• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

daydream

Banned
While I can't recall who they were off the top of my head, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you only get 10 more OPTIONS to start. They're not permanent unlocks. Once you create your first party of four, all the remaining characters get locked.

I played yesterday and had 24 characters to choose from at the beginning. After a few songs, I got red shards, and it gave me the option to unlock people I thought I already had. I was super confused at first, but when I went to edit party, I saw that there were only my chosen 4 plus the new unlock to choose from.

Oh, got it. Thanks!

Anustart

Music is much quieter it seems. Had to put head phones on to maximize enjoyment. Also, game seems to have a tough time discerning my right swipes, while in the first game it was diagonal up-right swipes that it had problems with.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Speaking of which, I can just delete the DLC from the previous game, right? No point in keeping it if I don't have the original & CC already has the songs on the cartridge.

Eusis

There were cart size limitations, I think it was originally 2GB and now it's up to 4GB.

But either way it was probably just a lie, Curtain Call's filesize is only 1.7GB anyway.
Optimization software and code may have improved too, enabling more to be put in. Or they did something like trash the EMS video quality.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, need friends to play versus mode with. PM me to exchange friend codes:p

Online seems to be spotty for me though. Takes a long time to find someone to play with and even then I got the same Japanese guy twice lol.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Love the alternative control options. I'm able to relax and enjoy the game a bit more instead of constantly being focused using the goddamn stylus, which hurt my hand after playing for so long.

It's very casual gaming based in its design. You get rewarded for EVERYTHING.

And I LOVE IT! D:

Tunic

Just picked this up from Gamestop with the CD! Can't wait to play! I was a huge fan of the first release and I feel I will love this one even more. The new features sound fun!

Adzin

Neo Member
Really excited about this, can't wait for friday!

I'm kinda bummed that the first game will be made redundant. I have the box signed by Masashi Hamauzu, so it still has some use on my shelf at least :)

brerwolfe

This just showed up on my doorstep. I had no idea that it existed, but my wife was apparently all too aware.

Guess I'll pop it in and see what's what before she gets home.

bomo

Neo Member
I want to get this, but I have a big problem with day 1 DLC. DLC should be made later in order to add content to the game, it shouldn't be something that developers use to make you pay more when a game comes out. Remember Mass Effect 3?

Skilletor

FF Theathrhythm get.

Love the remixes on the CD, but with only 5 tracks it's pretty pointless.

I want to get this, but I have a big problem with day 1 DLC. DLC should be made later in order to add content to the game, it shouldn't be something that developers use to make you pay more when a game comes out. Remember Mass Effect 3?

I can't hear you over the amazing 221 tracks of music this game offers without having to pay a dime.

Also, was it day 1 in Japan? It came out there like 5 months ago, no? So would make sense to have day 1 dlc when you account for localization. But, again, I couldn't care less. There's an amazing amount of content available without paying for any dlc, and at some point you just have to acknowledge what you're willing to pay for and what you think is "extra."

bomo

Neo Member
FF Theathrhythm get.

Love the remixes on the CD, but with only 5 tracks it's pretty pointless.

I can't hear you over the amazing 221 tracks of music this game offers without having to pay a dime.

Also, was it day 1 in Japan? It came out there like 5 months ago, no? So would make sense to have day 1 dlc when you account for localization. But, again, I couldn't care less. There's an amazing amount of content available without paying for any dlc, and at some point you just have to acknowledge what you're willing to pay for and what you think is "extra."

That's a good point about it being released in Japan several months ago. If those songs were released later then this is not an example of the problem I was talking about.

pariah164

Sigh.

If you don't want the DLC, don't buy it. The option is there if you want it, but it's not mandatory. Hell, the game has over 200 songs without it, and two of the DLC songs are free at the moment. I do not see it as a bad thing.

Speaking of, bought Yuffie. My female party is complete till I unlock Rikku and Paine.

bomo

Neo Member
Sigh.

