• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

White Man

I wish it would let you go back and re-play sections of chapters instead of making you start from the beginning. I want to experience other endings but I don't want to play through the whole thing again.

Zukuu

Banned
So my "I'm serving justice... my way" was kinda the right way to play. With the exception of being a little ruff on one of the brothers during interrogation, I played it mostly by the books. That was the only thing that was there to accuse me off. I spared lives , didn't rip out arms and tried to look out for all fables.

I took him in alive, let him speak and used voting for his punishment (which I had to decide in the end). I threw him down the well, since that is the normal punishment for murderers in fable town. No exception here. While he wasn't the killer directly, he tried multiple times to kill me, which to me, is enough warranting it.

I want a season 2. Now. I'm not sure what was implied at the end.
Nerissa was glamoured as Faith? She was already dead at that point I think. I still let her go, tho

Levito

Banned
My goodness, what a finale. Still reeling a bit here, but here's some brief thoughts on the episode and the series as a whole:

Several scenes in this episode were incredibly intense.
Be it confronting Georgie and Vivian in their final moments, the trial for the Crooked Man's life, and the final conversation with Narissa
... Every conversation just felt so important and I've never felt so hard pressed making certain decisions in a Telltale game... Hell in the vast overwhelming majority of videogames.

The nod that Narissa was glamoured as Faith and basically played every the entire time was absolutely fucking brilliant. I was initially a little confused as to who they alluding to Narissa actually was, but DAMN.

Man ever did this Episode feel like the culmination of all the choices you make throughout the series too, far more than any other Telltale game. I felt like such a piece of crap sending Toad and TJ to the farm while at the same time giving Colin a free pass to stay. More than that though, I let my disdain for the Crooked Man get the best of me, and I chose to rip off his head. Good lord was that a mistake, Snow White was terrified and wouldn't even look Bigby in the eye after that. They've been hammering home for the whole series the whole "is Bigby a new person or deep down is he still the Big Bad Wolf", and it certainly culminates in the finale depending on how you played the series.

The only low point of the episode for me was
the fight with Bloody Mary. Only because it went on too long and kind of looked like crap. Bloody Mary's clones looked like they were turning into ice cubes.

All in all I really do think this is may favorite thing that Telltale has ever done. It's not necessarily as good as The Waking Dead, but I certainly enjoy it more. The cast is just so stellar in Wolf Among Us, every character is so memorable, even the one's that you only briefly encounter.

So are we sure we are going to see a Season 2? Telltale is pretty damn busy. I'd honestly like to see them focus their efforts on the Game of Thrones game. I absolutely loved The Wolf Among Us, but I wouldn't mind it being a stand alone.

The screen that flashed up with
"if you want the story to continue then buy the comics" seems to suggest that this very well may be the end of the game series.

I think they just left it open so they could maybe one day return.

bigkrev

Finished it. This probably should have been 4 episodes instead of 5- the last 2 episodes were way too short.
Also, on PSN, it either didn't record my choices or just won't show them to me

LiK

Finished it. This probably should have been 4 episodes instead of 5- the last 2 episodes were way too short.
Also, on PSN, it either didn't record my choices or just won't show them to me

same on PC. they never seem to show choices with other players on the first day. guess not enough data.

hohoXD123

Transforming into full wolf mode felt so satisfying. Some sequences of the Mary fight definitely felt off though.

I'm guessing Nerissa was actually a glamoured Faith all along, with the Faith head being Nerissa's? Seems like a fairly inconsequential point, unless if this is a setup for season 2.

Overall, really enjoyed the series. Definitely at least on par with TWD for me, the finale couldn't top TWD's but it came damn close.

Applebite

Overall, I really liked the game. I still don't think the choices made a very big difference to the actual ending, but it was a lot more nuanced in dialogue and in choices than TWD.
Did anyone else kinda treat Bigby as a Batman type of character? I'd rather have the Crooked Man rot in jail than kill him. I'm also a little sad that I missed the opportunity to say "JUSTICE!" because I liked the other dialogue option better, haha.

