• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Swamped

Banned
Regarding the weekly competition...wow, you guys are beasts! BEASTS! I have no hope of winning, but I have been getting some personal bests so I will definitely share. My goal is to get a perfect chain on all four songs (and maaaaaybe SSS?)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Regarding the weekly competition...wow, you guys are beasts! BEASTS! I have no hope of winning, but I have been getting some personal bests so I will definitely share. My goal is to get a perfect chain on all four songs (and maaaaaybe SSS?)

My goal is to just make SS rank on the BMS songs, which is a huge accomplishment for me. SSS for the FMS songs, that's pretty much my standard on Ultimate scores.

PROTIP: I've been using a WiiU stylus instead of the telescoping one that comes with the OG. The extra sturdiness makes a difference, especailly the stylus starts telescoping in during a song!

Falk

that puzzling face
In my eyes its about pushing to better yourself and not worrying about coming in first. If you get 6 million, I bet you can make 7 million. And when you do you'll feel great about it!

Pretty much. In rhythm games there's always a bigger fish. Enjoyment is always derived when you're your own rival.

Celegus

Here's my entries for the week:

zlCfzS7kaNkNOErNEb

zlCfzS7kcEUbppnMtO

Never used the Miiverse before, didn't realize I had to upload it right away from the results screen, but I did get both of these scores this week. Something to Protect was really difficult for me, though I'm kind of bummed I didn't get an SS. My previous best was 7.8m, so I'll take the 8.8.

Right after that, I got my first Ultimate All-Crit on my first attempt of this (very easy) song. But still! First one!

zlCfzS7kjG0rjnLE5N

mstevens

Why are the EMS stages so much more difficult than the others? Been going through and getting SSS on all the basic tracks, just for fun, and it is taking me multiple attempts on these EMS stages because there are so few notes and it seems like one-millisecond off gets you a great. Way more precise than the other types of maps.

edit: Wow.. I'm done with 3 of them now, but I just can't believe how accurate they want you to be.
edit 2: After trying it several times, I got 4 greats on the Crystal Chronicles one (which I swear couldn't have been more than a millisecond off) and was 5k point short of SSS. Grrrrr.

Why are the EMS stages so much more difficult than the others? Been going through and getting SSS on all the basic tracks, just for fun, and it is taking me multiple attempts on these EMS stages because there are so few notes and it seems like one-millisecond off gets you a great. Way more precise than the other types of maps.
Come to think of it the timing is stricter probably to make up for the general lack of notes. In the original game I'm told the timing was as lenient as the rest but the screens only ran at 30fps which made it hard.

Also remember for every completion you get yourself a bit closer to the trophy related to EMS (it is either play them 50 times or see extended versions 50 times).

The thing I hate the most about EMS. Chest notes, failing the critical is one thing but getting it and the word miss when using a party full of people boosting luck is upsetting.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

edit: Wow.. I'm done with 3 of them now, but I just can't believe how accurate they want you to be.
edit 2: After trying it several times, I got 4 greats on the Crystal Chronicles one (which I swear couldn't have been more than a millisecond off) and was 5k point short of SSS. Grrrrr.

EMS triggers get easier to hit when the song moves faster. I think the real cause here is just that they are usually super slow, and that slowness moves the critical window. You can usually begin your tap at an earlier point psychologically and by the time you execute you're in the critical range, but with the slow EMS movement you execute before you're fully in that range. I have more success in EMS when I just think "wait longer before tapping."

mstevens

I mean, I'm doing fine at them. I got SSS on the first 3 eventually, it's just a lot more frustrating than the other two types of songs. And at least with the other songs, I feel there is room for improvement. I can learn the song better.

But with this Crystal Chronicles EMS for instance, I know the song and notes by heart now. I've done it like 30 times now. It's just impossible for me to not miss about 4 sensitive notes and there goes the SSS right there. I mean, I really can't believe how sensitive it is and how little margin for error there is.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I mean, I'm doing fine at them. I got SSS on the first 3 eventually, it's just a lot more frustrating than the other two types of songs. And at least with the other songs, I feel there is room for improvement. I can learn the song better.

But with this Crystal Chronicles EMS for instance, I know the song and notes by heart now. I've done it like 30 times now. It's just impossible for me to not miss about 4 sensitive notes and there goes the SSS right there. I mean, I really can't believe how sensitive it is and how little margin for error there is.

