• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

CrisKre

The amount of awesome content and little details in this game boggles the mind. 20 hours in and I'm still revisiting missions and finding secrets I missed the 5 other times I played them.

Kamiya made a love letter to gamers.

NeoRausch

Well look at what just arrived at Mr.weirds doorstep!

XZcmwXV.jpg

this thing is godsent!! packed with infos about ALL secrets, enemy weaknesses, boss tactics, how to unlock stuff, maps, fighting tactics, scoreboards to know what you need for pure platinum and how to get them scores,,,, hell it even comes with an online code to unlock a interactive trasure map on the prima-site.

for a game like this....MUST HAVE!

IT'S WONDERFUL!

JoeFenix

Oh boy, decided to finally check out Hard mode and after getting Pure Platinum on the prologue I was thinking it wasn't going to be that bad at all. I was wrong.

The requirements on some of the missions are mental, you think you aced a section and you get a silver on time and a gold on combo. VERY strict, it's fun as hell but definitely exhausting. This game is going to be brutal to max out, I can't imagine how bad some missions will get later on....

I have prologue and 1-A down on hard atleast... It's a start! Slight gripe, I unlocked the rocket pod and now it activates when I draw circles for some reason. It happens every once in a while and it's pretty annoying. Hopefully I can find a work around, push comes to shove I could always disable it in the menu but I like it, it's pretty powerful and can stun enemies really quickly.

Rehynn

this thing is godsent!! packed with infos about ALL secrets, enemy weaknesses, boss tactics, how to unlock stuff, maps, fighting tactics, scoreboards to know what you need for pure platinum and how to get them scores,,,, hell it even comes with an online code to unlock a interactive trasure map on the prima-site.

IT'S WONDERFUL!

Damn, that's impressive.

Frodo

IT'S WONDERFUL!

I kind of want one now... :~

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

IT'S WONDERFUL!
Your description threw over the edge, I ordered it. Kinda feel dirty lol.

Mistouze

hehehe, if you really like the game this will be a perfevt purcase!
My game of the year so far! I usually scour gamefaqs for stuff like this but seeing how there must be 25 people playing it... This guide will help me with heart fragments and hidden objects I'm missing.

NeoRausch

Oh, I don't know, something truly "nuts":)

I'm only at the beginning of Pure Platinum-ing Normal, so I'm interested in everything that lies ahead.

let's say Operation 2-C on Normal then:

Time: 19:00
Combo: 7000
Damage: 0

Can I ask about the Operation 005-C on Hard?

Please and thank you! :p

TIme: 10:00
Combo:32.000
Damage: 0

please mind that these are only the overall goals. the guide also lists the goals for every mission.

TnK

Guys, should we be concernced if this game bombs, while arguably it is the best game of this year?

Will Kamiya and Platinum make more games like this?

I imagine it must be heart breaking for the team to pour so much into a game like this, only to see it do bad.

NeoRausch

Guys, should we be concernced if this game bombs, while arguably it is the best game of this year?

I imagine it must be heart breaking for the team to pour so much into a game like this, only to see it do bad.

his game will bomb

kamiya will make games like this

he knows the feel

Neff

It's getting overwhelmingly positive feedback from the kind of players who are receptive to this kind of game, the kind of players PG are themselves and the kind of players PG make games for. Inaba has said that he may look at trends outside of Japan for future titles, but I think it's fairly obvious that this stuff is in their blood.

Also I strongly believe that this game will enjoy an ongoing renaissance as new Wii U owners pick it up. It's just too fucking good to ever fade into obscurity.

D-e-f-

Banned

All their games bomb (unless they have MGS slapped onto the box). They keep making them. All is well.

This is definitely in the running for my game of the year. It's just a pure videogame, doesn't always hold your hand, lets you figure some things out on your own leading to experimentation... this is how games should be made. We've gotten so much interactive movie bullshit and cover shooters and so on that it has seriously degraded my memory of truly great game design, and as such it took me a long while to finally warm up to this. I would die and feel like it's the game's fault, but in hindsight it was me failing to grasp the mechanics and failing to experiment, but I kept on and kept on and I feel like I'm getting better and better at it.

In that sense it truly feels like an old school game, you know back when we weren't a bunch of pussies and NES games were punishing us left and right for being insolent, incompetent little shits. Platinum should really get some kind of classic franchise like Star Fox, Metroid, or Castlevania because god damn, they could annihilate it. I didn't like Metal Gear Rising at all, but this game has put them back on the map for me and has reinstated my trust in this developer.

Does anyone actually like 007-A? If you do you are a bad person.

I've warmed up more to 007-A. Its got a unique look, and tries to make some interesting challenges with the 10-man team limits or all the platforming.

