• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Shadow780

Is there any tips on getting Criticals at the end of a hold note with a slider note in FMS?

Using the analog nub I'm moving the hold note up and down, at the end of the hold there may be a note that I have to move nub diagonally and since I'm still holding the nub up or down it will register as the direction I'm currently holding and get a Good or Bad rating.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Is there any tips on getting Criticals at the end of a hold note with a slider note in FMS?

Using the analog nub I'm moving the hold note up and down, at the end of the hold there may be a note that I have to move nub diagonally and since I'm still holding the nub up or down it will register as the direction I'm currently holding and get a Good or Bad rating.
I use stylus... is that a tip?

Teiran

I had this problem, too, and nothing I tried gave me reliable results. I just ended up switching to stylus for every FMS.

I couldn't find a solution to this problem either. I have been using stylus exclusively because of this. The hold sections are easier with the nub but don't mean jack if you can't finish it off properly. =\

Yeah, I had to switch to stylus for FMS for that same exact reason. It's nice to have the option but it's very difficult to make that work when you're trying to move up and down at the same time. At least it's okay for BMS.

Swamped

Banned
So I've managed to gather quite a few Premium quests, still need to clear them though. I have two of the 'A nostalgic trip into a bracing fantasy', one level 75 and one level 50. I've cleared the Level 50 one (so if anyone wants it lmk). Will play through the level 75 one to see what's different about it.

The other premium quests I have are ones that give out white shards, turquoise shards and orange shards.

edit: and black shard as well...

daydream

Banned
I've gotten a lot better at handling the slides at the end of holds. The most reliable way is to to just keep holding the CirclePad in the direction you're going and then do the slide motion from there. I mean, they HAD to factor that part in so it's not like it's impossible or broken.

Obviously I can only speak for myself but I noticed that most of the times I didn't get a critical, I was botching the timing.

daydream

Banned
Thanks guys, I will stick with button mode for FMS and try to see I can figure out how to do it properly.

I look at it from this angle: The same hold + slide combo will be exponentially more difficult with touch controls the crazier the hold notes get, whereas with buttons the challenge increase will be linear.

In other words: The curvier a hold note is, the more effort you need to put in with the stylus on top of dealing with the curvature. With the CirclePad that is not the case as you're free to only focus on the binary state of 'up' or 'down' without having to overcome the distance.

At least the way I look at it, that difference really shows on Ultimate and even Expert for some songs.

Thought I was getting better beating all these Ultimate songs, but nope! Retried some of the harder ones and still brutal.

I wasn't getting better. I was just playing easier Ultimates! *cry*

Didn't expect that (Rhythmia reward spoiler?)
fight against Feral Chaos @40,000 Rhythmia. Glad they found a way to put that track back into the game.

CorvoSol

Oh man, you're telling me. I just finished a quest map that was all ultimate songs.

My party is set up well enough I can finish them, its getting the dumb bosses to appear and die that I struggle with. Such bull. I can even do Ultimate FMS okay, but BMS is pure evil.

My party is set up well enough I can finish them, its getting the dumb bosses to appear and die that I struggle with. Such bull. I can even do Ultimate FMS okay, but BMS is pure evil.
If you're having trouble getting a boss to appear on the song. You can switch it by using a gamblers spirit. Though it can give more or less satisfying results.

mrmickfran

Is it just me, or are the hold notes in FMS stages way more sensitive than they were in the first game?

One gentle move, and I get a "BAD" score.

pariah164

Aaaand got my shit wrecked. You know, for never having played that song on Extreme before, I didn't do too badly. You are not of this world.

Good match though; got the Map this time.

Anustart

Aaaand got my shit wrecked. You know, for never having played that song on Extreme before, I didn't do too badly. You are not of this world.

Good match though; got the Map this time.

I must have failed that song 10 times on Ultimate before I got an S. Amazing that you did first try.

Wazzy

Banned
This game is so damn good.

I've unlocked a few characters so far. My party is Seifer, Squall, Cloud and X-2 Yuna. I also bought Shuffle or Boogie and the level is great. The level designs for VIII are fantastic and give me major nostalgia. The Ending Theme is my favourite with the grave and Balamb Garden flying overhead.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I got like almost the exact flip side of that earlier map with the huge amount of Ultimate FMS, though this one is all BMS
and all basic score

suzu

This game is so damn good.

I've unlocked a few characters so far. My party is Seifer, Squall, Cloud and X-2 Yuna. I also bought Shuffle or Boogie and the level is great. The level designs for VIII are fantastic and give me major nostalgia. The Ending Theme is my favourite with the grave and Balamb Garden flying overhead.

Yeah, this game gives nice fuzzy nostalgic feelings~

I wish they had The Landing or at least added it for dlc... Also missing Liberi Fatali.

bobohoro

I look at it from this angle: The same hold + slide combo will be exponentially more difficult with touch controls the crazier the hold notes get, whereas with buttons the challenge increase will be linear.

In other words: The curvier a hold note is, the more effort you need to put in with the stylus on top of dealing with the curvature. With the CirclePad that is not the case as you're free to only focus on the binary state of 'up' or 'down' without having to overcome the distance.

At least the way I look at it, that difference really shows on Ultimate and even Expert for some songs.

Tried it. Good tip, holding the slide until the last moment and then hitting the directional note works perfectly. But it just feels off somehow, especially on longer holdnotes, but fast up/down-waves are way easier with the 3DS-nub.

Roubjon

I see what you're saying but you can Master either control scheme. It's just a matter of getting a feel of how far you have to move your stylus, which can be seen as more work for some, but for me I always feel way more accurate with touch controls. I'm sure I could get used to button controls if I wanted to though, but why bother at this point?

Played for a bit last night before going to bed, did a bunch on Basic to get used to it again.

So good. Button controls feel nice so at least I can play lying down now, lol

Top Bottom