• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

suzu

I'll quote this from the last page:

WELCOME TO WEEK #1 OF THE NEOGAF TFF:CC COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

• YOU MUST SUBMIT A SCREEN SHOT OF YOUR FINAL RESULTS SCREEN. Example: https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzS5NNP4GU6vkjt
• All four stages will be on the Ultimate score difficulty.
• Score must have been achieved during the competition week.
Obviously this is done on an HONOR system, in the spirit of fun competition, do not submit "old" high scores.
• In the event of a score tie, the winner will be determined by most Criticals.
• Next week's stages will be determined by last week’s winner on that stage.
BMS winner will determine next BMS stage. DLC BMS winner will determine next DLC BMS stage, etc.
• If there are multiple winners (All-Critical) then the user who submitted their score first will determine next week’s song.
However, if the same user wins songs A & B, they will chose either A or B, and the second place finisher will chose the other.

• Winners are encouraged to type a short write-up of why they choose that particular song. It can be something related to a memory you have of that song or the game in which the song is featured!

This Week's Challenge (1/22 - 1/29)

zlCfzS6c3kIqF79YzL
zlCfzS6c16MLrTGxeM

I chose "Something to Protect" because IX always reminds me of Thanksgiving vacation! I remember waking up early every day during those three days off of school (and long weekend) to maximize my playing time. I remember Something to Protect as being one of my favorite songs in the game and just letting the game sit in the battle when you play as Steiner so I could listen to the music!

I chose "Terra's Theme" because I love the snowy background during the stage. I am reminded of playing the game in my room during Christmas vacation in high school. I first played this game on the PSX version of FF Anthology in High School. I played through the entire game on a tiny 9 inch television screen in my room, and I LOVED it!

DLC Stages
zlCfzS6pb_0MzyHmgf
zlCfzS6paLIxGDhPL2

I chose "Liberi Fatali" because it is simply one of the most beautiful songs in the entire series! I'm certain EVERYONE who watched the opening cutscene of VIII was just absolutely PUMPED UP and couldn't wait to get into the game. VIII definitely had one of the most exciting opening CG cutscenes in the entire series!

I chose "Calling" because GAF loves TWEWY so much. I rented that game from GameFly and played it for about ten minutes before I decided that it wasn't for me. I didn't like the art style, and at the time I wasn't ready to jump into a RPG. I'm sure this game is as good as GAF says, but I'm not interested. That said, I listened to the song on YouTube and it sounds cool!

---

And here's the full DLC preview list for people's perusal.

---

Gotta build them calluses somehow!

Is anyone else's screen all scratched up from too much Theatrhythm? I have a screen protector on, but there's about a square inch that is just completely decimated and the stylus often gets caught on the scratches. Not sure if it went all the way to the screen, or if it's just superficial on the protector.

I don't really tap that hard or play Ultimate so my screen protector & screen is fine. You should probably stick a new one on or tap a different spot if it's that busted. haha

Robin64

Played a lot of both the first game and CC, with no protector, and my screen is just fine. :)

(Lucky for me, I need to sell it to get money towards a New 3DS XL!)

What's weird is how they did go with "Final Confrontation" for the RS3 song here. The Japanese clearly says "Last Battle" (ラスト バトル) and the game only ever came out in Japan!

GAMERG0D

Does anyone have a EXP map I could use? I got shards for every map but red and silver if you need black or something else. FC in profile.

Also I'm gonna try to do those high scores on the challenge.

linko9

Gotta build them calluses somehow!

Is anyone else's screen all scratched up from too much Theatrhythm? I have a screen protector on, but there's about a square inch that is just completely decimated and the stylus often gets caught on the scratches. Not sure if it went all the way to the screen, or if it's just superficial on the protector.

Not scratched, but the touch screen is hilariously out of calibration. The upper right quadrant of the screen (where I tap) is almost a centimeter out of calibration in some places. And in case you were ever wondering, going into the 3DS settings and performing the "calibration" doesn't actually address that sort of issue, in fact there's no way to fix it at all.

