• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Ultimadrago

But nor does the game do a good job of establishing
the Crooked Man as someone who helps. In Beauty's case, obviously she took out a loan and he's playing the role of loanshark. But in most of his operations, he appears to straight up muscle in.

But Stump,
he gave Tiny Tim a job!
Can't be all bad!

GavinBT

Neo Member
Snow was a straight up moron in this episode. Stress or no stress, you can't simultaneously hold that the system is broken badly AND punish people for operating outside the system. Fables don't have glamours either because they can't afford them or because the cost unacceptably compromises their quality of life. It's like condemning someone who is starving to death for stealing bread. It's not righteous, it's asinine. The extent of the conspiracy and involvement of the Crooked Man in Episode 4 demonstrates that Fabletown's governance is poor and not responsive to citizens. Focusing on building a better world means coming up with affirmative solutions that enrich the lives of the weak, not doling out arbitrary punishment.
I think Snow knows that Crane was terrible and din't run things right, but I think Snow knows the glamours have to be expensive so they can work correctly such as in episode 2 we saw that the glamour was failing because it wasn't done by the 13th floor witches.
Also I suppose not holding to the rules they had set out is what started the Crooked man from becoming so powerful in the first place, when someone went missing it just "slipped through the cracks".

But nor does the game do a good job of establishing
the Crooked Man as someone who helps. In Beauty's case, obviously she took out a loan and he's playing the role of loanshark. But in most of his operations, he appears to straight up muscle in.

I don't think he is supposed to be a good guy though, he enslaves fables kills any of them who try to get out.
Through episodes 4 most people seem to want him dead, although he has got people what they need it still isn't being done right; If you do get something from him there is no getting out of it you are going to be paying him or doing something for him forever.

Zukuu

Banned
I don't think he is supposed to be a good guy though, he enslaves fables kills any of them who try to get out.
Through episodes 4 most people seem to want him dead, although he has got people what they need it still isn't being done right; If you do get something from him there is no getting out of it you are going to be paying him or doing something for him forever.

He is NEEDED, that is the point the game tries to tell the player. His means aren't always just, but ultimately, he helps the community in the end in one way or another. While he might be a ruffian loan shark, he DOES give people money when they need it, where as they would just be turned down if they went to the official institute. While he maintains poor laborers, the cheap prices that results due to that help to make Glamours and magic affordable for the non-wealthy Fables. Like someone pointed out, Timmy is a good example of his role in the Fables society. He is not "evil" - he just isn't a philanthropist. He's a business man foremost. Kinda like the witch in episode 3 with the magic tree, which created Black Market Glamour - while illegal - the only way for some Fables to be able to afford one. You can burn it and accomplish nothing, or make her help the community in an official manner.

GavinBT

Neo Member
He is NEEDED, that is the point the game tries to tell the player. His means aren't always just, but ultimately, he helps the community in the end in one way or another. While he might be a ruffian loan shark, he DOES give people money when they need it, where as they would just be turned down if they went to the official institute. While he maintains poor laborers, the cheap prices that results due to that help to make Glamours and magic affordable for the non-wealthy Fables. Like someone pointed out, Timmy is a good example of his role in the Fables society. He is not "evil" - he just isn't a philanthropist. He's a business man foremost. Kinda like the witch in episode 3 with the magic tree, which created Black Market Glamour - while illegal - the only way for some Fables to be able to afford one. You can burn it and accomplish nothing, or make her help the community in an official manner.

Yeah that is what I was saying, he is needed because the real government is awful at almost everything, but the crooked man is hardly good because, while he gets what people need it's done in bad ways.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think Snow knows that Crane was terrible and din't run things right, but I think Snow knows the glamours have to be expensive so they can work correctly such as in episode 2 we saw that the glamour was failing because it wasn't done by the 13th floor witches.
Also I suppose not holding to the rules they had set out is what started the Crooked man from becoming so powerful in the first place, when someone went missing it just "slipped through the cracks".

Sure, but think outside Fables. Taxing the very poorest doesn't work and it isn't just. If someone has nothing, you can't take anything from them. A society where someone needs a minimum income not to be imprisoned is not a just society. How to solve the problem is kind of irrelevant; either give glamours for free, subsidize them, or turn a blind eye to the grey market.

