• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Pollux

These delays are getting fucking ridiculous. And now they're working on what, 4 games at the same time? They can't even update 2 consistently.

TellTale has definitely bitten off more than they can chew at the moment...

These delays are getting fucking ridiculous. And now they're working on what, 4 games at the same time? They can't even update 2 consistently.

TellTale has definitely bitten off more than they can chew at the moment...

I'm hoping they'll at least finish off Fables and TWD season 2 before either TftB or GoT are released...

Gartooth

I loved the Walking Dead season 1 and I refuse to start season 2 or any other TellTale series until the delays improve for TWAU. Absolutely horrendous handling of the schedule so far and I don't want to see this series drag on until late 2014.

Pollux

I'm hoping they'll at least finish off Fables and TWD season 2 before either TftB or GoT are released...

They probably will, the only problem that I foresee is that by taking on those two additional games they're taking away resources from TWD and Fables when it's apparent that they're already stretched pretty thin.

They're going to have to start on planning and laying the groundwork for the other two series prior to finishing Fables and TWD. Hopefully the quality of their product doesn't suffer because of it.

Just played the first hour of this, really nice stuff.

They probably will, the only problem that I foresee is that by taking on those two additional games they're taking away resources from TWD and Fables when it's apparent that they're already stretched pretty thin.

They're going to have to start on planning and laying the groundwork for the other two series prior to finishing Fables and TWD. Hopefully the quality of their product doesn't suffer because of it.

This is especially worrysome for The Wolf Among Us, as it is the smallest franchise of the bunch and will probably sell the least. If money or time gets tight at Telltale, this game will suffer first.

On a happier note, I just noticed this game stands nicely next to The Walking Dead in my alphabetic steam library
fuck off The Witcher

Vico

Played it last night, and I loved it.
At first, it felt a little bit too oppressing to me, but I got really engaged in the story towards the end.

Ending is awful. :p
I kinda expected that to happen though.

But man, it runs like shit on 360, and the loading times completely break the rhythm.

spekkeh

Banned
Wanted to wait until the season was near complete, but yeah, started playing it yesterday and finished it just now. Holy shit it's awesome and what a cliffhanger. Started off maybe better than TWD and that was my Goty of last year. Hopefully if I mix it up with TWD the wait doesn't feel quite so long for the both of them.

ash_ag

Played through the first episode last weekend. Completely blown away by the game's quality and can't wait for Episode 2. I'm also tempted to start reading the Fables series, but probably a bit later.

Does anyone know if Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1 is good to play for someone not familiar with the comic or TV show? I'm considering it just because due to Telltale, but I wonder if it's more rewarding for people already familiar with the franchise. What Telltale game in the veins of The Wolf Among Us would you recommend for a total Telltale newbie?

RPGCrazied

Fucking loved it! But where is episode 2? :( I will say the engine seems to run better on PS3 than the walking dead season 1 did. I hope season 2 will run just as well.

Does anyone know if Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1 is good to play for someone not familiar with the comic or TV show? I'm considering it just because due to Telltale, but I wonder if it's more rewarding for people already familiar with the franchise. What Telltale game in the veins of The Wolf Among Us would you recommend for a total Telltale newbie?

You don't need to know anything about The Walking Dead comic or TV show. There are only about two characters from the comic who appear.

Roto13

Played through the first episode last weekend. Completely blown away by the game's quality and can't wait for Episode 2. I'm also tempted to start reading the Fables series, but probably a bit later.

You don't need to be familiar with any other Walking Dead thing to enjoy the first season of the game. It takes place in the comic universe and not the TV universe, but it doesn't really matter.

The Walking Dead is the only other Telltale series that's quite like The Wolf Among Us. :p So far. The style will probably be used a lot from now on.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Finally had time to sit down and play the first episode and...it was pretty good! I liked it more than the first episode of the walking dead.

Now the wait for episode 2 begins ugh.

GeoGonzo

I'd argue that Telltale's The Walking Dead is more enjoyable if you haven't read the comics or watched the tv show.

fallout

Just a side note, I do fully recommend the comics if you enjoyed the first episode. The comics aren't quite as dark, but I do really enjoy them.

Is it true that you can't turn off the "Whoever will remember this" stuff in Fables?
Yes and I find it infuriating. I really hope they do something about it. I'm being serious when I say my experience is being significantly lessened as a result. I find it immersion breaking, overly hand-holdy and just plain irritating.

If TWD S2 does the same thing I'm not buying it.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
Yes and I find it infuriating. I really hope they do something about it. I'm being serious when I say my experience is being significantly as a result. I find it immersion breaking, overly hand-holdy and just plain irritating.

If TWD S2 does the same thing I'm not buying it.

I 100% agree with you. I hated it in the Wolf Among Us as you couldn't turn it off.
They had the option in Walking Dead Season 1 so I have no idea why they removed the option, ridiculous and idiotic.

I 100% agree with you. I hated it in the Wolf Among Us as you couldn't turn it off.
They had the option in Walking Dead Season 1 so I have no idea why they removed the option, ridiculous and idiotic.

They have it in season 2, thank god.

Okay, now they need to hurry up and release episode 2 of this already. This wait is going to kill me.

