• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

bfwings55

Even if he smokes with the other options, the [SMOKE] option is still way cooler because all of his enemies are in the same fucking room and you just don't say anything. Lol

jasonng

So uh, can anyone explain this? Spoilers for episode 3 and 4:

I killed one of the Tweedles at the end of episode 3. No fucks, it was well deserved. So how did both of them appear at the end of episode 4? Did it not load my file or am I missing something?

I killed one of the Tweedles at the end of episode 3. No fucks, it was well deserved. So how did both of them appear at the end of episode 4? Did it not load my file or am I missing something?

I feel like this game doesn't care when people die. The Woodsman got an axe in the head and just got up and walked away. Jersey was basically murdered in Chapter 4 (also got an axe to the head) and also appeared in that final room. Bigby was shot multiple times with a shotgun, had his arm broken and was fixed with a couple bandages.

Zukuu

Banned
I feel like this game doesn't care when people die. The Woodsman got an axe in the head and just got up and walked away. Jersey was basically murdered in Chapter 4 (also got an axe to the head) and also appeared in that final room. Bigby was shot multiple times with a shotgun, had his arm broken and was fixed with a couple bandages.

Fables are a lot more resistant and nigh unkillable unless they are torn to pieces (e.g. decapitated). Everyone listed should be well and alive, except if you
decided to kill the Tweedle
, so that might be indeed an oversight.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

I
chose to kill him too and I am pretty sure that he didn't show up at the end
. Maybe it's a bug

Boem

I also killed one of the Tweedles, and only one of them was in the room at the end. Might be a problem with your save game - be sure that you've selected the right save file in the game menu before starting an episode. Or maybe it just bugged out - Telltale's games do that sometimes.

Fables getting killed and surviving is straight out of the comics though. Basically, fables feed of the 'belief' people have in them. So more famous Fables (such as Bigby and Snow) are able to endure a lot more than those from stories that are pretty much forgotten in this day and age. You can kill a Fable though, but the more famous of them just need to go through a lot more before finally dying.

GavinBT

Neo Member

Except for a Fable they should still be alive, an axe to the head isn't enough.
Tearing out a throat is but it sounds more like a save issue to me.

EliCash

Same thing happened to me. Did you rewind any chapter at any point and use a different save slot?

jasonng

Fables are a lot more resistant and nigh unkillable unless they are torn to pieces (e.g. decapitated). Everyone listed should be well and alive, except if you
decided to kill the Tweedle
, so that might be indeed an oversight.

Right, what Zukuu said. The difference is that I chose to kill Tweedle and I figured since it was an option, it would be permanent especially given the way how Bigsby kills him. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't though. I know I'm not the only one who decided to kill so I'm hoping someone else would shine some light on this.

Same thing happened to me. Did you rewind any chapter at any point and use a different save slot?

I have an old file from where I replayed the first chapter. I only had one file with chapter 3 completed (which was what I last played) before I started Chapter 4.

Like others above, I killed a Tweedle and only one showed up at the end. Seems like something with your save file...

Applebite

I feel like the game is a liiiittle too eager to take the controls away from you. Like
when you were in the knock-off glamour lab and Bigby saw that coat - was that a cutscene for everyone, or did I just miss it initially?
Anyway, that's just one example. Liking the story anyway.

XaosWolf

Anyone who didn't pick
Smoke
when they met
The Crooked Man at the end of the chapter
clearly played the game wrong

I actually came in here to say this. It really brought it full circle back to Episode 1.

Super satisfying. =D
AND I KICKED THE DOOR IN

Still loving that "(?) Silence is a valid option."

Musolf815

Finished episode 3 last night and loved it!

My girlfriend isn't a huge gamer (other than this, Phoenix Wright, and Brothers) but absolutely loves this - is there anything similar we can play together? I'm guessing the Walking Dead games etc are a given, plus she's a huge fan of the Fire and Ice books so we're both really looking forward to the Game of Thrones game too :D

If Vita TV ever gets released (or she wants to play on a handheld Vita), I recommend Dangan Ronpa, I've heard it's really similar to Phoenix Wright. Also 999 and Virtue's Last Reward for DS for the first and Vita/3DS for the second. Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls are a simplified version of a point and click, more focusing on being a "movie" than gameplay, but there's still a lot of choices. Very hit and miss for people, I personally liked them.

I enjoyed episode 4. Admittedly a lot of it was putting all the pieces together, but I still rather enjoyed it.

Interestingly, unlike all the other episodes, I was in the minority with every decision tracked. Normally I tend to follow the path of the majority.

Hey me too! I thought it was strange.

rawktapus

I enjoyed episode 4. Admittedly a lot of it was putting all the pieces together, but I still rather enjoyed it.