GAMERG0D

About the touch screen... do you guys play on a OG 3DS, XL? I have a launch system and I am getting the Majora LE 3DS and I'm debating if Theatrhythm will ruin the touch screen of that. Does the larger touch screen of the XL help in this game?

Celegus

About the touch screen... do you guys play on a OG 3DS, XL? I have a launch system and I am getting the Majora LE 3DS and I'm debating if Theatrhythm will ruin the touch screen of that. Does the larger touch screen of the XL help in this game?

Mine's a launch XL, so it's been through a lot of tapping from the two games. The larger screen does at least give you more area to work with, lately I've been trying to use the neglected left side of the screen instead of the well-worn right side since it doesn't matter where you tap the screen. I finally tried button mode but it felt super awkward and I completely failed the song.

Roto13

I played Theatrhythm 1 for 100+ hours on a regular 3DS and Curtain Call for more than 50 on a 3DS XL and they don't feel much different to me. You have to move the stylus farther to do the wavey hold notes in FMS, but it's not really any harder or easier.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Does anyone have a EXP map I could use? I got shards for every map but red and silver if you need black or something else. FC in profile.

Also I'm gonna try to do those high scores on the challenge.

I have a Lv.50 Bracing map. I'll try to be online tonight around 9 pm CST. I'll post in this thread around that time if you're interested!

Nothing to do with the competition. Just wanted to share. :p

Awesome. I have never All-Crit an Ultimate score. The best I've ended up with is two where I only missed it by one.

Roto13

I'm on a roll.

zlCfzS61840fOhkV_1

It's a coincidence. For both Ride On and Mt. Gulg, I noticed that only the second bar in the critical chart wasn't full, so I did each of them just planning to fill in those single bars, and ended up getting all criticals in both.

Also, this one's from a few days ago. I posted it to Miiverse because I thought it was funny that there were two Tifas. I didn't even notice the score at first. :p

zlCfzS6A4xcQThZxxs

That's Cloud Smiles.

Don't know if you guys are aware (I haven't seen it mentioned), but it's been confirmed that more DLC is scheduled for February 19th!

I'm so spoiled. Even though we've ended up getting more DLC from a wider range of games than I ever expected, I want more more more! Glad we're getting it. I will keep buying it as long as they keep producing it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Don't know if you guys are aware (I haven't seen it mentioned), but it's been confirmed that more DLC is scheduled for February 19th!

I'm so spoiled. Even though we've ended up getting more DLC from a wider range of games than I ever expected, I want more more more! Glad we're getting it. I will keep buying it as long as they keep producing it.

Yup mentioned a couple pages ago. Interesting that it's basically a month away, instead of two weeks. I wonder if it's for marketing purposes or if they're actually still working on it? There are some Chrono Trigger songs I still really want but I'm not gonna lay too much hope on em.

Regarding screen. I have issues when it gets too dirty and when I first clean off the dirt but after a while it sort of wears back to use. No protection here.

As for why not use a protector? I used a Hori Protector on my DS Lite and it added resistance to the screen. I noticed how much easier sliding was on my unprotected XL so left it unprotected. Depending on how I feel I use the stylus or a cotton bud.

Yup mentioned a couple pages ago. Interesting that it's basically a month away, instead of two weeks. I wonder if it's for marketing purposes or if they're actually still working on it? There are some Chrono Trigger songs I still really want but I'm not gonna lay too much hope on em.
Could be working on it actually:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/730860-theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call/70957776/808800453
74 is how many DLC songs are out now. My guess is the leak was due to some data being dumped on the server in advance (this used to happen all the time with the Wii Shop). Yikes at the character slots. Maybe characters really sold a lot worse than songs so they stopped trying.

Oops, my bad!

My guess is they're still working on it. We've been getting the most recent batches of DLC songs only days after Japan, so I think now we're pretty much getting them in all regions right as they finish them and push them out.

There are still some Chrono Trigger songs I want too, but hell, if we're being honest I kind of just want the whole soundtrack. Same with Chrono Cross. I'm also hoping for the introduction of Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Musashi, and Kingdom Hearts songs, but I know that's just me being way too greedy and hopeful!

