• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Squishy3

End spoilers
I was hoping when you chose to imprison the Crooked Man he'd be hooked up to the iron wheel. :( I guess even if Nerissa/Faith didn't give her fake eyewitness testimony he still would have been liable for attempting to drag Bigby into the Witching Well.

Enco

Crooked man spoilers -
I imprisoned him. A lifetime of suffering. Not really sure what happens with the well. What does that do
?

hbkdx12

He was talking about
what it would take to set the girls free, to escape from the trap he'd ended up in. To free them from the spell would mean killing Vivian, so instead he just continued on. It was more of a theorhetical excuse than anything. "I had to kill them because I couldn't free them."

Ah gotcha

What I don't get is why
Vivian and Georgie thought the ribbon thing was a good idea in the first place. We had finally found somewhere to be free, so we set up this slavery system that can only be ended by my death. What could go wrong?
I interpreted the situation that everything was fine until Georgie let the crooked man into the operation which is when things became super secretive and the protective ribbons for the girls became a necessity. But i could be wrong

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I was totally fine with killing the Crooked Man and pissing off Snow. The part that made me feel like a total piece of shit was not being able to help TJ stay =(. And even though Snow is the one sending him away he still wanted me to give her a gift.. fuckkkk. So sorry TJ!

Squishy3

Crooked man spoilers -
I imprisoned him. A lifetime of suffering. Not really sure what happens with the well. What does that do
?
End spoilers:
It's a fate worse than death. Don't look up anything about it, as there'll be massive comic book spoilers in anything about it.

hbkdx12

I was totally fine with killing the Crooked Man and pissing off Snow. The part that made me feel like a total piece of shit was not being able to help TJ stay =(. And even though Snow is the one sending him away he still wanted me to give her a gift.. fuckkkk. So sorry TJ!

Yeah that whole scene i thought i'd be able to override snow or send them to auntie greenleaf for a freebie or something. Especially since the whole episode was pretty heavy handed about looking out for the fables.

Only hurt more when i think back to colin coming off the elevator and winking at me when i tell him someone is gonna see him.

Acosta

Great episode. I really enjoyed this season and I look forward to playing season 2 if that happens.

What did you guys do to the Crooked Man? I threw his ass down the Witching Well and I was surprised to see I was in the minority on that choice. What was the popular choice? Imprisonment? Tearing his head off?

"Imprisioned" By the book to the end.

As I understand, the well is a death sentence. So far in the comics I haven't see it explained so I don't know if there is something special about it.

Edit: Heh, I guessed so, thanks Squishy3. I expected it would have some shocking revelation in the comics.

This was the first Episode that actually made me really cautious about my choices. In the other episodes had choices that I felt I could deal with the consequences if I was wrong, but here it really made me panic a bit. Loved it. Ending was surprisingly conclusive, even with all the
Narissa
happenings. Really hope we get another season.

AJ_Wings

Now that's all wrapped up, I genuinely dug my time with Wolf Among Us and even though the ending screamed "There's gonna be a Season 2!" I was still genuinely satisfied with how it all wrapped up.

Also,
I like the implication that the Faith in the episode 1 might be a glamoured Nerissa although why would she be glamoured as her in the first place?

wouwie

I enjoyed the first episode a lot and bought a season pass. But i kind of forgot about it during the long delay between episode 1&2. Now that the complete serie 1 is out, i should give this another go, starting with replaying episode 1.

Now that's all wrapped up, I genuinely dug my time with Wolf Among Us and even though the ending screamed "There's gonna be a Season 2!" I was still genuinely satisfied with how it all wrapped up.

Also,
I like the implication that the Faith in the episode 1 might be a glamoured Nerissa although why would she be glamoured as her in the first place?

All the more reason for a Season 2!
Maybe she thought she'd be targeted, and disguised herself as Faith to avoid Crooked Man/Georgie?
Honestly your guess is as good as mine.

Voror

Imprisoned him. Satisfied with him being stuck like that. No power. No money. No power over everything. Really considered the Well of course, but I know exactly what happens with that thing. Fate worse than death sure, but that changes.

That twist though is a bit confusing. Was the story all true, but Faith switched with Nerissa and saved herself? Or the other way around? I went after her.

I hope we get some kind of season two. I also hope the loading times get way better, but I don't know the chances of that. I'm still convinced there were rewrites of some kind given both the titles and the trophy names not seeming to match up as it went on.

Imprisoned him. Satisfied with him being stuck like that. No power. No money. No power over everything. Really considered the Well of course, but I know exactly what happens with that thing. Fate worse than death sure, but that changes.

