• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

TellTale are becoming terrific developers in my opinion, the writing and pacing is top quality.

Never going to happen but I would love them to do a Star Wars or X-Men game

It could be argued that they are doing with ease what David Cage has and is still somewhat struggling to achieve...

If only they could work out the kinks in their engine and have it run reasonably stable for the most part...

It could be argued that they are doing with ease what David Cage has and is still somewhat struggling to achieve...

If only they could work out the kinks in their engine and have it run reasonably stable for the most part...

Having spent a few hours on Beyond I would agree, I think it's far from a bad game but TellTale do it better imo apart from the visuals which are stunning in Beyond.

The framerate issues are the only real issue for me otherwise it's been a great surprise

Vengal

I couldn't disagree more. if anything I think people that moan about Cages work and what is/isn't a game and then praise Walking Dead and now Wolf, truly make me raise my eyebrows.

There were moments in beyond that were super interesting and i enjoyed but it was too inconsistent. I thought the acting was overall really solid though.

I was really getting into the birthday party until everyone just flipped a switch and started twirling some heavily waxed mustaches. I think if the story wasn't about trying to save the world but more of an isolated self contained story it would have been more impact to me.

Going to pickup a few fables comics soon for my fiance and will take a peak myself, digging what i've seen so far.

szaromir

Banned
I couldn't disagree more. if anything I think people that moan about Cages work and what is/isn't a game and then praise Walking Dead and now Wolf, truly make me raise my eyebrows.
I think Cage tries his hardest to antagonize the gaming community by saying games aren't ambitious and should aspire to be more than what they are; specifically that his own games push things forward. You never hear such comment from TellTale, heck they even have their own podcast where they discuss recent releases on a more down to Earth basis.

I preordered the game on Greenmangaming last weekend thinking I'd get a Steam key, instead I had to download the game off TT's website and at first I was happy because I thought it'd be DRM free, sadly it had TT's custom DRM that's even worse than the POS that is Steam... After getting it resolved I enjoyed the (non-)game for what it is. Dialogues are awkward at times and I could swear they've reused voice actors from previous TT games which was quite offputting. Action sequences are QTE based, but luckily they're easy enough so that I didn't fail a single one. Now these quick time dialogues were a bit too quick, on several occasions by the time I read the options the time was up. :/

Also, when
doing the investigation in the Toad's apartment I first gathered all the clues, then proceeded to question the Toad, but I could only quiz him about his last lie... I needed to reload the entire sequence WTH :/

Overall, while it may sound I have many negative impressions, I actually quite enjoyed the ride and am looking forward to the next episode.

Alison

Banned

I don't think Telltale are making "games" either; both are making glorified interactive movies. The difference is Telltale can actually write dialogue and interactions that doesn't make you laugh at how horrible it is. I enjoyed Heavy Rain because it was basically a comedy and everything was so corny and stupid. I can actually play TWD and now Wolf and take what is happening seriously.

Just played it and loved it. Overall it feels like they did a LOT of refinement based on TWD feedback. The action QTE stuff was really intense and engaging and the writing/voices/direction are some of the best they've ever done (or most other games have ever done). It also helps that the art direction is oozing with style. Seriously, this thing is beautiful.

Having already read the first arc of the comics, I'm a little confused about how
Snow White could be dead
, but that scene was pretty amazing. Did they ever say whether or not this is in continuity with the comics like TWD is?

Squishy3

We need a really good X-Men game period.
It's sad when the best X-Men game released this gen is a tie-in movie based on the abomination that was Wolverine's Origin movie. Although, if you ever see Deadpool on sale, I'd recommend giving it a go. It's a pretty decent romp and it has a good amount of scenes with X-Men.

I think Cage tries his hardest to antagonize the gaming community by saying games aren't ambitious and should aspire to be more than what they are; specifically that his own games push things forward. You never hear such comment from TellTale, heck they even have their own podcast where they discuss recent releases on a more down to Earth basis.