RE: Main Bad Guy's Motivations:
I'm not suggesting he's supposed to be good, I'm saying that when a video game sets you up for a bad guy who claims "he's just filling a need" and is supposed to make you feel ambiguous about your actions as a good guy--this is a VERY frequent trope--then they need to do a better job of making the bad guy not a cackling evil dude. In this case, the bad guy appears to be a cackling evil dude. The game tries to set up how Fabletown's failures of governance have led to the emergence of a grey market, which it does a good job of, but then to have a cackling evil dude say "I can't help it, they came to me" when most of what he does is, as you note, enslave people... I'm not exactly doubting my moral footing when confronting him hahaha

In the real word we see situations like Hamas' power in the Gaza region. Government has failed, people need stuff, Hamas provides social services. They're also a terrorist organization. But the reason why it's so complex and difficult to condemn the people on the ground for accepting help from a terrorist organization, and so giving them power, is because there's no alternative for them. Whereas here,
Crooked Man seems more like a mafioso demanding protection while providing no services at all, then a complex and contradictory figure who does evil and good. For example, if the butcher shop established that the Butcher was turning a blind eye but being paid rent, then it'd be a more ambiguous case. But the script makes it clear he was literally told either they'd kill him and seize his property, or they'd let him live and seize his property. That's not really an interesting dilemma.

I think it's trying to establish that the Crooked Man has
gained his power and influence because essentially Fabletown's structures are broken and have been for a long time. King Cole is affable but useless (although that hasn't stopped him from being consecutively re-elected since the exodus from their lands), Crane is a sleaze and a crook. The town is heavily dependent upon financing from Bluebeard.

But the point is that he shouldn't be needed if things were running as they should be, if the people in charge were acting able and willing to act in the interests all of their citizenry and not just the few who can buy influence. The Crooked Man isn't just a "business man," he's an extortionist, he feeds off of people's desperation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think it's trying to establish that the Crooked Man has
gained his power and influence because essentially Fabletown's structures are broken and have been for a long time. King Cole is affable but useless (although that hasn't stopped him from being consecutively re-elected since the exodus from their lands), Crane is a sleaze and a crook. The town is heavily dependent upon financing from Bluebeard.

But the point is that he shouldn't be needed if things were running as they should be, if the people in charge were acting able and willing to act in the interests all of their citizenry and not just the few who can buy influence. The Crooked Man isn't just a "business man," he's an extortionist, he feeds off of people's desperation.

Yeah I edited a little bit to reflect my issues with the flatness of
Crooked Man's
portrayal.

GavinBT

Neo Member
Sure, but think outside Fables. Taxing the very poorest doesn't work and it isn't just. If someone has nothing, you can't take anything from them. A society where someone needs a minimum income not to be imprisoned is not a just society. How to solve the problem is kind of irrelevant; either give glamours for free, subsidize them, or turn a blind eye to the grey market.

The problem is none of those three ideas are ideal, if they were made free could they afford to get the ingredients needed, would the witches work for no money?
Subsidizing it, while preferable to making it free would cause the same problems.
the last one is probably worse than the other two. first the reason we are told the glamours are so expensive is because they work properly and so if you rely on a black market one which is prone to failure it just won't work because if a mundie saw it all of fabletown could be at risk.
Secondly, we just saw that these glamours were involved in the killings relying on them isn't an option either.
So really the best option that Snow sees is that The Farm has to be used for everyone who can't afford one, who knows maybe at some point things will get better but at that moment it's not hard to see why Snow would say it need to be enforced.

The core of Fabletown's problems are probably in their lack of any real taxation or sources of government financing as far as I can tell, beyond donations from unsavory but wealthy Fables. (There are other sources revealed in the comics at their disposal later.) While needing to maintain certain operations and services for the citizens.

I don't entirely recall how the accommodation arrangements are sorted - what exactly Fabletown pays for and what exactly the Fables need to do to make ends meet themselves.

But the human looking Fables at least are free to leave Fabletown. They can go out into the world and get jobs and live like Mundies. It's kind of difficult to sympathize
for Beauty and Beast getting into their situation because they want to continue to live like royalty and be FABULOUS.

The government also really can't exert any control over the Thirteenth Floor witches and sorcerers to control their pricing or increase their output. They hold real power, they maintain their anonymity from the Mundies, they hide The Farm from prying eyes. In the comics
an election promise is made of free glamours for all non-human Fables that doesn't pan out, because the Thirteenth Floor witches are neither willing nor able to fulfill such a request.

Fabletown is also ultimately democratic, its the citizenry that have elected King Cole, and it was King Cole that enacted the policy that all Fables that couldn't pass for human needed to live at the Farm. And its the citizenry that has kept Cole (and by corollary Crane) in power.

