• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

TheExodu5

Banned
I just realized why I don't really like the EMS stages...they run at 30fps. Feels a lot less responsive.

I REALLY wish they hadn't designed the scoring and item/skill-equipping aspects of the game to exist at odds with one another. It sucks to miss out on a fairly big chunk of the gameplay simply because I like going for high scores.

Yeah, I agree with that. Why should 100% criticals with items be worth less than 100% criticals without items? It makes no sense at all.

Munkyspace

Yeah, I agree with that. Why should 100% criticals with items be worth less than 100% criticals without items? It makes no sense at all.

For the same reason that taking down a charging elephant with a chain gun is less impressive than taking it down naked, I suppose.

Kazerei

Banned
Got a trophy for perfect chaining a dark note (both movements). So I decided to check out the trophy list, and daaaamn, there's a lot of them. There's even one for perfect chaining all songs on ultimate. I wonder if anybody's got that one yet.

rpmurphy

Got a trophy for perfect chaining a dark note (both movements). So I decided to check out the trophy list, and daaaamn, there's a lot of them. There's even one for perfect chaining all songs on ultimate. I wonder if anybody's got that one yet.
Is there one for all criticals on all ultimate? That would be crazy. :p

TheExodu5

Banned
For the same reason that taking down a charging elephant with a chain gun is less impressive than taking it down naked, I suppose.

Items don't actually help you to hit a full combo though, as far as I know. They help you survive or farm for more items, but they don't help you to hit notes.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't mind the dichotomy - I go unequipped for Series/Challenge runs, and fully equipped for Chaos Shrine runs.

hamchan

I REALLY wish they hadn't designed the scoring and item/skill-equipping aspects of the game to exist at odds with one another. It sucks to miss out on a fairly big chunk of the gameplay simply because I like going for high scores.

You shouldn't be missing any gameplay. Unequip items and skills for challenge and series mode. Turn them back on when you play dark notes since dark notes are all about killing enemies instead of getting high scores. That's the way you're supposed to experience both sides.

I just realized why I don't really like the EMS stages...they run at 30fps. Feels a lot less responsive.

Touch controls are still read at 60 fps apparently, even if the video is 30fps, so it shouldn't interfere much with gameplay.

zroid

Banned
I don't mind the dichotomy - I go unequipped for Series/Challenge runs, and fully equipped for Chaos Shrine runs.

This is my approach as well. Thankfully they implemented a preset, probably realizing that people would be frequently taking their crap on/off.

The system more or less works, even though it's a little dumb.

Teknoman

This game is so much nostalgia overload for the games I've played...

But I'm going to blaspheme a little now: One Winged Angel should NOT have been the FF7 battle song. Both the regular battle song (Those Who Fight) and the boss song (Those Who Fight Further) would have been better. One Winged Angel should have been an unlockable... and hard as nails, too.

Thats not blasphemy, its truth. Birth of God and Jenova would have also been great, or special BMS scenarios where you have to fight classic multi-tier bosses in SD form.

Also wish Sabin and/or Cyan were included in the roster.

matthwq

Banned
I really wish this game had an actual playable version of "Main Theme of Final Fantasy V." Such an epic, beautiful, catchy, upbeat song.

XiaNaphryz

Are there any arranged versions of tracks that become playable as opposed to the original game tracks? I hear arranged tracks on the menu screens.

Still feels sluggish. =\

Yeah, some EMS songs feel sluggish especially in the beginning of the track. I'm pretty used to it now though.

The worst thing about EMS is that the track isn't set at a consistent speed. I hate when you've got a good rhythm going then you get to a hold note that just takes off in speed compared to what you've been playing. Same with the track slowing down. That's only really a problem the first few times you play a song though. Once you know the song well enough it should be easy to get used to.

Burnburn

Finally got this game! I went through 8! different stores and none off them had it(Some stores don't get this game, ever). I travelled 32 km from city to city to find it. Lucky me, I could grab the last copy in a gameshop.

Played some songs on the lowest difficulty, which is alright. This game will get great when the difficulty ramps up! Can't wait.

XiaNaphryz

Whoa, really, must've missed that. Need to go back to Series and check!

Yeah, clearing all the Expert tracks within a game in Challenge unlocks the Expert version of that game in Series - the game gives you a little message even stating it's unlocked when you finish the last track in that game series. Same with Ultimate, so you can have Expert and Ultimate series.

zroid

Banned
Just beating the 3 songs on Expert or Ultimate in Challenge mode unlocks that difficulty for that game in Series mode.

Ah, so you have to beat them on Expert as well? That explains it. Have only done a sparse few of those so far.

Yeah, clearing all the Expert tracks within a game in Challenge unlocks the Expert version of that game in Series - the game gives you a little message even stating it's unlocked when you finish the last track in that game series. Same with Ultimate, so you can have Expert and Ultimate series.

Excellent.