Just kinda nitpicking, but I did have one problem..
The fact that The Crooked Man told everyone I had beaten up one of the Tweedles despite the fact that I didn't do it seemed super half-assed. When I told people that Bluebeard did it, nobody really said anything, and I think that moment in particular sorta illustrates how Telltale honestly kinda fails with some of the choices. I loved the game, but little choices like this should matter a lot more to make the choices feel more important. I'm hoping (but doubting) that season 2 will handle choices and consequences better.

The fact that The Crooked Man told everyone I had beaten up one of the Tweedles despite the fact that I didn't do it seemed super half-assed. When I told people that Bluebeard did it, nobody really said anything, and I think that moment in particular sorta illustrates how Telltale honestly kinda fails with some of the choices. I loved the game, but little choices like this should matter a lot more to make the choices feel more important. I'm hoping (but doubting) that season 2 will handle choices and consequences better.

yeah same thing happened to me and I felt just like you.
I was weirded out when he said I beat up that Tweedle(who deserved it), it felt like Telltale didn't feel like accounting for the fact Crooked Man had hardly any dirt on a Bigby who played it straight the whole game. Then Bigby says Bluebeard did in a half-assed attempt at them saying "look guys we didn't forget, your choice mattered!"

damn what an amazing finale! i need S2 in my veins

crooked man was going for some GoT level manipulation at his trail and i wasnt putting up with that shit. down the witching well he went

btw the opening credits music is so damn good

Proc

Brilliant game. Perfect game to couch co op with your significant other. Going to dive into the comics next. Telltale makes you feel for characters like no other in gaming.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just finished it.

That was really good. Enjoyed it a lot. Probably would have enjoyed more if i played it all in one go. Playing these in episodic format is not ideal at all.

Also, my game bugged out real bad in the epilogue. Right after the decisions i got a bunch of glitches where it said 'this choice is blank' on every entry and it kept changing locations every time i tried to answer. I had to restart the chapter in order not to miss anything.

Also all the player choices didnt work for me. Unfortunate buggy ending experience. But for the most part i liked it a lot. There was barely any worthwhile gameplay in the season, so they are fortunate to have good writers making the moral choices feel compelling.

Did anyone else kinda treat Bigby as a Batman type of character? I'd rather have the Crooked Man rot in jail than kill him. I'm also a little sad that I missed the opportunity to say "JUSTICE!" because I liked the other dialogue option better, haha.

I was going to lock him up, but he tried to drag me down the witching well...so I ripped his head off.

Great season, the 4 month wait between EP 1 and 2 sucked...but it was worth it.

LiK

Just finished it.

That was really good. Enjoyed it a lot. Probably would have enjoyed more if i played it all in one go. Playing these in episodic format is not ideal at all.

Also, my game bugged out real bad in the epilogue. Right after the decisions i got a bunch of glitches where it said 'this choice is blank' on every entry and it kept changing locations every time i tried to answer. I had to restart the chapter in order not to miss anything.

Also all the player choices didnt work for me. Unfortunate buggy ending experience. But for the most part i liked it a lot. There was barely any worthwhile gameplay in the season, so they are fortunate to have good writers making the moral choices feel compelling.

the player choices never work the first day. i've encountered the same issue every time cuz i play day one for all of them.

carlsojo

That was a pretty solid first season. I kind of wish you would get more "off-time" or something so you could actually explore a bit, but I understand it's a focused narrative.

Lawrence
If you save Faith's husband in Episode 1, does he show up at all?

Nerissa
I'm pretty sure Faith is actually glamoured as Nerissa, and not the other way around, just based on her backstory with escaping her father. Does Nerissa even show up in the game before you find the Donkeyskin coat?

Mary
Awesome villain. I hope she isn't actually dead. Would love to see her as a main character in Season 2.

Zukuu

Banned
That was a pretty solid first season. I kind of wish you would get more "off-time" or something so you could actually explore a bit, but I understand it's a focused narrative.

Lawrence
If you save Faith's husband in Episode 1, does he show up at all?

Nerissa
I'm pretty sure Faith is actually glamoured as Nerissa, and not the other way around, just based on her backstory with escaping her father. Does Nerissa even show up in the game before you find the Donkeyskin coat?

