• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

hohoXD123

Still got loads of stuttering and freezing in this episode, I've given up hope on TellTale ever fixing this. Really enjoyed it overall,
but seriously what was up with that puzzle and the last investigation? I'm starting to wonder who their target audience is meant to be.

Some of my thoughts on Episode 2 with possible game/comic spoilers.

First off, I feel like the length of the episode was lacking. I think it took me about an hour and a half, and that's just because I had to pause it a few times to put another load of laundry in or to check on my crying daughter. I guess they changed a few things around from the original preview for this episode. I'm still curious if Prince Lawrence will show back up at some point since I saved him. Also, what was up with the investigation of Room 207??? Like the previous poster, it kind of threw me off with how easy it was, and I didn't really enjoy the dialog that Beauty had either. Besides those few gripes, I really did enjoy the episode just not as much as the first.

Did anyone else who arrested Tweedle Dum notice how he and Bluebeard were reacting to each other? It seemed pretty suspicious to me. I know they mentioned that The Crooked Man (which I'm assuming is the Ginger) was their employer, but it made me feel that Bluebeard is in on this conspiracy in at least some way. Speaking of the interrogation, I didn't put a hand on Dum and I still get reamed by Crane and Snow about torturing him. WTF. I wish the voice actor for Bluebeard had changed it up a little more. I kept wondering why Lee was wearing a costume.

Anyone else a little taken aback at how Snow is treating Bigby now? I realize it's much more faithful to the comic relationship, but come on, it seemed a little too much of a tonal shift to me from Episode 1.

I've been playing nice guy/slightly tough Bigby. I didn't smash anything at Georgie's, and when it came to the Beast fight I didn't hit him.

I pocketed Dum's money during the interrogation and gave it all to Nerissa in hopes she would be able to help me more. I guess it didn't really matter though since it seems the ribbons the prostitutes are wearing are magically embued so their "lips are sealed".

I also told Holly I'd let her have Lily's body.

Edit: Does anyone know if the PC version is having the terrible stuttering issues as well? I guess I've been extremely lucky with my TT gaming experience on Steam because I can't remember having any stuttering at all.

I just finished episode 2, and I found it to be pretty disappointing. I don't expect real branching in this game, but there were several scenes that were jarring because of the choices I made, it was clear that it was a follow up to a dialogue choice I didn't make. The whole thing felt rushed and sloppy.

Yeah, just tried to download episode 2 and it's charging me £3.99. Going to have to wait. :(

Yeah, exactly the same thing is happening to me. Unbe-fucking-lievable. To be fair, it could be Microsoft's shitty infrastructure, stranger things have happened, but it's typical we wait four months and they try to charge us for the fucker again.

Yeah, exactly the same thing is happening to me. Unbe-fucking-lievable. To be fair, it could be Microsoft's shitty infrastructure, stranger things have happened, but it's typical we wait four months and they try to charge us for the fucker again.

People have been tweeting Xbox/TellTale like crazy, probably still early in US yet, might hear something from them later today

Toa TAK

Banned
Son of a bitch, I've been looking forward to this for awhile now, and not even the season pass works.

Good thing I'm not alone in this.

FluxWaveZ

Still got loads of stuttering and freezing in this episode, I've given up hope on TellTale ever fixing this. Really enjoyed it overall,
but seriously what was up with that puzzle and the last investigation? I'm starting to wonder who their target audience is meant to be.

And there's the total lack of subtlety in the form of those "X will remember this" or "X noticed that" prompts.

I don't care what reasoning they may have to not allow them to be disabled, but they hurt the game more than they help. It essentially tells me they need to rely on the crutch of making everything extremely simple for the player to understand, treating us like idiots in the process.

AkuMifune

Banned
I just finished episode 2, and I found it to be pretty disappointing. I don't expect real branching in this game, but there were several scenes that were jarring because of the choices I made, it was clear that it was a follow up to a dialogue choice I didn't make. The whole thing felt rushed and sloppy.

I liked this episode, but yeah...a few times people obviously responded to a different dialogue choice (I didn't make), a couple times I chose something and people later acted like I had done the opposite, and choices I made in the last episode weren't represented here. Good story, sloppy release.

And now...we wait.

Edit: Does anyone know if the PC version is having the terrible stuttering issues as well? I guess I've been extremely lucky with my TT gaming experience on Steam because I can't remember having any stuttering at all.

Well, having just completed both Episodes 1 and 2 in a single sitting, I'm glad to say that the PC version is fucking perfect on my ancient ass shitty laptop. (Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz, ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB)

I can't believe how much they've optimized the game engine (assuming they're still using the same one as per the Walking Dead). I could turn every option to High, resolution to 1920x1080p, except for Anti Aliasing off and still maintain 60 FPS most of the time. No stuttering or loading pauses except during the loading screens themselves. The lack of a forced double buffered Vsync (which meant that the frame rate did not plunge straight down to 30 FPS when it fluctuated during certain scenes in the city) meant that the framedrops were less jarring to the responsiveness and the visuals of the game when they happened.

I definitely could NOT do the same for the The Walking Dead (had to shift it down to 900p for 60 FPS and set Shadows to Low for consistency). TWD also had forced double buffered Vsync which you couldn't disable ingame to get better performance when the framerate dipped.

There's only one bug(?) that I experienced though. When I booted up the game for the first time, the performance was atrocious, until I tabbed out, had a look at my GPU clocks and found out that it wasn't upclocking itself to 3D speeds (it usually happens automatically for every other 3D application). So I had to do that manually, and once I did that, performance jumped to what I expected it to be, and then some. My graphics card wasn't properly detecting the game as a 3D application it seems.

