my MacBook Air (2013) and it runs smooth at full settings, just in case you were worried about the "Not recommended for Intel integrated graphics..." condition in the System Requirements.
I was worried it might not run well, since some of the screens were really striking.
It crashed twice though, which wasn't too fun.

The Last of Us and The Wolf Among Us (and Walking Dead, even though it wasn't to my personal tastes) are pretty much baseline "good writing," which is what we should demand from all story-driven video games. I wouldn't say either of them are mind-blowingly well written (yet, at least, in TWAU's case) but they're very well crafted without a lot of the gaping stupid holes a lot of story driven games have.

And boy do they stand head and shoulders above most story-heavy games.

NeoGiff

The Last of Us and The Wolf Among Us (and Walking Dead, even though it wasn't to my personal tastes) are pretty much baseline "good writing," which is what we should demand from all story-driven video games. I wouldn't say either of them are mind-blowingly well written (yet, at least, in TWAU's case) but they're very well crafted without a lot of the gaping stupid holes a lot of story driven games have.

And boy do they stand head and shoulders above most story-heavy games.

This, so much this.

DryvBy

Man everytime Telltale announces a new game with screens I get excited, but man that animation is really behind the curve

Agreed. If they're just standing around talking, it looks amazing. This is still a step up from The Walking Dead in terms of quality animation.

anddo0

Wow at that first episode.

I think they nailed it with this one.. Definitely one of my top 5 games of the year.

kakashi08

I couldn't find the walking dead episode thread, quick question. Should I play all 5 episodes without the 400 days DLC, or with it? How would that work.

Tacitus_

I couldn't find the walking dead episode thread, quick question. Should I play all 5 episodes without the 400 days DLC, or with it? How would that work.

It happens after the the first season and some characters directly refer to events that happened in the final moments of the first season - this reference being a twist (if a foreseeable one) and a mystery in the original game.

I know, right? I had noticed a few, but not all.

Wow, they've really hit the nail on the head

I noticed some of those points, but not the reference to the boy who cried wolf.

But I believe it is just part of the mistery and there should be something bigger. A revenge story is not that strong. He looks just a tool.

There is still open points, like the importance of Faith and her cloak, why she was killed (should not only to catch Wolf attention), who is the employer from Dee and Dum, why they are also persuing the same information.

I noticed some of those points, but not the reference to the boy who cried wolf.

But I believe it is just part of the mistery and there should be something bigger. A revenge story is not that strong. He looks just a tool.

There is still open points, like the importance of Faith and her cloak, why she was killed (should not only to catch Wolf attention), who is the employer from Dee and Dum, why they are also persuing the same information.

Absolutely. I think he's involved, but I don't think he's the killer.

That's good investigative work, but it's probably a red herring. No way TT would leave that many obvious clues knowing people would do exactly what that poster has...

Squishy3

That's good investigative work, but it's probably a red herring. No way TT would leave that many obvious clues knowing people would do exactly what that poster has...
Spoilers from that link:
It's probably more likely that he's the taxi driver because they reused his model for it instead of creating a unique taxi driver model.

Top Bottom