NeoGiff

Very disappointed with the output from Telltale. This goes completely against what episodic gaming should be.

*lack of output

True, hopefully they step up their game once episode 2 is actually released. It'd be nice to have a new episode of TWAU and TWD every second month. But, then again, Telltale...

Symphonic

Grabbed it in the sale and played through the first episode in one go. Reaaaaallllyyy fucking good, started off way stronger than Walking Dead. All of the menus are a lot better designed as well, and the animation fluidity and bugs seem a lot better for me at least.

The ending though...damn. One of those times where a video game made me legitimately upset.

I played through the first episode and I'm kind of pissed at the preview. It showed way too fucking much. I feel like I've been spoiled.

I played through the first episode and I'm kind of pissed at the preview. It showed way too fucking much. I feel like I've been spoiled.

I never watch those things. As soon as I finish the episode, I turn the speakers off and go to the loo or get a drink or something and come back when the 'Here's what people chose' screen is up.

Replicant

I hope they finish this series ASAP and then put them as compilation disc for PS4.....as quickly as possible before I'm dead of old age.

cripterion

I just finished episode 1. Took 2 hours.

Holy shit. This is so much better than I expected. Really really dark and gritty.

I am so excited to get back into this universe. Probably going to check out the comics now and I'm really not a comic guy.

That's me right there. I was wtf am I buying this when it seemed like a tslking pig in one of the game's screenshot. Went into this not knowing anything at all and oh boy wasn't disappointed. Great stuff! But please TT don't go for this art style in game of thrones, even though I like it for this game.

Cheddahz

Banned
Once again, I thought the second episode came out....but if you haven't played the first episode, I strongly recommend that you pick it up, since it's free!

sakipon

Finished the free episode on Xbox 360. Previously I played The Walking Dead's first episode which was also given out for free, and I have to say I like this universe and story a lot more. I could see myself paying for the rest at some point. Toad had some hilarious dialogue. However the slowdowns were disappointing... I'd be more eager to support the game without such issues.

Also, I keep seeing Wolverine in Bigby, kind of difficult to view him as a unique character (I had never heard of the Fables comics before this game.) I hope I'll get over this in later episodes.

Roto13

Finished the free episode on Xbox 360. Previously I played The Walking Dead's first episode which was also given out for free, and I have to say I like this universe and story a lot more. I could see myself paying for the rest at some point. Toad had some hilarious dialogue. However the slowdowns were disappointing... I'd be more eager to support the game without such issues.

Also, I keep seeing Wolverine in Bigby, kind of difficult to view him as a unique character (I had never heard of the Fables comics before this game.) I hope I'll get over this in later episodes.

I've read 50 issues of the Fables comic and Bigby is still basically Werewolverine. :p It gets "worse" rather than better. (Not that it actually bothers me.)

Harlock

Playing the PC version, 1080p. Look amazing. People should give more atention to this game. The art, history and music are very atmospheric. Feels really like an adventure game from the 90s, with the technology from now, and made in the 80s.

Thanks. I bit the bullet after playing through the first episode. It's a nice change of pace from the Walking Dead, hopefully the rest of the episodes are as good.

I had also picked up the first volume of Fables from a comixology sale, the tone is much more serious in the game than what I had read in the book. Curious to see how they write around the ending of this episode to line back up with the book.
Magic solves everything.

Man I know there's probably other things going on and/or the issue is entirely unrelated, but perception is reality and not being able to follow up with Episode 2 of this in the midst of them announcing all their other projects is kind of crappy.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Downloaded Episode 1 because it was free.

This is my first Telltale game.

I really enjoyed it. Maybe a little better than what I expected and longer. I've always been a fan of adventure games and this goes back to the old Lucasfilm point and click style and combines it with Mass Effect dialogue options and Dragon's Lair action sequences. I don't know nothing about the comic books this is based on but I really enjoyed the game and story. Looking forward to where this goes next.

malfcn

Picking up the season pass since it is cheap. Did so last year with The Walking Dead, and haven't completed that yet. This game runs like ass on my 360, but it's entertaining!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Picking up the season pass since it is cheap. Did so last year with The Walking Dead, and haven't completed that yet. This game runs like ass on my 360, but it's entertaining!
How much is the season pass normally?

Also, I noticed the game didn't run good at certain parts. Fortunately, it wasn't so much the gameplay but long loading times and sometimes, the scenes would freeze in place for a short time afterwards. Also, some frame rate issues but again, usually after it loaded a scene. It's pretty noticeable but I didn't have any issues during the actual gameplay that I can remember.

malfcn

How much is the season pass normally?

Also, I noticed the game didn't run good at certain parts. Fortunately, it wasn't so much the gameplay but long loading times and sometimes, the scenes would freeze in place for a short time afterwards. Also, some frame rate issues but again, usually after it loaded a scene. It's pretty noticeable but I didn't have any issues during the actual gameplay that I can remember.

Gameplay was fine. The audio got desynced a few times because of freezing. And the loads were annoying. But not enough to really detracted from the story.

Regularly $15-20? And the first ep is supposed to be $5. I think the total series would be $20-25.

Top Bottom