• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

anddo0

Oh okay, that's not short though is it? 2 hours an episode seems fine to me

I'm fine with their current length.

I loved The Walking Dead. But the episodes seemed to drag. The pacing here is perfect, it actually feels much shorter than 2 hours, because everything just keeps flowing.

Adry9

So I just finished episode two:

First of all, I'm in love with the characters, the dialogue, the world, and the artistic design. But there were a lot of things that dissapointed me.
One of them is that Snow is not really dead, what a way to make a cheap "OMG" ending for the episode 1. Then, the lenght of the episode, 4 months for an episode that is shorter than the first one. Really? Also I hate how I didn't use violence during the interrogation but Snow is, for some reason, mad at me and the game doesn't let me explain in any way that I didn't hit the guy. Lots of conversations feel glitchy with long pauses in them and weird reactions, makes them a bit awkward. And last, that horrible "puzzle" at the ending aimed to give the player gratificacion for something a 5 year old could solve.

I just hope Telltale gets better at those things before their Game of Thrones game comes out.

Tacitus_

I think you're taking the "congrats on your detective skills" the wrong way. Even Bigby was confused about why she said that.

I'm fine with their current length.

I loved The Walking Dead. But the episodes seemed to drag. The pacing here is perfect, it actually feels much shorter than 2 hours, because everything just keeps flowing.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I started my game at about 8:10, and the credits rolled at 9:30. I'm still surprised it was so short relatively speaking, and this is coming from someone who takes their time playing these games.

It looked like, when you asked the mirror to see Tweedledum, that he was
sitting in the same car that you and Crane(?) were riding in earlier in the episode
. And in the Episode 3 preview, we see
Crane(?) sitting in the car again, seemingly throwing a Glamour onto the seat next to him
. Introducing
Glamours
means that
anyone can be anyone at this point and that it is definitely not Crane in the photo with Lily

Also, this game runs terribly on 360. Four month wait for an episode just a bit over an hour long with constant pauses and stuttering each time the scene shifts? Guh.

misho8723

Banned

First of all, I'm in love with the characters, the dialogue, the world, and the artistic design. But there were a lot of things that dissapointed me.
One of them is that Snow is not really dead, what a way to make a cheap "OMG" ending for the episode 1. Then, the lenght of the episode, 4 months for an episode that is shorter than the first one. Really? Also I hate how I didn't use violence during the interrogation but Snow is, for some reason, mad at me and the game doesn't let me explain in any way that I didn't hit the guy. Lots of conversations feel glitchy with long pauses in them and weird reactions, makes them a bit awkward. And last, that horrible "puzzle" at the ending aimed to give the player gratificacion for something a 5 year old could solve.

I just hope Telltale gets better at those things before their Game of Thrones game comes out.

Hmmm - when i played, i swear that Bigby told Snow that he wasn't the one who beat - in my case Tweedle Dee.. i must play again to see if i remember correctly

FluxWaveZ

Hmmm - when i played, i swear that Bigby told Snow that he wasn't the one who beat - in my case Tweedle Dee.. i must play again to see if i remember correctly

When I first played through that section
the only thing I did was tighten the Woodsman's shackles, which lead to him replying sarcastically, but suddenly I've "beaten him up" and Crane gets angry at Bigby. Then Snow is also angry because I beat him up.

It was stupid, which caused me to restart that section. Second time through,
I did everything I did but loosened the shackles instead, which led to Bluebeard getting angry at Bigby and which gave me the option to tell Snow that he was the one who beat up the Woodsman.

Nether!

Playing this game reminded me why I loved the comics initially.
I still read them in trades but things have changed so much it's nice to go back the the more simple "secret refugees in the mundy world."

Really enjoyed EP2, eventhough I figured out the twist by the time first scene was over (on the main credit roll thing). Gotta play around again and select the different outcomes like always and then wait for another 2 no 3 no 6 months for EP3

Yeah. Even Bigbys
full transformation into The Big Bad Wolf didn't happen in the second episode either
...pretty lame.
I'm gonna assume that
it was never going to happen in episode 2 and it will probably never happen until at least episode 4. The scene in the previews will be something that will be hyped up. I'm gonna guess we will see an even longer version of that scene for the previews in episode 3 to hype episode 4 when it actually happens.
At least that's what I think.