That twist though is a bit confusing. Was the story all true, but Faith switched with Nerissa and saved herself? Or the other way around? I went after her.

I hope we get some kind of season two. I also hope the loading times get way better, but I don't know the chances of that. I'm still convinced there were rewrites of some kind given both the titles and the trophy names not seeming to match up as it went on.

Rumor was the the red headed cab driver did it all along, but Steam Community solved it right away and had to rewrite Ep 2, hence the long wait
. Whether it is true or not is anyone's guess.

Sendou

Disappointing episode. Although
Finally seeing the true form of big bad wolf
was cool. Can't help but think that the series as a whole is inferior to The Walking Dead. There was nothing surprising about how the whole episode went down except for
the final twist which apparently implicated that indeed the "Faith" you were talking with in the beginning was just a glamoured Nerissa?

When it comes to
Crooked Man I decided to throw him in the well. Didn't want to undermine Snow's power right from the beginning and it was more discreet than ripping his throat open in front of those people. Didn't imprison because there was not enough information to be sure he would stay there and wouldn't influence people from inside.

Egg0

Banned
Anyone playing on 360? I'm having trouble booting the game up. After the "Press Start" screen, it says it's loading and connecting, but then it goes to black screen. It justs stays there, but the 360 isn't locked, I can dashboard out of it. Weird thing was, I booted it up this morning and it worked fine.

Anyone had this happen?

I ripped Crooked Man's head right off after we found him guilty and he tried to drag me into the well. I read the comic books so

COMIC SPOILERS
COMIC SPOILERS
COMIC SPOILERS

I wasn't gonna give him a chance for a better life in Fly's kingdom.
COMIC SPOILERS
COMIC SPOILERS
COMIC SPOILERS

I really wanted to kill him in the office but thought Snow would have gotten bitch level super-saiyan 6 kaio-ken 40x if I did. Also, I didn't want to give up the chance for more story.

And screw George & Vivian, they should have let me remove her ribbon when I tried to. I don't want to hear all that about how the Crooked Man forced them to do anything. They could have came to the Big Bad Wolf and he would have ripped the dude's head off a long time ago. And Georgie and Vivian were still pimps anyway so they deserved to die from the start, the sleazy fucks.

And I hope Narissa is not actually glamoured Faith because Ginger mince>>>>>>>>>>>The Forest of Darkness lol.

I really hope there is another season because I love the world the comic creator made but am not a fan of the actual writing and plot in his Fables comics.

Anustart

Who was shackled up in the butcher shop?

Could the witching well be a breeding ground for bacteria that eventually evolves in to the thing that causes walking dead???

Is Finkle Nerissa????

Permanently A

Oh second thought... the final twist might be that
Nerissa is actually Faith... considering Faith's fairytale is about her hiding from her father with a donkey skin...

Nerissa

I don't really know what the whole point of that twist was, so what if she's actually Faith, what does that change? She's still the one who set everything in motion, just one more little layer on top that doesn't really matter?

Sendou

Was
Faith's whole body ever discovered
in the game? I can't seem to remember. If so then
it easily could be Nerissa glamoured as Faith when you find the head there

Nerissa

I don't really know what the whole point of that twist was, so what if she's actually Faith, what does that change? She's still the one who set everything in motion, just one more little layer on top that doesn't really matter?

Well if it was actually
Faith in the ending scene there then wouldn't that be a pretty strong implication that Faith actually got Nerissa glamoured as her in one way or another so that she would be the one that got killed and not her?

Was

Well if it was actually
Faith in the ending scene there then wouldn't that be a pretty strong implication that Faith actually got Nerissa glamoured as her in one way or another so that she would be the one that got killed and not her?

Damn, that makes more sense than Narissa glamouring herself in the first episode. That sucks

Was

Well if it was actually

yeah and I'm saying so what? It's a nice new layer I guess but nothing that really changes anything. Unless the stuff about her setting things in motion isn't the whole story and she has a bigger/different agenda then I don't see what the big deal is.

thefil

Was

Well if it was actually

I wish I hadn't needed that explained to me, but damn, it makes a lot of sense and is stone cold.

Nishastra

Banned
Well if it was actually
Yeah, given what the
Donkeyskin fable is about and how it was mentioned in the flashes at the end, it's likely that "Nerissa" was actually Faith. Either way, one of them is dead and the other pulled several fast ones on several people.

I dunno. My head hurts. I'll just wait for a season two :p

Sendou

yeah and I'm saying so what? It's a nice new layer I guess but nothing that really changes anything. Unless the stuff about her setting things in motion isn't the whole story and she has a bigger/different agenda then I don't see what the big deal is.