To bring things back to Final Fantasy, though, at the very least I'm really hoping for "Battle 3" or "Last Castle" from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and "Run" or "Unseen Abyss" from Final Fantasy XIII-2.

XIII-2 in particular just has an amazing, incredibly overlooked/underrated soundtrack.

I wouldn't say overlooked/underrated.

More like divisive.

There are specific songs in the soundtrack that are understandably divisive, but those songs aside, I'd still say it's an incredibly high-quality soundtrack otherwise. But you're right, it's all subjective!

Also, not to geek out on you, but are you THE Falk? And by that, I mean the same Falk who did so much of the music for Sonic Before the Sequel and After the Sequel? Because if so, I am seriously such a fan! My best friend and I listen to those soundtracks nonstop - honestly, excellent work!

And if you're not that Falk, uh... my mistake. :p

mstevens

What Final Fantasy game (that you haven't played) has surprised you most with its amazing soundtrack? Final Fantasy XI is blowing me away.

linko9

I wouldn't say overlooked/underrated.

More like divisive.

Yeah. I loved 13's soundtrack, and 13-2 didn't really do it for me. Especially since they put a ton of tracks from 13 in the game, there was the clear contrast between the really good songs from 13 and the OK ones for the new game. That said, there were some really good stand-out tracks, and luckily they chose all the best ones to put in this game.

What Final Fantasy game (that you haven't played) has surprised you most with its amazing soundtrack? Final Fantasy XI is blowing me away.

I agree, lot of good tracks from 11, though I don't think it's amazing overall. In contrast, I really don't like the songs from 10 (Fight w/ Seymore is good though). Tactics just seems tedious. Crystal Chronicles is really mediocre. 14 has some really bad tracks, and overall I don't much like it, but Ultima and Fallen Angel are really good. I really like the remixes from Chocobo's Dungeon. Both Dissidias are sort of tedious, in the same vein as the music from Advent Children; sounds like it's had the soul sucked out of it. I like the Type-0 music quite a bit, especially the J-pop one, which really surprised me :D. Lightning returns seems pretty good. The two songs from Mystic Quest sound like they came out of Mega Man or something; I like them, but not that much.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

XIII , I finished the game, and this game reminds me of how I love every BMS they chose for this game.

XIII, on the other hand, I don't like a single song from the entire selection, I dread playing any song, because they suck.

linko9

Managed to full chain Liberi (9781420). Also improved on Something To Protect, and figured out something weird in the process.

FlYw3oS.jpg
aR383uW.jpg

Note the score for those two runs. This game really, really likes long critical streaks; the one with 5 mistakes had them spread out, whereas in the one with 7 they were all concentrated near the beginning, if I remember right.

Will edit my original score post w/ the new scores.

Well, I took pictures of my scores, now to figure out how to post them.

I've been taking the SD card out and putting it in my computer, does anyone know if there's a way to upload directly from the 3DS?

Final Fantasy XI and XIV for me. Also, I only played about a quarter of Final Fantasy III and it has a really great soundtrack. Uematsu did some amazing things with the NES sound chip for that game.

I'm also surprised by how good the Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon remixes of other FF songs are.

Well, I took pictures of my scores, now to figure out how to post them.

From what I can tell, the best way to grab 3DS screenshots for purposes like this is to post the screenshots you want to Miiverse, then go to the web version of Miiverse in your browser and download them from there.

I've technically played FFXI, but not much (a few hours), and there are a handful of tracks that singlehandedly make me want to sub to the game and see the world that accompanies them. I don't think the whole soundtrack is amazing, but stuff like Gustaberg (in Theatrhythm, yay!) and The Celestial Capital: Al'Taieu ... oh man. I love how chill and relaxing these are.

Son Of D

XIV has impressed me with the soundtrack. Wasn't expecting the songs to be that good. Nor was I expecting Under the Weight to even be in XIV.

linko9

Nice!