008 is the relative stinker of the bunch, and the one that feels the most like filler. Reused stage assets from the first two levels, for a bunch of rehashed easy fights, with a boss that reuses gimmicks from earlier. Meh.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
OK, I ordered the official guide. There's a first time for everything

Fandangox

Oh well... How can anyone finish it in 10 minutes is beyond me! :p

Thanks!

This is what I do

Big Unite Hammer to the robot's head, drops its Health really fast.

Once inside the robot use a big unite bomb to get rid of all the little enemies quickly, juggle the slightly bigger one for points.

Third phase is pretty much "on-rail" so there's nothing you can do to make it faster except how fast you kill the 2 sets of turtles that come your way. Just use the laser to kill the pyramid-looking things if you don't want to save it for the fight.

Punch Out! Part depends a bit on luck, if he stars throwing fireballs at you is gonna take some more time. Just make sure to dodge every attack and quickly uppercut him to gain stars quickier.

Once inside Gah Unite Bomb Laambo's brother to slow him down and use Unite Fist/Hammer on his back. You could also use the Whip to attack from far, it seems to pass his sword defense.

After that the remaining section's time is set so I think that's all.

doraemoe

Just finished this game on normal, man, it's the biggest surprise this year, this is the first game I've played that have a incredible presentation and at the same time have a deep gameplay. I just lost my word on how to describe this.

Salih

This is what I do
[...]
Once inside Gah Unite Bomb Laambo's brother to slow him down and use Unite Fist/Hammer on his back. You could also use the Whip to attack from far, it seems to pass his sword defense.

the fastest way to kill him is using Unite-Bomb+Attack Liner. He dies in a couple of seconds.

Fandangox

the fastest way to kill him is using Unite-Bomb+Attack Liner. He dies in a couple of seconds.

[So that's indeed intended to happen. It has happened to me in the Laambo and his Brother fights, but I thought it was some weird glitch. I don't know if you would still want to do this for PP runs since you also need to gain combo score though.

popyea

That's the fastest way to kill everyone. So lame. I don't want the majority of PP strategies to rely on that. Otherwise what's the point of developing your skills and understanding of the combat?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just finished this game on normal, man, it's the biggest surprise this year, this is the first game I've played that have a incredible presentation and at the same time have a deep gameplay. I just lost my word on how to describe this.
ONM said it best:
The sheer, idea-packed throb of the thing means this game will never be revolutionary in the way that Mario was, a king that invites pretenders. It's too weird, too postmodern and perhaps too packed for its own good in places, but that's not to say it won't be copied. The Wonderful 101 is a perfect example of how to turn tens, even hundreds of ideas into a single cohesive whole, a mass of interlocking parts spinning around the player like the group they're controlling onscreen, working together and strengthening each other. It's a beautiful thing and one you rarely see on any console, never mind the Wii U. This is a brilliant action game. This is a brilliant superhero story. This is a brilliant Platinum title. This is game design, united.

Salih

That's the fastest way to kill everyone. So lame. I don't want the majority of PP strategies to rely on that. Otherwise what's the point of developing your skills and understanding of the combat?

No. You can't use it on everyone. There is a reason why it is in this game. It is not a glitch.

@Fandangox
the combo in that part doesn't matter for your overall score. i still got platinum on combo using that technique.

popyea

No. You can't use it on everyone. There is a reason why it is in this game. It is not a glitch.

@Fandangox
the combo in that part doesn't matter for your overall score. i still got platinum on combo using that technique.

What's the reason? I figured it was unintentional, and not actually a purposeful part of the combat design.

Fandangox

@Fandangox

Even though it only happened with those two, I still thought it was some sort of unintended bug.

Well I guess it makes sense that is not necessary to use it on 005C since there are plenty of ways to build combo score there, but it is still more satisfying to not use that.

ahm998

i+know+that+feel.jpg

This game really awesome and it's really deserve more from Wii U owners.

Fandangox

Now that I think about it, it might be in intentional. Has anyone tried that trick on
Those Laambo-like enemies with the saw to see if it works with them? I thought it was weird that there was a Kahkoo-Regah where the objective was to beat that enemy alone with a time limit, but you couldn't use Unite Bomb..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK guys, I need help. This is a game I want so much to enjoy but it is doing everything possible to push me to hate it. I'm absolutely hating the game at this point after just the first real mission and turned it off in disgust.

With something like Bayonetta I felt as if I could handle the challenge but I just don't feel in control here. Not yet, anyways, and that's what I need help with. Any tips? I feel as if blocking comes out too late (can't react properly), managing all of the moves annoying, and the amount of stuff on screen overly distracting. There's just too much happening all the time and it becomes difficult to react to larger enemies especially when I feel like my reactions aren't as reliable as I would like (mainly blocking).

