• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Robin64

Lavos!

zlCfzS6OXaUegAqKs9

And a small Frog cameo..

zlCfzS6Ntskxso1DuY

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone interested in doing a GAF High Score Challenge? It can be a weekly thing. We can nominate a couple of tracks, maybe a BMS and a FMS track, and we can post Miiverse screen shots of our high scores.

Anyone who still plays regularly want to give this a shot?

EDIT: Screw it, I'm just going to go ahead and organize something together and if people want to participate they can! I'll probably do four different songs: a set of DLC and a set of non-DLC, BMS and FMS stages. I'll post what stages we are playing this week and type up a rule set. It'll be fun!

Celegus

Anyone interested in doing a GAF High Score Challenge? It can be a weekly thing. We can nominate a couple of tracks, maybe a BMS and a FMS track, and we can post Miiverse screen shots of our high scores.

Anyone who still plays regularly want to give this a shot?

EDIT: Screw it, I'm just going to go ahead and organize something together and if people want to participate they can! I'll probably do four different songs: a set of DLC and a set of non-DLC, BMS and FMS stages. I'll post what stages we are playing this week and type up a rule set. It'll be fun!

I'm down for that! Someone's gotta bring up the rear after all. I don't have any DLC, so I can only do the base songs. But now that I have every character unlocked, I don't feel like I have to constantly be doing quest medleys.

Zhao_Yun

I'd be in as well although I am also not that good.
Would be open for some versus matches as well if anyone is interested. DOn#t see so many players online nowadays except for Japanese players with a 9999 rating...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm down for that! Someone's gotta bring up the rear after all. I don't have any DLC, so I can only do the base songs. But now that I have every character unlocked, I don't feel like I have to constantly be doing quest medleys.

I'm hoping by including a DLC section it will encourage people to buy it! It's only a buck per song!

I think I'll post the competition tomorrow that way I can include the newest DLC songs. Do yall think we should have a new thread for this, or just keep it going in this one?

Zhao_Yun

I'm hoping by including a DLC section it will encourage people to buy it! It's only a buck per song!

I think I'll post the competition tomorrow that way I can include the newest DLC songs. Do yall think we should have a new thread for this, or just keep it going in this one?

Yeah, it's only one buck per song but with the amount of good DLC songs they release it could become very expensive in the long term :p Shame they don't offer a Song DLC Bundle similar to Hatsune Miku Pdf 2 where you pay a certain amount and get all released and upcoming DLC songs in the future.

I think keeping it in this thread would be fine? Don't think there would be enough participants to warrant a new thread.

Celegus

I know it's only a dollar, but there's still a ton of songs I haven't played yet. And considering I bought the game for $20, it's a bit of an odd value proposition. I haven't looked through the store yet to see if there's any I really want, though Liberi Fatali might be one of them.

I'd think just this thread would be fine, it's not a very busy thread so I don't think it would get lost.

I'm not sure high score challenges really work on this. Unless you choose the harder end of Ultimate Scores, you're going to just see loads of 9999999 scores and no real winners.

Robin64

I guess think of it as less of a leaderboard thing then. More like we have four songs and a week to get 9999999 or as close as possible. Then we can discuss the songs in a bit more detail.

Like a book club. ;)

linko9

I guess think of it as less of a leaderboard thing then. More like we have four songs and a week to get 9999999 or as close as possible. Then we can discuss the songs in a bit more detail.

Like a book club. ;)

I think it could be fun, but it's probably best to stipulate that we just take our first, cold run through, and rely on honesty.

Celegus

Like a book club. ;)

I think we'd have to play on Ultimate since Expert/Basic are very easy to get perfects on. I'm pretty impressed if I end up with an SS on most Ultimate songs. Except something like Force Your Way, which I'm happy if I even finish.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think we'd have to play on Ultimate since Expert/Basic are very easy to get perfects on. I'm pretty impressed if I end up with an SS on most Ultimate songs. Except something like Force Your Way, which I'm happy if I even finish.

I perfect chained Force Your Way once, but it was during a multiplayer match, so I didn't get credit for it. At least my friend saw it happen, it made him quit playing for the night. :3

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Looking forward to the Amazon box with this in it waiting for me when I get home from work. I hope I like it!

