• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

FluxWaveZ

Just finished the episode's prologue, but I already encountered something that bothered me.

During the Woodsman's investigation, I was being relatively nice to him, offered him a cigarette and a swig of his drink, yet I decide to tighten his restraints for the final piece of dialogue and Crane gets on my case about how all of this violence won't get us anywhere and that I'm "beating him up."

The heck?
And now revived Snow's getting on my case about beating him up, too. Screw this, I'm restarting the episode, because it obviously didn't see the same thing I did.

'Course, I restarted the episode, overwriting my save file because, like an idiot, I expected things to work, but every decision was retained except for the person Bigby detained in episode 1 for some reason. Fantastic.

Milennia

Espisode 1 spoiler question as i cant play the second until tommorow due to being tired :p
does the decision in the beggining of episode 1 that includes beauty and the beast amd lying etc. matter? Just looking for a yes/no

Milennia

Thanks.
Damn.. That whole situation was fucking hard to decipher, i must have reset it like 8 times before i settled on,

no, i refused to lie and told beast the truth[, it kinda seemed like the game wanted you to lie to beast and promise beauty though, so i hope this doesn't bite me in the ass

Voror

Finished Episode 2. Not as good as 1, but a lot of what we had here was more set-up. But I had some serious issues with stuttering and delays that I never had with the first episode.

Sort of curious about choosing not to tell Beast now given how the confrontation went, though once we were in the room it defused itself pretty quickly.

But good god was that investigation annoying in how easy it was and Beauty's comments weren't helping matters in that scene. The writing there felt pretty weak to a degree.

It's not hard to connect the dots on some matters I think and I think Bluebeard is trying to frame up Crane to take control of things, though I don't know if that necessarily means he's behind everything.

I also think my promise about getting Holly her sister's body is going to be a problem. I'm half thinking that Crane dumped it down the witching well to hide the evidence.

There's also the matter of the Tweedles' boss The Crooked Man. Unless I'm forgetting another Fable, I'm going to guess this might be our red headed cabbie who showed up so often who some have noted might perhaps be the Boy Who Cried Wolf.

One thing I thought was interesting was that half the stuff I saw in the preview from Episode 1 never happened so I'm wondering if that's going to come up even further on or what. I know some of the events in that preview for 3 have me a bit nervous like
Georgie's comment to me about being a bastard with what looked like Nerissa in the background. I hope she's all right. Maybe I should have given her all the money instead of just the $150.

By the way, I'm missing one entry in Episode 2's Book of Fables entry. It's the first one of the bunch. Does that one come from
actually beating up the prisoner?

This all makes me want to get back to buying more of the Deluxe editions. I've got the first two, but haven't gotten around to the others.

Well that was fucking awesome! The more TellTale games I play, the more I love em. Simply brilliant writing and story!

I laughed when Beast walked in on Beauty and the Wolf in that prostitute hotel, that encounter was hilarious!

And I kinda knew that old bastard was behind the killing, just had a hunch!

Damn episodic gaming sucks ass though! Now we have to wait another 4 months for the next episode :(

Voror

I'm curious if four months will be the wait for the next episode. Was TWD on a similar time frame with the same amount of time between each episode or was it random amounts of time?

kurahador

I'm curious if four months will be the wait for the next episode. Was TWD on a similar time frame with the same amount of time between each episode or was it random amounts of time?

TWD S1 was definitely shorter IIRC, especially the final 2 eps.

Quasar

That certainly was really enjoyable, with a couple of 'oh shit' moments for me. Still such a long wait for less than two hours of game. Again I wonder whether Telltale working on one game at a time would be more timely chapters.

Phatmac

I was strangely disappointed by the second episode of the wolf among us. It just seemed like standard detective game play that didn’t really stand out like the first episode. The final reveal twist is also pretty predictable if you’ve ever experienced a detective story in any form of media. It doesn’t help that it’s been around 4 months since the first episode came out. I think the long delay certainly dwindled my excitement after the first episode. I’m bummed for sure.

LiK

Ep 2 done. It was good but way more linear than previous episode. I actually tried replaying a section a few times and the way they branched out wasn't quite as good as the first ep. i did like the interactions a lot tho. Definitely not as good as Ep 1 but i still enjoyed the story.

RetroMG

By the way, I'm missing one entry in Episode 2's Book of Fables entry. It's the first one of the bunch. Does that one come from
actually beating up the prisoner?

Yes.
You get one for beating on the Prisoner, and one for not hitting him at all.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Good episode, but extremely short like others have said. Like between Episode 1 of The Wolf Among Us and any of The Walking Dead eps, this felt the shortest. Like I think even The Walking Dead: 400 Days took me longer to beat.

Also had the same issue at the end where it didn't show my decisions. Just the final page with the discussion banner. Doesn't appear in the Player Choices area either. Strange...

