• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Kinyou

btw. is it just me, or did the preview pic for Episode 3 change?

I could swear that previously it was showing
some woman sneaking around Woodland (maybe the detective?)
and now it shows
Bigby running after a car.

I really hope this doesn't mean that they removed that part of the plot.

Toa TAK

Banned

and now it shows

You're not crazy, it did change.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Hey guys, I had a question about the season pass for Wolf Among Us. I bought the season pass on PS3 and it included all the episodes (1 - 5). My brother bought the season pass on XBL when it was on sale. He went to play it and found out that the first episode doesn't seem to be a part of the season pass. Is that correct or is that a bug?

Why would the season pass on PS3 include all the episodes but the one on XBL only include 2 - 5? Thanks.

Hey guys, I had a question about the season pass for Wolf Among Us. I bought the season pass on PS3 and it included all the episodes (1 - 5). My brother bought the season pass on XBL when it was on sale. He went to play it and found out that the first episode doesn't seem to be a part of the season pass. Is that correct or is that a bug?

Why would the season pass on PS3 include all the episodes but the one on XBL only include 2 - 5? Thanks.

I believe that the first episode was made free, so he just has to search for it on the marketplace and download it.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-wolf-among-us-episode-1-is-free-on-xbox-live-268006.phtml

Kinyou

It has something to do with xbl guidelines, basically are the episodes 2-5 treated as dlc.

Not sure if the first episode is still free, I think that was a holiday special. They adjusted the price of the season pass though, so in total should your brother be paying just as much as you paid on the ps3

Fuz

Banned

and now it shows

Well...
https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/58263/did-they-remake-the-whole-episode/p1
and
https://www.telltalegames.com/commu.../the-killer-investigation-hard-evidence-found

hohoXD123

and now it shows

Are those meant to be previews for the next episode or just a general look at what is to come?

Roto13

People need to stop acting like they made some big sneaky discovery by looking at stuff that happens in the game and guessing what it means. If they didn't want you to see that thing, they wouldn't have put it in there. There's no possible way they accidentally
showed everyone the killer
and then had to remake the whole game to fix it.

People need to stop acting like they made some big sneaky discovery by looking at stuff that happens in the game and guessing what it means. If they didn't want you to see that thing, they wouldn't have put it in there. There's no possible way they accidentally
showed everyone the killer
and then had to remake the whole game to fix it.
They radically remade Episode 2 based on what the original preview for it was. I wouldn't be surprised if it was because people had twigged who the killer was. And if so, it really shows the flaws of doing an episodic plot over many, many months with an invested audience.

Roto13

They radically remade Episode 2 based on what the original preview for it was. I wouldn't be surprised if it was because people had twigged who the killer was.

Again, that's stupid. For the exact reason I said. They wouldn't have put that in there if they didn't want people to see it and speculate about it.

Sober

They radically remade Episode 2 based on what the original preview for it was. I wouldn't be surprised if it was because people had twigged who the killer was. And if so, it really shows the flaws of doing an episodic plot over many, many months with an invested audience.
If you are going to write a whodunit, you have to kinda hint or reveal the killer soon after, if not in the first act, then by the second, even if you are going to do a few fakeouts until they finally get enough proof to catch the guy. It's basically how you write these. I don't see anything wrong if someone spotted it and made the connection, because it's an obvious set-up for the last act.

If people at TT figured they had to switch it up last minute because someone figured out how whodunits worked and worked backwards from there, then that would actually be the disappointing part.

Moral of the story: don't do a whodunit in an episodic games format, you'll regret it.

Kinyou

Redoing the whole thing because somebody might have figured it out would be pretty crazy. I can't imagine that they'd throw it out the window

Are those meant to be previews for the next episode or just a general look at what is to come?
In walking dead they were usually a preview for that specific episode. But they're also usually ambiguous enough to not really spoil much.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
I believe that the first episode was made free, so he just has to search for it on the marketplace and download it.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-wolf-among-us-episode-1-is-free-on-xbox-live-268006.phtml

I don't think the first ep is free anymore because he said he checked and it said it was going to be $4.99. I guess he missed the free offer or thought he didn't need to get it individually since he was getting the season pass.

It has something to do with xbl guidelines, basically are the episodes 2-5 treated as dlc.

Not sure if the first episode is still free, I think that was a holiday special. They adjusted the price of the season pass though, so in total should your brother be paying just as much as you paid on the ps3

If it's adjusted for only having four episodes then I guess it's okay but it still seems confusing where their season passes operate differently depending on which platform you get it on. Still worth it in my opinion though. I actually liked Wolf's first episode better than 2.1 of the Walking Dead. Now I have to catch up with episode 2.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Fuz

Banned
Redoing the whole thing because somebody might have figured it out would be pretty crazy. I can't imagine that they'd throw it out the window

Oh, I do agree with you.
It would be stupid to rewrite all because of that reason? Yes.
But it does makes sense because this chapter 2 feels rushed out and incoherent. It will also explain the insane delay.

Linius

Bought the seasonpass for this months ago but I finally played both eps this week. Really enjoyed the both of them I must say. That ending from the first episode really got me. The Walking Dead was actually my first adventure game ever and now this one as a second and it feels completely different. I really like the detective stuff, it's so opposite of the survival theme from TWD. And I love the characters and the world. I think I should pick up reading the comics of this if I have some time.

Well now I still have the first ep of TWD season two to catch up on :D

spekkeh

Banned
Oh, I do agree with you.
But it does makes sense because this chapter 2 feels rushed out and incoherent. It will also explain the insane delay.