Quick question about characters: do any characters have specific stats that might make them more attractive to pick? Or are they simply there for fan service? I have no attachment to any character, really. I recognize many of them simply because FF characters are all over the internet, but other than that I have no motivation to choose anyone in particular.
A thing to bear in mind is stats can be boosted in this game using cards that drop. So outside of stats are skills which also need consideration as the scrolls you find don't cover everything.

In terms of BMS high strength characters with focus and added cut do fairly good constant damage (Auron and Cloud are good examples) while mages with dualcast will do more occasional shots of very big damage (someone like Terra can singlehandedly knock out multiple enemies in a row on a basic score by stacking dualcast and trance with her strongest spell).

For Ultimate songs and when you are less experienced having a or defensive cleric sort of character is a must as it gives you a safety net. Cosmos and Garnet are good examples of constant healing over time (Paeon and regen respectively and have skills to boost those) there but far from the only choice (Cecil is more traditional here with thing like cure and protect). The problem with having too many defensive characters is you lose offense in BMS and in FMS will lose distance (both of which mean less EXP at the end of the song) so finding a balance keeps the game enjoyable.

My BMS strategy tends be 3 level 99 characters while for FMS I'll take one or two level 99s in the lead. I should point out I have the EXP hound* ability on every character (it only took about 200 playthrough of a song where the scroll drops**) and the most any single character can get per song is 9999 EXP (level 99 is 65535 EXP). If you don't have EXP hound this will make leveling up very slow.

*-At the end of the stage, only characters with this ability split the total earned experience. Otherwise, EXP is split by 4 (max per stage is 39996).
**-
The Chaos Shrine - TFFCC BMS Arrangement - From FF
Unlocked by earning 40000 rhythmia.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Like a book club. ;)

I've already considered this. All songs will be on Ultimate score and I will have a tie breaker scenario if we have two or more people All-Critical a song.

I'll post all the details of the competition tomorrow. I want to include this week's DLC in the current set.

A thing to bear in mind is stats can be boosted in this game using cards that drop. So outside of stats are skills which also need consideration as the scrolls you find don't cover everything.

I'm not sure if this is a question that can be answered but I'll try...

Is there a limit to stats? I assume I can hit 999 for agility if I use the Crystarium a lot, but say I stack Wind Rhapsody on top of that which adds x to agility when you play FMS stages. Am I still capped at 999, or will it go beyond that for the duration of the FMS stage?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Is there a limit to stats? I assume I can hit 999 for agility if I use the Crystarium a lot, but say I stack Wind Rhapsody on top of that which adds x to agility when you play FMS stages. Am I still capped at 999, or will it go beyond that for the duration of the FMS stage?

I think 999 would be the natural limit for a stat. I can't imagine using an item to stack upon that would make any difference.

I think 999 would be the natural limit for a stat. I can't imagine using an item to stack upon that would make any difference.

That's my current hypothesis also, but Wind Rhapsody is a weird one.

The skill adds, say, 40 to Agility and then a further 60 to Agility in FMS stages. So I'd fully expect to lose that first 40 if I was already at 999 for the stat, but I'm curious as to what would happen to the 60 if I played an FMS. I'm not sure there's any way to find out short of actually getting someone with the skill to 999 Agility!

It would be the difference between levelling up any character to 999, and levelling up Onion Knight who has Wind Rhapsody LV1, 2 and 3.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
That's my current hypothesis also, but Wind Rhapsody is a weird one.

The skill adds, say, 40 to Agility and then a further 60 to Agility in FMS stages. So I'd fully expect to lose that first 40 if I was already at 999 for the stat, but I'm curious as to what would happen to the 60 if I played an FMS. I'm not sure there's any way to find out short of actually getting someone with the skill to 999 Agility!

It would be the difference between levelling up any character to 999, and levelling up Onion Knight who has Wind Rhapsody LV1, 2 and 3.

Man I obsessed over stats for a while when I first got into the game, but then I realized... what's the point?

