• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Nah there will probably be a season 2. This is set decades before the comics. There is a lot of stories they can tell in that time.

Is this confirmed? I don't know much about the Fable series, so sorry for my ignorance :)
I really really really want a season 2, enjoying this so much more than season two of TWD.

Tizoc

Can we all agree though Georgie's voice actor should voice more video game characters?
His VA is the best in the game haha.

Astarte

Okay so, I have a question

Since the Woodsman gave 'Faith' a black eye and the head also had a black eye, does that mean that Nerissa started beating the crap out of the head to give it a black eye?

Depending on how Borderlands and GoT do, I'd honestly pay a monthly fee for a Telltale channel that allowed telltale to expand and release multiple titles a year in a timely fashion.

Card Boy

Banned
I love the Bloody Mary nod to Bigbys father "Did you mother fuck any breeze that flew through" (i can't remember the exact line).

Sendou

Okay so, I have a question

Since the Woodsman gave 'Faith' a black eye and the head also had a black eye, does that mean that Nerissa started beating the crap out of the head to give it a black eye?

The glamour should catch things like that. It probably just means Nerissa was glamoured as Faith after Faith got the black eye. Or afterwards if the glamour works retroactively like that. Not sure about the lore here.

I remember reading somewhere that Fables are stronger or weaker depending on how well known their legend is, is that true?

If so then Snow should be out there beating everyone's asses.

Card Boy

Banned
GoT will inevitably do amazingly, maybe better than TWD. borderlands? Who knows really, its still a bizarre IP to go for.

I think the Telltale one would be more fun than actual Borderlands. The series has an amazing world and humor but the games are boring as batshit.

robinsxe

My goodness, what a finale. Still reeling a bit here, but here's some brief thoughts on the episode and the series as a whole:

Several scenes in this episode were incredibly intense.
Be it confronting Georgie and Vivian in their final moments, the trial for the Crooked Man's life, and the final conversation with Narissa
... Every conversation just felt so important and I've never felt so hard pressed making certain decisions in a Telltale game... Hell in the vast overwhelming majority of videogames.

The nod that Narissa was glamoured as Faith and basically played every the entire time was absolutely fucking brilliant. I was initially a little confused as to who they alluding to Narissa actually was, but DAMN.

Man ever did this Episode feel like the culmination of all the choices you make throughout the series too, far more than any other Telltale game. I felt like such a piece of crap sending Toad and TJ to the farm while at the same time giving Colin a free pass to stay. More than that though, I let my disdain for the Crooked Man get the best of me, and I chose to rip off his head. Good lord was that a mistake, Snow White was terrified and wouldn't even look Bigby in the eye after that. They've been hammering home for the whole series the whole "is Bigby a new person or deep down is he still the Big Bad Wolf", and it certainly culminates in the finale depending on how you played the series.

The only low point of the episode for me was
the fight with Bloody Mary. Only because it went on too long and kind of looked like crap. Bloody Mary's clones looked like they were turning into ice cubes.

All in all I really do think this is may favorite thing that Telltale has ever done. It's not necessarily as good as The Waking Dead, but I certainly enjoy it more. The cast is just so stellar in Wolf Among Us, every character is so memorable, even the one's that you only briefly encounter.

The screen that flashed up with
"if you want the story to continue then buy the comics" seems to suggest that this very well may be the end of the game series.

I think they just left it open so they could maybe one day return.

you just summed up my thoughts exactly, sounds like we had a smilliar run :) What i've been trying NOT to do with Telltale games anymore is to try and play the "Good guy"-path or the "bad guy"-path specifically, since it's so frustrating keeping up in the end (especially since Telltale games have the most annoying and slap-you-in-the-face-compatible sidecharacters ever) and I really feel that different situations requires different actions, both good and bad. Thats what I like so much in The Wolf Among Us, both personalities fits Bigby so damn well, and that makes the game and it's choices so much more exciting for me.

All in all, a great season! Can't wait for the next one.