I preordered the game on Greenmangaming last weekend thinking I'd get a Steam key, instead I had to download the game off TT's website and at first I was happy because I thought it'd be DRM free, sadly it had TT's custom DRM that's even worse than the POS that is Steam... After getting it resolved I enjoyed the (non-)game for what it is. Dialogues are awkward at times and I could swear they've reused voice actors from previous TT games which was quite offputting. Action sequences are QTE based, but luckily they're easy enough so that I didn't fail a single one. Now these quick time dialogues were a bit too quick, on several occasions by the time I read the options the time was up. :/

Also, when
doing the investigation in the Toad's apartment I first gathered all the clues, then proceeded to question the Toad, but I could only quiz him about his last lie... I needed to reload the entire sequence WTH :/

Overall, while it may sound I have many negative impressions, I actually quite enjoyed the ride and am looking forward to the next episode.
Spoilers for those who haven't completed Episode 1:
Are you sure you got everything? My first playthrough I managed to miss the door of all things because I just thought it would only give me the option to leave and end the investigation.

Just played it and loved it. Overall it feels like they did a LOT of refinement based on TWD feedback. The action QTE stuff was really intense and engaging and the writing/voices/direction are some of the best they've ever done (or most other games have ever done). It also helps that the art direction is oozing with style. Seriously, this thing is beautiful.

Having already read the first arc of the comics, I'm a little confused about how
Snow White could be dead
, but that scene was pretty amazing. Did they ever say whether or not this is in continuity with the comics like TWD is?
It's definitely in continuity with the comics. Episode 1 spoilers for those who haven't completed it:
Snow White obviously isn't dead, and if she isn't dead then it's probable that Faith isn't either. If you try to search for Faith using the magic mirror, he says her location is concealed, IIRC in the comics he says if the person you're searching for is dead.

Sorian

Banned
Are you sure you got everything? My first playthrough I managed to miss the door of all things because I just thought it would only give me the option to leave and end the investigation.

Same thing happened to me. I actually felt bad because I questioned toad and saw no other option other than to
threaten him, did that but then it gave me the option to hit him and I wasn't going to do that, kept looking around and then realized the door wasn't to leave but to investigate. I felt bad because I got a tool tip saying I scared Toad when I threatened him and it was for no reason :(

Edit: EPISODE ENDING SPOILER AND APPARENT STUFF FROM THE COMIC:
So I haven't read the comics and I am unaware of how things work in this world other than what was presented to me in this episode but it is my understanding that Snow is in the comics (not dead) and Faith was hinted to be not dead since the mirror couldn't give you a location. With that being said, are there some type of magical enchantments in this lore? Like could those have been either not heads at all or just someone else's heads made to look like Faith and Snow?

szaromir

Banned
Yeah I got everything, I reloaded it, then I examined the knob and the window, asked Toad about it, examined the lamb and the table, asked Toad about it and so on and I could proceed. Either it glitched on me or TT overlooked it when playtesting, dunno

Having spent a few hours on Beyond I would agree, I think it's far from a bad game but TellTale do it better imo apart from the visuals which are stunning in Beyond.

The framerate issues are the only real issue for me otherwise it's been a great surprise

Still waiting for Beyond, so I can't comment too much on how the story unfolds, but based on what I've read, it's definitely in line with his past games. I really wish he'd just suck it up and hire a competent writer. It's such a shame to see his great ideas unable to realise their full potential due to poor writing, pacing, etc.

Are you playing on PC? It's pretty bad consoles, or maybe it's just bad for me as my hard drive is near full.

Its cool to hate on David Cage, just like its cool to hate on SWTOR, QTEs, and story telling in video games.

Hard to deny that he's not the best writer and his games often suffer because he insists on writing for them himself. If he could swallow his pride and hire a competent writer as TT have done, his games would be as good as TWD and this in terms of pacing, dialogue, etc.

Alison

Banned
judging by your posts, you are not even halfway through beyond.

I'm not. And I've not taken one minute of it seriously, where as I've taken all the nearly 2 hours I spent with Wolf seriously and enjoyed it.