If you don't want the DLC, don't buy it. The option is there if you want it, but it's not mandatory. Hell, the game has over 200 songs without it, and two of the DLC songs are free at the moment. I do not see it as a bad thing.

Speaking of, bought Yuffie. My female party is complete till I unlock Rikku and Paine.

I don't understand the point of your argument. I don't want to support a game that embodies practices I disagree with. Telling me I don't have to purchase the DLC is irrelevant.

Anustart

What if you made a product that was worth 40$ and also made a product that was worth 20$. These products work together and you finished them at the same time. Because they were done at the same time you'd feel people should get one of them free?

bomo

Neo Member
What if you made a product that was worth 40$ and also made a product that was worth 20$. These products work together and you finished them at the same time. Because they were done at the same time you'd feel people should get one of them free?

It depends on the kind of product in question. In this case your analogy doesn't makes sense unless the DLC in question literally wouldn't fit on a 3DS cartridge.

pariah164

I don't understand the point of your argument. I don't want to support a game that embodies practices I disagree with. Telling me I don't have to purchase the DLC is irrelevant.
And I don't understand the point of your complaint, so I guess we're even in that regard.

bomo

Neo Member
And I don't understand the point of your complaint, so I guess we're even in that regard.

I don't like to support companies that promote practices that are bad for consumers. In any case that might not even apply here since the game came out first Japan. I'm going to buy it regardless.

bomo

Neo Member
It makes sense. Base games and dlc are different products. They receive separate budgets.

An internal budget is made up by the companies in question. It's very difficult to prove that content wouldn't exist otherwise because devs have an incentive to decide that some content should be DLC regardless of how development on the game went.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
There are many games that try to sell consumers DLC that's overpriced and unfair to the consumers but I don't think one can say that about a game that already contains 221 songs and over 60 characters. It's a very beefy package and having additional songs and characters as DLC, day one or otherwise, is hardly a decision that harms the consumers.

EDIT: And if you really need to know, the DLC for this game was Day One in Japan. They had the first DLC pack on the first day and another pack every other 2 weeks.

Arthos

I bought into the hype.

Game bought. My 3DS is going to see some love after two months of not playing it. Can't wait to play all the new songs.

aett

Wow, the quest mode seems really interesting. I was so excited to finally play this during my lunch break that I almost late coming back to the office. One more song...

I'm going to have to start bringing my decent headphones to work with me. I only had my shitty iPod earbuds in the car and the music sounded worse than it did coming out of the mono 2DS.

This game has so much content. Download was huge. Love that all the spin-off stuff is in here. I'm playing Mystic Quest Battle songs with Benjamin in my party. Crazy.

Jasconius

Is there a way to tell what shards you're collecting? Need pink shards to unlock Rikku.

The easiest way to get shards is to play the quests. You will see what kind of shards you will get from beating the bosses when you unlock each quest.

Rikku is from "peach" shards in the English version, I believe, and I think I've already gotten enough to unlock 3 characters from those already, so not too hard. All in all it is much easier to unlock most characters in this one.

That said, I did see that
Sephiroth still needs 8 black shards to unlock and I'm guessing they're not going to throw those at you...
(character unlock spoiler I guess just in case)

I have a bit of trouble doing directional arrows properly at the end of a hold when using the circle pad and I don't understand why. I am still doing real good with the stylus. Anyone else?

linko9

Just played a couple songs (well, one song on two difficulties), how soon do you get to turn off the annoying sound effects? Sort of ridiculous that this is locked. Otherwise great so far.

edit: NVM, got it on next song :D (500 rh.)

ohlawd

lol I suck so bad I can't do well on expert.

Hmmm will it kick me later in the ass with unlocking content if I just stick on beginner or whatever?

Kemal86

The audio mix is jacked the fuck up, what the hell happened? Menu sound effects are super loud and the music is super quiet in comparison.

Top Bottom