I think the Telltale one would be more fun than actual Borderlands. The series has an amazing world and humor but the games are boring as batshit.
I have no doubt they'll make it interesting, but the world and honestly most of the humour doesn't click with me. I guess I'm just super salty they haven't done Doctor Who yet ;)

Also is Ep 5 not in the UK yet? Says I can download it but get a red "no entry" symbol whenever I try.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Okay, so we have TWD:S2 and BL:S1 and GoT:S1 but... when will TWAU:S2 begin?! I need this! I'm guessing it's sold good and will get a second season but has it been official?

Enco

To be honest I don't see how we can have TWAU season 2.

The ending was slightly ambiguous but nothing that requires a sequel. Guess they could do a completely different story in the same world.

Last episode left me with a bit confused,
especially the last scene where the girl made a similar phrase from the dead girl in the first episode. Why? Motives?

The Crooked Man's claims were pretty convincing but still he's quite apathetic, remorseless and ruthless . I went with imprisoning The Crooked Man anyway, better an eternity inside a cage rather than a quick death.

The fight scene with Bloody Mary dragged on for far too long. I was kinda expecting her to die with at least saying something but no.

I still hate the time you have to wait for an episode, makes me forget the stuff I've done

zVGdj2E.gif

Still a great finale 9/10

To be honest I don't see how we can have TWAU season 2.

The ending was slightly ambiguous but nothing that requires a sequel. Guess they could do a completely different story in the same world.
We don't necessarily have to have it focus around Bigby. Boy Blue, Jack, Rose Red, there's so many characters to draw upon.

Fuz

Banned
Terrible episode.

Some random thoughts about it:
The "negotiation" at the beginning is just dumb and feel shoehorned. And why are they talking in the first place? Bigby should have stormed the place like a fucking hurricane.
The revelation it was Georgie came out of the blue... not a single clue in the game pointed to that... felt like a "Hey, let's just choose a random perpetrator!". Same as the story with Vivian. She has no backstory, came almost out of nowhere and acts completely random.
Bloody Mary hitting him in the factory and Bigby not doing anything else but talk and letting the crooked man go it's so stupid I have no words. Bigby looks like a wimp, and it's something that clashes with what we read in the comics. It's get better in the "wolf scene", but still feels wrong and that scene feels very static.
In general, they talk a lot and it always makes no real sense, feel stupid, out of touch with what's happening and way exaggerated, like they're pathetically trying to forcibly up the tension.
Nerissa's explanation at the end feels artificial, like the writers are desperately trying to cover up the holes in the plot.
The chase scene is the only thing that's pretty good.
Playing this episode it's like watching something completely different from the rest of the story. It's really bad storytelling.

And it's a shame, because the first episode was so fucking good.

mrpeabody

I liked the
courtroom scene and the tag with the Fables heading up to the Farm.

It's a little rich that if you
kill the Crooked Man, Snow was like "well, ok, I can let it slide just this once."

I didn't buy the excuse that
the Crooked Man didn't pull the trigger on these particular murders. Doesn't he run an entire criminal empire in Fabletown? Maybe we could bust him on one of his kajillion other crimes instead of worrying about hearsay and evidence.

Some other more minor complaints:

I had a lot of trouble understanding the ending. What is it exactly that Bigby realizes at the end?
Something about Faith and Nerissa being the same person, but I can't make all the pieces fit.

The voice acting was generally strong -- the villains were great, Snow was great -- but the witch sounded really off to me. She sounded like a twentysomething trying to sound old. It really sticks out in this episode.

Finally, I got a ton of animation bugs. Nothing game-breaking, but almost every scene had somebody warping around or the camera pointing at nothing. Maybe it was because I'm using Steam in-home streaming? It didn't happen in the other episodes.

I remember reading somewhere that Fables are stronger or weaker depending on how well known their legend is, is that true?

If so then Snow should be out there beating everyone's asses.
Somewhat (universe explanation spoilers)
the more popular you are the harder you are to kill. More popular fables/characters can afford to be killed and they'll eventually come back. Less popular/unknown fables won't come back and just die the first time

Herne

I liked the
courtroom scene and the tag with the Fables heading up to the Farm.

It's a little rich that if you
kill the Crooked Man, Snow was like "well, ok, I can let it slide just this once."

