• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Griss

Played for a bit last night before going to bed, did a bunch on Basic to get used to it again.

So good. Button controls feel nice so at least I can play lying down now, lol

B-but lying down is the best way to play with the stylus! What do you mean?

I am surprised at how good the button scheme feels, though. I'm just better and more practised with the stylus.

Anustart

I am surprised at how good the button scheme feels, though. I'm just better and more practised with the stylus.

I'm too used to stylus. Buttons feel like some weird tentacle monster touching me in my no zone.

Dunno, never felt comfortable playing with the stylus lying down. Always had to be sitting up and have the 3DS propped on something. The stand you got with Kid Icarus was a godsend for this.

So, is there a method for switching the lead party member quickly? Because I've been constantly going back and forth between Cloud and Tidus for every Battle or Field song by going into the party member menu and choosing one in the spot of the other, very cumbersome.

frequency

I wanted to like the buttons but FMS is impossible on Ultimate with the slide pad for me. Even on Basic it is too inconsistent with holds that have the arrows at the end. It ruins my sense of timing since I have to do the arrow later than I expect.

ohlawd

So, is there a method for switching the lead party member quickly? Because I've been constantly going back and forth between Cloud and Tidus for every Battle or Field song by going into the party member menu and choosing one in the spot of the other, very cumbersome.

nope

I would have liked having sets I could switch to like MH. Pain in the ass doing medleys since there's a save screen before and after editing the party.

jackal27

Banned
The XIV soundtrack is pretty uniformly fantastic.

Yup. I love that soundtrack. XI was a pleasant surprise for me as well even though I never played the game. XIV:ARR gives me hope for the future of the series. I hope more of that team gets to have bigger roles in future titles.

they used the Japanese version for a lot of shit

makes me sad :(

Some of the songs would have been thrown off if they used the English versions though because of the rhythm of the notes. When you use different words, it changes the rhythm. Also, when you buy official versions of any of these soundtracks, the lyrics are in Japanese. Personally the only loss for me is the song from Crystal Chronicles. Miss my English lyrics.

ohlawd

yes I understand that. reprogramming a few songs for the 50 people who are buying the game in the west (that's us!!) ain't cost effective.

the english versions for Crystal Chronicles' OP and ED tho. I know someone who's playing the game and damn, the first dungeon music, Mushroom Forest, Moshet's Manor... too good.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The XIV soundtrack is pretty uniformly fantastic.

It really is, and Curtain Call got me to resub to XIV after being reminded once again how great the music was. Playing some of the new patched content in XIV since launch(HM dungeons) has also proven that even the new music stands tall with the selected older tracks chosen in this game.

Oh and it is nice that the older games include the classic chiptunes, but some of those songs just repeat in 15 second loops for minutes on end, a real bummer especially considering symphonic remixes made for some of the remakes greatly enhances the themes and would fit better in this format. Not sure if any are DLC, but the big one that sticks out is FF2's overworld theme. A beautiful track that is limited in the Famicom game but far more fleshed out in Origins PSX and better suited.

The more I play this the more I like it. Quest medley mode beats the heck out of Chaos Shrine in the original Theatrythm. I also am finding my affinity to characters to be greater in this one.

I was all ready to consider Dark Souls 2 my GOTY, but this one is starting to become something quite amazing. It also gives me a massive nostalgia rush that makes me reconfirm just how much I like the FF series as a whole.

I don't think I'll be able to play much tonight, so I'm curious: when do you unlock StreetPass, DLC, and Versus mode? I just unlocked Quest Medley.

zroid

Banned
I don't think I'll be able to play much tonight, so I'm curious: when do you unlock StreetPass, DLC, and Versus mode? I just unlocked Quest Medley.

Not sure about Versus, but I think StreetPass is unlocked after you complete your first Quest Medley. And DLC should be available from the start, I think?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Some of the songs would have been thrown off if they used the English versions though because of the rhythm of the notes. When you use different words, it changes the rhythm. Also, when you buy official versions of any of these soundtracks, the lyrics are in Japanese. Personally the only loss for me is the song from Crystal Chronicles. Miss my English lyrics.

Same here.

Morning Sky > Sound of the Wind.

Not sure about Versus, but I think StreetPass is unlocked after you complete your first Quest Medley. And DLC should be available from the start, I think?

You have to unlock it. I don't remember when exactly, though.

One of Today's Top Hits was Final Battle from Final Fantasy IV. I took advantage of it with my FFIV team.
10689419_870312509647927_4439237620628267965_n.jpg

EDIT: Got another one with FFIV's The Airship, getting me 370 Rhythmia.

rataven

I finally started playing this and it's so fun! I'm not very good with the stylus though. I've switched to buttons and things have improved. Marginally. I think I'm just bad, haha.

When are you able to fully change your party though? Started with Cloud, Cecil, Terra, and Lightning, but I want to boot Lightning for Bartz but don't have the option to? Only other character choice is Zack.

Wazzy

Banned
I just unlocked the special CC tribute video. It was cute going through all Final Fantasy's and mixing their well known tunes into the main theme. The ending with all the FF couples was also adorable.

JPS Kai

I finally started playing this and it's so fun! I'm not very good with the stylus though. I've switched to buttons and things have improved. Marginally. I think I'm just bad, haha.

When are you able to fully change your party though? Started with Cloud, Cecil, Terra, and Lightning, but I want to boot Lightning for Bartz but don't have the option to? Only other character choice is Zack.

You can do that as soon as you have shards to unlock other characters. Before every song, you can Edit Party and switch out any characters you've unlocked.

I play hybrid, using the L button for tapping/ holds and the stylus for any swiping.

SoulUnison

Banned
Wait, I just got a notice that I've "viewed all Extended Versions of EMS scenes."

So... I've already unlocked every EMS, then? There was a disappointingly low number of them.

Is the Curtain Call Special Medley the last song you unlock?

Anustart

Wait, I just got a notice that I've "viewed all Extended Versions of EMS scenes."

So... I've already unlocked every EMS, then? There was a disappointingly low number of them.

If EMS > 0, then no, there's actually too many!

Griss

I was super disappointed that they removed the old ones. The old ones were far better, being as they were from the mainline number series games.

Damn you, limited cartridge space...

Ugh. "The Glittering City of Yusnaan" is annoying me. I only need the last bar at Expert level to get the crown. I've made sure to get crits near the last part but it's still eluding me. Anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

Top Bottom