• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Netflix releases entire seasons of their shows so fans can 'marathon-watch' them. Meanwhile, Telltale still releases their games at a slow-arse pace.

Get with the times, Telltale.

Eusis

Netflix releases entire seasons of their shows so fans can 'marathon-watch' them. Meanwhile, Telltale still releases their games at a slow-arse pace.

That's kind of a terrible example though as the whole point of Telltale going with episodes is so they can release the games bit by bit as they work on them, and perhaps charge per episode. Not as if fan feedback ever changed the course of a TV series mid-season, maybe with the exception of South Park or something.

On the other hand this episodic gaming idea seems to ultimately be a dead end: HL2 Episode 3 vanished into the ether entirely and instead we're waiting on HL3 proper, games like Sin Episodes never went past more than one, and I don't think you can even buy individual episodes for newer Telltale games, just Season Passes which is more like Steam's Early Access. Hell, they probably stay on one course generally with only minor deviations anyway.

... are you serious? This is an incredibly inaccurate and ignorant analogy. Just say you want the full game and not episodic.

Haunted

I know you tried, but you should lay it on even thicker so people realise you're joking.

Sloane

Banned
That's kind of a terrible example though as the whole point of Telltale going with episodes is so they can release the games bit by bit as they work on them, and perhaps charge per episode.
Well, I guess the question would be though: Are Telltale's games better or worse for being episodic? You could probably make the case for The Walking Dead because the cliffhangers worked well and it was kinda reminiscent of the TV show but for every other Telltale series, the episode format feels neither necessary nor especially helpful.

I wish they would try to make a "complete" game for once but it doesn't look like they are interested in that.

Dang0

I have to wonder if Rose Red and Charming will show up in this, I'd be interested in seeing how they react to what happens in this. I am glad
Bluebeard
will show up though.

NeoGiff

Still batting a thousand with terrible opinions, I see.

CN0OBA6ri.jpg

On topic, and since I couldn't find an active Fables |OT|, I'll post it here.

I started reading Fables just before TWAU was released, and I must say I'm thoroughly impressed. Last night I finished
The March of the Wooden Soldiers
, and I was completely blown away. What an arc! On top of everything else, the double page spreads are beautifully drawn. Does Willingham maintain that high level of quality? I have read in numerous places that a quality drop is imminent. That wouldn't make me stop reading, I'm just curious as to the future of the series.

Roto13

That's kind of a terrible example though as the whole point of Telltale going with episodes is so they can release the games bit by bit as they work on them, and perhaps charge per episode. Not as if fan feedback ever changed the course of a TV series mid-season, maybe with the exception of South Park or something.

On the other hand this episodic gaming idea seems to ultimately be a dead end: HL2 Episode 3 vanished into the ether entirely and instead we're waiting on HL3 proper, games like Sin Episodes never went past more than one, and I don't think you can even buy individual episodes for newer Telltale games, just Season Passes which is more like Steam's Early Access. Hell, they probably stay on one course generally with only minor deviations anyway.

You can buy individual episodes for everything but PC.

On topic, and since I couldn't find an active Fables |OT|, I'll post it here.

I started reading Fables just before TWAU was released, and I must say I'm thoroughly impressed. Last night I finished
The March of the Wooden Soldiers
, and I was completely blown away. What an arc! On top of everything else, the double page spreads are beautifully drawn. Does Willingham maintain that high level of quality? I have read in numerous places that a quality drop is imminent. That wouldn't make me stop reading, I'm just curious as to the future of the series.

The next big arc you've got coming up is utterly, completely outstanding. I envy you getting to experience it for the first time. After that, it goes into a holding pattern a bit with side stories, another big arc after that thats a bit meh and suffers because it keeps adding in side stories that are seperate from the arc, and then its smaller stories and thats as far as I've got atm (About 30ish issues behind the most recent iirc).

NeoGiff

The next big arc you've got coming up is utterly, completely outstanding. I envy you getting to experience it for the first time. After that, it goes into a holding pattern a bit with side stories, another big arc after that thats a bit meh and suffers because it keeps adding in side stories that are seperate from the arc, and then its smaller stories and thats as far as I've got atm (About 30ish issues behind the most recent iirc).

Thanks, I've been reading via the trades, so each arc is nicely contained. I only have The Mean Seasons left to read at home, and then it's back to searching for the next few! It's nice to know that Willingham has an end in sight, too.

Also, would it benefit me to definitely read Jack of Fables in its recommended place before moving on with the main series, or is it that essential? There are so many little spin-offs that it's difficult to know when they take place/when to read them. I know the essential ones are included in the trades, but I'm just curious about the rest.

vocab

Thanks, I've been reading via the trades, so each arc is nicely contained. I only have The Mean Seasons left to read at home, and then it's back to searching for the next few! It's nice to know that Willingham has an end in sight, too.

Also, would it benefit me to definitely read Jack of Fables in its recommended place before moving on with the main series, or is it that essential? There are so many little spin-offs that it's difficult to know when they take place/when to read them. I know the essential ones are included in the trades, but I'm just curious about the rest.

