• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Jomjom

Banned
He's the Big Bad Wolf. If anything it was weird that they made him turn into the hybrid, in the comic he goes full wolf.

Ah I see. I have all the deluxe volumes sitting on my table, but still haven't unwrapped the seal because I wanted to wait until I had finished episode 5.

I wonder if this game has helped the sale of the comic. After playing that first episode I went and bought all 8 volumes out right now.

slightly off-topic but... seeing this and the walking dead going for so little in the steam sales, i'm not really sure i'm ever going to buy another set of telltale episodes until the season is complete. i feel like i paid too much to play them earlier than those who waited.

that's my trick. I always wait until there are 4 episodes (or about to be 4 episodes) before I jump in. Because then when I play it for the first time I can binge on 4 straight episodes and then wait a month or two for the last episode. Which is not as bad as waiting 1-2 months to play 1-2 hour episodes over and over again.

Ah I see. I have all the deluxe volumes sitting on my table, but still haven't unwrapped the seal because I wanted to wait until I had finished episode 5.

I wonder if this game has helped the sale of the comic. After playing that first episode I went and bought all 8 volumes out right now.

There's probably going to be at least one more prequel season, unless the game is released next week I'd tell you it is safe to start reading. The prequels can be just as enjoyable with knowing the material. As to sales of the comic, it probably has.

slightly off-topic but... seeing this and the walking dead going for so little in the steam sales, i'm not really sure i'm ever going to buy another set of telltale episodes until the season is complete. i feel like i paid too much to play them earlier than those who waited.

Yeah learnt that trick a while back. Utter waste of money.

Jomjom

Banned
There's probably going to be at least one more prequel season, unless the game is released next week I'd tell you it is safe to start reading. The prequels can be just as enjoyable with knowing the material. As to sales of the comic, it probably has.

Yeah I know multiple people have told me that it's ok to just start reading, but since I'm so close to the end of season 1 of TWAU I'm being weird and just waiting until that's done to begin. I've waited this long anyway. Definitely won't wait for the end of season 2 before jumping into the comic though, presuming season 2 even ends at the beginning of the comic.

I can tell you right now that the main advantage of having read the comic before playing the game is that I recognize the faces that make a return in the actual comic.

Mr. RHC

I'm not sure if I can agree. I got the Walking Dead season pass after the season had ended and while it was fun to play it in one session, more or less, I think part of the fun of episodic releases is to play it when it is released and then discuss it etc.

phoenixyz

You could say that for every game though. If you wait a few months you'll get it much cheaper, especially on PC

TWAU is even worse because Episode 2 took so long to release that the whole season went on sale before ep 2 released.

Yeah, unlike TWD I only bought it during this steam sale. No waiting for episodes (really takes me out of it, it's too much time), I'll finish it at the same time as everyone else and only paid a third of the price.
Paying full price to play the first few episodes sooner isn't worth it. If they only discounted it after releasing everything it would be different.
Same happened with Bioshock Infinite, season pass at half price before episode 2 of Burial at Sea was released, which was by far the best part of the package.
If I can wait for price drops on full games surely I can do the same for episodic stuff where a heavy discount is bound to happen before it's complete.

Actually I'm currently rereading the comics and I've noticed, while not glaring issues, it kind of goes against what we've seen in the game (comic spoilers)
1. Bigby says he doesn't do much exciting police/detective work but so far with this it has been non-stop battles and awesome shit.
2. Snow is surprised Bigby is a decent detective, considering all they've been through so far. In fact it almost seems like none of the stuff happening now is registered, which makes sense since the comic came before but I would've hoped they had made it less obvious.
3. Snow is considerably much colder to Bigby, and Bigby less obviously friendly with her, than the game shows. In the game Snow and Bigby are considerably attracted to each other and care deeply about each other, while early in the comic they're coworkers and at best business-friendly with each other.

It wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't for the comic writer and Telltale saying it's canon. I know they have one more season to settle some of these issues, but it bothers me a bit.
They shouldn't have tried to do as much as they did with Snow and Bigby if it's only going to contradict the evolution of their relationship in the comic

Card Boy

Banned
Just finished Episode 4. Still loving it, but I think the episode's cliffhanger is not as good as the previous three. I'm getting Vol. 13 and 14 this month, too.

Also Telltale tweeted this:

BrYiHezIUAASKyQ.jpg

Yes! I wonder if he will blow some houses down aswell. Would be cool if season 2 was 'The Beast Among Us'.

Spaghetti

You could say that for every game though. If you wait a few months you'll get it much cheaper, especially on PC
the failure in this logic is that you get a full game experience for a premium price with other titles when you buy up-front on release. with telltale stuff on launch day you get part 1 of 5.

you pay more to wait longer.

I dunno if I want another prequel for Season 2, or maybe some kind of epilogue since Fables is ending its run. Either would be good to me, TWAU is probably my favorite of all of TT's games.

vareon

Yes! I wonder if he will blow some houses down aswell. Would be cool if season 2 was 'The Beast Among Us'.

Comic spoiler:

I wonder if they'll mention his North Wind heritage. Doubt it though, since it's a prequel series.

Jomjom

Banned
I just wish they would release the deluxe books at a faster pace. From what I understand what's in the deluxe volumes is only up to about half of the entire series right now right? I like to have a bunch of issues collected in a graphic novel form rather than buying paperbound single issues.

Does anyone read any of the spinoffs here like Jack of Fables, Fairest, and the Cinderella ones? Do they contribute greatly to the main story or are they pretty much standalone spinoffs?

Seems like there was no prequel stuff planned at the start but the creator figured it could be done now.

The issue isn't that there aren't any sequels. The issue is that some relationships and situations, as of right now, don't seem to make sense in the context of it being canon. If this wasn't entirely canon I'd understand more. On a different note I'm about a third of the way through the comics and I've fallen in love with the world and characters all over again. Such a shame so many great comic book characters haven't made their appearance, but those who plan to read the comics will be in for a treat.

The issue isn't that there aren't any sequels. The issue is that some relationships and situations, as of right now, don't seem to make sense in the context of it being canon. If this wasn't entirely canon I'd understand more. On a different note I'm about a third of the way through the comics and I've fallen in love with the world and characters all over again. Such a shame so many great comic book characters haven't made their appearance, but those who plan to read the comics will be in for a treat.

Problem with prequels! What relationships did you mean in particular?
Snow is certainly warmer to Bigby than she is in Issue 1, but he just has to do something to monumentally piss her off in EP5

phoenixyz

the failure in this logic is that you get a full game experience for a premium price with other titles when you buy up-front on release. with telltale stuff on launch day you get part 1 of 5.

you pay more to wait longer.

Did you just accuse me of a failure in my logic?!
images

No but seriously, I don't see much of a difference, you get to pay more to play it earlier, even if it's not the full game. But that's also the reason why the change of price is not as harsh as in bigger games.

NeoGiff

Actually I'm currently rereading the comics and I've noticed, while not glaring issues, it kind of goes against what we've seen in the game (comic spoilers)
1. Bigby says he doesn't do much exciting police/detective work but so far with this it has been non-stop battles and awesome shit.
2. Snow is surprised Bigby is a decent detective, considering all they've been through so far. In fact it almost seems like none of the stuff happening now is registered, which makes sense since the comic came before but I would've hoped they had made it less obvious.
3. Snow is considerably much colder to Bigby, and Bigby less obviously friendly with her, than the game shows. In the game Snow and Bigby are considerably attracted to each other and care deeply about each other, while early in the comic they're coworkers and at best business-friendly with each other.

It wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't for the comic writer and Telltale saying it's canon. I know they have one more season to settle some of these issues, but it bothers me a bit.
They shouldn't have tried to do as much as they did with Snow and Bigby if it's only going to contradict the evolution of their relationship in the comic

Any other comic readers have any thoughts on the spoilers I mentioned that kind of contradict the game?