Mary
Awesome villain. I hope she isn't actually dead. Would love to see her as a main character in Season 2.
Yes. For a brief interruption, during the trial.

So who does the head belong too? If it was glamoured, it would have run long out. Also, why would she leave Lawrence to die, if she was Faith?

Boss fight was pretty terrible tho. And why the fuck didn't she used a gun NOW?

carlsojo

Yes. For a brief interruption, during the trial.

So who does the head belong too? If it was glamoured, it would have run long out. Also, why would she leave Lawrence to die, if she was Faith?

Boss fight was pretty terrible tho. And why the fuck didn't she used a gun NOW?

I assume the head would belong to the real Nerissa. I don't know if the glamour would have run out or not, how long do they last? The game only takes place over a few days I think. She probably didn't know Lawrence killed himself, plus she left him anyway.

And yeah, the boss fight was just okay.

BiggNife

Did the game not show story stats for you guys after beating it? I got the special stats but not the story stats. I'm really curious to see what the percentages for some of those choices end up being.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I feel like i have to replay the game since i didn't understand/remember some references people are making in this thread like:

Nerissa
I think she's Faith but...What the hell does she have to do with Little Mermaid?

A great episode all around (cool fights and dialogue), and a great ending to the season. Hopefully is not the end of the series :(.

What i got from the ending twist was:

The Nerissa we talk with at the end is actually Faith, just like in the tale of Donkeyskin she disguises herself (As Nerissa), to escape her terrible fate. Of course she also mixes up the names in the version of the story that she gives to Bigby.

The real Nerissa must have been already dead at the time we first met with Faith (Ep1). So, (somehow) she glamours Nerissa to get Bigby involved in the investigation and also to the create the illusion that she was the one killed and not Nerissa, and ultimately taking no blame for the situation.

The glamour of Nerissa´s head does not vanish because the rest of her body was never found (During the episode Georgie says to Vivian "You are gonna end up at the bottom of the lake just like I did with that whore" or something like that), and so wasn´t the wooden tube containing the spell. Bigby opens one of this tubes to find that the dead Snow White was actually Lily.

So... What happens if
Bigby kills the crooked man before the trial scene? Does Bigby go on trial for the murder of the crooked man? :p

The production values Episode 5 got real weird. All of the times a character raised their voices the sound seemed really off; all I can think is that it was compression. It was doubly bad because this was happening during key events in the episode.

A bummer, to say the least.

I assume the head would belong to the real Nerissa. I don't know if the glamour would have run out or not, how long do they last? The game only takes place over a few days I think. She probably didn't know Lawrence killed himself, plus she left him anyway.

And yeah, the boss fight was just okay.

(Episode 5/Season 1 ending spoilers and speculation)
They'll probably just hand-waive it away being one of Donkeyskin's powers in Season 2. That's my guess, anyways.

Though, I actually thought it was just Faith and Nerissa coincidentally using the same dialog, suggesting some sort of fateful encounter for Bigby. Though to be honest, I can barely remember the previous chapters, so perhaps I'm wrong. I also wasn't really paying a lot of attention during those critical last moments of the game, unfortunately. x.x

The entire middle of the episode (transitioning from the encounter with the Crooked Man to the next encounter with the Crooked Man) seemed incredibly rushed. The lowest point of the episode I'd say is Mary's showdown, which was a real letdown, especially when you consider how powerful and sinister she seemed in the previous battle. There was so much silver... so many copies of Mary... and yet not a single one thought to get her gun from the Crooked Man so she could actually harm Bigby; instead, she was content just massaging him with her glass shards while saying absolutely nothing and breaking glass a lot. The Big Bad Wolf transformation also felt really shoehorned into this episode with zero explanation except to confirm that, yes, this is the Big Bad Wolf of legend.

No idea how the Huntsman ever managed to beat him in that form... And actually, what happened to the Huntsman?

The entire episode took a real left turn with its use of quick-time events - they were irritating and commonplace. There were more QTEs in Episode 5 than all the previous episodes combined, I think.

It was especially jarring for me because I've been playing Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which has some spectacular and even fun QTEs. To go from Rising's QTEs to TWAU's QTEs was a tough transition.