Understand I only bought Beyond to laugh at it; I see it and Heavy Rain as comedies where as TWD and Wolf are genuinely good stories. Unfortunately Beyond is making me go through long tedious action sequences rather than giving me funny poor writing at the minute.

Still waiting for Beyond, so I can't comment too much on how the story unfolds, but based on what I've read, it's definitely in line with his past games. I really wish he'd just suck it up and hire a competent writer. It's such a shame to see his great ideas unable to realise their full potential due to poor writing, pacing, etc.

Are you playing on PC? It's pretty bad consoles, or maybe it's just bad for me as my hard drive is near full.

Hard to deny that he's not the best writer and his games often suffer because he insists on writing for them himself. If he could swallow his pride and hire a competent writer as TT have done, his games would be as good as TWD and this in terms of pacing, dialogue, etc.

No I'm on Xbox mate, my PC is about as useful to games as a pair of sunglasses on a bloke with no ears

Hehe. Sounds like it might be an issue with my 360 then. Guess it's time to do some house cleaning and hope that clears up the problems.

I think it's the port itself, I noticed some awful framerate issues during the first few moments of scenes being loaded like The Walking Dead. Hopefully there will be Xbox One/PS4 versions

Acti

TellTale are becoming terrific developers in my opinion, the writing and pacing is top quality.

Never going to happen but I would love them to do a Star Wars or X-Men game

A StarWars game by Telltale... Now that would be something worth of PRE-ORDER.

Squishy3

Same thing happened to me. I actually felt bad because I questioned toad and saw no other option other than to
threaten him, did that but then it gave me the option to hit him and I wasn't going to do that, kept looking around and then realized the door wasn't to leave but to investigate. I felt bad because I got a tool tip saying I scared Toad when I threatened him and it was for no reason :(

Edit: EPISODE ENDING SPOILER AND APPARENT STUFF FROM THE COMIC:
So I haven't read the comics and I am unaware of how things work in this world other than what was presented to me in this episode but it is my understanding that Snow is in the comics (not dead) and Faith was hinted to be not dead since the mirror couldn't give you a location. With that being said, are there some type of magical enchantments in this lore? Like could those have been either not heads at all or just someone else's heads made to look like Faith and Snow?
Comic and Episode 1 spoilers:
It's very plausible. The story behind Fables is the popularity of their tales determines how hard they are to kill. Hence why the Woodsman is still alive despite getting the crap beaten out of him, falling onto pavement, and receiving an axe to the brain. If Snow White's head isn't false, she might be able to survive getting her head chopped off. Who knows.

Hehe. Sounds like it might be an issue with my 360 then. Guess it's time to do some house cleaning and hope that clears up the problems.
I mean it's also 7 year old technology and games are being built with much more powerful technology than what's in a 360 or PS3 now. Games like GTA, AC, etc. all can't keep steady framerates. I'd argue it isn't as big a deal in something like The Wolf Among Us though since it's not as heavily gameplay oriented like those games. Loading taking forever would definitely be the fault of your HDD, though.

Sorian

Banned
Comic and Episode 1 spoilers:
It's very plausible. The story behind Fables is the popularity of their tales determines how hard they are to kill. Hence why the Woodsman is still alive despite getting the crap beaten out of him, falling onto pavement, and receiving an axe to the brain. If Snow White's head isn't false, she might be able to survive getting her head chopped off. Who knows.

Mmm, true. I did read that someone had said that earlier in the thread. I'd think that
seperation of body would be enough to do anyone in but I'm not too versed with this universe yet and it sounds like it is unprecedented so I guess we will wait and see. I expect the big shocker at the end of episode 2 to either be Snow or Faith knocking on Big's door.

Sorian

Banned
Aw man that fight at the end.
I was smiling from ear to ear when I ripped dude's arm off. Shit was so awesome.

Bro, have some class
Gotta walk away like the bigger man than pay for your whiskey when you go up to the bar........or try to pay for it and realize you gave all of your money to faith at the beginning of the chapter

moozoom

So, they didn't bother to make this game playable on azerty keyboards, same as the walking dead. Great.
Anyone know if there's some other convoluted way to remap the controls, in a config file or something?