GavinBT

Neo Member
RE: Main Bad Guy's Motivations:
I'm not suggesting he's supposed to be good, I'm saying that when a video game sets you up for a bad guy who claims "he's just filling a need" and is supposed to make you feel ambiguous about your actions as a good guy--this is a VERY frequent trope--then they need to do a better job of making the bad guy not a cackling evil dude. In this case, the bad guy appears to be a cackling evil dude. The game tries to set up how Fabletown's failures of governance have led to the emergence of a grey market, which it does a good job of, but then to have a cackling evil dude say "I can't help it, they came to me" when most of what he does is, as you note, enslave people... I'm not exactly doubting my moral footing when confronting him hahaha

In the real word we see situations like Hamas' power in the Gaza region. Government has failed, people need stuff, Hamas provides social services. They're also a terrorist organization. But the reason why it's so complex and difficult to condemn the people on the ground for accepting help from a terrorist organization, and so giving them power, is because there's no alternative for them. Whereas here,
Crooked Man seems more like a mafioso demanding protection while providing no services at all, then a complex and contradictory figure who does evil and good. For example, if the butcher shop established that the Butcher was turning a blind eye but being paid rent, then it'd be a more ambiguous case. But the script makes it clear he was literally told either they'd kill him and seize his property, or they'd let him live and seize his property. That's not really an interesting dilemma.

I suppose he is sort of a necessary evil because of the failures of the government, but if Snow starts fixing it hen their is nothing necessary about him anymore he's just a cackling evil dude lol

DukeBobby

Just finished episode 4. A little short, but a great set up for the finale. My Bigby was a good guy for once in this episode.

How could so many people
send Colin and Toad to the farm
?. You heartless bastards.

My order so far: 1 > 3 > 4 > 2

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fabletown is also ultimately democratic, its the citizenry that have elected King Cole, and it was King Cole that enacted the policy that all Fables that couldn't pass for human needed to live at the Farm. And its the citizenry that has kept Cole (and by corollary Crane) in power.

Freedom from arbitrary detention is a right that exists higher than any that can be submitted to democratic whim; this is why all democracies balance rule of law with democracy and the vast majority have some sort of constitutional or supermajoritarian protection of fundamental rights.

I think that may hold under ordinary circumstances, but obviously Fabletown isn't ordinary. They're really just a collection of disparate exiles, many with unusual abilities or appearances, coming from a myriad of lands with their own laws and cultures. They number among them murderers, thieves, monsters. I'm pretty sure the only real formalized document that binds them together is the Fabletown Compact.

They take as paramount to their collective survival that they are not exposed, both to the Mundies and
to The Adversary, in case he turns his attention to the Mundy world.

Rapunzel, for instance, isn't allowed
to be in the same place for more than 25 minutes lest anyone notice her abnormal hair growth. (I don't really know if that's considered a spoiler.)
This may seem a cruel and/or unusual restriction on her activities, but in the context of Fabletown and her unique situation it's entirely necessary for their anonymity and continued existence.

One could argue its the moral responsibility of the collective to ensure that freedom, to assist those in need. And in this Fabletown is failing. The Thirteenth Floor witches clearly feel no moral imperative to aid the non-human Fables for free, while the Business Office neither has the ability to compel them to do so, nor to engage their services to provide free glamours.

In failing to do so though, do Mr Toad or Colin consequently have the right to roam free in their non-human forms if it risks the safety of the rest of Fabletown (as well as their own safety)?

Gaaraz

I can't imagine many people wanting that to happen more than my girlfriend, and yet she still made the same decision I did.

Maybe it was partly for the valid reasons shinra mentioned above too, but for me personally I value friendship and general decency above the rules, even if they are there for the greater good.

Violet_0

Banned

he threatens, enslaves and kills people for his operation. That's lawful evil in my books

plenilune

So, I have a question. Having just finished Episode 1, I already saw
2 characters die
. If their
demise
can't be avoided, does it matter how I act towards them? Why should I care what they think of me? It makes me want to start over and choose the other options. For example,
I gave all my money to Faith. If I didn't, I could probably afford to buy the cigarette pack and the drink at the bar, which might have helped me save other lives.

After all, my goal as sheriff is to keep people safe and minimize deaths. But the game doesn't have a system for quickly going back to these branching choices, and I don't want to play the whole thing 10 times to see how things would turn out differently.

Zukuu

Banned
So, I have a question. Having just finished Episode 1, I already saw
2 characters die
. If their
demise
can't be avoided, does it matter how I act towards them? Why should I care what they think of me? It makes me want to start over and choose the other options. For example,
I gave all my money to Faith. If I didn't, I could probably afford to buy the cigarette pack and the drink at the bar, which might have helped me save other lives.