I didn't buy the excuse that
the Crooked Man didn't pull the trigger on these particular murders. Doesn't he run an entire criminal empire in Fabletown? Maybe we could bust him on one of his kajillion other crimes instead of worrying about hearsay and evidence.

Some other more minor complaints:

I had a lot of trouble understanding the ending. What is it exactly that Bigby realizes at the end?
Something about Faith and Nerissa being the same person, but I can't make all the pieces fit.

The voice acting was generally strong -- the villains were great, Snow was great -- but the witch sounded really off to me. She sounded like a twentysomething trying to sound old. It really sticks out in this episode.

Finally, I got a ton of animation bugs. Nothing game-breaking, but almost every scene had somebody warping around or the camera pointing at nothing. Maybe it was because I'm using Steam in-home streaming? It didn't happen in the other episodes.

It is indeed due to Steam Home Streaming. I'd love to play it on our television in the living room with my Wii U Pro controller, but the delays really fuck with the engine. Not that it's a great engine to begin with - I don't know how many missing sounds and slight delays I experienced as I played through.

Nzyme32

The screen that flashed up with
"if you want the story to continue then buy the comics" seems to suggest that this very well may be the end of the game series.

I think they just left it open so they could maybe one day return.

I don't think it said
"if you want the story to continue" it just said "continue the story", that is to say, continue from the point of learning more about Nerrisa and that ending by reading the graphic novels.

I don't think it means that this is the end of the wolf among us. This is the end of the season, ie there is no real reason to continue this story arc as it is fully completed. Any future series of the wolf among us would likely still contain the odd remembered action from season 1 but will probably be a new story and case

Corpsepyre

Banned
GREAT, GREAT episode, and a brilliant cap to one of the best games I've played. The art-style, the voice-acting, the script, the kickass fight sequences and so much more all made for a very memorable experience.

Can't wait to see what TT does with Game of Thrones.

Fantastic episode.

I'm still not sure who we're speaking to at the end is actually Faith or not, but maybe that is intentional. Both theories have things that are hard to explain.

tumm

Neo Member
Man ever did this Episode feel like the culmination of all the choices you make throughout the series too, far more than any other Telltale game.
I felt like such a piece of crap sending Toad and TJ to the farm while at the same time giving Colin a free pass to stay. More than that though, I let my disdain for the Crooked Man get the best of me, and I chose to rip off his head. Good lord was that a mistake, Snow White was terrified and wouldn't even look Bigby in the eye after that. They've been hammering home for the whole series the whole "is Bigby a new person or deep down is he still the Big Bad Wolf", and it certainly culminates in the finale depending on how you played the series.
[/SPOILER]

I felt the exact opposite.
I've tried different choices throughout, and every time the ending is almost the exact same. Whether you jump on The Crooked Man's car or Georgie's car you still end up at The Pudding & Pie club. Snow doesn't look at you/shoes you away before you can speak to her whether you kill The Crooked Man or not, Toad has to leave whether you give him the money in episode 4 or not. I'm not sure about the pig staying, but I imagine it's the same.

It's a shame, because these are the perfect types of game to take advantage of the interactivity the medium offers for a tree-like story structure, where each decisions opens up a different path for the story to take, but really it's pretty linear with only the minor things, if anything, being changed by your decisions.

I also had some gripes with the story itself, it seemed to get weaker and stretched thin by the episode, ascribing importance to almost irrelevant things--which would be fine if they mattered and influenced the outcome, but they don't, hence the irrelevance and almost filler-like content, which is crazy to have in a short story-driven game.
Even the big "revelation" is pretty insignificant, literally just before Nerissa walked away she told you that she planted the head on his doorstep so it was already established she orchestrated the whole thing. I'm honestly not sure what they are trying to allude to with the whole Faith/Nerissa thing because it doesn't matter whether she's one or the other, it adds no new information to the investigation.

yGray

Banned
So why
was Nerissa glamoured as Faith in the beginning? Why was she getting beat by the Woodsman? This whole thing started because Lily, Faith and Nerissa got a picture of Crane fucking with a glamoured Lily that looked like Snow White? Was Colin going to remain in Bigby's apartment no matter what? There's no way to branch that storyline? I was really annoyed by Colin. Toad would have been forced to go to the farm no matter what?