If your purpose is to travel the furtherest distance during FMS, the distance relies more on your skill than your character's stats. I think after you get up to an SSS rating, it doesn't really matter how high your stat goes. The best way to get EXP, items, distance during a FMS is to play an Ultimate score perfectly.

Personally, I settled on Onion Knight being the best FMS runner with his abilities.

Kirlia

Banned
Gonna need a blood test to prove you're not a robot, robot.

Yeah, it's too bad you don't have a screencap or something. A perfect chain is believable for Force Your Way though, if you practice enough (or are maddeningly lucky).

AN ALL CRITICAL CHAIN, on the other hand...you'd have to be a rhythm god.

Agreed about SSes on Ultimate songs. It's easier to get all criticals on Expert, but I've also gotten a single Great in an otherwise all critical chain FAR too many times. Like, at least over two dozen times.

Anustart

I've already considered this. All songs will be on Ultimate score and I will have a tie breaker scenario if we have two or more people All-Critical a song.

I'll post all the details of the competition tomorrow. I want to include this week's DLC in the current set.

Damn, I'm out. Have no dlc.

In terms of BMS high strength characters with focus and added cut do fairly good constant damage (Auron and Cloud are good examples) while mages with dualcast will do more occasional shots of very big damage (someone like Terra can singlehandedly knock out multiple enemies in a row on a basic score by stacking dualcast and trance with her strongest spell).

For Ultimate songs and when you are less experienced having a or defensive cleric sort of character is a must as it gives you a safety net. Cosmos and Garnet are good examples of constant healing over time (Paeon and regen respectively and have skills to boost those) there but far from the only choice (Cecil is more traditional here with thing like cure and protect). The problem with having too many defensive characters is you lose offense in BMS and in FMS will lose distance (both of which mean less EXP at the end of the song) so finding a balance keeps the game enjoyable.

My BMS strategy tends be 3 level 99 characters while for FMS I'll take one or two level 99s in the lead. I should point out I have the EXP hound* ability on every character (it only took about 200 playthrough of a song where the scroll drops**) and the most any single character can get per song is 9999 EXP (level 99 is 65535 EXP). If you don't have EXP hound this will make leveling up very slow.

*-At the end of the stage, only characters with this ability split the total earned experience. Otherwise, EXP is split by 4 (max per stage is 39996).
**-
The Chaos Shrine - TFFCC BMS Arrangement - From FF
Unlocked by earning 40000 rhythmia.
Wow, that's actually pretty cool. This sounds like such a unique game, I'm really excited t play it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah, it's too bad you don't have a screencap or something. A perfect chain is believable for Force Your Way though, if you practice enough (or are maddeningly lucky).

I did it, I swear ;-;

It was my most played song in the original though, that probably helped.

AN ALL CRITICAL CHAIN, on the other hand...you'd have to be a rhythm god.

Now this would be truly herculean.

This sounds fun. I'm still in my SSS-all-experts run though, I haven't gotten to ultimates! I'm gonna have to speed this along.

Kirlia

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsgQq4HWWoc

On button mode no less. My thumb hurts just looking at it.

I've actually seen that before. I can't imagine doing an all critical run of that song on button mode or stylus mode. Button mode feels too unwieldy for me (although I'm used to stylus mode), and stylus mode, for that song, drains my hand's stamina really quickly, making it very hard to not make mistakes.

By the way, the Ultimate version of Opening: Bombing Mission is pretty difficult. Not Force Your Way difficult, but probably in my Top 10 Hardest BMS Ultimate Songs.

I really can't get my head around one button or hybrid mode. The latter I never managed to register so the easy trophy for it is out of my reach.

My feeling is diminishing returns come into play, especially if when you get that high. I compared EXP gained using a few characters (my tests are really bad due to skills equipped, sorry):
800 agility - 9366 (haste 3 - 107 chain 2 great)
235 agility - 4868 (haste 1+2 - 107 chain AC)
16 agility - 2388 (dash 1...dash is inferior to haste and barely makes any difference to EXP 107 chain 1 great)
Also EXP gained with the same party varies due to boost pads being random so one test is not conclusive. Also come to think of it the 235 agility one I had EXP up 2 on the leader (I don't know if it boosts the pool of EXP listed or if that character gets the bonus added to their slice)...these tests are pretty terrible.