Interestingly, unlike all the other episodes, I was in the minority with every decision tracked. Normally I tend to follow the path of the majority.
Yeah, same here. I was especially surprised that the majority seemed okay with
booting Colin and Toad to the farm, I mean, they can be dicks, but, come on!

Applebite

Yeah, same here. I was especially surprised that the majority seemed okay with
booting Colin and Toad to the farm, I mean, they can be dicks, but, come on!
The way I rationalized NOT kicking Toad to the farm was that he was right when he said I caused a lot of damage at his place. I'm sure they'll make people feel bad for giving him Crane's money next episode though, haha.

rawktapus

The way I rationalized NOT kicking Toad to the farm was that he was right when he said I caused a lot of damage at his place. I'm sure they'll make people feel bad for giving him Crane's money next episode though, haha.

That's what I thought, too
I was convinced giving him Crane's cash was gonna pop up as an option, but it never did.

So does anything different happen when you go to the
Pawn Shop first instead of the Butchers?

You run into Jack and interrogate him about the Woodsman's axe that Bloody Mary had with her. You prove that they had it in the shop at one point, and then the Woodsman and the Jersey Devil come into the shop. Jersey tells both the Woodsman and you to fuck off, and a really cool fight sequence happens. Then he spills the beans about the Crooked Man and how to find him.

Gray Matter

Just finished episode 4 and it's the low point in the season for me, the only part I enjoyed was
the fight between bigby and the jersey devil. And the ending, damn good cliffhanger.

You run into Jack and interrogate him about the Woodsman's axe that Bloody Mary had with her. You prove that they had it in the shop at one point, and then the Woodsman and the Jersey Devil come into the shop. Jersey tells both the Woodsman and you to fuck off, and a really cool fight sequence happens. Then he spills the beans about the Crooked Man and how to find him.

Interesting.
Only thing that happened to me different by going to the Pawn Shop last was that Jack was running out as I came in and the Woodsman was arguing with Jersey about his axe and then everything played out like who you said it did.

Gaaraz

We're only half way through episode 4, but is it just me or did Snow
turn into a real bitch at the start? My girlfriend and I are playing it through together and share the controller - it was funny as she went from trying so hard to be nice to Snow in the hope that a romance blossomed, but then did a massive u-turn and had a real go at her, with Colin in full support

Necrovex

turn into a real bitch at the start? My girlfriend and I are playing it through together and share the controller - it was funny as she went from trying so hard to be nice to Snow in the hope that a romance blossomed, but then did a massive u-turn and had a real go at her, with Colin in full support

She is showing more of her true colors now. She's real fiesty in the comics. The pressure is real.

Gaaraz

Oh I see! That'd make sense then... shame as I'm not sure I quite like
the new fiesty Snow... she wasn't particularly feisty either, she was just being a complete bitch and had a real go at Bigby just for trying to fight for his life after being shot at

My old International Track&Field skills kicked in and I had the bar filled literally the whole scene. That was hella stupid.
Going back and randomly, +1 to this. I thought my arm was going to fall off at one point, I thought it was just an interesting way to show
the struggle that Bigby was going through - desperately trying to fight for his life but to no avail

Gaaraz

If Vita TV ever gets released (or she wants to play on a handheld Vita), I recommend Dangan Ronpa, I've heard it's really similar to Phoenix Wright. Also 999 and Virtue's Last Reward for DS for the first and Vita/3DS for the second. Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls are a simplified version of a point and click, more focusing on being a "movie" than gameplay, but there's still a lot of choices. Very hit and miss for people, I personally liked them..
Thank you! Dangan Ronpa looks fantastic and it'll be good to start with the two DS games until I finally get a Vita :) Great shouts on Heavy Rain/Beyond too, will try Heavy Rain first as it's so cheap now. Thank you!

Metal B

Oh yes she did and i was even more surprised, how many people were sending both animals to the farm. I think many wanted Bigby to appeal to Snow White and support the romance, even so she clearly is in misguided here. The whole story is about, how the rules of Fabletown are actually more damaging then helping. It's the number one reason, why the Crooked Man could even become so powerful. Tiny Tim is one of the best examples, who has no chances of survival in this broken community. So sticking to the rules is clearly the worst option Show White could take under the actual circumstances.
So i played Bigby diplomatic. I tried not to be derespectful to Snow White, since she properly only goes to a rough time and needs to blow off some steam. But also would show Toad and Colin, that they got my support. The community already has enough enemies, we don't need even more. I also told the Crooked Man, that we can talk. I want to give him his villain speech to get more information out of him. He looks like a guy, who loves to hear himself talking.

What happens if you go to the
butcher first?
Well, you talk to the butcher, he warns the people in the back and you investigate the abandoned magic-fabric. What happens if you go there last?

