• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

monome

Really glad to see the game has good combo potential, even if the entry system to do so is a touch obtuse.

Look forward to playing it sometime next year as a double-bill with Bayo 2..

on the touchscreen, there is a dedicated section for tips/moves that is very well put together.

and Bayo's loading while fighting screen is back.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
TrustedReviews: 8/10
http://www.trustedreviews.com/the-wonderful-101_Games_review
The Wonderful 101 will be divisive. For some gamers it’s going to be one of their best games of the year, while others will find it bewildering. But get used to the weird mechanics and work your way past a few rough edges and you have a title that’s bursting with originality and vitality, that’s as exhilarating as it is occasionally frustrating. It’s far short of perfect, yet still wonderful in so many ways.

Fabrik

Banned
To those who have already finished the game, did you find the enemy encounters repetitive as written in the Edge review? Bayonetta bestiary wasn't very large and that was never a problem for me (And that game got a 10 in Edge).

NeoRausch

so "honesty-time"!

what difficulty do you guys play on? with these kind of games I would see me as... ok'ish.

I'm really thinking of starting this on "easy".

Salih

as soon as i get this game: normal difficulty or bust. i perfected the demo and i understood the concept behind it.
still ... i am ready to get my ass beat and i can't wait.

games been great so far.
only thing i don't like is the gamepad camera when you go into a building.

At first i was thinking the graphics were ok, and nothing too special.
Then i got to the first boss, the world collapsed, the camera zoomed out, and my jaw dropped.
It was stunning.
On par with god of war 3, although a very different style.
I'm surprised more reviews haven't commented on the graphics during the boss battles.

wsippel

Banned
The attention to detail is amazing. For example, check the figure collection during unlimited mode or whatever it's called (mission 1 boss fight).

Proven

Watching some let's play video and seeing some people struggle with what to do and such make me appreciate the game even more :lol:
I love how it uses your gaming knowledge and quick thinking. It was a huge part of my enjoyment of the hydra boss, for example. Everything just made sense to me right away, I immediately knew what I had to do, and it's an awesome feeling. Like your are in some sort of perfect attunement/symbiosis state with the game, you know? I don't know if that makes sense.

I've also been watching some other videos and while I admit there are a few times where I'm stumped, much of the time I can guess what to do better than the video maker.

NA wait is too long. I'm going to have to replay Bayonetta or something.

acidagfc

Played demo on Normal, felt alright.

Started Bayonetta (yup, I'm that lltp) on Normal as well. It kicked my ass :(

Will start W101 on Normal anyway. I have to try.

Hope the download is complete, when I get home from work!

Dang0

What time did it go up on the eshop for you guys? It launches on the 24th in NZ and its half past midnight but its still not up.

eXistor

I have 2 weeks off starting sunday, I have a bunch of games ready, but W101 is at the top of the list. It's gonna be a fun 2 weeks.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After messing around in the demo once more and practicing using gamepad controls w/ right stick, so far I am coming to the opinion that there seems to be nothing fundamentally broken with the game, outside the squirrely camera inside buildings. Dunno how in-depth interior action will get later in the full game.

Starting to think this game is going to mess with a lot of heads, because it appears goofy and colorful on the surface which = "casual" to many minds. It's not though and this appears to be a fundamentally hardcore experience under the hood. There's a learning curve worthy of the term.

The interesting part is that thinking about how the combat flows, especially summoning simultaneous Unite Morphs in rapid succession to keep the entire party engaged, I'm not sure there's a wholly better way of handling it than the glyph drawing system. Combat flow is built around it, and I am thinking the touch screen really is a red herring that's going to make some think a "contrived" gameplay system was designed to force touch screen usage. In fact, it's starting to get fun drawing glyphs . To be fair that doesn't mean everyone's going to like it, no game mechanic has universal appeal.

So far it still looks like Okami Overdrive Turbo that was designed around a twin stick control system more than anything else.

monome

I've been saying that since I first played the demo. Some people compare it to Pikmin or Viewtiful Joe, but Okami and Bayonetta are the two games most similar to this one.

okami for the more grounded gameplay and sense of exploration.
bayonetta for the non stop action/combos.

then W101 is its own thing mostly.
DAT unite morph...