Montresor

Thanks. So now I'm wondering if this is going to be an ongoing issue that will affect all remaining episodes through the season pass?

If resolving this issue requires a title update, does that mean the lion's share of the blame lies solely with Telltale? They fucked up the coding of their game and have to update it.

If resolving this issue requires a title update, does that mean the lion's share of the blame lies solely with Telltale? They fucked up the coding of their game and have to update it.

Sounds like it's a TT issue to me, they wouldn't need a title update if it was an issue on MS' side.

This has pretty much cemented that I'll never, ever buy season passes for me. Not only that, I'll pass on TT games until the entire season is out and it's on sale for dirt cheap...

Montresor

Sounds like it's a TT issue to me, they wouldn't need a title update if it was an issue on MS' side.

This has pretty much cemented that I'll never, ever buy season passes for me. Not only that, I'll pass on TT games until the entire season is out and it's on sale for dirt cheap...

I wish I could do this. But I love these types of games so much.

Before Walking Dead Season 2 came out, I lost my original Season 1 save file and had nothing to export into the new game. So I played through all six season 1 episodes back-to-back. It felt so good to have no wait whatsoever! I finished episode 1, and jump right into the next sequence, without having to wait 2-4 months for new content.

I do this with television shows all the time. I have no problem waiting until a season, or even a series (!!!) is complete before watching everything. But with Telltale games I can't help myself.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can only laugh at the performance during the recap and next episode segment. Come on. Same with the hangups during fight sequences, I guess TT just aren't going to fix whatever is up with the engine for consoles.

Still, I enjoyed the episode even if it was much shorter compared to the first one.
I'm curious to see how they handle Crane. I'm sure he isn't the killer, but think he does have an actual fixation with snow white. Still, with glamour's they could theoretically make this get super complex(and kinda dumb if everything is always a red herring).

Also I really love the music/art direction in general. The style mixed in with the lighting works really well.

I wish I could do this. But I love these types of games so much.

Before Walking Dead Season 2 came out, I lost my original Season 1 save file and had nothing to export into the new game. So I played through all six season 1 episodes back-to-back. It felt so good to have no wait whatsoever! I finished episode 1, and jump right into the next sequence, without having to wait 2-4 months for new content.

I do this with television shows all the time. I have no problem waiting until a season, or even a series (!!!) is complete before watching everything. But with Telltale games I can't help myself.

I used to feel the same way. It's took a lot of resolve not to buy TWD S2 upon release, but with how they've treated TWAU season pass holders (who bought it on day one), I'm pretty much done with TT games on release or buying them at full price.

Kinyou

Can someone sum up the decisions screen from the end of the episode? I'm having some weird bug where it doesn't show me those. (and it's locked in the extras menu)

Enjoyed the episode, but it didn't blow me away as much as the first episode. That it was noticeably shorter didn't help.

I can only laugh at the performance during the recap and next episode segment. Come on. Same with the hangups during fight sequences, I guess TT just aren't going to fix whatever is up with the engine for consoles..
Walking Dead Season 2 has a lot of performance improvements. It's a shame that they didn't put those into Wolf among us as well.

I remember that too. Snow still was sort of pissed off though. But quite frankly, having a more adversarial Snow White who is a little more terse with Bigby was kind of nice in how it reminded me more of how she is portrayed in the comic.

One of them is that Snow is not really dead, what a way to make a cheap "OMG" ending for the episode 1.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is that Fables/The Wolf Among Us isn't The Walking Dead. In that, yes, people can die but its not the same kind of world like TWD where death is death. The comics have some final deaths too but the magical and fantastical nature of things means death often isn't simply a cut and dry affair sometimes, especially when Fables are involved. I kind of like that aspect of the game, in that it keeps it a little different than TWD. You've got more rules in the universe at play.