FluxWaveZ

Finished the episode. It was alright, though the setup for the
Bigby vs. Beast confrontation was SO predictable.

The voice actress for Beauty is the same for TWD's Clementine, right? And Blue Beard is Lee? I'll check right now, but I just realized that they sounded real similar this episode.

Edit: Yeah, Melissa Hutchison voices both of them and same for Dave Fennoy. Neat.

Roto13

Finished the episode. It was alright, though the setup for the
Bigby vs. Beast confrontation was SO predictable.

The voice actress for Beauty is the same for TWD's Clementine, right? And Blue Beard is Lee? I'll check right now, but I just realized that they sounded real similar this episode.

Yeah. And the detective and I think one of the strippers have the same voice actress as Katjaa and Shel. And Jolene and Brie and Dee.

And Beauty/Clementine is also TJ.

ascully

PS3 performance is embarrassing on this episode. I missed a bunch of QTE's when the PS3 was stuttering all over the place. Do they even have QA at Sony for Telltale Titles?

It looks like they changed a lot of from the end trailer of episode 1.

Maybe that is why it took so long?

Yeah, thought it was weird that, after they made a big deal of showing him in the trailer at the end of episode one,
Prince Lawrence didn't show up at all in my playthrough, even though I saved him.

Ultimadrago

grimmiq

I enjoyed episode 2, but I'm holding off on playing it again until we have a release date for episode 3. I played through Episode 1 several times so I could find out every little detail..then forgot those details during the 4 month break.

L00P

Oh shit I forgot the second ep came out today! I was about to sleep, too

I'll play this tomorrow. I need to sleep

Veggy

The episode was kinda short but I enjoyed it, hopefully we don't have to wait as long for the next episode

iiicon

really good episode. I like where this is headed - not just the central mystery, but specifically the failure of the fables authority to protect to interests of the poor, beleaguered fables.
maybe Crane is manipulating his position in some way to create/maintain this imbalance? or maybe he's being manipulated as well?
the mystery is good too, don't get me wrong. it's paced well and they're revealing big pieces to the puzzle at the right time. there's a deep conspiracy at work and i want to see how it comes together, so well done Telltale.

this does such a better job of introducing the world of Fables than the first arc of the comics, which I've always felt was just a series of contrived events to arrive at the 'parlour scene' joke. those little things,
like the trolls living off in their own little ghetto or the suggestion that there's a black market for a necessary service (glamours) that instead go to the privileged,
are a nice great way to show that this is a community struggling to keep itself together. they're getting a second chance at a first impression and hitting it out of the park.

I loved the cameos in this episode.
Jack
! Lee as
Bluebeard
! a hint that
Rose
may be in an upcoming episode! it's fanservice no doubt, but I enjoyed it. the actor for
Jack
was appropriately smug, and I couldn't wait to punch him in the face.

this was easily the worst performing Telltale on the PS3, at least that I've experienced. characters frozen in place, money glued to Bigby's hand for an entire scene, more hitching than usual, choices at the end I couldn't scroll through and can't access in the extras screen. it was a mess.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is the mac version of Ep 2 out? I loaded the game up and it still said Coming Soon.

Symphonic

It won't be. Telltale already said that the time between Ep 1 and Ep 2 was a huge mess-up on there part due to uncontrollable issues and that they should be back on a normal release schedule for the rest of the season, which I would assume is 2 months or so per episode.

Roto13

Jack was completely pointless. It's like they went "Well, we're making a Fables game, I guess we have to put Jack in it."

I've always loved the way they made Jack in the comics, though. So many stories star some random guy named Jack so they made them all the same guy, who is a sleazy troublemaker.

And it's still perfect that Georgie Porgie, pudding and pie, kissed the girls and made them cry, and now he's a goddamn pimp.

I'm tired and it's late so maybe I'm not thinking straight, but wasn't that last picture super awful convenient? It's like, you do all that hard work to outwit someone who just leaves something like that lying around.

Also, I got a results screen. Just beat it a few minutes ago. Maybe the stats don't pop until a certain amount of people finish.

Vico

I already thought the first episode was technically weak. Ran like shit, freezed a lot more than TWD, so the replies about episode 2 kinda scare me.

cripterion

I really enjoyed myself, I prefered ep.1 but quality is still top notch. The graphics are so much better than TWD somehow.

Well, only negative is that it's too short and their release schedule pretty much sucks.

im_dany

Can somebody post an xbox.com link when it goes up?

I don't think there's going to be a single download for all the episodes (as opposed to TWD Season 1) since they started selling Season Passes for this and TWD Season 2.

Is it up for Xbox, though? I'm still waiting :(

EDIT: it looks like I was wrong, I'll try to load the game asap

Top Bottom