My solution was simple: be happy with SS for EMS. :D

mstevens

My solution was simple: be happy with SS for EMS. :D

Haha yeah for sure. I just kinda set a goal for myself to get all SSS on basic before moving on, and I've done the first 14 games + dlc (which is a lot of hours spent toward that goal) only to run into this frustrating snag.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Haha yeah for sure. I just kinda set a goal for myself to get all SSS on basic before moving on, and I've done the first 14 games + dlc (which is a lot of hours spent toward that goal) only to run into this frustrating snag.

Yeah I set that caveat for myself early on. Perfect chain SSS for all basic and expert, with the exception of EMS, where I gotta perfect chain, but can stop with SS. They just really aren't fun enough for me to work on em over and over again. There's no all-SSS trophy or anything, as long as you can perfect-chain em you won't be missing out.

Trying to decide on my Ultimate goal now. I'd love to perfect chain them all, but.. I don't see it happening. At the very least I can set a minimum SS goal for all of them.

mstevens

You're right it's not worth the frustration. I might just give it a couple tries here and then, and keep working on the BMS and FMS.

Celegus

That sounds... tedious. I've only played on Basic for a handful of songs during the early quest medleys and found it to be very boring. Now that I have all the characters, I'm trying to SS every song on Ultimate, not even gonna bother with the previous difficulties.

Anustart

That sounds... tedious. I've only played on Basic for a handful of songs during the early quest medleys and found it to be very boring. Now that I have all the characters, I'm trying to SS every song on Ultimate, not even gonna bother with the previous difficulties.

Same. Doing lower than Ultimate bores me to tears. I tried to do the whole get SSS on the lower ones but gave up.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Same. Doing lower than Ultimate bores me to tears. I tried to do the whole get SSS on the lower ones but gave up.

I literally only last week finally finished all the basic/expert songs on perfect chain SSS. It's a good way to build up your fundamentals. I'm JUST finally getting to the ultimates, after cracking 100K RM. It feels like the game is finally beginning.

Though to be fair I didn't play for some pretty long stretches in there. Was kinda waiting for the New 3DS to come out, but now that NOA WON'T SELL ME ONE no point in waitin.

I play the daily songs every day and leave it at that, usually, so I don't burn out. I've been trying to critical chart all the expert songs, and if I've done that I'll play the basic one, and if I've done that I'll start working on the ultimate one. I'm playing a pretty varied mix of songs and difficulties every day right now, so it feels pretty fresh.

It's kind of annoying that EMS and DLC don't appear in that daily song rotation, though.

I got to a point in quest chains where Ultimates are starting to show up. I went from getting consister S-SS rankings to barely getting As and Bs. Ye gods.

MrDaravon

I play the daily songs every day and leave it at that, usually, so I don't burn out. I've been trying to critical chart all the expert songs, and if I've done that I'll play the basic one, and if I've done that I'll start working on the ultimate one. I'm playing a pretty varied mix of songs and difficulties every day right now, so it feels pretty fresh.

It's kind of annoying that EMS and DLC don't appear in that daily song rotation, though.

DLC comes up for sure, had one yesterday, it's completely random. Not sure about EMS though, don't think I've ever had one of those as a daily.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

You're insane. Basic (and most Expert) songs are SO BORING. I've played the game for 60 hours and have only done less than 20 Basics.

Roto13

Having to play low level quest maps made of Basic scores was the low point of the game for me. (Well, that and the god awful EMS stages, but those are completely optional.) They're the only reason any songs in my save file even have Basic high scores recorded. Basic is fine for newbies, of course, but I played the first Theatrhythm more than enough to just jump right into Ultimate and I wish I had been given the option to do just that.

Expert is acceptable, though I definitely prefer Ultimate. At least I don't full critical every single Expert song the first time I play it.

I like Basic scores as warmups, personally. That and I do have a dim compulsion to SSS every chart eventually. (Except EMSs. I'm perfectly happy to pretend those don't exist.)

Roto13

By the way, the fact that I had to buy We Have Come a second time because the Curtain Call version is a shitty EMS is kind of bullshit.

All this EMS talk made me want to try one out...

2pxPMe1.jpg

This took me quite a few tries. Ever since the first game, I've never been a fan of EMS. The notes just seem a little off. Nothing crazy but I feel that I have to hit the notes a millisecond before. I was determined to get this song though, lol.

Going to try those competition songs later tonight.

I love hearing people talk about how they want to try and SSS every song. When I use to play DDR, that was one of my goals. Even on Basic. As boring as it was, it actually helped me with my timing. I'll be attempting the same thing with Curtain Call.

You guys are beasts, btw :p Awesome job!

mstevens

YES! Got SSS finally on Moonless Starry Night (basic haha... The lack of notes actually makes it harder for me). Barely... Got 9754098 lol.