After all, my goal as sheriff is to keep people safe and minimize deaths. But the game doesn't have a system for quickly going back to these branching choices, and I don't want to play the whole thing 10 times to see how things would turn out differently.

There aren't much (if any) meaningful choices overall that really do impact something for the rest of the game. Some are even just in cosmetic. It's about telling a story of Big By - your Big By - just not really "choose your own adventure" kind of story. Maybe we'll get a resolution in Episode 5 that reflect upon our previous choices.

plenilune

There aren't much (if any) meaningful choices overall that really do impact something for the rest of the game. Some are even just in cosmetic. It's about telling a story of Big By - your Big By - just not really "choose your own adventure" kind of story. Maybe we'll get a resolution in Episode 5 that reflect upon our previous choices.

Okay, I just finished episode 2 intro
(surprise, Snow is alive) so I guess my attitude towards her actually matters later on
. Still, if someone died on me I'd feel like I failed as Bigby the sheriff, and compel me to replay the episode for a better outcome, like I just did to
save Lawrence
. But I guess I'm doing it wrong, as the game would rather have me live with my haphazard decisions.

NeoGiff

One touch I loved was the reference to [comic spoilers]
Crane being sent off to Paris, which I believe is where Bigby eventually smashes his head in?

One touch I loved was the reference to [comic spoilers]
Crane being sent off to Paris, which I believe is where Bigby eventually smashes his head in?

You know I had to re-read deluxe edition
3, I knew Cindy was spying on him in Paris but until reading it again I never picked up on Bigby raising the headless horseman statue being next to the panel of a pumpkin being smashed under the car.

NeoGiff

You know I had to re-read deluxe edition
3, I knew Cindy was spying on him in Paris but until reading it again I never picked up on Bigby raising the headless horseman statue being next to the panel of a pumpkin being smashed under the car.

I get you. I'm pretty sure I missed it the first time around, too, despite the symbolism being laid on super-thick!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Got a season pass and played 2 - 4 in one sitting. Looking forward to episode 5, whenever that is.

I finished the episode 4 today - haven't heard of or seen Fables before this game. It seems like an outrageous concept - fairytales for mature audiences.

The following are my thoughts on the game.

The Wolf Among Us is engaging, but it feels like a step back from the Walking Dead's formula for success; perhaps partly because it's based on established characters, and partly because it's a prequel. In the first episode, it feels like a good length, with lots going on. The second episode quickly establishes that anything goes in the Fables setting, and the third and fourth are progressively shorter, more railroaded, and less interactive.

All of this makes me feel like episode 5 is going to be an hour long confrontation in the red room and then a "puzzle" segment where you interact with everything until Tim opens the door and lets you out and the game promptly ends with a "continue Bigby's adventures and buy the comics" fade out.

So far, I feel like the solution to Bigby's problem is some form of massacre, to make sure people follow through with his orders. A good example would be that stuck-up pig Colin, who's probably still living with Bigby in the comics. What a freeloader.

I guess to sum it up, I'm eagerly awaiting episode 5, but won't bother with season 2.

Got a season pass and played 2 - 4 in one sitting. Looking forward to episode 5, whenever that is.

Summer, 2014.
dontbelievetheirlies.jpg

Roflobear

Bought this game a couple of days ago and just got caught up. It's so good! Hope it's done well enough for a season two. I might start reading the comics to get my fix while we wait for episode 5

Bought this game a couple of days ago and just got caught up. It's so good! Hope it's done well enough for a season two. I might start reading the comics to get my fix while we wait for episode 5

The books are worth it, keep in mind though that the main series is well over 100 issues atm. You can also get the deluxe editions which have 8 books atm with the ninth coming out soon, keep in mind the deluxe editions only go up to issue 75. They can be kind of pricey, typically going around $20 per book on amazon but they look extremely nice and you won't be embarrassed to put em on your bookshelf. I've shelved out over $100 for the first six of em.

I can't vouch if the series is good past issue 75 though cause that's where Willingham originally wanted the series to end. There's a few spinoff series of other characters as well like Cinderella and Jack.

Roflobear

The books are worth it, keep in mind though that the main series is well over 100 issues atm. You can also get the deluxe editions which have 8 books atm with the ninth coming out soon, keep in mind the deluxe editions only go up to issue 75. They can be kind of pricey, typically going around $20 per book on amazon but they look extremely nice and you won't be embarrassed to put em on your bookshelf. I've shelved out over $100 for the first six of em.