Oh, so how come we cant see our choices compared to everyone elses for the last episode? Am I missing something?

I beat it several hours ago and got a full comparison to other players. Perhaps the servers are down now or something?

Stoze

Aw man, didn't realize that ep 5 dosen't come out on 360 till tomorrow. Episode 4 was really low key, pretty short and uneventful compared to the previous episodes.

(Episode 5/Season 1 ending spoilers and speculation)
They'll probably just hand-waive it away being one of Donkeyskin's powers in Season 2. That's my guess, anyways.

Episode 2 spoilers

The enchantment only breaks when the case containing the spell is destroyed, I think. I distinctly remember Bigby breaking Lily's, and then shortly after her body returned to its normal state. Faith/Nerissa MIGHT be holding onto the other one? Or just knew that it was somehow out of the picture.

yeah same thing happened to me and I felt just like you.
I was weirded out when he said I beat up that Tweedle(who deserved it), it felt like Telltale didn't feel like accounting for the fact Crooked Man had hardly any dirt on a Bigby who played it straight the whole game. Then Bigby says Bluebeard did in a half-assed attempt at them saying "look guys we didn't forget, your choice mattered!"

In my friend's game, he beat up Tweedle and then chose the option to blame it on Bluebeard, and he told me that Bluebeard then gets huffy and says that Bigby helped out in that department. Several of the townspeople give you dirty looks.

I don't know if it really affects the trial outcome or not. I wonder if you can actually lose?

yeah the more I digest the game the more I realize that my praises were more for the series as a whole than episode 5 itself. See Walking Dead season 1 had that gun punch and 'your choices affected this' situation that really made it come together as a whole. This one we got some disappointing choices that make it feel bad

- The mary fight. She beat you with silver bullets before and Bigby is infamous for the fact that silver bullets are his major weakness. If you have them why not use them?

- The fact she basically stopped talking after that first brawl with her makes it seem like her VA left the project during that time so they decided to transform her into a bunch of zombie-looking maries. The battle was highly disappointing and Bigby's wind blowing was much weaker than what they make it seem like in the comics. I would've been happier if we had fought an actual mary. Instead it feels like we fought a bunch of zombies.

- The final argument was a bit too easy. Just be down to earth and you'll eventually win. None of your choices really mattered for this though. Regardless if you were the straight good cop throughout the whole game, the crooked man tries to pull dirt on you of actual events. At the least you should've tried to talk bad about my past. The fact he used the Tweedle arrest against me is crap considering I was nice to him the whole way through.

This is more of a complaint on how they handled it, but I still think it's cheap (early comic spoiler)
that they had Snow and Bigby in this game having possible feelings towards each other throughout all episodes. Or at the very least being very close to each other. And in the comic they are coworkers at the beginning. Nothing more. Snow even explicitly states she never had feelings for Bigby really early on. The way they handled that they're drifting apart by having her be swamped with work would've worked if in the comic she hadn't explicitly stated so many things like the above mentioned or the fact she didn't think Bigby was that good of a detective, which this case proves otherwise

There's still some shit to happen and some characters to be introduced before we have the necessary shit for a nice transition into the comic. So I can easily see them introducing these aspects in a new season and ending it there so they can focus on other stuff.

But still such a shame. They handled some issues not very well. Walking Dead is still their highlight, and I loved this game and love the Fables universe more than I'll ever do the Walking Dead. I'll see how well season 2 of Walking Dead is.

Gray Matter

Nerrisa was
glamoured as faith, the head in the apartment building belonged to lily and faith, I don't know what happened to her. Obviously she's dead, but the "faith" we saw, was a glamoured nerrisa.

That's the best sense I can make of it.

Van Owen

Banned
Nerrisa was
glamoured as faith, the head in the apartment building belonged to lily and faith, I don't know what happened to her. Obviously she's dead, but the "faith" we saw, was a glamoured nerrisa.

That's the best sense I can make of it.

It seems like if Narissa was alive, then they wouldn't give you the option to go after her. I don't think Bigby would run her down if Narissa just glamoured herself as Faith during the Woodsman scene. How would Narissa even know Toad would call Bigby and that they would have their encounter?