Same problem here... game is UNPLAYABLE with an azerty keyboard due to the frequent quicktime events. From what I read in this thread, joypad is not an option either, great.

Mdk7

Just beat the game and... wow, i really really love these guys.
I enjoyed the atmosphere so much, i can't wait for the next one!

I have one single complaint towards TellTale: they screwed up terribly Jurassic Park, probably my favorite franchise ever. D:

FluxWaveZ

Bro, have some class
Gotta walk away like the bigger man than pay for your whiskey when you go up to the bar........or try to pay for it and realize you gave all of your money to faith at the beginning of the chapter

I agree with
being the bigger man, but fuck trying to pay for that after the way they were treating Bigby. I just told her she didn't see any of that.

iammeiam

Bro, have some class

Ultimate classy option is
walking away, then telling Holly Crane will pay for the damages. And your whiskey. Be the bigger man, see Holly gets paid, and sticking to Ichabod for being so shitty to Snow! Win/win/win!

Sorian

Banned
Ultimate classy option is
walking away, then telling Holly Crane will pay for the damages. And your whiskey. Be the bigger man, see Holly gets paid, and sticking to Ichabod for being so shitty to Snow! Win/win/win!

Mmm, wise words. Might have that in my back-up file.

I'm not. And I've not taken one minute of it seriously, where as I've taken all the nearly 2 hours I spent with Wolf seriously and enjoyed it.

Understand I only bought Beyond to laugh at it; I see it and Heavy Rain as comedies where as TWD and Wolf are genuinely good stories. Unfortunately Beyond is making me go through long tedious action sequences rather than giving me funny poor writing at the minute.

WOW at this post.

Double D

PSA to those thinking of buying on steam, do yourself a favor and visit the BST thread first. This game is a steal for $14.

You literally bought a $60 game just to laugh at it and ridicule it on forums it seems. Just surprised what people will spend money on for such a thing as opposed to actually buying something to enjoy it. Whatever floats your boat man.

it was obvious his game was either rented or borrowed or being watched on youtube.

Could you imagine a Telltale/Cage collaboration?!

would be awesome. cage's weak point is certainly dialogue, but the scenarios/storyboards he comes up with are certainly better than the scenarios in twd.

dialogue from telltale, scenarios/events from cage. beyond, so far, has scenarios that are very different from each other and are very unique.

aborath

Neo Member
Slight comic book spoiler:

The one gripe that I did have was
Snow's portrayal. In the comic, she's a headstrong, take-no-BS character. Snow shouldn't need anyone to defend her; if anything, she should've been the one to tell Ichabod to fuck off. Then again, in the comic she's also Director of Operations, not an assistant. Perhaps WAU takes place earlier in the continuity, before she's established herself. I dunno.

Um72FAi.jpg

Loved this art style for the Fables book.

Squishy3

Slight comic book spoiler:

The one gripe that I did have was
Snow's portrayal. In the comic, she's a headstrong, take-no-BS character. Snow shouldn't need anyone to defend her; if anything, she should've been the one to tell Ichabod to fuck off. Then again, in the comic she's also Director of Operations, not an assistant. Perhaps WAU takes place earlier in the continuity, before she's established herself. I dunno.
Comic spoilers for the first 25 issues or so:
During the Red Riding Hood arc Bigby busts Ichabod for treason using Cinderella as a secret agent and he talks about how Snow White ousted him out of office. This is presumably that storyline.

Arkain

Same problem here... game is UNPLAYABLE with an azerty keyboard due to the frequent quicktime events. From what I read in this thread, joypad is not an option either, great.

I managed to complete the episode by settting up a second keyboard profile in a country that uses QWERTY and then switching to the secondary language profile by pressing ALT + LEFT SHIFT while in the game.

It took some getting used to the QWERTY keys still appearing on screen, but it was otherwise playable this way.

Top Bottom