Yeah, I agree. I've only read up as far as
Sons of Empire, but everything you've mentioned is pretty much prevalent at the beginning of the comics. The whole Snow situation is just strange...the incredible rapport they're building up during The Wolf Among Us just doesn't make sense within the context of where the comics begin, and how their relationship actually constructs itself there.

As a counterpoint, I did think it was nice how Bloody Mary sent Crane off to Paris, given that
that's where he meets his eventual demise at the hands of Bigby

Problem with prequels! What relationships did you mean in particular?
Snow is certainly warmer to Bigby than she is in Issue 1, but he just has to do something to monumentally piss her off in EP5
pissing her off is one thing but pretending they were never closer than just business associates is another. In here they act like downright they care about each other and on multiple occasions you can say that life would suck with them gone. In issue 1 and for a few more Snow seems to never have thought of Bigby in any romantic fashion ever. So unless she straight up gets a brainwash or gets her feelings for him erased.

Either ways that's only one of multiple issues I have

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The comics are actually really good. The first arc is actually drawn by a different artist so doesn't look that similar to the art style of the games, but after that it shifts to the same artist who's drawing them all the way through to the end. Great artwork, and the game really captures it. The comic's a fantastic read too, especially up to around issue 75 where the main ongoing storyline resolves itself, after that there's a slight drop in quality but it picks up again. Well worth looking into.

Yeah I remember stopping at issue 90 something the first time. But that was years ago and the comic is only in Issue 141 right now. I might catch up in no time since I got to issue 50 something yesterday. I keep hearing it probably doesn't have much left in it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah I remember stopping at issue 90 something the first time. But that was years ago and the comic is only in Issue 141 right now. I might catch up in no time since I got to issue 50 something yesterday. I keep hearing it probably doesn't have much left in it.
They're ending the series at 150.

pissing her off is one thing but pretending they were never closer than just business associates is another. In here they act like downright they care about each other and on multiple occasions you can say that life would suck with them gone. In issue 1 and for a few more Snow seems to never have thought of Bigby in any romantic fashion ever. So unless she straight up gets a brainwash or gets her feelings for him erased.

Hm, again, prequel problems.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member

I suppose if they did the comics again the first ones would be a little different from what actually happened but none of this was planned back then so...
I think you just need to accept :)

Ricker

Waiting on Episode 5 to play 4 and 5 back to back...enjoying the game a lot...after this,I will jump into Walking Dead season 2.

It's also a prequel where you can influence how the two feel about each other to some degree. So it's hard to pin down what "canon" would be when you can have them be nice or cold to each other.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I think this is for the best you need to have an end in sight, It's not like Batman. I wonder if Fairest will continue on?.

Yeah, building to an end point is definitely better. You can tell they're currently in the final stages of the story. Fairest is also ending at the same time.

The series is fantastic, I definitely recommend it. Don't let the amount of issues overwhelm you, it just means there's more for you to enjoy when you really start getting into it!

JustinBB7

Trailer tomorrow, so maybe release next tuesday already then :eek:

Telltale Games retweeted
11m
Job J Stauffer @jobjstauffer

Having the wind knocked out of me watching and re-watching the trailer for #TheWolfAmongUs Season Finale. I hope you're ready for tomorrow!

How were the last few announced? The Thursday or Friday before the Tuesday release? I don't recall.

From what people who are more familiar with standard Telltale release schedules say, the pattern is:

Image on tuesday >> Trailer on either the thursday that week or next tuesday >> release of episode the tuesday after the previous action.

So if we do get a trailer this thursday there's a chance we'll get it this coming tuesday. Both of the last episodes were apparently released tuesday.

Ponn

Banned
So they aren't alternating TWAU and WDS2 then? Makes some sense I guess because TWAU had that long delay there at the beginning. I imagine they will shoot WDS2 next two out over the summer and then start alternating GoT and Borderlands this fall.

Top Bottom