• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

eXistor

Having so much fun with this! A shame you have to play on lower difficulties before you can tackle the only one that's actaully somewhat challenging, resulting in a lot of unnessecary grinding. But hey, the music's great so who really cares.

Famassu

The rhythm mechanics are not all that great, due largely in part to the imprecise slides that need to be input.
There's nothing imprecise in them. I've had no problem with them. You're doing something wrong.

The charting is not that great either...a lot of the time it feels as though the charting has almost nothing to do with the music.
Are you playing on easy? Because on the Ultimate difficulty level they definitely go with the music perfectly.

As a rhythm game it pales in comparison to Elite Beat Agents and Rhythm Heaven, IMO.
Maybe to Ouendan, but no chance in hell this loses to Rhythm Heaven. Much better than it and, imho, it's a tie with Ouendan. Ouendan's gameplay is perhaps a tiny bit better, but Theatrhythm's music selection destroy's Ouendan's in both quality and quantity.

Chairhome

People keep talking about the sliding being imprecise but I haven't had a problem at all. I'm only playing basic and getting S ranks though, maybe it becomes harder to do multiple slides one after the other once I reach harder difficulties but right now it's pretty perfect.

I think its the same problem people had with Rhythm Heaven on DS. They're just not hitting it at the right time, so they think its imprecise. I had no problem with RH DS, despite the complaints. This game doesn't seem to have problems (to me), but I can admit that I'm not doing as well as I predicted, haha. I thought I'd be destroying this game, but its pretty humbling!

I have to admit that some of the charting is questionable to me (I hear no beats when I'm supposed to tap on some songs), but that might just be me.

How are you guys playing it, posture wise? my shoulder/arm gets tired after a little bit, but its been fatigued from working out, too, so this probably isn't helping. I've tried holding it, playing it on a stand and playing it flat on a table, and I'm not sure which I prefer yet.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I never had any problems with Rhythm Heaven.
There's nothing imprecise in them. I've had no problem with them. You're doing something wrong.
It's very easy to miss a Swiping command when you have a quick succession of inputs because the screen requires you to exaggerate the motion. Shit should have been flicking instead of swiping.

laika09

I never had any problems with Rhythm Heaven.

It's very easy to miss a Swiping command when you have a quick succession of inputs because the screen requires you to exaggerate the motion. Shit should have been flicking instead of swiping.

I doubt the shitty 3DS resistive stylus input is precise enough to account for flick motions.

TheExodu5

Banned
Are you playing on easy? Because on the Ultimate difficulty level they definitely go with the music perfectly.

The holds make absolutely no sense in some songs. They seem to be thrown in for difficulty's sake...nothing more. See: Dancing Mad on Ultimate.

The nature of slides is imprecise.

When does a tap register? When I tap the stylus. When does a slide register? Is it at the start of the slide, partway through the slide, the end of the slide? How big does the motion need to be?

In practice, I find the slides aren't interpretted very well by the game. Occasionally it'll read my slide early...occasionally it'll read it late, and sometimes it won't read it at all and I don't know why (maybe I didn't slide fast enough, maybe I slid too fast, maybe I didn't exagerate the motion enough, etc.). I had far less issues with the flicks in Rhythm Heaven, by comparison.

Famassu

the screen requires you to exaggerate the motion.
No it doesn't? I can do very subdued movements and still get it right. Again, seems like you're doing something wrong.

Shit should have been flicking instead of swiping.
But... it DOES count flicking, if I understand the verb correctly (a kind of quick & short movement to the desired direction). I have no problems in, say, The Man with the Machine Gun in the part where you have to do something like Down, Downleft, Left, Up in quick succession.

Chairhome

No it doesn't? I can do very subdued movements and still get it right. Again, seems like you're doing something wrong.

But... it DOES count flicking, if I understand the verb correctly (a kind of quick & short movement to the desired direction). I have no problems in, say, The Man with the Machine Gun in the part where you have to do something like Down, Downleft, Left, Up in quick succession.