For stylus people: do you find that you hold the stylus differently depending on the type of song? I realized recently that for really quick series of taps, it's easier for me to hold it with my thumb basically parallel to the screen, with my whole hand sort of rolled forward a bit. Also in songs with a lot of quick series of arrows, or FMSs with fast-moving holds, I often hold it a bit higher on the stylus, so my hand's farther from the screen.

Wichu

Also, not sure if you know this, but the variation in scores with the same critical rate is because different types of notes are worth different amounts of points. Hold notes are the most valuable, while tap notes are the least - if you missed 5 holds, you'd get a lower score than if you missed 7 taps.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Type-0, for sure. Some really excellent stuff in there. Lightning Returns gets an honorable mention.

LR has such a great soundtrack.

For me, tie between Typo-0 and Dissidia. Not all the tracks are great, but there are some standouts where I'm like Hot Diggity.

Falk

that puzzling face
What Final Fantasy game (that you haven't played) has surprised you most with its amazing soundtrack?

Final Fantasy XV

:)

Also, not to geek out on you, but are you THE Falk? And by that, I mean the same Falk who did so much of the music for Sonic Before the Sequel and After the Sequel? Because if so, I am seriously such a fan! My best friend and I listen to those soundtracks nonstop - honestly, excellent work!

And if you're not that Falk, uh... my mistake. :p

I've actually not done Sanic stuff for quite a while. Commercial projects eat up all my time nowadays D:

Thanks!

Final Fantasy X with Zanarkand, Via Purifico, Final Battle, Mi'ihen Highroad, Fight With Seymour, and the over-the-top (for the soundtrack anyway) Otherworld.

Does that make it the shortest song in Theatrhythm?

I don't have all the DLC, but according to my list, yes. There's another song (forget which) that's 1:19.

Kirlia

Banned

That's a really tough question. Probably XI and XIV, but I'm also VERY fond of Type-0. XIII and its sequels also have great music.

I finally made to rank 4 of AI vs platinum class and what is rank 1? Force Your Way. Why do you do this to me, game? Also I don't know if it is like other classes where there are two song choices as I am really tempted just to throw the bucket in now and try the class again in the hope I get a song that is actually possible for me to beat the AI on (here I would need a way to kill them about 3 times and for them to do nothing but chain attack or something).

Edit: The other rank 1 platinum song is A Contest of Aeons (though I'm reading reports of Fight with Seymour) so it really is being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Also. I should post some BMS scores for laughs with you lot. In FMS I can get about 9 million usually (there are a few really hard ones such as FF8 - The Castle, FF7 - The Chase and FF13-2 - Crazy Chocobo) but the BMS are more like 6 million.

Anustart

I finally made to rank 4 of AI vs platinum class and what is rank 1? Force Your Way. Why do you do this to me, game? Also I don't know if it is like other classes where there are two song choices as I am really tempted just to throw the bucket in now and try the class again in the hope I get a song that is actually possible for me to beat the AI on (here I would need a way to kill them about 3 times and for them to do nothing but chain attack or something).

Edit: The other rank 1 platinum song is A Contest of Aeons (though I'm reading reports of Fight with Seymour) so it really is being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Also. I should post some BMS scores for laughs with you lot. In FMS I can get about 9 million usually (there are a few really hard ones such as FF8 - The Castle, FF7 - The Chase and FF13-2 - Crazy Chocobo) but the BMS are more like 6 million.

In my eyes its about pushing to better yourself and not worrying about coming in first. If you get 6 million, I bet you can make 7 million. And when you do you'll feel great about it!

MrDaravon

In my eyes its about pushing to better yourself and not worrying about coming in first. If you get 6 million, I bet you can make 7 million. And when you do you'll feel great about it!

This. It's super crazy to see people hitting All Criticals on some of these, but I never expect to get that good. I work on just getting Total Criticals, and getting my score higher. Right now I'm working a bit on Something to Protect, and at first I could barely even hit 8 million, now I'm clearing around 9.5 million. Also keep in mind I see people posting on other boards that can't even complete Ultimate songs period, so even clearing them with a B is already a leg up on a lot of people to begin with.

Top Bottom