Amazing series but the typical Telltale bullshit of the story staying the same no matter what kind of puts me off.

Van Owen

Banned
So why
was Nerissa glamoured as Faith in the beginning? Why was she getting beat by the Woodsman? This whole thing started because Lily, Faith and Nerissa got a picture of Crane fucking with a glamoured Lily that looked like Snow White? Was Colin going to remain in Bigby's apartment no matter what? There's no way to branch that storyline? I was really annoyed by Colin. Toad would have been forced to go to the farm no matter what?

That was probably the real Faith in the first episode getting beat up.

After playing the first season of WD I learned not to get caught up in choices in Telltale games since they have a definite narrative for most characters that won't really change regardless of choices.

Replicant

I actually have a different, more simpler interpretation of the final scene.

In order to set everything in motion but without a danger to herself, Nerissa glamored herself as Faith then took picture of Crane with Lily (as Snow) in compromising position, get herself into situation with the woodsman, and then did everything she said she did to Bigby.

When she 'confessed' to Georgie, she essentially said that Faith did it when in fact it was her who did it herself while disguised as Faith. I don't think she could foresee the result of Faith would get killed but she must have had some inkling that the punishment would be severe and that's why she chose to do it while disguising herself as Faith.

Van Owen

Banned
I actually have a different, more simpler interpretation of the final scene.

In order to set everything in motion but without a danger to herself, Nerissa glamored herself as Faith then took picture of Crane with Lily (as Snow) in compromising position, get herself into situation with the woodsman, and then did everything she said she did to Bigby.

When she 'confessed' to Georgie, she essentially said that Faith did it when in fact it was her who did it herself while disguised as Faith. I don't think she could foresee the result of Faith would get killed but she must have had some inkling that the punishment would be severe and that's why she chose to do it while disguising herself as Faith.

I don't get how that makes sense.

The story was that all three of them were in on it to facilitate their escape. If she confessed to Georgie as Narissa and admitted guilt, she wouldn't need to glamor herself as Faith for protection in the first place. For all she knew Georgie would kill all 3 of them.

hbkdx12

I wish it would let you go back and re-play sections of chapters instead of making you start from the beginning. I want to experience other endings but I don't want to play through the whole thing again.

Pretty sure they already do this.

When you go back to a chapter you completed, you'll see the chapter divided into a handful of sections and depending on where you choose to jump in it'll tell you that your choices up to that point will remain the same from when you originally did them.

It was the same with TWD

Terrible episode.

Some random thoughts about it:
The "negotiation" at the beginning is just dumb and feel shoehorned. And why are they talking in the first place? Bigby should have stormed the place like a fucking hurricane.
The revelation it was Georgie came out of the blue... not a single clue in the game pointed to that... felt like a "Hey, let's just choose a random perpetrator!". Same as the story with Vivian. She has no backstory, came almost out of nowhere and acts completely random.
Bloody Mary hitting him in the factory and Bigby not doing anything else but talk and letting the crooked man go it's so stupid I have no words. Bigby looks like a wimp, and it's something that clashes with what we read in the comics. It's get better in the "wolf scene", but still feels wrong and that scene feels very static.
In general, they talk a lot and it always makes no real sense, feel stupid, out of touch with what's happening and way exaggerated, like they're pathetically trying to forcibly up the tension.
Nerissa's explanation at the end feels artificial, like the writers are desperately trying to cover up the holes in the plot.
The chase scene is the only thing that's pretty good.
Playing this episode it's like watching something completely different from the rest of the story. It's really bad storytelling.

And it's a shame, because the first episode was so fucking good.

-I also wanted Bigby to go off when he was initially talking to the crooked man. It seemed like a cheap way to flesh out the crooked man which they clearly hadn't done up to that point. It reminded me of terrible action movies where the villian has the hero facing death but instead prolongs it so they can tell them the whole plan for no real reason.