Yeah, I don't really get the separation. I think I'm flicking for most of them, seems like it works the same as sliding.

Famassu

The holds make absolutely no sense in some songs. They seem to be thrown in for difficulty's sake...nothing more. See: Dancing Mad on Ultimate.
Haven't played Dancing Mad, but the songs I have played the holds have made sense. It doesn't always mean there's a long note or something, though.

When does a tap register? When I tap the stylus. When does a slide register? Is it at the start of the slide, partway through the slide, the end of the slide? How big does the motion need to be?

In practice, I find the slides aren't interpretted very well by the game. Occasionally it'll read my slide early...occasionally it'll read it late, and sometimes it won't read it at all and I don't know why (maybe I didn't slide fast enough, maybe I slid too fast, maybe I didn't exagerate the motion enough, etc.). I had far less issues with the flicks in Rhythm Heaven, by comparison.
Umm.. yeah, you're just making it too hard for yourself. You flick quickly to the direction at the same time as you would tap a non-flicky "note". That's it. You don't start the flick early, you don't sweep the screen slowly. You hardly have to even touch the screen. Again, the problem is with you, not the game.

zroid

Banned
I'm also not quite sure what the difference between "flicking" and "sliding" is, even my smallest swipes do get recognized. :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah, I don't really get the separation. I think I'm flicking for most of them, seems like it works the same as sliding.

Agreed. As I posted earlier, to me it seems you need to start going in the direction needed as your stylus hits the screen. If you put the stylus to the screen first and then swipe/slide/flick/whatever you want to call it, there's a chance it may register you going in a different direction first giving you a bad right away.

I noticed I had a tendency doing that if I didn't consciously make sure I was going in the proper direction from the start of the motion - i.e. I'd tap the stylus on the screen first for an upcoming up arrow and accidentally move it a tiny bit in the down direction before moving it up if I wasn't paying close attention.

I'm also not quite sure what the difference between "flicking" and "sliding" is, even my smallest swipes do get recognized. :(

I suspect this is the main issue people are having - its pretty damn sensitive, so if its picking up even the smallest movement deviation that a player may be unaware they're doing, it'll seem off to them.

rpmurphy

It takes very little distance for the slide to register, which is why some of the hold+slide notes can be rather challenging on harder difficulties. I have no problem with the single slide notes myself, even consecutive ones; however, I think that the timing window is wider on the tail end than the front end.

Chairhome

I've always just "slashed" the screen for the slides. I don't rest the stylus before the note (except for the green ones where you have to hold first), I just swipe at the screen in the direction when the note comes up, I've never had a problem.

Nymerio

What's the best way to play in terms of equipment? I unequipped everything but now I don't get the feature zones which I really liked. But if I use spells and stuff I loose the ridiculously good Stoic bonus :/

XiaNaphryz

What's the best way to play in terms of equipment? I unequipped everything but now I don't get the feature zones which I really liked. But if I use spells and stuff I loose the ridiculously good Stoic bonus :/

Play without equipment/skills for score, w/ equipment/skills for farming items.

Man I got mixed up and thought it came out later in the month but thats KH lol, picking it up tomorrow hopefully!

FFXI stuff will be my first DLC!

aett

Do you eventually get an easy way to level up low-leveled characters? My main four (Bartz, Terra, Tidus, Squall) are level 26 and I want to try out other characters, but I swapped Tidus for Lightning and she only gained one level after a song.

XiaNaphryz

Do you eventually get an easy way to level up low-leveled characters? My main four (Bartz, Terra, Tidus, Squall) are level 26 and I want to try out other characters, but I swapped Tidus for Lightning and she only gained one level after a song.

If you can find an Ultimate track you find easy, those can give quite a bit of XP.

Munkyspace

Set the character you want to be "power-leveled" as your party leader and equip the Exp boost item (I, II, or III depending on how fast you want it).