I cannot stand the way your crew scatters when you take a hit. I find this obscenely frustrating in a way that I almost can't explain. The missions are way too long as well and just seem to drag on and on and on.

On top of everything the framerate is HORRIBLE and drops below 30 fps during every big battle. I cannot believe how low it goes. It is almost as awful as Bayonetta was on PS3. Seriously, it's that bad and it's completely distracting me as it's harder for me to ignore the flaws when the most difficult fights start to run like shit.

I normally love challenging games but what's presented here is just not working for me. I'm not having fun with it. Due to region coding I had to import this from the US as well so it cost me quite a bit just to get my hands on it. I'm starting to think I made a big mistake here.

If anyone has any tips that could help me enjoy this I would much appreciate it. I'm not ready to give up yet but I'm not having fun either. :\

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
On top of everything the framerate is HORRIBLE and drops below 30 fps during every big battle. I cannot believe how low it goes. It is almost as awful as Bayonetta was on PS3. Seriously, it's that bad and it's completely distracting me as it's harder for me to ignore the flaws when the most difficult fights start to run like shit.

If anyone has any tips that could help me enjoy this I would much appreciate it. I'm not ready to give up yet but I'm not having fun either. :\

Dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps etc.
Today 04:25 pm

Try watching some youtube tutorials? Saur's are excellent!

D-e-f-

Banned
OK guys, I need help. This is a game I want so much to enjoy but it is doing everything possible to push me to hate it. I'm absolutely hating the game at this point after just the first real mission and turned it off in disgust.

With something like Bayonetta I felt as if I could handle the challenge but I just don't feel in control here. Not yet, anyways, and that's what I need help with. Any tips? I feel as if blocking comes out too late (can't react properly), managing all of the moves annoying, and the amount of stuff on screen overly distracting. There's just too much happening all the time and it becomes difficult to react to larger enemies especially when I feel like my reactions aren't as reliable as I would like (mainly blocking).

I cannot stand the way your crew scatters when you take a hit. I find this obscenely frustrating in a way that I almost can't explain. The missions are way too long as well and just seem to drag on and on and on.

I normally love challenging games but what's presented here is just not working for me. I'm not having fun with it. Due to region coding I had to import this from the US as well so it cost me quite a bit just to get my hands on it. I'm starting to think I made a big mistake here.

Are you playing a different game? First real mission? You mean the one after the level from the demo? Did you buy Unite Spring to evade? When I hit ZL, Unite Guts comes out instantly. Are you looking out for enemy tells to get out the way? Do you use Unite Attack? Did you watch the multitude of Saur videos which should give you plenty of stuff to try out? Where did you see framedrops? I'm not far in either and have had zero issues with the framerate. Especially nothing going sub-30.

Sidenote: You didn't have to import it. Could've bought it off the eShop.

Mistouze

Regarding making sense of all the shit happening on screen and knowing where your leader is, look for the little colored circle or the flame effect surrounding him. After a while it will click with you and everything will make perfect sense while anyone not having played the game would be confused. Pressing Y to have them cling together around the leader helps too.

As for the little guys laying on the ground when they get hit, it's in the game's systems. Your 100 dudes are a ressource you have to manage in order to be able to bring up the biggest weapons, either you go walk to them to wake them up, you can use the wonder liner or you can just wait a few seconds for them to come back.

Ummmm, no. The only times it goes under 30 is during a few of the cinematics. The rest of the time it varies between 30 and 60 fps. TRUTHFACT (I think).

Frodo

Coming of Bayonetta did the same thing to me. In Bayonetta we dodge at the last possible minute. Here we need to block when we get the visual/audio clues and wait. Example: if you are fighting the Tank, when it makes the sound it is going to attack block. Don't wait for it to start moving closer to you. Same thing when it is about to shoot the projectiles. When you hear the sound: block. It needs a different timing than Bayonetta. You will have to readjust.

If you are having problems with coordinating everything that is going on, the only possible advice I have to give you is: keep on playing. You get used after a while. Remember you can use L and R to adjust the camera. I personally like to play it zoomed out. Makes it easier to see everything. Also, look for the ring that indicates where the leader is, and not for the mass of people as a whole. You only need to worry about the Leader.

You can use the Wonder Liner to regroup your team members. Makes it faster, instead of running close to every single member.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The only time the framerate was noticably bad for me was some of the cinematics in 008(I guess with the damaged suits and all the effects going on in the background combined, game was visibly slower than some of the dialogue)

Otherwise while not the most stable, the framerate is always playable to me. But I mean I can play 360 and PS3 bayo interchangeably and not give a shit

Top Bottom