It makes more sense that Narissa was the one that was killed and then glamoured to look like Faith.

hamchan

Nerissa was killed and Faith glamoured up as her to set this all off.

There's no point to Nerissa glamouring up as Faith and not telling Bigby that she did that at the end, since she just told him that she set off the whole thing anyways by leaving the head at the office steps.

Gray Matter

It seems like if Narissa was alive, then they wouldn't give you the option to go after her. I don't think Bigby would run her down if Narissa just glamoured herself as Faith during the Woodsman scene. How would Narissa even know Toad would call Bigby and that they would have their encounter?

It makes more sense that Narissa was the one that was killed and then glamoured to look like Faith.

Shit, I was
confusing lily with nerrisa, lily was glamoured as snow, and nerrisa possibly was the one who died first.
right?

I'm really confused here...

Episode 2 spoilers

The enchantment only breaks when the case containing the spell is destroyed, I think. I distinctly remember Bigby breaking Lily's, and then shortly after her body returned to its normal state. Faith/Nerissa MIGHT be holding onto the other one? Or just knew that it was somehow out of the picture.

In my friend's game, he beat up Tweedle and then chose the option to blame it on Bluebeard, and he told me that Bluebeard then gets huffy and says that Bigby helped out in that department. Several of the townspeople give you dirty looks.

I don't know if it really affects the trial outcome or not. I wonder if you can actually lose?
I'd say that no matter what you do in the trial, Nemissa will always come and save the day

kenjisalk

- The mary fight. She beat you with silver bullets before and Bigby is infamous for the fact that silver bullets are his major weakness. If you have them why not use them?

They justify it pretty quickly by, right before the fight, showing Mary's workbench where she makes silver bullets. It shows that she's used all but one of the ones she made and has yet to have time to make more before the final encounter with Bigby.

Van Owen

Banned
Shit, I was
confusing lily with nerrisa, lily was glamoured as snow, and nerrisa possibly was the one who died first.
right?

I'm really confused here...

Lilly may have been killed first since they reported her missing around the same time and the blood was sticky or something I think at the crime scene. They were likely killed around the same time.

It seems likely that Faith knew she was going to be a target and had Narissa glamour herself as Faith (maybe by telling her she needed Narissa to cover for her for a client or something) in order to avoid death and escape her shitty marriage situation, since neither the Crooked Man or Georgie questioned Narissa's (who was really Faith now) loyalty after the two deaths. The broken makeup boxes you can find in the strip club also might have something to do with it, but I don't remember which girl those belonged to.

Only thing I don't quite get is if Narissa was glamoured as Faith and about to be killed why she didn't SAY she was actually Narissa. I guess it could have been unexpected or something.

Zukuu

Banned
There are two options here:
I think we can all agree that one of the girls was already dead, when 'Faith' met BigBy for the first time.

Faith glamoured up as Nerissa.
That means Nerissa was murdered. Faith put a glamour on Nerissa's body to make it look like herself. However, Bigby questioned people about the death of FAITH, wouldn't Geroge, or any of the other questioned peopled KNOW that it was Nerissa who was killed? I doubt Nerissa was wearing a Faith-glamour just for the sake of it at the time of her murder. Why do it this way anyway? There is no motivation at hand.

Nerissa glamouring up as Faith.
Faith was killed. Nerissa glamoured up as Faith to attract Bigby's attention and then placed Faith's head at the staircase to get things rolling. That makes the sentence about "I started it anyway" a lot more fitting. This also perfectly explains why she used the same lingo.

I can safely say, the first option is ruled out for me. The 2nd just fits too well and the first has too many plot holes to be working.

hamchan

I think we can all agree that one of the girls was already dead, when 'Faith' met BigBy for the first time.

That means Nerissa was murdered. Faith put a glamour on Nerissa's body to make it look like herself. However, Bigby questioned people about the death of FAITH, wouldn't Geroge, or any of the other questioned peopled KNOW that it was Nerissa who was killed? I doubt Nerissa was wearing a Faith-glamour just for the sake of it at the time of her murder. Why do it this way anyway? There is no motivation at hand.

