• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

dvize

Banned
I really enjoyed this episode. Just the idea is pretty creative. I'm glad they adapted it from the comic book. It kind of makes me want to go read the comic book, but then i might disappoint myself.

The actual choices in the game are pretty interesting. I decided to go the evil asshole route and rip the guys arm off. Can't wait for more carnage.

It kind of makes me want to go read the comic book, but then i might disappoint myself.

I liked the game so much, I decided to re-read the comics. They are every bit as good as the game story, although there are some understandable inconsistencies (Bigby complaining how uneventful his job was before the comic began). The comic is great, but you might spoil the game a bit by knowing which characters are still around 20 years later.

jediyoshi

Just saw the vita announce trailer

wSNnYVH.png

Dat letter grade

Jomjom

Banned
Finished chapter 1 and I have to say I like it even more than Walking Dead. I'm a huge fan of Wicked, so many I'm just into the new takes on old classics thing.

Zekes!

I finally got around to playing this tonight. I'm really digging the whole murder mystery, and I can't wait until episode 2. I'm already a big fan of Fables, and it feels neat to go back and revisit that world in a different capacity, because the whole mundane life of Fabletown is what I enjoyed about that series the most.

I love that the unique nature of this mythos
allows characters like Snow to "die".
. This is going to be tense as fuck, buying the Season Pass right now. That being said... when's Episode 2 out?!

Also, hopefully we get to beat the shit out of Ichabod.

soepje

I´m still not sure if i should get it or not. I want to, and it looks great, but at the same time i wasn´t a big fan of TWD either. I love telltales older stuff though. Argh, decisions decision.

Dang0

I´m still not sure if i should get it or not. I want to, and it looks great, but at the same time i wasn´t a big fan of TWD either. I love telltales older stuff though. Argh, decisions decision.

Well, why did you dislike TWD? If it was gameplay, you should probably stay away, since its mostly the same here. If it's the story, The Wolf Among Us is quite different, and you might wanna give it a try.

soepje

Well, why did you dislike TWD? If it was gameplay, you should probably stay away, since its mostly the same here. If it's the story, The Wolf Among Us is quite different, and you might wanna give it a try.
It´s the gameplay. I guess i shouldn´t hurry to get it then.

Have telltale definitively confirmed whether this is alternate universe or canon? I know its a prequel in a time sense, but I need to know
the likelyhood that Snow will come back at some point, as if it is canon they're gonna have to find a way to bring her back as she's in the comics... but I can't think of any fairytale characters that would possess that kind of magic ability off the top of my head (plus having Snow back would make me SUPER happy, loved her character :(

Absolutely loved the first episode btw, much better than the first outing for the Walking Dead... let's hope it goes on the same trajectory as the Walking Dead just kept getting better and better and Wolf is starting from an even better spot

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Have telltale definitively confirmed whether this is alternate universe or canon? I know its a prequel in a time sense, but I need to know
the likelyhood that Snow will come back at some point, as if it is canon they're gonna have to find a way to bring her back as she's in the comics... but I can't think of any fairytale characters that would possess that kind of magic ability off the top of my head (plus having Snow back would make me SUPER happy, loved her character :(

She got shot in the head in the comics and survived. The more popular the faerytale with the mundies, the more resiliant they are to damage/death.

Also, when you use the Magic Mirror to find Faith in the game after her death, it won't show you her ("My lips are sealed". Since Snow White befell the same fate, there must be something else is going on...

She got shot in the head in the comics and survived. The more popular the faerytale with the mundies, the more resiliant they are to damage/death.

Also, when you use the Magic Mirror to find Faith in the game after her death, it won't show you her ("My lips are sealed". Since Snow White befell the same fate, there must be something else is going on...

Ah, did not know that first point, I assume that will introduce that in the next episode or few. Interesting.

I did notice that second part though and instantly sent up a red flag when I remembered back after the end of the episode. Definately think there is more than they are letting on. My question is (and if you could keep it as spoiler free from the comic... which I know I should read already) how does she come back from the gunshot? Cause unless there is another mechanic as part of the setting like the part you mentioned in the first paragraph I can't think of a way apart from being brought back by some kind of sorceror (someone like Merlin maybe, only one I can think of atm)

EDIT: Oh she didn't actually die, well then I don't know how they're gonna retcon this if it is canon XD

Black text is fun.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, did not know that first point, I assume that will introduce that in the next episode or few. Interesting.

I did notice that second part though and instantly sent up a red flag when I remembered back after the end of the episode. Definately think there is more than they are letting on. My question is (and if you could keep it as spoiler free from the comic... which I know I should read already) how does she come back from the gunshot? Cause unless there is another mechanic as part of the setting like the part you mentioned in the first paragraph I can't think of a way apart from being brought back by some kind of sorceror (someone like Merlin maybe, only one I can think of atm)

Black Text is fun.

I feel like I'm in a military censorship department.

Shit, sorry, I didn't know you hadn't read the comic, mate! Um... she was in a coma for six weeks and (kind of) healed during it. Usually, a wound like the one in TWAU would kill a lesser Fable (Faith, for instance...), but she is very popular (like the Woodsman). That mechanic gets played with pretty interestingly in the comics.