Aah ok thanks, I never saw that
knife in the game, how does it work in the comics? Did he have to stab/cut himself with it for him to get that power? Or just have it on him? Since he never has a knife in the game I guess the former
Bigby actually
has natural shapeshifting ability that he never properly developed, as he's one of seven children of the North Wind. His brothers are all capable of shifting at will to numerous forms.
So that may also play a role.

JustinBB7

Bigby actually
has natural shapeshifting ability that he never properly developed, as he's one of seven children of the North Wind. His brothers are all capable of shifting at will to numerous forms.
So that may also play a role.

I should really start reading the comics.

Same thing. I was just wondering
if you got to see what was on the chalkboard.

You see what's on there.

Apparently Bigby smokes whatever option you pick
Actually he does another cool thing if you threaten him
you should also mention when you get there and Mr Toad is trying to pawn Faiths coat

Ricker

Just finished Episode 2 last evening...there was an awesome surprise for me,well done lol
Snow not being dead
...going to catch up with ep.3 and 4 over the weekend probably.

Oh yes she did and i was even more surprised, how many people were sending both animals to the farm. I think many wanted Bigby to appeal to Snow White and support the romance, even so she clearly is in misguided here. The whole story is about, how the rules of Fabletown are actually more damaging then helping. It's the number one reason, why the Crooked Man could even become so powerful. Tiny Tim is one of the best examples, who has no chances of survival in this broken community. So sticking to the rules is clearly the worst option Show White could take under the actual circumstances.
So i played Bigby diplomatic. I tried not to be derespectful to Snow White, since she properly only goes to a rough time and needs to blow off some steam. But also would show Toad and Colin, that they got my support. The community already has enough enemies, we don't need even more. I also told the Crooked Man, that we can talk. I want to give him his villain speech to get more information out of him. He looks like a guy, who loves to hear himself talking.

Well, you talk to the butcher, he warns the people in the back and you investigate the abandoned magic-fabric. What happens if you go there last?

We both played the same way then. Good episode. It was short but I like how it kept my interest throughout. It's mainly there to put pieces together (pun intended....bad mirror joke) but also lead into episode 5.

I'm still no 100% what's going on so far but in episode 5 I think we'll hear what the overall plan is; complete with a villain monologue.

Musolf815

I should really start reading the comics.

I've enjoyed them from what I've read so far, it's cool to see a character in the comics who doesn't have an on page origin, then to get a glimpse of it in TWAU.

Thank you! Dangan Ronpa looks fantastic and it'll be good to start with the two DS games until I finally get a Vita :) Great shouts on Heavy Rain/Beyond too, will try Heavy Rain first as it's so cheap now. Thank you!

You're very welcome! :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Snow was a straight up moron in this episode. Stress or no stress, you can't simultaneously hold that the system is broken badly AND punish people for operating outside the system. Fables don't have glamours either because they can't afford them or because the cost unacceptably compromises their quality of life. It's like condemning someone who is starving to death for stealing bread. It's not righteous, it's asinine. The extent of the conspiracy and involvement of the Crooked Man in Episode 4 demonstrates that Fabletown's governance is poor and not responsive to citizens. Focusing on building a better world means coming up with affirmative solutions that enrich the lives of the weak, not doling out arbitrary punishment.

But nor does the game do a good job of establishing
the Crooked Man as someone who helps. In Beauty's case, obviously she took out a loan and he's playing the role of loanshark. But in most of his operations, he appears to straight up muscle in.

I had difficulty trying to answer when Snow asked me about capturing the bad guy alive. I don't believe in the use of violence, and I'm not going to make a choice that involves intent to kill. Revenge is wrong. But Bigby has, over the course of the game, been put in situations where people have used mortal force against him. The morally right way to end a violent situation is through the option that results in the minimal use of force; if someone is trying to kill you and the only way to prevent them from killing you is to kill them, that is the minimal use of force. I'll take him alive if I can, but if I can't, tough shit.

ArjanN

That is also my approach. If I remember correctly, there was an answer that expressed just that.

Sort of. I feel they tend to make the non-committal choices not as obvious (or not there at all), because otherwise that's what people would go for too often.

Enco

Played exactly the same way.

Snow and Bigby 4 ever <3 <3

mike4001_

How long is Episode 4 ?

Maybe it´s my imagination, but I feel every episode (both TWAU and TWD) being shorter than the last one ...

lol I chose to
smoke
when I got to the
Crooked Man
. It just seemed like such a Bigby move.

Also, I'm wondering if we'll get to go to
The Farm
in Ep.5 or if they are saving that for the main location for Season 2.
That place seems really interesting to me.

No,
bigby isnt allowed to go there

Top Bottom