• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Salsa

I take a lot more of the "unpopular" choices in this game than I do in TWD, apparently

and yeah, that toad "choice" was pretty misleading and I got screwed by it

chose to say "it's not gonna be forever you know" cause it seemed like a stalling thing but the game just decided that I had said to make him go to the farm.. and im too lazy to load back

Adry9

Actually I didn't like this episode that much, I felt they took away a lot of the interaction and there really wasn't many meaningful choices. Expected more from this one to be honest.

Calcium

Banned
Man, episode 4 was a big letdown. The only parts that were really interesting were the
doctor patching up Bigby
and the
Jersey Devil fight scene
. Everything else just felt like the game hitting the same old notes they've been harping on since episode 1.

According to the game I'm in the minority on this one, but I took a zero tolerance policy to
Colin and Toad not having glamours
this episode. I'm just sick of hearing about it at this point. Go to the farm, already.

jediyoshi

Man, episode 4 was a big letdown. The only parts that were really interesting were the
doctor patching up Bigby
and the
Jersey Devil fight scene
. Everything else just felt like the game hitting the same old notes they've been harping on since episode 1.

Ironically the doctor scene was one of the less interesting scenes for the same reasons you disliked the rest of it. It consisted almost entirely of continuing to mirror colin's disdain for fable laws and snow's penchant for staying by the books. Colin is again told to get a glamour, but no stakes have been in place as it was since the first episode. The doctor didn't add anything other than sentiments snow already offers bigby the rest of the time. The most progressive part of it was snow's requiting emotions, but that's to be expected being the second to last episode.

Beauty and beast's scene on the other hand added the reality of how they spend their money which had never been alluded to. Nerissa's scene doesn't add anything new, but finally gets across to bigby the rules of how the prostitutes are controlled which somehow never struck him until now. The butcher's scene has been the most tangible example of how reliant the fables are to black market magic and the means it's produced.

Quasar

I enjoyed episode 4. Admittedly a lot of it was putting all the pieces together, but I still rather enjoyed it.

Interestingly, unlike all the other episodes, I was in the minority with every decision tracked. Normally I tend to follow the path of the majority.

GavinBT

Neo Member
At this point, I'm not actually sure why you'd be looking up reviews for this for anything other than unfiltered opinion.

For how short these episodes are, the idea that anything short of complete banter is filler is pretty wild. Imagine if any RPG ever were held to these narrative standards, the writeup would be over before it began.

Unfiltered option?

Anyway I don't agree this episode was filler but it was definitely weaker than the other three.

OK I've played it. I don't know why but I still don't like the universe and lore of this game. I'm not finding the same excitement I had with The Walking Dead.

Gaaraz

Finished episode 3 last night and loved it!

My girlfriend isn't a huge gamer (other than this, Phoenix Wright, and Brothers) but absolutely loves this - is there anything similar we can play together? I'm guessing the Walking Dead games etc are a given, plus she's a huge fan of the Fire and Ice books so we're both really looking forward to the Game of Thrones game too :D

Rokam

My girlfriend isn't a huge gamer (other than this, Phoenix Wright, and Brothers) but absolutely loves this - is there anything similar we can play together? I'm guessing the Walking Dead games etc are a given, plus she's a huge fan of the Fire and Ice books so we're both really looking forward to the Game of Thrones game too :D

Might try to the Point n Click game thread.

Lunzio

How?
I had two bundles of money and I didn't get an option to give it away.

I believe it was
the second time I had the chance to respond to Toad when I was just given the option to give the money. Maybe it depends on what you say to him initially?

EliCash

Not been able to view the player choices at the end of the past two episodes. Also at the end of ep3
I killed Dum
but in ep4
he's alive
. Slightly frustrating because I really wanted that choice to stick. Not sure what became of my other choices.

I also can't view the player choices at the main menu, remains locked. Anyone else had this issue?

Edit: Going by the telltale forums apparently this is an ongoing issue. My choices haven't been recorded, seems I need to delete the episodes and my saves and download them again and restart from episode 1. That is if I want my choices to matter / be recorded and carry over to the next ep. Which I do, because it's the point of the fucking game. I love this damn game but goddamn it Telltale.

I believe it was
the second time I had the chance to respond to Toad when I was just given the option to give the money. Maybe it depends on what you say to him initially?

It might be. I
offered him money in the Lucky Pawn, but didn't have any. When he was in the office, after taking the money from Crane's coat, I was able to give him the cash to buy a glamour. He skipped away happily, and Snow looked worried.

BiggNife

How?
I had two bundles of money and I didn't get an option to give it away.

Did you offer to pay him at the pawn shop first? Because I did that too. You might have to do that before the option shows up. Also I am pretty sure you specifically need Crane's cash, so if the bundles of cash you got were from other places that would explain it.

Side note- there really doesn't seem to be any downside to taking money at any given opportunity and it always seems like a good idea because there's always at least one person per episode who needs money. I feel like there should be more of a risk.

Hellcrow

Did you offer to pay him at the pawn shop first? Because I did that too. You might have to do that before the option shows up. Also I am pretty sure you specifically need Crane's cash, so if the bundles of cash you got were from other places that would explain it.