Theres a blog post so you want to read fables? That just updated. Google search it. It has a good timeline approach to the series and all its spinoffs and future spinoffs.

I've been reading them individually rather than TPBs, but there is a cross over further down the line between JoF and a mini-series called The Literals, but it looks like the trades bundle them into one volume so you should be alright. But that's the only JoF I've read so far as I'm not a huge fan of the character and I've not had any problems. Everything else is self contained, in Fables at least. May jump onto Fairest once I've run out of Fables backlog as that looks quite good.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Jack of Fables is, in my opinion, not all that necessary of a read. It ties into the main series later on, and if you want that to make a little more sense/have a little more impact then it's probably worth going back and reading it, but to be honest it all depends on how much you enjoy his character. It's not got the same sort of feel to it as the main series, mostly sticking with the "I'm awesome and ladies love me and I can get away with anything" attitude. Not really as compelling or well-written.

NeoGiff

Theres a blog post so you want to read fables? That just updated. Google search it. It has a good timeline approach to the series and all its spinoffs and future spinoffs.

I've been reading them individually rather than TPBs, but there is a cross over further down the line between JoF and a mini-series called The Literals, but it looks like the trades bundle them into one volume so you should be alright. But that's the only JoF I've read so far as I'm not a huge fan of the character and I've not had any problems. Everything else is self contained, in Fables at least. May jump onto Fairest once I've run out of Fables backlog as that looks quite good.

Jack of Fables is, in my opinion, not all that necessary of a read. It ties into the main series later on, and if you want that to make a little more sense/have a little more impact then it's probably worth going back and reading it, but to be honest it all depends on how much you enjoy his character. It's not got the same sort of feel to it as the main series, mostly sticking with the "I'm awesome and ladies love me and I can get away with anything" attitude. Not really as compelling or well-written.

Thanks a million, guys. vocab, I found that blog post, it's a big help.

I have to say, after playing TWAU first before reading Animal Farm, [comic spoilers]
I was massively shocked with Colin's death. TWAU almost plays him up as a pretty important character, so it was a nice twist to see him killed off so brutally. The same goes for Bluebeard, shockwise. Man, I love this universe.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
March of the Wooden Soldiers is when shit gets real. It doesn't let up until Book 11 when the story ends (imo). Skip the awful side stuff (Jack, Literals, Fairedt) but do read 1000 Nights. Don't bother reading past Book 11.

Book 6 and Book 10 are the fuckin jam. So is Book 7. They're all good, really.

Telltale never addressed the issue when it was an ongoing problem while the episodes of TWD season 1 were releasing, so it's unlikely they would do so afterwards. Since only one episode of Wolf has come out so far, we have no idea if the save game problems will continue. However, given that the PC controller bug from TWD remained in Wolf and Telltale's general lack of support for their games, I'd put good odds on them not having done anything to fix the issue.

That's dissapointing to hear, guess I'll keep waiting then. Thanks!

Eusis

You can buy individual episodes for everything but PC.
Right, I couldn't remember for sure. On the other hand they kind of started on PC, that's the most flexible place business model-wise, and yet it's vanished as an option, possibly existing on consoles more as a result of how they handle DLC as stated. It does kind of feel like they're gradually giving up on the idea of actually having a system where you buy them episode-by-episode, wouldn't surprise me if on PS4/XB1 it becomes fully all-or-nothing. Though maybe it's just that people didn't buy episode-by-episode ever on PC anyway.

Roto13

Right, I couldn't remember for sure. On the other hand they kind of started on PC, that's the most flexible place business model-wise, and yet it's vanished as an option, possibly existing on consoles more as a result of how they handle DLC as stated. It does kind of feel like they're gradually giving up on the idea of actually having a system where you buy them episode-by-episode, wouldn't surprise me if on PS4/XB1 it becomes fully all-or-nothing. Though maybe it's just that people didn't buy episode-by-episode ever on PC anyway.

Well, when you can get the entire season for like $10 before the second episode comes out, why not? :p

Quasar

And personally I prefer it this way. Though I'd like the gaps a bit shorter. I like the discussion between episodes of the game and TV show shows.

Whaaat. That is rubbish.
Did you expect any less? Doing two series at a time was always going to be a disaster. Guess it's not as bad if you're a TWD fan too. I'm going to have to replay episodes of both though if there's a two month gap between each, fucked if I remember what happened in this last ep.

Did you expect any less? Doing two series at a time was always going to be a disaster. Guess it's not as bad if you're a TWD fan too. I'm going to have to replay episodes of both though if there's a two month gap between each, fucked if I remember what happened in this last ep.

Honestly? Yeah, I did. I was under the impression when I played the first episode that it wouldn't be 2014 by the time the next episode would be playable. It doesn't affect my opinion of the series, I'm just saying it's pretty rubbish.

