• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Munkyspace

Oh christ, this is just shameful. Excuse me while I no longer post in this thread for like a week.

iwu4GIi22esrC.png

B-b-b-but... It's your thread.

Munkyspace

Is there really a reason to equip items and skills in the game if you can hit the rhythms pretty decently? I've just been going naked because I get higher ranks, but it makes me think I'm missing something with items. Maybe on the Chaos Shrine stuff it helps you get to higher bosses if maybe your characters aren't high enough level?

Basically, just looking for someone to give me some reasons to equip some of this stuff.

If you're going after a high score, yeah. Go naked. If you're going after items/unlocks, it does you good to go in with all your abilities, especially the boss-killer abilities (Omnislash, Ninjutsu, etc) so you can face multiple bosses in one run.

You won't be able to face more than one boss on a consistent basis while ungeared.

It's a bit of a trade-off.

LadyRiven

My game seems to have a weird bug. I haven't played through all of the series yet, but two of the ones I have not played randomly got an "auto save" icon over them.

Out of curiosity, I started one of series that had the auto save icon and it resumed on the second song, even though I'd never touched the first one. When I finished the song set, it said I got a D on the first song.

Has this happened to anyone else? I have no idea why it thinks I stopped in the middle of two song sets that I hadn't even started yet!

Teknoman

lol at Cagnazzo SD form. I'm surprised they didnt use the normal boss battle for FFIV, but I guess that might have broken some touch screens. I think it would be nice if the DLC tracks added new enemies though. Say actually fighting Golbez -> Zemus -> Zeromus to FFIV final boss theme.

Just got this and played through a couple of the sets of songs on the series mode and I'm not entirely sure who to have in my party. Once you pick a party are you pretty much locked in to using them or is it fine to change them later on?

MrDaravon

As far as I can tell the difficulty level (the No. XX) of Dark Notes you unlock is an average of your party level when you unlocked it.

Also I feel this bears repeating in that there is no downside or penalty to wearing equipment/items when playing Chaos Shrine, go nuts! Dark Notes do not have the scoring limitation that Series/Challenge does (I've gotten SS on Dark Notes with full gear on), and even if they did it doesn't matter because it doesn't keep track of any scores or ranks you earn, it only keeps track of the bosses that you've fought and any of their drops that you have unlocked.

On a related note though, does anyone know exactly HOW songs are made harder in Dark Notes based on the No. level? Like I have Mambo de Chocobo at both a No. 05 and a No. 42 or so and I don't really notice any difference. Are there like invisible No. benchmarks that just bump things up to the next level or something?

bitoriginal

Does MV. signify how intense a dark note is going to be? Seems that way to me, the ones that are low are easy, and I've got one that's 93 and it's outrageously hard.

Also this advice needs to be repeated; Use low level characters on unplayed dark notes to unlock easier dark notes, then grind those low level dark notes with your higher level characters to get item drops and shards.

MrDaravon

No, the "No. xx" indicates difficulty (at least apparently). The "Mv. xx" indicates which two songs you will get. I don't have the list handy, but unfortunately the game only pulls 20 songs into this mode (and no DLC ;_;), with the first digit meaning one song and the second another.

bitoriginal

No, the "No. xx" indicates difficulty (at least apparently). The "Mv. xx" indicates which two songs you will get. I don't have the list handy, but unfortunately the game only pulls 20 songs into this mode (and no DLC ;_;), with the first digit meaning one song and the second another.

Ahh okay, cheers for clarifying that, makes sense now!

IIRC, un-equip everything will enable you to rank higher than S. With equipment/skills S is the highest you can achieve.

I've gotten SS with skills equipped and without a perfect chain. but yeah, SSS is all perfects with nothing equipped.

edit- I'm an idiot. I probably only got S ranks.

Aeana

This game is pretty fun so far, but I'm really disappointed with how game-agnostic the battle and field sections are. I was immediately disappointed when I summoned Ramuh during the FF1 battle segment. And then again during the FF2 one.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This game is pretty fun so far, but I'm really disappointed with how game-agnostic the battle and field sections are. I was immediately disappointed when I summoned Ramuh during the FF1 battle segment. And then again during the FF2 one.

I thought the field sections had game-specific backgrounds?

Aeana

I thought the field sections had game-specific backgrounds?

Well, it's possible. I've only done FF1 and 2 and they looked pretty much the same. They also put me on a chocobo in FF1, which is another thing I didn't like. Seems like I'm the only person who has a problem with this though.