Got 4 greats again, but I guess one of them was less points this time.

edit: Screw Lux Concordiae. I got all critical except one great and it was enough to bump me down to SS.
edit 2: Haha they can't take my SSS if I all-crit ;). 7 down, 4 to go.

MrDaravon

EMS tracks are complete and utter bullshit, same way in the first game as well, it's what initially broke me on that game. Some of them feel fine, but most of them always feel off in some way. Sometimes it's actually easier with the sound off, sometimes you have to go completely by sound and essentially ignore the actual track. It's maddening, and it's the reason I've sworn off actually going for all SSS ranks, because fuck that.

First thing I did in Curtain Call was Perfect Chain and Total Critical everything on Basic, since I have a long-term goal of getting all of the trophies. While a bit mind numbing I didn't think it was THAT bad. Then I realized I was going to have to do the same thing with the EMS tracks on all difficulties, and went ahead and decided to do the same on Expert and Ultimate and just get the goddamn things over with all at once. It was fucking awful. To preface this I'm not as godlike as as some of the folks here, but I can certainly hold my own with SS or SSS on just almost anything on Ultimate. That said after I was done, look at what my top songs played looked like:

zlCfzS7yMcg0cU-LiO

It was fucking ridiculous. Perfect Chains weren't a problem except for once specific EMS I'm blanking on, but most of them had a couple of notes that just refused to Critical. On the top 3 or 4 there I did them enough where I literally knew the exact note I was missing, tried all sorts of timing early, late, with and without sound, etc and just nothing. Finally I realized that actually trying to do them "properly" was a shitshow, so at my call center job I would just play them with the sound off while on calls and barely paying attention because I figured through sheer will and numbers it would eventually work. And it did. BUT AT WHAT COST I ASK YOU. Even with my "legitimate" attempts I still couldn't get an SSS rank on a lot of them on any difficulty, and I'm not even going to try.

tl;dr - fuck EMS

MrDaravon

I should throw out there though that the Final Fantasy Medley EMS is actually awesome; it's one of the few that's not super broken, and has all of the feels.

MrDaravon

So that's why you haven't been on in Diablo for so long!

Haha nah, this whole EMS thing was back in like October/November. I haven't been on Diablo because they totally botched how they're handling Seasons, and nothing in the patch that just dropped or Season 2 (that we know about) has me particularly excited to come back.

Swamped

Banned
Here are my scores! I guess I'm a little proud of myself because I managed to perfect chain two of them and break old high scores. I think I can still improve on Liberi Fatali but we'll see...

kJ9iy8G.jpg

wNk0XRJ.jpg

tbzR06f.jpg

O2AEWvN.jpg

Roto13

I just want to warn you guys that if I ever win the right to pick the DLC song for the weekly challenge, it will be Crazy Chocobo.

Wichu

So, as I got 9999999 in this week's non-DLC BMS, I believe I'll be picking next week's. Who's up for Force Your Way? :p

Also tempted to do FFIX's Final Battle. Fuck Battle 2 though.

Chairhome

You guys are crazy. haha. I thought I was good at rhythm games but i concede.

Any fast way to farm rhythmia? I really want to unlock all the songs in the music player but it takes forever.

suzu

Any fast way to farm rhythmia? I really want to unlock all the songs in the music player but it takes forever.

Doing daily songs and getting more rhythmia bonuses. Examples: having a same gender party, or a same series party & playing only that series' tracks, stoic bonus (no equips or abilities), etc.

I think you can make a same gender and series party with all the FF11 characters.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Here's my contribution, looking forward to tackling the other songs later.

zlCfzS7vvUQnzgq29A
zlCfzS8A0G8PNCO_gQ

zlCfzS8L2-8ZwlhdUu

zlCfzS7wmfYGN9Q0uk

... and YAY I finally achieved 4 stars progress!

isitstill

So, I have a probably stupid question. Do the DLC songs show up in Quest mode?

You guys are insanely good at this game, by the way. I just dabble, playing a few songs here and there. You guys are machines.

GLuigi

So, I have a probably stupid question. Do the DLC songs show up in Quest mode?

Yup, they do show up in Quests

Starting to jump back into this game for the Bravely Default, Chrono Trigger, and TWEWY DLC. Managed to get a perfect chain on Evil Wings, I'm going to see if I can turn that into an all critical :)
Hydo36a.jpg

But i didn't beat my high score :(

Chairhome

Doing daily songs and getting more rhythmia bonuses. Examples: having a same gender party, or a same series party & playing only that series' tracks, stoic bonus (no equips or abilities), etc.

I think you can make a same gender and series party with all the FF11 characters.
Thanks! Didn't know about stoic bonuses.

Top Bottom