Honestly? Yeah, I did. I was under the impression when I played the first episode that it wouldn't be 2014 by the time the next episode would be playable. It doesn't affect my opinion of the series, I'm just saying it's pretty rubbish.
I get the feeling they're rushing TWD2 out in time for the holidays.

Roto13

Well at least TWD is coming this month, Still hopefully there isn't anymore 3 month gaps between episodes

It'd better be.

I can live with this if it means the two series' alternate monthly.

The first episode shouldn't have come out in October if they weren't going to have the next episode out until January, though.

Heimbeck

Banned
It'd better be.

I can live with this if it means the two series' alternate monthly.

The first episode shouldn't have come out in October if they weren't going to have the next episode out until January, though.

At the bottom it says it is.
And when they showed TWD season 2 trailer they said before Christmas.
Safe bet is that it's coming this month.

With these types of episodic releases, I like to wait until all the episodes are released and play all of them at once.

A much more enjoyable experience, imo.

Roto13

With these types of episodic releases, I like to wait until all the episodes are released and play all of them at once.

A much more enjoyable experience, imo.

A huge part of the fun of The Walking Dead was discussing it with other players between episodes.

That seems to be happening less with The Wolf Among Us, though.

What choice did you guys make at the end?
I feel like the woodsman isnt very involved in anything, so I went after the twin.

Also what happens if you go the princes house first, then to the frogs?

Roto13

I feel like the woodsman isnt very involved in anything, so I went after the twin.

Also what happens if you go the princes house first, then to the frogs?

He's still barely alive when you get there and you can save him, and there's nobody in the Woodsman's apartment when you get there.

hohoXD123

At the bottom it says it is.
And when they showed TWD season 2 trailer they said before Christmas.
Safe bet is that it's coming this month.

It's showing up as 17th December on Steam so that's probably when.

Sucks about TWAU though, was expecting late November or early December. Though if we're going to have alternate monthly releases of TWD and TWAU then I can live with the wait.

iiicon

No Wolf Among Us until January? Lame. I guess this gives me more time to re-read Fables, and TWD this month will scratch the same itch, but that's still disappointing.

ArjanN

A huge part of the fun of The Walking Dead was discussing it with other players between episodes.

That seems to be happening less with The Wolf Among Us, though.

There's only so much to discuss after the first episode. Like the first episode of the TWD it's mostly setup.

And yeah, playing it episodically is the superior experience. The cliffhangers and the discussion about the episodes are actually a pretty big part of the experience IMO.

I have no problem with the release schedule, especially if they're also doing TWD at the same time.

Heimbeck

Banned
It's showing up as 17th December on Steam so that's probably when.

Sucks about TWAU though, was expecting late November or early December. Though if we're going to have alternate monthly releases of TWD and TWAU then I can live with the wait.

Cool, although since TT always have different releases for PSN and XBLA I wonder when it's coming for them.

Ditto.
I originally went after Woody, but right as I pushed the button I realized "I made a huge mistake" and reloaded my game.

Let's hope it doesn't come back to haunt me. Knowing TellTale, it might. :lol

thefil

Sort of off topic, but am I the only one that dislikes that TWD Season 2 is about Clementine? I thought the "letting go" aspect of TWD S1 was so poignant, and mirrored the parental guidance theme that carried the whole season. To me, it feels like cheating to get to see more of Clementine after that ending - it destroys the mix of fear and pride that encompassed the end of Season 1.

So yeah, I think I'm going to skip S2. Glad I have another TTG to bolster it up (trying to bring it back on topic! :) )

Just bought Ep.1 today and beat it. It was awesome! I loved it. I spoiled myself about
Snow dying
. It was a magnificent first episode and I'm so excited to play more! I'm missing one Fable story though that you fin in the 1st episode. Who is it? Thanks!

Roto13

Just bought Ep.1 today and beat it. It was awesome! I loved it. I spoiled myself about
Snow dying
. It was a magnificent first episode and I'm so excited to play more! I'm missing one Fable story though that you fin in the 1st episode. Who is it? Thanks!

You get one for
ripping off Gren's arm
and one for not doing it.

Ditto.
I originally went after Woody, but right as I pushed the button I realized "I made a huge mistake" and reloaded my game.

Let's hope it doesn't come back to haunt me. Knowing TellTale, it might. :lol

It could!
They have already once made the least obvious option the best one (going to the apartments rather than going to Frog).

theRizzle

Sort of off topic, but am I the only one that dislikes that TWD Season 2 is about Clementine? I thought the "letting go" aspect of TWD S1 was so poignant, and mirrored the parental guidance theme that carried the whole season. To me, it feels like cheating to get to see more of Clementine after that ending - it destroys the mix of fear and pride that encompassed the end of Season 1.

So yeah, I think I'm going to skip S2. Glad I have another TTG to bolster it up (trying to bring it back on topic! :) )

I think it's very likely that only a little bit will be about Clem. I wouldn't even be surprised if she dies in the first couple episodes. It is The Walking Dead afterall. No one is safe.

Top Bottom