PierrePressure

Neo Member
Loved the first episode aside from two minor gripes.

1. Too short.
  2. Can we not have the option to have all episodes available in one go? I'm impatient!

_Ryo_

For the comic readers, how do you feel about the voice acting? Do you feel that the actors represent the characters faithfully?

Ex. Does Frog sound like you expect him to?

Same question to the visuals.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
For the comic readers, how do you feel about the voice acting? Do you feel that the actors represent the characters faithfully?

It's strange, I hadn't really thought about the voices before. Toad's not a character I remember seeing in the comics but I thought his voice suited well, especially as it's a British story he's come from. Bigby sounds fine too, although I thought it'd be a little gruffer it doesn't bother me. Will have to wait and see whether more characters who are central to the comic books start to show up to see whether they feel like they "fit", at the moment most of these characters haven't had big storylines, if they've appeared at all. It's only really Bigby and Snow who are major characters so far, Colin has made a few appearances but is relatively minor. Unless I'm forgetting anyone?

The voice acting's fine generally though.

I feel like I'm in a military censorship department.

Shit, sorry, I didn't know you hadn't read the comic, mate! Um... she was in a coma for six weeks and (kind of) healed during it. Usually, a wound like the one in TWAU would kill a lesser Fable (Faith, for instance...), but she is very popular (like the Woodsman). That mechanic gets played with pretty interestingly in the comics.
Lovely, thanks for that (and don't worry, its really my fault for not reading the comics earlier)

So I'm assuming we can expect another episode by the end of the year? Mid-december seems like about the right timeframe (though would accept earlier... or now, lol)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Visuals are spot on for me. Voice-wise, Bigby didn't sound quite as gruff as I imagined and Snow was always English and posh in my head. Bufkin was spot on. To be fair, it was only disturbing for all of ten seconds. They've done a marvellous job capturing the characters.

El-Suave

I liked the first episode a lot, it was even more devoid of challenge than TWD was, but that's fine with me. The only thing that's slightly bothering me is that now there are trophies that require different decisions "forcing" you to play some chapter twice. The rewind feature makes that easy enough, and I don't mind trying out different things after you've completed the whole game, but the strength of these kinds of games comes from the personalized story and that being tempted to play something differently more or less immediately puts that in jeopardy.

Zekes!

Bigby's is the only one that bothered me at first, I also expected him to sound gruffer, but it quickly grew on me

Megatron

Since i love adventure games but skipped TWD due to the zombie setting (which i find uninteresting), i was looking forward to giving this a try. However, the demo didn't convince me enough to buy. It didn't convince me to not buy either so i'm somewhat undecided here.

Since most of the demo consisted of a QTE fight which i didn't find particulary interesting or fun, i'm wondering how representative this is for the whole episode? Also, i really don't understand the appeal of having a timed answer choice mechanism. I don't feel that it adds anything to the gameplay, on the contrary. Also, i have the feeling that several lines of speech weren't played at all?

I still remember Telltale from their early games like Monkey Island, Sam and Max and Bone. And i'm wondering why their latest games have to be so dark, serious and violent. I miss the light hearted, fun and funny adventure games.

I think i'll have a look at how the game evolves past the demo on youtube to have a better understanding of what the game is about.

It's $5. That's not even a lunch at Taco Bell anymore. Stop trying to find everything you can about the game - which will likely only kill your enjoyment of it if you do eventually buy it, and spend the $5 to see for yourself.

theRizzle

Loved the first episode aside from two minor gripes.

1. Too short.
  2. Can we not have the option to have all episodes available in one go? I'm impatient!

Uhhh what?

You can have all the episodes in one go, when they are done. But then you would have to wait until next year to play.

Megatron

It's strange, I hadn't really thought about the voices before. Toad's not a character I remember seeing in the comics but I thought his voice suited well, especially as it's a British story he's come from. Bigby sounds fine too, although I thought it'd be a little gruffer it doesn't bother me. Will have to wait and see whether more characters who are central to the comic books start to show up to see whether they feel like they "fit", at the moment most of these characters haven't had big storylines, if they've appeared at all. It's only really Bigby and Snow who are major characters so far, Colin has made a few appearances but is relatively minor. Unless I'm forgetting anyone?

The voice acting's fine generally though.

Beauty, Beast and Bufkin are all pretty large characters in the books. Or at least, they have become more so in the last 50ish issues. I didn't really think anything about their voices not sounding like I'd expected, but I agree with Bigby, I thought he'd be gruffer, but I quickly got used to it. I remember waiting for him to speak trying to guess what he'd sound like. I half expected him to be voiced by David Hayter or Steve Downes.

Gattsu25

Banned
Never read the comics, just finished the first episode of the game.

Lovely.

It got me interested in the comics so I think I might give that a try.

Kinyou

So the game's story is different from the comics? Just checking, because I'd hate to spoil the game for me by reading it.