Well that
changes her whole character. I mean people were feeling pretty sympathetic towards Faith when she got killed. I'm guessing it is more for the story of Season 2. You're not wrong in the sense that it doesn't affect the main story arc of Season 1 that I felt was a bit weak.

I enjoyed it.

But I don't really get the significance of the ending twist or whatever you want to call it.
So Nerissa glamored herself as Faith in episode 1 to get Bigby's attention on the Crooked Man? Or some variation on that? So, what? I don't quite get what the big deal is there. Faith and Lilly are still dead, right? Or Faith glamored herself up as Nerissa?

Voror

Rumor was the the red headed cab driver did it all along, but Steam Community solved it right away and had to rewrite Ep 2, hence the long wait
. Whether it is true or not is anyone's guess.

I totally buy that. I feel like everyone suspected that guy.

So, if there is a season two, who does everyone want to play as? Continue as Bigby or someone new?

Wait a sec.
If Faith glamoured herself as Narissa and Narissa as Faith then.....HOW

Faith forcing a glamour on Narissa and then George not noticing that doesn't make sense to me. In fact, nothing about this ending does. I guess I'll just have to wait for Season 2 because thinking about this stuff is hurting my head.

Sendou

Wait a sec.
If Faith glamoured herself as Narissa and Narissa as Faith then.....HOW

Faith forcing a glamour on Narissa and then George not noticing that doesn't make sense to me. In fact, nothing about this ending does. I guess I'll just have to wait for Season 2 because thinking about this stuff is hurting my head.

Well all of the prostitutes had glamour tubes at hand for the clients. I don't think this much is a stretch. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Nerissa and Faith could have agreed to switch roles for whatever reason. Then with that maybe Faith went to Georgie knowing full well what would happen after that? Basically the perfect cover story if you wanted to get off the job since he knew what Bigby would do to Georgie and how exactly she could frame her own death.

With that the primary guilty party and the whole mastermind in this case wouldn't be Crooked Man but rather Faith. That's the significance in my opinion. Faith played pretty much everyone. Bigby, Crooked Man, Georgie and Nerissa.

Well that
changes her whole character. I mean people were feeling pretty sympathetic towards Faith when she got killed. I'm guessing it is more for the story of Season 2. You're not wrong in the sense that it doesn't affect the main story arc of Season 1 that I felt was a bit weak.

I would've switched the revelations around, she comes clean about being Faith to protect herself and the season ender is Bigby realizing she manipulated him and everything from the start.

FluxWaveZ

That... was it? Direction and sound design felt very weird right up until the
Bloody Mary
confrontation was done. That whole scene, in particular, felt so haphazard and anticlimactic. Same goes for that
car chase
scene before it.

Felt very tunneled into the rest of the scenes, which was the usual for any episode past the second one, but those are still good since the characters and dialogue make up for it.
I killed the Crooked Man and didn't even have to think about it. No way was I giving him a chance to escape and killing him was the right thing to do. The rest of the characters came around to that decision, too, which was cool.

Didn't really comprehend the ending twist (and still don't particularly) until reading a few replies in this thread. Interesting, I guess, but not as impactful for me as it was probably designed to be.

It was really short at an hour, too. I'm done with modern Telltale adventure games until more episodes are out and until they're heavily discounted, as they tend to be, because they've not been the greatest of experiences. The conclusion wasn't particularly disappointing, but I'll be happier when I don't have to wait and don't have to deal with the overall problems TTG games have caused me recently.

hbkdx12

I totally buy that. I feel like everyone suspected that guy.

So, if there is a season two, who does everyone want to play as? Continue as Bigby or someone new?

I would love to continue as bigby considering i like his character and he has a lot of depth but after playing the walking dead and The Wolf Among Us, telltales influences are very transparent in that they're very handed with the "are you a good person or are you a bad person" now that all choices have been made and all the consequences have been played out.

I like the fact that their games have weighy choices which is a testament to their characterization and writing but it's very easy to see where/how they draw the line and the way they try to manipulate you into jumping back and forth over it. It feels too binary that i wouldn't necessarily want to go through it again with the same character under the same formula.

I was getting some real Primal Fear vibes at the very end when the conversation with
Narissa
started. Sure enough..

Anyway, that was a pretty good season. So glad I waited til 66% off to pick it up last week. The timing was perfect.