I believe they said it was something outside of their control and that it wouldn't happen again. While technically that could be 'they found out outside of what we wanted', personally I'm thinking it's some kind of rights management / lawsuit. That the IP owner had to settle something and they got greenlit.

Sloane

Banned
Oh, I do agree with you.
I really hope we get some kind of post mortem for the game although it's highly unlikely -- but yeah, I can't think of many explanations for this weird and incredibly short episode, the seemingly many changes they've made and the delay. Sucks because the world feels potentially more interesting than TWD to me.

I believe they said it was something outside of their control and that it wouldn't happen again. While technically that could be 'they found out outside of what we wanted', personally I'm thinking it's some kind of rights management / lawsuit. That the IP owner had to settle something and they got greenlit.
They've always kept selling the first episode and the full season though, seems unlikely.

Roto13

Playing the PS3 version for the hell of it and yeah, it doesn't run well. A couple of times I've thought my PS3 might have frozen.

JustinBB7

Played ep 1 last night and ep 2 just now. What a fun ass game!

Didn't know anything about Fables at all, and everything is just so cool. Luckily I missed the first long wait, hopefully ep 3 will come sooner.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This game looks spectacular. The art style is fantastic, and the background textures are really high quality, looks just like the comic book. Any time they go into the business office I wish I could just spend all my time walking around in there soaking it in. Bigby's character model is great too. Really good work here.

Pollux

Last night I had a dream. In this dream I saw on GAF somewhere that TWAU Ep. 3 was coming out in March. I hope that it wasn't all just a dream.

JustinBB7

Last night I had a dream. In this dream I saw on GAF somewhere that TWAU Ep. 3 was coming out in March. I hope that it wasn't all just a dream.

Walking Dead Ep 2 will come first, and I'm guessing that will be in March. Maybe late feb but.. March more likely.

Pollux

Walking Dead Ep 2 will come first, and I'm guessing that will be in March. Maybe late feb but.. March more likely.

Figured as much. Guess we won't be getting TWAU until at least early May. Anyone else get the impression that TT just doesn't really care about this game anymore now that they have GOT and Borderlands games coming out? At the moment, I'm not too optimistic about getting a second season.

Hubble

Just a heads up, the season pass is still $14.99 for those who haven't bought ep 2 yet. I'm not sure if it's a limited time or not but it's a decent deal to snap in on.

Figured as much. Guess we won't be getting TWAU until at least early May. Anyone else get the impression that TT just doesn't really care about this game anymore now that they have GOT and Borderlands games coming out? At the moment, I'm not too optimistic about getting a second season.

I wouldn't be as cynical as that, but there's no questioning Fables is the lesser IP out of the four.

Ricker

So is the season pass fixed on the 360...? or should I just go ahead and get it and they will send me a code until they fix it...I see the season Pass for 14.99,so what's wrong with it...?

U2NUMB

So is the season pass fixed on the 360...? or should I just go ahead and get it and they will send me a code until they fix it...I see the season Pass for 14.99,so what's wrong with it...?

I do not believe its fixed yet.. sounds like it will require a title update. If you buy the season pass they will shoot you a code for episode 2 I think within a day. The problem with the pass as it does not show up as free when trying to download episode 2.

Edit: Although reading their forums sounds like people are waiting up to 5 days to get the code... so right now I might just wait to buy it till they patch it if I were you.

Grisby

I do not believe its fixed yet.. sounds like it will require a title update. If you buy the season pass they will shoot you a code for episode 2 I think within a day. The problem with the pass as it does not show up as free when trying to download episode 2.

Edit: Although reading their forums sounds like people are waiting up to 5 days to get the code... so right now I might just wait to buy it till they patch it if I were you.
So this would explain why I got a code for episode 2 from them. Bought the season pass over the holidays and haven't even started episode 1 yet.

Kind of a messed up.

Five days for a code? Seems Telltale should do the right thing and refund season pass holders.

Absolutely disgusting how they've handled all aspects of TWAU.

Ricker

Ok thanks...I will wait it out then.

Got the season pass through the recent deal on PSN and played through the two episodes available during the past couple of days. Technical gaffes aside, I think this could be the best thing Telltale has put their name to, and I have no prior knowledge of the source material, so I'm not a Fable fan or anything. The usual crappy wooden animation notwithstanding, the game and it's art direction look gorgeous, the serial killer plot hooked me in immediately, the cast is a colourful and interesting bunch of oddballs, and the wonderful ambient score just drips ambiance. The "choices" don't feel as heavy-handed and telegraphed as they did in The Walking Dead either, so I'm too fussed this time by the fact that whatever course of action you take, it probably won't effect the outcome all that much.

It's just a shame that it all performs like shit. Stuttering, stuttering everywhere. A frame rate that collapses just by walking around in that large cavernous library area, even though there's no action occurring other than Bigby just literally walking around! And having pauses in action and major juddering during a QTE is just a cardinal sin. Missing a prompt not because of a slow reaction but because the game shat itself is a pisstake. I think Telltale need to take a step back and reconsider this episodic structure whilst developing on a multitude of different platforms, especially now that they're working on more than one game at a time. It's unacceptable to put a game out in this state. They're obviously biting off more than they can chew in their current state.

As an aside, Bibgy's appearance is straight-up Mel Gibson circa Lethal Weapon. Looks just like him. It's a shame Mad Mel is too old now; he'd have been perfect for the role in a live-action adaptation.

Top Bottom