Jake

So the game's story is different from the comics? Just checking, because I'd hate to spoil the game for me by reading it.

The game takes place decades before the comics. That means that the game's events themselves won't be ruined, but you'll be looking 30 years into the future. The comics have been running for ages and many Fables comic fans are enjoying the game and not feeling spoiled (though they are feeling confused/inquisitive) so you're probably okay.

Kinyou

The game takes place decades before the comics. That means that the game's events themselves won't be ruined, but you'll be looking 30 years into the future. The comics have been running for ages and many Fables comic fans are enjoying the game and not feeling spoiled (though they are feeling confused/inquisitive) so you're probably okay.
Ah alright, thx for the info. Going to jump into the first few volumes, the game certainly did a great job at selling me on the universe.

Lamptramp

Having read all the comics several times I'd mostly agree but I'd hesitate to completely give it the ol' spoiler free thumbs up especially since
where we leave chapter one and who is and isn't the assistant mayor of Fabletown
in comic 1.

Depends how sensitive you are to spoilers Kinyou matey, if you're really into the story of the game thus far and can wait, I'd say to wait. If you're appetite is whetted by the game and *need some more of that universe then go ahead.

Hard to say without spoiling, I'd say the arc is unique but characters are not.

Kinyou

Having read all the comics several times I'd mostly agree but I'd hesitate to completely give it the ol' spoiler free thumbs up especially since
where we leave chapter one and who is and isn't the assistant mayor of Fabletown
in comic 1.

Depends how sensitive you are to spoilers Kinyou matey, if you're really into the story of the game thus far and can wait, I'd say to wait. If you're appetite is whetted by the game and *need some more of that universe then go ahead.

Hard to say without spoiling, I'd say the arc is unique but characters are not.
Ok, read into the first few issues and it is pretty instantly apparent what could be considered a spoiler. But at the same time do I assume that the game was also made with the comic fans in mind, so I assume that it might be not that much of a spoiler after all. No regrets here ;)

Lamptramp

Ok, read into the first few issues and it is pretty instantly apparent what could be considered a spoiler. But at the same time do I assume that the game was also made with the comic fans in mind, so I assume that it might be not that much of a spoiler after all. No regrets here ;)

Yeah was the first thing I thought of, it didn't affect my enjoyment of the game story thus far though, but depends how sensitive you might be.

yamo

I loved The Walking Dead even though im not a big fan of zombie stories... this universe seem so much more interesting to me. Im gonna try to wait buying it untill all episodes are out, I will probably fail though :(

Really enjoyed the demo, but I'll probably wait for all episodes to be released before I spend any money... simply because I don't know whether I'll still have my PS3 or not

They talk about PS4/Xbox One plans a little in a Reddit AMA done by Dan Connors and Kevin Bruner. The gist was that Telltale is of course planning on developing for those platforms, but they don't have anything to announce yet and it didn't sound like the plan was to have anything in the launch window.
OK thanks. I'll just pick it up now in that case. The trial was excellent.

Question 2: is the season pass PS3 only or is it also available on 360?

Jake

The season pass is only good for the platform on which you buy it, I think. That's how it was with past TTG games at least.

jtkauff

If I remember correctly the 360 has a season pass, but done a little differently - you purchase Episode 1 for US$5 and then buy a bundle of Eps2-5 for US$15. The PS3 has it all in one bundle for US$20. There is also a season pass for PC, but it's full price at US$25.

I purchased for the PS3 so don't quote me on the other platforms, but that's what I remembering reading.

Ok I bought it and I'm enjoying it so far. However I do have one gripe, it may sound silly but it really bothers me. I hate that you can't turn off the hints, like you could in The Walking Dead. 1) They're distracting. 2) They break the immersion of the world by constantly referencing the mechanics behind the game. 3) It's like being forced to ride a bike with training wheels, I don't need the extra help. 4) Most of the time it's really obvious anyway, the facial expressions in the game are so good you can generally tell how people feel about the things you do and say to them.

I don't know if it would be possible to patch in the option to turn them off but if it was I'd really appreciate it.

Kinyou

Ok I bought it and I'm enjoying it so far. However I do have one gripe, it may sound silly but it really bothers me. I hate that you can't turn off the hints, like you could in The Walking Dead. 1) They're distracting. 2) They break the immersion of the world by constantly referencing the mechanics behind the game. 3) It's like being forced to ride a bike with training wheels, I don't need the extra help. 4) Most of the time it's really obvious anyway, the facial expressions in the game are so good you can generally tell how people feel about the things you do and say to them.

I don't know if it would be possible to patch in the option to turn them off but if it was I'd really appreciate it.
That's actually something that bothered me a little as well. I played through Walking Dead without all the "so and so will remember this" hints.

NeoGiff

It's not silly, it's a legitimate concern, especially since (as you said) the option was available in TWD. It seems strange that it's gone, as to many the ideal way to play is with hints etc. off.

Even my wife (who was watching me play) was making fun of it, like when I touched an object she'd say something like "The elevator button will remember you pushed it." So she wasn't helping!

Top Bottom