Dat ending

t8cFSWQ.gif

MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED
Keyser Motherfucking Soze

Seriously. While the episode itself was a bit disappointing it still was very solid. I didn't find it extremely fair how
the crooked man tried to use my behavior as an excuse and nobody defended me. I've been doing the best choices the whole game lol

Knowing how the comic begins I really wanted to (comic spoilers)
try and get together with Narissa/The Little Mermaid since Snow doesn't really get feelings for you till later

But when that shit at the end happened. I even began suspecting it when
she says, in a very eerie manner "you're not as bad as everybody says you are" and the eerie screech occurred

Seriously what an ending. I know I said I felt like a second season would be forced, but man they convinced me that one more season wouldn't be half bad for a Fables fan. Give me more.

The Wolf Among Us [Complete] gets a 9/10

I was getting some real Primal Fear vibes at the very end when the conversation with
Narissa
started. Sure enough..

Anyway, that was a pretty good season. So glad I waited til 66% off to pick it up last week. The timing was perfect.
There's a movie I got vibes about. You'll never guess which.

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
Well this was nice to come home to. Gonna save it for my day off so I can really enjoy it. I wasn't super excited about the last one so I'm really hoping it ends on a strong point.

culafia

It was good. Made my decision for
The Crooked Man
based on the Walking Dead comic book, which handled this exact issue in the last 5 issues. In TWD 126, they try the
prison
thing, and in 129 it
clearly doesn't work. They're building towards an escape almost immediately after setting it up

Because of this, in Wolf Among Us, I elected to
throw that turkey eye looking motherfucker down the well.

Other episode comments:

Fantastic first part, great action scene, great Mary scene although I wish she got a line before getting busted, good middle part, and then it felt like they rushed to the ending a bit. The end twist was interesting and raises a lot of questions, but it was too subtle for its own good IMO. I kind of wish there was a bit more character interaction and a slightly more impactful or conclusive ending.

LiK

finished it, it was great but way too short. i like where they're going with it. i feel like replaying it soon to see what the minor differences will be.

When it comes to
Crooked Man I decided to throw him in the well. Didn't want to undermine Snow's power right from the beginning and it was more discreet than ripping his throat open in front of those people. Didn't imprison because there was not enough information to be sure he would stay there and wouldn't influence people from inside.

Greenleaf turns him into a crow and makes it a point that he can't speak any more. I think he gets sent to the Farm as well.

So are we sure we are going to see a Season 2? Telltale is pretty damn busy. I'd honestly like to see them focus their efforts on the Game of Thrones game. I absolutely loved The Wolf Among Us, but I wouldn't mind it being a stand alone.

So are we sure we are going to see a Season 2? Telltale is pretty damn busy. I'd honestly like to see them focus their efforts on the Game of Thrones game. I absolutely loved The Wolf Among Us, but I wouldn't mind it being a stand alone.

Not yet. Even if we were it wouldn't be till next year. But I for one really want there to be a Season 2.

I felt I kinda fucked up
going after Georgie instead of the Crooked Man in the chase scene
but it all works out, so whatever.

The trial had some pretty good tension, I'm content with the choice I made.
He's not dead, let's just say that.

Was pretty short and the final twist was just like "what."

Wouldn't mind a S2 but I hope Telltale tones it down after GoT & Tales of Borderlands and focuses on one project and really makes it expansive, way too short and too little real interaction on certain things.

Bryko

That... was it? Direction and sound design felt very weird right up until the
Bloody Mary
confrontation was done. That whole scene, in particular, felt so haphazard and anticlimactic. Same goes for that
car chase
scene before it.

Felt very tunneled into the rest of the scenes, which was the usual for any episode past the second one, but those are still good since the characters and dialogue make up for it.
I killed the Crooked Man and didn't even have to think about it. No way was I giving him a chance to escape and killing him was the right thing to do. The rest of the characters came around to that decision, too, which was cool.

Didn't really comprehend the ending twist (and still don't particularly) until reading a few replies in this thread. Interesting, I guess, but not as impactful for me as it was probably designed to be.

It was really short at an hour, too. I'm done with modern Telltale adventure games until more episodes are out and until they're heavily discounted, as they tend to be, because they've not been the greatest of experiences. The conclusion wasn't particularly disappointing, but I'll be happier when I don't have to wait and don't have to deal with the overall problems TTG games have caused me recently.

Seconding a lot of this. As Telltale's games increase in scope, they really need to focus more on their production values. Moments that should be awesome are hurt by delayed/missing sound effects, poorly-timed animation, etc. A lot of that boils down to their terrible engine -- the same stuttering and hitching has plagued their games for ages now, and the fast-paced action sequences make it even more obvious.

I wasn't a big fan of the season overall, though I think that mostly boils down to my personal preferences in storytelling. I just couldn't really get engaged in the mystery or attached to the characters. I still enjoyed the general tone and art style, and the last few scenes were very solid. Just hope Telltale steps up their game for GoT.

Top Bottom