Westraid

Not a deal breaker, but does this have online versus?
You choose a Dark Note, character, and rather than playing all four, every participant plays one character. HP is shared, so if one dies, you all die.
Really wish it wasn't just local. No one in my area seems to have a 3DS. I need to go to a demo 3DS in the store to get Streetpass hits. foreveralone.jpg

Well i've done the main series mode, it was enjoyable.
I did a few dark notes previously but now with the series out of the way i'm made to return to the one i'm stuck on "Battle to the Death" which is absolutely ri-goddamn-diculous, those accursed arrow markers, they are sending me to my death!

I'm not a fan of the way the other songs are hidden, if I understand correctly you either stumble across them by chance in dark notes or grind them out with the Rhythmia, that's a bit lame if so.

Westraid

Someone on GameFAQs posted this image:
bali.jpg

Real or not, time will tell, but getting DLC songs and DLC characters as well would be fantastic!
Leon, Vincent Valentine, Cid Raines, Rinoa Heartilly, Auron... I'd buy that for a dollar.

EDIT: Corrected links.

I finished playing each series in Basic last night. 'Twas fun, but I kinda wish there were more songs to play right away, or at least slowly unlocked. The Dark Note I'm currently on is pretty difficult for me. At least the second song. D:

Someone on Gamespot posted this image:
bali.jpg

Real or not, time will tell, but getting DLC songs and DLC characters as well would be fantastic!
Leon, Vincent Valentine, Cid Raines, Rinoa Heartily, Auron... I'd buy that for a dollar.

its actually gamefaqs, but man i hope they release villains as well.

come on Garland!

Teknoman

You choose a Dark Note, character, and rather than playing all four, every participant plays one character. HP is shared, so if one dies, you all die.
Really wish it wasn't just local. No one in my area seems to have a 3DS. I need to go to a demo 3DS in the store to get Streetpass hits. foreveralone.jpg

Just take it everywhere you go, you'll be surprised where you get hits. Just the other day I got a hit from someone by leaving my 3DS in the car when I went grocery shopping.

Now getting a hit from someone with a specific game? That is a challenge.

EDIT: I'd like to see Barrett, Cid Highwind, Sabin, Cyan, Auron, Steiner, Galuf, Tellah, and Sazh. Balthier would have been on the list, but I see he's already coming...so i'll say Basch or Fran. Aldo from XI would be cool.

Westraid

Just take it everywhere you go, you'll be surprised where you get hits. Just the other day I got a hit from someone by leaving my 3DS in the car when I went grocery shopping.

Now getting a hit from someone with a specific game? That is a challenge.
It's a problem I live in a small town. For work I often go to bigger cities and then I do get streetpass hits from actual 3DS owners, but never more than 1 or 2 each time.
Oh well I can always bug the game store owner into bringing his 3DS.

Just unlocked Blinded By Light...man that song is a lot of fun! Love it!
Same here! I'm glad it doesn't take long to unlock it, it's such a blast to play.

Bururian

I have never been a fan of DLC, but for a rhythm game with Final Fantasy music? I've already purchased all the DLC available, and will purchase it as it comes out.

I have 4 characters at level 99 now. May switch them out with 4 fresh characters.

I got lucky and was able to get another one of those items that increases the EXP you get after a battle, which I'll be using on my fresh characters.
Edit: Used the item on 4, level 1 people...Perfect Chained an Ultimate Score, and they all gained about 13 levels.

Recorded 2 videos:

(One-Winged Angel Ultimate Score Perfect Chain/11 greats)
http://youtu.be/CrxR8en1bS0?hd=1

(Dark Note: No.91 Mv.83 Waltz "This Tyrant's Castle.")
http://youtu.be/iDxlzGzsKDo?hd=1

Damn those spinning arrow notes! lol. But I enjoy the added challenge.

I'm trying to find the best way to record gameplay. So sorry if the videos don't look amazing. Decided to also connect my 3DS to a speaker. So awesome.

If you have any requests for videos, I'll try my best to record it.

I live in NYC..I need to go walk around and see if I get any Streetpasses. NYC is big enough...SOMEONE out there must have the game lol.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Am I too much of a fanboy if I got goosebumps and even a little tear in my eye during some segments?
It really feels like the perfect anniversary title, because it makes me want to play the FF games again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Am I too much of a fanboy if I got goosebumps and even a little tear in my eye during some segments?
It really feels like the perfect anniversary title, because it makes me want to play the FF games again.
Nah. I really broke down the first time I played Suteki da ne.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Torn.

Love FF music and especially the older games. Hate this genre of game, and could not at all get into games like Elite Beat Agents or Gitaroo man.

Unsure to buy.

Teknoman

Torn.

Love FF music and especially the older games. Hate this genre of game, and could not at all get into games like Elite Beat Agents or Gitaroo man.

Unsure to buy.

This might break the barrier for you. I dont like rhythm games that much, or at least i'm not a huge fan (only really liked Gitaroo man, but thats because it was pretty off beat/had a cool soundtrack and premise), but if you like FF music in the least bit, i'd give it a shot.

Touch controls are still read at 60 fps apparently, even if the video is 30fps, so it shouldn't interfere much with gameplay.

The display framerate is an order of magnitude more important to gameplay than the input polling rate. In fact, the vast majority of music games determine their note judgements based on the displayed video frame.

Top Bottom