Fantastic! :)

Rising was rushed.

W101 is clearly more polished, whatever you're looking at.

NeoRausch

The miiverse W101 community now has a special Highscore sub-community.

I guess that's why the score upload didn't work before.

.... wait.... highscore community... they opened Pandora's box! :O

edit:

the posts are even tagged with difficulty and level names. easy to compare then.

Get your e-peen out!

Fabrik

Banned

edit:

the posts are even tagged with difficulty and level names. easy to compare then.

Get your e-peen out!

Excellent! I will be able to post my plastic statues of shame.

Frodo

edit:

Get your e-peen out!

This is awesome! :D

Dang0

Up now in NZ, including discount, downloading now, though I though it was only 10 gigs when its actually 13.

Dr.Hadji

To those who have already finished the game, did you find the enemy encounters repetitive as written in the Edge review? Bayonetta bestiary wasn't very large and that was never a problem for me (And that game got a 10 in Edge).

If you have as much trouble with even controlling the game as the Edge review made it seem like they had, then I kind of toss everything they said about the game that directly relates to controls (basically all gameplay comments) out the window. When you can't even control the game well, you're relegated the a level of play that really prevents you from much of the depth the game can offer. And when you have that more surface level view of the game its likely the nuances of enemy placement, combination, damage output, level variation, ect. would be lost on you.

Not saying it couldn't be a problem. But control problems can really color your experience.

G.O.O.

Got it, started on easy, currently getting used to it

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's awesome. The camera can go fuck itself though.

Anyone knows how to get these guys calling for help near the end of the first level (not the bus one) ?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If you have as much trouble with even controlling the game as the Edge review made it seem like they had, then I kind of toss everything they said about the game that directly relates to controls (basically all gameplay comments) out the window. When you can't even control the game well, you're relegated the a level of play that really prevents you from much of the depth the game can offer. And when you have that more surface level view of the game its likely the nuances of enemy placement, combination, damage output, level variation, ect. would be lost on you.

Not saying it couldn't be a problem. But control problems can really color your experience.

I agree. I mean to put it in perspective people said Bayonetta was repetitive as well.

Some people just don't see the potential for variety and creativity in these games. They just see games about punching monsters are all more or less the same game.

Yeeees, more for Team Rightstick. Between that being the preferred method to play the game, and the interior Gamepad sections with that really close squirrely gyro camera control being the worst part of the demo, Gamepad lookin' kinda superfluous right now...as usual...

Shahadan

Not really, but the bestiary isn't large either. The game introduces one new enemy often enough for me. that said, toward the end when you get multiple turtles, dragons, or wolves at once, it gets irritating, since they can be hard to beat if you don't know what to do. I guess this feeling comes from that.

Yeeees, more for Team Rightstick. Between that being the preferred method to play the game, and the interior Gamepad sections with that really close squirrely gyro camera control being the worst part of the demo, Gamepad lookin' kinda superfluous right now...as usual...
Yeah well that's one of the best ideas in the game and there are quite a lot of those sections. They're awesome and control well. too bad for you!

I am a KIWI currently in Seattle. I have my Pal Wii U with me. I am on a satellite internet connection and can't get into the eShop is it region locked? Has any one had success using a VPN to fake another countries IP address?

I need me some wonderful!

Gambit

by Jove, I've got it!

But now my friends want to watch Elysium tonight.

What to do? Go with friends or make 101 new ones?

The game actually has pretty severe framerate issues during battles. It's very evident once you're doing the loading screen combat (which runs at a solid 60fps) and notice the contrast in framerates compared to the story mode stages. It really chugs along quite a bit. However, your hits have so much weight behind them, in part due to hit-pausing that it doesn't really matter for the gameplay per se, and that's coming from someone who's used to 120fps and is really sensitive to the issue.

It's not worse than PS3 Bayonetta, that's for sure.

sweet-baby6bljy.gif

hey-babym5z5s.gif

Saur sure is good at making this game look like a piece of cake.

Living in NA is causing me a lot of suffering right about now.
(gif should be on every page)

Was there a reason given as to why NA had to wait a month for the release?

Top Bottom