I can't vouch if the series is good past issue 75 though cause that's where Willingham originally wanted the series to end. There's a few spinoff series of other characters as well like Cinderella and Jack.

Thanks for the insight! I'll probably buy the first paperback volume and if it's good, I'll get the second one and then I guess the deluxe editions

Card Boy

Banned
End up to 108 in Fables and decided it was time to give the game a go. Did all the eps in 2 sittings. Only disappointments is the way Bigby looks where in goes Wolf mode, he looks too much like a werewolf.

Here is how he looks in full wolf mode in the comics.

culture-feature_fable.widea.jpg

Here is his half wolf form.

fables2.jpg

VS this shit

maxresdefault.jpg

and

wolf-among-us-540x304.jpg

The one in the game looks bad. Also Jack Horner and Beast look and sound terrible in the game, beast looks like a wimp and Jack is too bulky but otherwise an amazing game. Reading the comics helps because NEVER trust Jack, the guy is a snake and always treat Flycatcher with respect.

I haven't played episode 4 yet and I don't know why.

It's the strangest thing, I seem to have completely lost all interest in the game. I no longer care how the story ends, I don't care what becomes of any of the characters either.

What makes it really strange is that I was pretty hyped after episode 3 and couldn't wait to see how it all eventually together and ended.

End up to 108 in Fables and decided it was time to give the game a go. Did all the eps in 2 sittings. Only disappointments is the way Bigby looks where in goes Wolf mode, he looks too much like a werewolf.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/imgs/media.images/12337/culture-feature_fable.widea.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://www.theouthousers.com/images/stories4/CharacterSpotlight/Bigby_Wolf/fables2.jpg[/IMG

VS this shit

[IMG]http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/1nJt5brLj0A/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG

and

[IMG]http://images.zeit.de/digital/games/2013-10/wolf-among-us/wolf-among-us-540x304.jpg[/IMG

The one in the game looks bad. Also Jack Horner and Beast look and sound terrible in the game, beast looks like a wimp and Jack is too bulky but otherwise an amazing game. Reading the comics helps because NEVER trust Jack, the guy is a snake and always treat Flycatcher with respect.[/QUOTE]

Huh. I somehow assumed that Wolf Among Us was aping the comic's appearance a great deal. The game definitely has worse designs, in that case. What a bummer.

(p.s. Thanks for censoring the swear in one of them, don't know what I'd do if I was exposed to that sort of thing.)

Ya, Bigby's wolf form in the comics is waaayyyyyy better. Although all of Mark Buckingham's designs for the characters are pretty awesome in the comics. I actually dislike reading issues that aren't penciled by him.

Also bums me out there's no Boy Blue in the game :/

He's arguably one of the best characters in the whole Fables series.

Sooooo I started reading the comics. They are alright, only the first arc was great and everything else 35 issues in is getting pretty blah-worthy. I hope we get another season of this game and another and another so I can satisfy my itch.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/imgs/media.images/12337/culture-feature_fable.widea.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://www.theouthousers.com/images/stories4/CharacterSpotlight/Bigby_Wolf/fables2.jpg[/IMG

VS this shit

[IMG]http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/1nJt5brLj0A/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG

and

[IMG]http://images.zeit.de/digital/games/2013-10/wolf-among-us/wolf-among-us-540x304.jpg[/IMG

The one in the game looks bad. Also Jack Horner and Beast look and sound terrible in the game, beast looks like a wimp and Jack is too bulky but otherwise an amazing game. Reading the comics helps because NEVER trust Jack, the guy is a snake and always treat Flycatcher with respect.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I thought it was pretty obvious that this
[QUOTE][IMG]http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/1nJt5brLj0A/maxresdefault.jpg
was only his half form. So whether you like the design or not, that's not his actual full form.

I started and finished this today. I started playing around... maybe 2-3 o'clock? And just finished episode 4. Unless episode 5 ends up being like 4 hours, which it's doubtful, I'd say this game will clock in at 7 1/2 or 8 hours.

I've heard rumors about a release date for episode 5, but any confirmation? Only found one page that says July 15th for PC.

This has rekindled my interest to reread the Fables comics. I haven't read them for like so many years.

edit: just read in the telltale forums that they've basically announced in twitter that it'll be July. So maybe that website I read wasn't so far off. Don't know if I'd be able to wait for another season before rereading the comic but I can probably hold off until this season is done before going into the comics again. for the sake of not double dipping

Top Bottom