Skeyser

Loved it, though one thing that annoys me quite a bit is how a lot of the characters are voiced by the same people from The Walking Dead game.

When I hear Beast or Bluebeard talk I can't help but picture them as Kenny and Lee.

Clementine is a little better at changing her voice, but it's still pretty obvious she's doing beauty and TJs voices.

eXistor

Telltale is just hilariously incompetent as a developer, it's such a shame they keep getting awesome ip's. I actually like The Wolf Among Us, but goddamn it's a sloppy game technically. Episode 2 was okay; not nearly as good as 1 though. The twist in the beginning was really cheap and it was too short, especially after waiting 4 months for it. Also, it might just be me, but I feel TT games are getting less and less interactive by the episode, they might as well just start doing TV shows at this point.

Roto13

Oh okay, that's not short though is it? 2 hours an episode seems fine to me

You know, when you remember that it's only $5 per episode, max, 2 hours isn't really a bad length. There are games and DLC that last about that long for thrice the price.

kazebyaka

Banned
Am I the only one who annoyed at animation incompetence of the developers? It's a story and cut-scene heavy game with hand-made animations that look barely passable. Hell, games like Naruto series boast quality of hand-made animation that is unmatched in video game world, and it's a c-tier developer who makes mostly mediocre games. TT should be ashamed of themselves.

Kinyou

You know, when you remember that it's only $5 per episode, max, 2 hours isn't really a bad length. There are games and DLC that last about that long for thrice the price.
Yep, so far I always felt like I got my money worth with telltale games.

Am I the only one who annoyed at animation incompetence of the developers? It's a story and cut-scene heavy game with hand-made animations that look barely passable. Hell, games like Naruto series boast quality of hand-made animation that is unmatched in video game world, and it's a c-tier developer who makes mostly mediocre games. TT should be ashamed of themselves.

i'm more annoyed with the super awkward cuts between scenes. it ruins the presentation.

I am absolutely loving this universe, story and characters. While I hear some of the complains many of you have about technical issues and lack of interaction, I'm so enthralled by the world I dont mind. I also like that TT is going all out mature with this. Makes it even more effective given the characters are based on children's stories. I always felt that their TWD stuff was pretty safe when it came to adult content. While I bought TWD S2 season pass I'm much more into The Wolf Among Us right now. Put more devs on it TT!

leakey

Just finished ep2. I feel like if the game continues at the current pace I will stay happy. I'll be looking forward to spending another 5 bucks for a few hours when episode 3 drops :)

Milennia

Finished with episode 2 now.
Loved it and how they kept the story rolling in just the right way for me.
The technical issues are a bit annoying, but i looked passed them.

Love this game aesthetic and music.
Ending spoilers:
I'm guessing crane didn't actually do it and that the actual killer was using glamor, also guessing its not entirely a snow white obsession as he killed faith as well.. Unless he did that to get to her in some way

AppleMIX

Finished with episode 2 now.
Loved it and how they kept the story rolling in just the right way for me.
The technical issues are a bit annoying, but i looked passed them.

Love this game aesthetic and music.
I'm guessing crane didn't actually do it and that the actual killer was glamored

Kind of a given...

I doubt Crane would take photos of himself and then just leave them at a orgy of incriminating evidence.

Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Stoze

I look at it more as paying $20-25 for a 12-14 hour campaign, which is incredibly good for that value.

Them dropping sales bombs a month after the first episode was a real kick in the balls though. And the wait between episodes doesn't bother me as much as them not fixing bugs and not keeping in touch with their customers does.

spekkeh

Banned
Great episode again, love the atmosphere and art direction, I think I like this series even more than TWD. The stuttering is embarrasing yes, especially that it's alway in cutscenes apparently. At some point you start to wonder why they don't just prerender them, even though it would increase the filesize a bit.

I do feel like TellTale is starting to struggle with player agency. A detective game really needs at least a little branching narrative, and if they want their game template to remain relevant then they need to get on this quickly.

Top Bottom