As for the game itself. Holy shit, the moment you boot up the game it oozes so much class. I was just swooning the whole time, they've somehow captured the perfect look and feel of the characters as I've read them in the comics. The art style is gorgeous and having most of the game set during the night really helps hide the blemishes that would often present itself for the same rendering method in TWD.

The actual gameplay is standard Telltale fare, but you already know that going into it from TWD series. I found Episode 1 superior to Episode 2, Episode 2 lacked that branching path and felt a lot more straightforward. Also what was up with
Snow getting up in your ass even though I spared Dee the beating he deserved in the lockup? That was not how I handled it, lady!

When is Episode 3 coming out already? I almost regret ploughing through the series now, a part of me feels that I should've waited for the whole thing to come out before playing it, just like I did with TWD + 400 Days epilogue.

Not bad, but was expecting more after that long a gap. I think they cut a lot of stuff from the episode, because a lot of things from the preview just didn't appear, or appeared in the preview again.

Also, Beauty's voice actress, is she Melissa Hutchison? I swear I could hear Clementine while talking to her.

EDIT: Yup, my ears did not deceive me. She's Toad Jr., too, which I had been wondering.

And Crane is Engineer Adams from Mass Effect. I fucking knew that voice sounded familiar too.

Hey is Bluebeard the same voice actor as Lee from TWD?

Yes.

I think the story is progressing quite nicely but, as far as gameplay goes, they'd be better off making the "challenging" stuff actually feel like somewhat of a challenge, or keeping it out of the game altogether.

I'm so tempted to wait for the whole thing to be out to even start playing. All this hassle isn't worth the 2 hours of enjoyable gameplay every 4 months.

Lot of set up, still love the mood of this game but can't help feeling I would have enjoyed this episode a lot more if it hadn't taken 4 fucking months to come out.

I did end up buying the entire comic series while waiting and it was absolutely worth it, the books are fantastic.

Contacted support and got a service number. Should hear within "four days". I was told this is "a large volume issue currently", so hopefully we see it resolved sooner rather than later.

Pretty steady quality in Episode 2 for sure!

Gotta say though...
that last "puzzle" while piecing together the fact that the killer wanted to recreate the mundy fable made me feel like an idiot. Not because it was hard, but because that was supposed to not be obvious after the first inclination of it?

I completed that puzzle so quickly I accidentally completed the episode before I could listen to the tape.

hohoXD123

I completed that puzzle so quickly I accidentally completed the episode before I could listen to the tape.

Same, now I want to replay that bit to see what it said.

Does anyone know if the PC version is having the terrible stuttering issues as well? I guess I've been extremely lucky with my TT gaming experience on Steam because I can't remember having any stuttering at all.

I had loads of stuttering on the PC version.

Tokubetsu

I can't stop
giving all my money to these girls. I pocketed the tweedle money and gave it all to Narissa. I hope it doesn't get her killed.

Forsythia

Telltale can go fuck themselves. How hard is it to give the content people have already paid for? If the discount of the season pass wasn't enough, season pass owners get screwed once more. Last season pass I'll buy from them.

Roto13

Telltale can go fuck themselves. How hard is it to give the content people have already paid for? If the discount of the season pass wasn't enough, season pass owners get screwed once more. Last season pass I'll buy from them.

Any particular reason you're assuming this is Telltale's doing and not Microsoft's?

And why are you apparently assuming that it's not going to be fixed?

Jesus, some of you people really need to learn how to deal with minor inconveniences in your lives without having a tantrum about it.

I had loads of stuttering on the PC version.

I didn't get any in the PC version, except during the episode recap and next episode preview.

hwalker84

Any particular reason you're assuming this is Telltale's doing and not Microsoft's?

Jesus, some of you people really need to learn how to deal with minor inconveniences in your lives without having a tantrum about it.

1. Because it's Telltale
  2. Because it's Telltale

nynt9

And there's the total lack of subtlety in the form of those "X will remember this" or "X noticed that" prompts.

I don't care what reasoning they may have to not allow them to be disabled, but they hurt the game more than they help. It essentially tells me they need to rely on the crutch of making everything extremely simple for the player to understand, treating us like idiots in the process.

This is my biggest gripe with Telltale games. They break my immersion and kind of push me to "game" the decisions instead of acting naturally.

Play devil's advocate all you like, I'll continue to be pissed about not receiving what I've paid for. Sorry.

As you should. You paid full price (or sale price) for a product and they are completely and utterly failing in delivering that product in a timely manner.

It's disgusting. They should be issuing refunds all round considering just how much of a mess this game has been so far.

Via Twitter:
"Note: Microsoft is investigating a current issue regarding season passes for TWAU on 360 and will supply progress updates via @XboxSupport.

— Telltale Games (@telltalegames) "

I love playing the "Who should we be mad at!?" game. Definitely enjoy playing it on the platform that already gets the game a day later than the rest.

hohoXD123

It's fairy-tale music.
Damn, expectations crushed.

I didn't get any in the PC version, except during the episode recap and next episode preview.

Yeah, at those points it was particularly bad for me.

As you should. You paid full price (or sale price) for a product and they are completely and utterly failing in delivering that product in a timely manner.

It's disgusting. They should be issuing refunds all round considering just how much of a mess this game has been so far.

Who exactly are "they"?

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
When I contact MS they gave me some Xbox credit so that I could get the second episode because the season pass wasn't working.
Still shitty that it doesn't work.

Who exactly are "they"?

Telltale. I don't care if the issue right now is with MS. This line of thinking is the culmination of the way TT have handled TWAU from the very beginning and it's been been nothing short of insulting.

Months of silence with regards to the release date of the second episode, putting the first episode up for free within two months of launch as well as discounting the season pass...which was a nice slap in the face of people who bought both on day one.

And now we're dealing with a potentially four day delay? Fuck that, TT should be issuing refunds.

Top Bottom