-I liked him throwing Georgie under the bus because it read like a boss trying to keep his hands clean by just having Georgie be the fall guy. Finding out Georgie actually did kill them (even if it was on the crooked mans behalf) deflated that for me for some reason. I suppose the hint that Georgie did it was that at hotel room where lily was killed, there was huff and puff cigarettes (Beauty makes a comment that Bigby is the only one she knows who smokes them) and the pudding and pie has a huff and puff cigarette machine so i dunno

-I also didn't like the Vivian angle. She wasn't fleshed out enough during the series for her to now be this important in the finale and her whole "Don't i have a choice?/what about me!" speech just fell flat

-The bloody mary factory fight was probably the weakest part of the whole thing. Everything about it (aside from her design) was crap. It was a really poor reason to have Bigby go into Wolf mode and even when he did it wasn't as satisfying as it should have been. I get that he couldn't do that on the streets because people would see but the idea that he turns into this gigantic ass wolf in factory is just, meh.

-I also didn't like the whole "oh there's an exact replica of your clothes that happen to be laying right here" that happened a couple of times in the episode

-The trial was both great and equally stupid as hell. It was great to see the crooked man try to worm his way out of the situation. My anger (as the player) grew as he rambled on and i took every opportunity as bigby to tell him to stop talking. But watching the Fables shift back and forth between siding with the crooked man and the authority was just cringe worthy.

jett

D-Member
Bigby is OP.

keanu-reeves-burly-brawl-matrix-reloaded-2.png

He's pretty much the Uberfable, huh. :p That was a nice conclusion, although I'm not sure what went on at the very end. TWAU has shown up the TWD team.

OK, this was a pretty good finale.
Sad to hear that there probably wont be a S2.

Not sure what to make of the whole
Nerissa thing.

I ended up controlling myself in the end and
locked away the crooked man. I also didn't hurt him.
I ripped Gren's arm off and killed Dum because they were really pissing me off (and in Dum's case it was a fight of life and death) but I sympathized with Bigby's quest to become a better person and made an effort to achieve that goal in the end.
I was pissed to see Toad and his son getting sent to the farm, I gave him the money, he said Snow still ordered him to go and it kinda pissed me off to not be able to confront her about that.
Snow is a great character, she's hard to read and the pressure made her behavior unpredictable, I always tried to support her but also went against her when I thought she wasn't being fair, like wanting to burn Greenleaf's tree, which ended up paying off the end.
The trial really made a lot of our choices come back to us and I felt bad for giving the Crooked Man ammo for his speech by killing Dum, he had a point, but it was self defense after being attacked in the first place.

I still can't get over how much Faith reminds me of Bioshock's Elizabeth lol.

Finished the last episode yesterday. This was an amazing experience in my opinion. Loved the characters and the story, and I actually started reading the comics because of this game.

In the end I
killed the Crooked Man. This was not the kind of decision I made through the game, but I felt he was going to get away If I let him live and I couldn't let that happend.
I might play this episode again just to see how much things change if
he goes to trial.

The fight with
Bloody Mary was kinda lame, only low point in the episode for me. Seeing Bigby in his full wolf form was cool though.

Really hope we see a second season.

Fuz

Banned
-I also didn't like the Vivian angle. She wasn't fleshed out enough during the series for her to now be this important in the finale and her whole "Don't i have a choice?/what about me!" speech just fell flat

Yep, my thoughts on the "Don't i have a choice?/what about me!" was "Who the fuck are you? Who cares?".

-I also didn't like the whole "oh there's an exact replica of your clothes that happen to be laying right here" that happened a couple of times in the episode
Yeah. that's another thing that rubbed me wrong.

Cheska

Man, what an amazing ride it's been! I really can't wait to replay all of these in succession and try and pick up on hints early on.

Regarding the very final sequence:
does it make a difference if you go after "Nerissa" or not?

hbkdx12

Regarding the very final sequence:
does it make a difference if you go after "Nerissa" or not?
Not at all. I chose to go after her and as soon as he moves in her direction the episode ends.

I'm assuming it was cooler to just have bigby stand there and not go after her and watch her walk off into the sunset (figuratively of course)

Yeah that was pretty fun. I've never played TWD so this was quite fresh to me. As others have said, game was too linear though. I think I'll check out the comics now!

Top Bottom