Side note- there really doesn't seem to be any downside to taking money at any given opportunity and it always seems like a good idea because there's always at least one person per episode who needs money. I feel like there should be more of a risk.

Probably going to be used against you by the Crooked Man during the final episode.
The walking dead ending spoiler:
A bit like how you had to defend every big action at the end of the Walking Dead

Forsythia

That was another fucking great episode. I enjoy this series so much more than The Walking Dead. Bigby is just awesome. Can't wait to play the final episode, I wanna rip Bloody Mary to shreds!

Corpsepyre

Banned
People giving this 6's have lost their minds. Episode was brilliant as usual. The plot and characterization is through the roof, and that ending! Better not be a four month wait for the finale as it'll be one long-ass wait if that happens.

GavinBT

Neo Member
People giving this 6's have lost their minds. Episode was brilliant as usual. The plot and characterization is through the roof, and that ending! Better not be a four month wait for the finale as it'll be one long-ass wait if that happens.

Well I thought it was the weakest of all of them but one thing it did really well was making me want to play episode 5, hopefully that won't be four months from now.

jett

D-Member
Each ep seems to be shorter than the last, I clocked a little bit over an hour. I don't know about some of the choices I made, I may replay it.

Jake

Broken age maybe.

JustinBB7

Does bigby use glamours btw? Or is he special and has a human form while all other fables need to buy expensive glamours? Seems kinda unfair/weird he can just transform while he never had a human form in the stories right..

Does bigby use glamours btw? Or is he special and has a human form while all other fables need to buy expensive glamours? Seems kinda unfair/weird he can just transform while he never had a human form in the stories right..

They explain what's up with that in the comics.

It's not an ability he naturally had, but gained it with the aid of a knife that was supposed to "let men walk as wolves", but also worked the other way around.

phoenixyz

and yeah, that toad "choice" was pretty misleading and I got screwed by it

chose to say "it's not gonna be forever you know" cause it seemed like a stalling thing but the game just decided that I had said to make him go to the farm.. and im too lazy to load back

Same for me. Sometimes the conversation labels are really bad. Although they really improved this in episode 3 already. I might go back and replay the ending sometime
but I don't know if I care enough about Toad

I went to the butcher's shop first so I didn't see him at the pawn shop. Maybe that's it.

Boem

I went to the butcher's shop first so I didn't see him at the pawn shop. Maybe that's it.

I also went to the butcher shop first, didn't see him at the pawn shop, but I gave him the money in Snow's office. To be clear, I used the money I found in Crane's coat in the pawn shop. Not sure why you couldn't do it, maybe you just missed the option?

I left Nerissa's ribbon on, so I don't know if you can. If her head plopped off, I'd be so sad!

I tried to take it off but she flipped out before I could, had to calm her down. No headless mermaids, don't worry. Lol

I also went to the butcher shop first, didn't see him at the pawn shop, but I gave him the money in Snow's office. To be clear, I used the money I found in Crane's coat in the pawn shop. Not sure why you couldn't do it, maybe you just missed the option?

I did the same as you. I'm willing to bet it depends on your first response when you talk to him.

JustinBB7

They explain what's up with that in the comics.

It's not an ability he naturally had, but gained it with the aid of a knife that was supposed to "let men walk as wolves", but also worked the other way around.

Aah ok thanks, I never saw that
knife in the game, how does it work in the comics? Did he have to stab/cut himself with it for him to get that power? Or just have it on him? Since he never has a knife in the game I guess the former

I'm one of the 19% of people
who immediately got down to brass tacks with the Crooked Man.
I think I might have missed a lot of dialogue.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Just picked up the whole season two days ago on steam and I'm so glad I did. Walking dead is one of possibly my top 10 favourite games but I actually think I like the wolf among us more, anyone else feel the same way ?

Anyway i agree that episode 4 was the slowest and weakest but that really was just because it was setting up the stakes for episode 5. Although I really did enjoy the
Fight with the Jersey devil, mainly cause for some reason I loved his design. i thought it looked fucking awesome
and the
conversation with Snow about how she was worried about Bigby
and the kind of
bonding with the woodsman, or should I say 'acceptance' of each other after the jersey devil fight

Also I felt really sorry for
Tiny Tim

bigkrev

Anyone who didn't pick
Smoke
when they met
The Crooked Man at the end of the chapter
clearly played the game wrong

phoenixyz

Walking dead is one of possibly my top 10 favourite games but I actually think I like the wolf among us more, anyone else feel the same way ?
It's hard to say. Walking Dead season 1 was the first of it's kind and therefore something special. While the Wolf Among Us is awesome, it doesn't have this bonus.

lol I chose to
smoke
when I got to the
Crooked Man
. It just seemed like such a Bigby move.

Also, I'm wondering if we'll get to go to
The Farm
in Ep.5 or if they are saving that for the main location for Season 2.
That place seems really interesting to me.

Oh... and I make Bigby act like a complete dick to Blackbeard at any opportunity I can. Don't know why, but it cracks me up.
Loved the final dialogue option with
The Woodsman after the Jersey Devil fight. I chose "Are you going to be ok?" (came close to choosing "See you around.") as he slowly walked down the street. Based on the history those two had it just made it seem like a subtle, endearing moment.

Top Bottom