• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
WELCOME TO WEEK #1 OF THE NEOGAF TFF:CC COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

• YOU MUST SUBMIT A SCREEN SHOT OF YOUR FINAL RESULTS SCREEN. Example: https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzS5NNP4GU6vkjt
• All four stages will be on the Ultimate score difficulty.
• Score must have been achieved during the competition week.
Obviously this is done on an HONOR system, in the spirit of fun competition, do not submit "old" high scores.
• In the event of a score tie, the winner will be determined by most Criticals.
• Next week's stages will be determined by last week’s winner on that stage.
BMS winner will determine next BMS stage. DLC BMS winner will determine next DLC BMS stage, etc.
• If there are multiple winners (All-Critical) then the user who submitted their score first will determine next week’s song.
However, if the same user wins songs A & B, they will chose either A or B, and the second place finisher will chose the other.

• Winners are encouraged to type a short write-up of why they choose that particular song. It can be something related to a memory you have of that song or the game in which the song is featured!

This Week's Challenge (1/22 - 1/29)

zlCfzS6c3kIqF79YzL
zlCfzS6c16MLrTGxeM

Adam Prime said:
I chose "Something to Protect" because IX always reminds me of Thanksgiving vacation! I remember waking up early every day during those three days off of school (and long weekend) to maximize my playing time. I remember Something to Protect as being one of my favorite songs in the game and just letting the game sit in the battle when you play as Steiner so I could listen to the music!

Adam Prime said:
I chose "Terra's Theme" because I love the snowy background during the stage. I am reminded of playing the game in my room during Christmas vacation in high school. I first played this game on the PSX version of FF Anthology in High School. I played through the entire game on a tiny 9 inch television screen in my room, and I LOVED it!

DLC Stages
zlCfzS6pb_0MzyHmgf
zlCfzS6paLIxGDhPL2

Adam Prime said:
I chose "Liberi Fatali" because it is simply one of the most beautiful songs in the entire series! I'm certain EVERYONE who watched the opening cutscene of VIII was just absolutely PUMPED UP and couldn't wait to get into the game. VIII definitely had one of the most exciting opening CG cutscenes in the entire series!

Adam Prime said:
I chose "Calling" because GAF loves TWEWY so much. I rented that game from GameFly and played it for about ten minutes before I decided that it wasn't for me. I didn't like the art style, and at the time I wasn't ready to jump into a RPG. I'm sure this game is as good as GAF says, but I'm not interested. That said, I listened to the song on YouTube and it sounds cool!

Robin64

My purchases today:

Seiken Densetsu 3 - Sacrifice Part Three
Chrono Trigger - World Revolution
Chrono Trigger - Wind Scene
Final Fantasy Adventure - In Search of the Sword of Mana
Final Fantasy VIII - Liberi Fatali
The World Ends With You - Calling
Final Fantasy XIV - Primal Judgment

Gonna be a fun evening. :)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I might suggest that in future weeks we do three standard songs and only one DLC. If only because there are SO many more non-DLC songs, the DLC section could end up a little stale. Especially when a lot of us won't own all of them anyway.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I might suggest that in future weeks we do three standard songs and only one DLC. If only because there are SO many more non-DLC songs, the DLC section could end up a little stale. Especially when a lot of us won't own all of them anyway.

That's a good suggestion.

We'll let this week run its course and let the winners decide which tracks they want to play next week, with a max of 2 DLC songs.

Celegus

Very cool Adam, looks great! I love that the winner gets to pick the next song and an explanation of why. Makes me want to try and win, even though I don't ever see that happening.

Roto13

So I don't have to buy the DLC song I'm missing to take part? :p

EDIT: I just set a record on Calling and forgot to take a screenshot. Whoops.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Can we post the score screen it shows when you tap a difficulty while choosing a song instead of the post-play results screen? It has a date on it, you can verify that the score was from this week. It's just proving to be a pain to take a new screenshot every time I improve my score, I'd rather just take one when I'm done.

Not that it matters much until I can beat friggin roto here.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Can we post the score screen it shows when you tap a difficulty while choosing a song instead of the post-play results screen? It has a date on it, you can verify that the score was from this week. It's just proving to be a pain to take a new screenshot every time I improve my score, I'd rather just take one when I'm done.

I agree with this. Its way easier. I'll update the rules post.

Holy shit Liberi Fatali is HARD! I look forward to the challenge. That was a great purchase, everyone should spend a buck and buy the best BMS in the game !

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Roto's Calling score is scaring me.

I know, awesome scores!

Remember everyone: Winners can only pick one song for next week. So second or third places will still get a pick if one person ends up winning multiple songs. So don't let others scores discourage you from playing!

Have fun!

Roto13

That screen doesn't have the criticals and whatnot. No good for tiebreaking.

It might never come to tiebreaking, though.

Also my Terra's Theme score is better than my Calling score! Calling has 10 whole mistakes!

Post your best scores even if they're not *the* best scores. It's more fun that way.

linko9

That only works assuming you got your best score this week. So if you had a perfect score from a month ago, you'd never be eligible for this competition.

linko9

Well, I just learned something new about the scoring in this game. With the same number of "greats" you can have a different score.

O5zUDD0.jpg
FlYw3oS.jpg

dvVWwn0.jpg
C1dt2VK.jpg

Will try to improve all of these, especially Liberi, I just played through it once. It's hard.

edit: edited new score for liberi and StP

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'ma just throw up these guys for now:

01Bpddg.jpg

ckHxCwk.jpg

Isn't it just the worst when you've got a high score that's a perfect chain, then you accidentally get a higher score that's NOT a perfect chain, and you have to then beat THAT score with a perfect chain to get your emblem back? What a pain!!!

Well, I just learned something new about the scoring in this game. With the same number of "greats" you can have a different score.

Yeah, looks like that happened with our Something To Protect scores, huh. For what it's worth, I've always had the feeling that the glowing notes are worth more points.

linko9

Yeah, looks like that happened with our Something To Protect scores, huh. For what it's worth, I've always had the feeling that the glowing notes are worth more points.

I'm almost certain it has to do with what point in the song you get the non-critical. Like with breaking a chain, where it's much worse for your score if it happens rights in the middle of the song. I'd also assume that's how it works if you get one great: worst right in the middle, and least damaging as the last or first thing in the song.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Anyone playing with the white stylus that came with the first game? I sure am. I always do my best with it, it's gotta be the moogle sticker on top.

Anyone playing with the white stylus that came with the first game? I sure am. I always do my best with it, it's gotta be the moogle sticker on top.

I tried, but it's too small for me to grip properly. I actually bought a set of "jumbo touch pens" intended for the DSi XL on Amazon just for Theatrhythm and it boosted my perfornance more than I could believe. I'm already pretty good at rhythm games (or at least Japanese ones), but using that really helps. Using one of those suddenly made (most) Ultimate Scores pretty easy!

Celegus

I use a rusty nail.

Gotta build them calluses somehow!

Is anyone else's screen all scratched up from too much Theatrhythm? I have a screen protector on, but there's about a square inch that is just completely decimated and the stylus often gets caught on the scratches. Not sure if it went all the way to the screen, or if it's just superficial on the protector.

Top Bottom