Go through one music stage and the leader will learn Exp Boost of whatever level you equipped.

Guess it sorta relies on you having that Exp Boost scroll to set that whole little plan into motion.

Yeah, they show up in Challenge, but not under the corresponding game. There's a new category.

Where do these show up in Challenge Mode? I only have options for the 13 main titles and the 3 songs that correspond with them in Series Mode. I have cleared each Series on basic and played and beaten 3 dark notes. Is there another requirement for the dark note tracks to show up for Challenge?

Set the character you want to be "power-leveled" as your party leader and equip the Exp boost item (I, II, or III depending on how fast you want it).

Go through one music stage and the leader will learn Exp Boost of whatever level you equipped.

Guess it sorta relies on you having that Exp Boost scroll to set that whole little plan into motion.

That doesnt speed things up much - exp boost 1 for example only gives you 10% extra XP.

zroid

Banned
Where do these show up in Challenge Mode? I only have options for the 13 main titles and the 3 songs that correspond with them in Series Mode. I have cleared each Series on basic and played and beaten 3 dark notes. Is there another requirement for the dark note tracks to show up for Challenge?

Honestly, I'm not even sure. But when you get a new song available in Challenge, it'll be stuffed into a new category between the slots for I and XIII.

Munkyspace

Dark Note tracks won't get unlocked in Challenge mode any way other than through rm. beating the songs in the shrine won't move them to Challenge mode. But when you do get enough rm, songs will get unlocked under their own Challenge category called Chaos.

Dark Note tracks won't get unlocked in Challenge mode any way other than through rm. beating the songs in the shrine won't move them to Challenge mode. But when you do get enough rm, songs will get unlocked under their own Challenge category called Chaos.

Ok thanks, any idea how much rm before you start unlocking additional tracks?

Bururian

I've seen some people here mention they've gotten better than an S ranking, like SS and SSS. I've gotten all critical on a few songs and only achieved S ranks. How do I get these precious SS and SSS ranks?

Westraid

I've seen some people here mention they've gotten better than an S ranking, like SS and SSS. I've gotten all critical on a few songs and only achieved S ranks. How do I get these precious SS and SSS ranks?
IIRC, un-equip everything will enable you to rank higher than S. With equipment/skills S is the highest you can achieve.

Westraid

Does that include abilities equipped to the character, or just items?
Sorry for being unclear, you must unequip both the skills and the items, so just click on 'un-equip all' and you're good to go. :)

At the end of a stage, in the upper left corner, you'll see 'stoic bonus' and you get more points for it.

denshuu

You have to play without any items. Your score is usually capped at 799999, but not using skills/items gives you a 200000 point boost, putting you at 999999 max (SS rank is anything above 800000 I think). If you get All Critical, it's SSS.

Edit: And Westraid beat me and that's what happens when you reply to stuff without hitting F5, gg denshuu.

Bururian

Sorry for being unclear, you must unequip both the skills and the items, so just click on 'un-equip all' and you're good to go. :)

At the end of a stage, in the upper left corner, you'll see 'stoic bonus' and you get more points for it.

Thanks for that! I was wondering why the score capped out before a 8mil.
09B3T.jpg

Synless

What is the Total Critcal stat that slowly grows? A few of mine have maxed out and gained little crowns over them.

laika09

You have to play without any items. Your score is usually capped at 799999, but not using skills/items gives you a 200000 point boost, putting you at 999999 max (SS rank is anything above 800000 I think). If you get All Critical, it's SSS.

Edit: And Westraid beat me and that's what happens when you reply to stuff without hitting F5, gg denshuu.

If I remember right, S is actually 7mil-8999999, SS is 9mil-9999998, and SSS is 9999999.

What is the Total Critcal stat that slowly grows? A few of mine have maxed out and gained little crowns over them.

Just means you've criticaled every note in the song at some point or another.

Whats this about passwords? Did I miss something?

If you enter the passwords on the collectacard screen then you can redeem prizes.

Top Bottom