Perhaps it works as song performance is a fixed amount of EXP while distance (correlates with pace and agility) work as a form of bonus which would explain why 50 times the agility is less than 4 times the EXP. Of course I went and didn't note down the distance here as that would be useful data.

Man I obsessed over stats for a while when I first got into the game, but then I realized... what's the point?

If your purpose is to travel the furtherest distance during FMS, the distance relies more on your skill than your character's stats. I think after you get up to an SSS rating, it doesn't really matter how high your stat goes. The best way to get EXP, items, distance during a FMS is to play an Ultimate score perfectly.

Personally, I settled on Onion Knight being the best FMS runner with his abilities.
That is a very good point. Sadly I'm too invested into the whole loot game part.

Now I thought distance correlated with pace and agility. Pace goes up when you hit a note and goes down when notes are not hit (an example is long hold notes like I think FF8 ending, you might see you character go from running to slowly walking) which is why you go much further in Ultimate scores.

Onion Knight is good because he is very easy to set up. Naturally high stats doesn't need a whole lot of CP. The drawback to Onion Knight is no sight (more chances of Moogles and Fat Chocobo though to be honest I rarely have problems with either...if anything I wish the Chocobo would show up less as its fixed drop table is becoming useless) or treasure hunter and has pretty low luck (but these two are where I would really love more technical info it says it increases chances changes but from what to what, I have a feeling like the agility I showed earlier it is diminishing returns). There is scrolls for level 1 of both those skills but they're insignificant so I'd rather the stats for what little they're worth.

My feeling is diminishing returns come into play, especially if when you get that high. I compared EXP gained using a few characters (my tests are really bad due to skills equipped, sorry):

I'm not even really working on it to get more EXP or whatever, I just want to try and the best party (on paper) that the game can give me. It's what keeps me playing songs, that and watching my rhythmia go up.

So my dilemma is do I get Fran up to 999 Agility, which is my preferred choice, or do I just go with Rikku who could potentially have 999 Agility +40 +45 +60 in FMS stages? I know it doesn't ultimately make a lot of difference, but yeah, it's the stats that keep me playing.

lankelink

Neo Member
I'm not even really working on it to get more EXP or whatever, I just want to try and the best party (on paper) that the game can give me. It's what keeps me playing songs, that and watching my rhythmia go up.

So my dilemma is do I get Fran up to 999 Agility, which is my preferred choice, or do I just go with Rikku who could potentially have 999 Agility +40 +45 +60 in FMS stages? I know it doesn't ultimately make a lot of difference, but yeah, it's the stats that keep me playing.

I would guess that 999 is the limit, so you cannot achieve 999 + 40 + 45 + 60. Also, I think that the best skill with max agility is Haste, so Rikku is still the better choice

Roto13

How have they managed to make two Theatrhythm games, with 220 base songs, plus another 70+ as DLC, and not one of them is The Landing from Final Fantasy VIII?

FirLocke

Latest DLC is up in Europe! Twister is pretty tough with the triple taps on Ultimate, and World Revolution gets swipe crazy at the end. Calling and Wind Scene are awesome but pretty easy if people would like to dip their toes into Ultimate. Liberi Fatali feels awesome to play.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Onion Knight is good because he is very easy to set up. Naturally high stats doesn't need a whole lot of CP. The drawback to Onion Knight is no sight (more chances of Moogles and Fat Chocobo though to be honest I rarely have problems with either...if anything I wish the Chocobo would show up less as its fixed drop table is becoming useless) or treasure hunter and has pretty low luck (but these two are where I would really love more technical info it says it increases chances changes but from what to what, I have a feeling like the agility I showed earlier it is diminishing returns). There is scrolls for level 1 of both those skills but they're insignificant so I'd rather the stats for what little they're worth.

Use Locke, or Barret or any other party members with Sight, Luck Up, Hastemarch, etc. The leader doesn't have to have them to get into effect for a FMS run, the supporting members can use them.

Top Bottom