They do. As do the battle scenes.

I'm talking more about the enemies and summons and stuff in battles, which don't line up with the games at all.

Synless

Well, it's possible. I've only done FF1 and 2 and they looked pretty much the same. They also put me on a chocobo in FF1, which is another thing I didn't like. Seems like I'm the only person who has a problem with this though.
Wait until you play the FFXII and FFXIII fields, you will see a big difference.

*edit

Enemies don't line up at all. I was also disappointed by this.

laika09

I'm talking more about the enemies and summons and stuff in battles, which don't line up with the games at all.

Wait until you play the FFXII and FFXIII fields, you will see a big difference.

*edit

Enemies don't line up at all. I was also disappointed by this.

The "bosses" do line up. I get what you mean though.

5amshift

Banned
My god, Zanarkand on Dark Note: 1st Movement is seriously annoying with all the "tss" noises made from the Field Music green notes.

Aeana

The FF3 event part made me really happy. I just replayed FF3 Famicom a couple of months ago, but I already want to do it again. I wish more people would give the original a shot; it's so much better than the DS version.

laika09

The FF3 event part made me really happy. I just replayed FF3 Famicom a couple of months ago, but I already want to do it again. I wish more people would give the original a shot; it's so much better than the DS version.

Yes. I played it for the first time in March and it immediately became one of my favorites.

Kazerei

Banned
I just spent all evening grinding crystals. So far I have Cid, Faris, Locke, Vivi, and Ashe, and I'm close to a few more.

Anyone want to help me out, what bosses drop Orange shards? I've been grinding all evening trying to get Vivi but I can't seem to find any bosses that drop them. :(

Aeana

It sure would be nice if the footage during the event sequences wasn't left in Japanese. I know it's a bit of extra work, but it makes the translation seem half-assed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Few things:

1. Was playing the Ultimate Score for Aerith's Theme and
    the way the first few beats mimic the matetia falling outta her and bouncing around was a brilliant, unexpected, little touch! :)
I think that was the intent of the original since the first few notes matched up then, but it's still rather sweet.

Anyway, back to the crystal grind with me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

If you take every skill and ability off your characters you will no longer get summons or chocobos.

You also won't get the extended bit on event battles.

zroid

Banned
It sure would be nice if the footage during the event sequences wasn't left in Japanese. I know it's a bit of extra work, but it makes the translation seem half-assed.

Indeed. But I guess we should be thankful we got this game at all. :(

The localization is pretty solid anyway, outside of the event scenes. They did good work on those battle cries!

Yes, I'm back, the allure was too great

Sallokin

I was totally going to pass on this game because it just sounded ridiculous to me. Picked it up yesterday based on this thread and some other positive impressions and I can't fathom how I thought this wouldn't be a complete blast to play.

kiryogi

Banned

I don't know how feasible it would have been. . . They'd have to redo the footage outright. Then there's having to splice up assets for domestic/different versions of 2 and 3. . .

zroid

Banned
I don't know how feasible it would have been. . . They'd have to redo the footage outright. Then there's having to splice up assets for domestic/different versions of 2 and 3. . .

Would have been hilarious if they used the DS remake of 3.

Aeana

I can think of a pretty easy way to do it. When they were recording footage of the Japanese games, they could have created something akin to emulator movies, like the ones used for TAS videos, and then they could have played them back on the English versions as well, and it would not have added a dramatic amount of work. Honestly, there are always ways to automate stuff like this. Obviously that doesn't work too well for 2 and 3, but they could have kept those in Japanese or just simply translated the screens they showed in a video editor/image editor.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sometimes the chart feels like it's so off-tempo.

Take the start of Battle On The Big Bridge (Ultimate) for example. The taps are definitely off tempo. If you were to hit on beat, you end up hitting late and only get "Good" or "Great" timing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I found that I was getting more bads and misses when I turned the hiss off so I turned it back on after an hour or so.

No longer have a major issue with slide trigger inputs (thank goodness)

Now I have a major problem with trigger inputs for the Event Music Stages in the latter titles in general. Holy hell, the number of greats and goods I keep getting seems to increase each time. It's really getting on my nerves

Aeana

I just did my first chaos shrine thing and had a blast. The second movement for it was the ending movie theme from FF12, and I actually missed several. Got a B - first time I haven't gotten an S. I can't wait to do more of those.

Top Bottom