Nerissa glamouring up as Faith.
Faith was killed. Nerissa glamoured up as Faith to attract Bigby's attention and then placed Faith's head at the staircase to get things rolling. That makes the sentence about "I started it anyway" a lot more fitting. This also perfectly explains why she used the same lingo.

I can safely say, the first option is ruled out for me. The 2nd just fits too well and the first has too many plot holes to be working.

Disagree. The motivation for Faith is that she gets out of this life clean, with everyone thinking she's dead. She can start a new life somewhere with no one knowing. (missed the at the point of murder thing, sorry). Though I do see the plot hole with Georgie there.

The second one doesn't make sense to me because "Nerissa" already told Bigby she started this investigation by planting "Faith's" head at the office doorstep. If she also glamoured up as Faith to attract Bigby's attention she had no reason to hide that fact anymore.

So now both ways look like a crapshoot the more you think about it. :-/

Van Owen

Banned

This is why Narissa was likely glamoured as Faith WHEN she was killed, since Georgie didn't question Faith not really being dead. We just don't know the circumstances of how Faith convinced Narissa to get glamoured in the first place.

Bigby would have investigated after finding Faith's head regardless of whether or not he met her first in the Woodsman's apartment, so there would be no reason to do that.

This is more of a complaint on how they handled it, but I still think it's cheap (early comic spoiler)
that they had Snow and Bigby in this game having possible feelings towards each other throughout all episodes. Or at the very least being very close to each other. And in the comic they are coworkers at the beginning. Nothing more. Snow even explicitly states she never had feelings for Bigby really early on. The way they handled that they're drifting apart by having her be swamped with work would've worked if in the comic she hadn't explicitly stated so many things like the above mentioned or the fact she didn't think Bigby was that good of a detective, which this case proves otherwise

Response to early comic book spoilers. Read at your own peril.

One way I can think of waving this all away is
that TWAU is supposed to take place decades before the beginning of the comic book itself. IIRC, the game is set in 1986, and the comic book is a much more "modern" story. Point being, 15-20 years is plenty of time for any feelings that she started to develop in TWAU to fade. Likewise, there's plenty of time for Bigby to screw up and make himself look like a bad detective. It's not the most convincing explanation, but for the sake of the comic, it kind of works.

More importantly and as a much better explanation however (regarding the Snow aspect), remember her divorce with Prince Charming before leaving the Homelands. The comic books make it clear that she took that very hard and didn't want to fall in love. This is corroborated by her entry in the Book of Fables

Snow White may seem cold, but this stems from her life of mistreatment and abuse back in the Homelands. After escaping assault and imprisonment, not to mention an attempt on her life, she married Prince Charming. It wasn't long before Snow discovered that Charming cheated on her with her estranged sister, Rose Red, and she divorced him. After the Exodus, Snow focused her attention on setting up a safe haven for Fables in the New World. She now serves as Assistant to the Deputy Mayor of Fabletown.

So even if she has feelings for Bigby in the course of TWAU's story, it doesn't matter. That can then be waved away by remembering her fear of falling in love. She likely just closed her heart and threw away the key. Once she was out of the emotionally charged events of TWAU, as seen in the epilogue, all-business and cold Snow is back.

Zukuu

Banned
Bigby would have investigated after finding Faith's head regardless of whether or not he met her first in the Woodsman's apartment, so there would be no reason to do that.

" We just get forgotten all the time". This way he has an emotional binding to her.

Van Owen

Banned
Also:

1. Snow's line about the doctor needing to run more tests on the body, never confirming it was Faith.

2. Faith's note to her husband saying she's sorry.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Just finished, been reading around and it seems like no season 2? That the series was just a prequel to the comics. Kinda sucks if true, but I guess it makes sense, seeing as how TT is doing GoT and Borderlands and TWD.

hamchan

Just finished, been reading around and it seems like no season 2? That the series was just a prequel to the comics. Kinda sucks if true, but I guess it makes sense, seeing as how TT is doing GoT and Borderlands and TWD.

Nah there will probably be a season 2. This is set decades before the comics. There is a lot of stories they can tell in that time.

It's nowhere near as big as TWD or GoT unfortunately. That said, if I was given a chance between this and a Borderlands title, its not even close.

Top Bottom