• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

How long did it take this game to update for y'all? Been upwards of 20 minutes for me, time estimate is jumping around between a half hour and 2 hours. What the fuck is it even updating? I pre-loaded the game.

I preloaded as well and it took about 35 mins. for the additional download and decryption.

v0mitg0d

Quick question:

Are you folks getting it on PS4 or X1? Does anyone know if there's a graphical comparison out there anywhere?

I know the PS4 version runs at a higher resolution, but doesnt the framerate drop? What about visual effects like DOF?

Thanks in advanced!

Chabbles

I just reached Chapter 1. I assume it's possible to revisit the location in the prologue? IIRC, there were 9 collectables and I the only one I grabbed was that near the start, behind the painting.

Edit: Err, I'm not sure where I got 9 from: my journal just says 1/84. Anywho, my question still stands.

Edit edit: Ah, when you find a collectable a notification in the bottom-left-hand corner states how many are in that particular set.

In the Rev3games gameplay walkthough/interview, the Dev specifically said how you could go back and play any level as many times as you like, to collect anything you missed first time around.

Quick question:

Are you folks getting it on PS4 or X1? Does anyone know if there's a graphical comparison out there anywhere?

I know the PS4 version runs at a higher resolution, but doesnt the framerate drop? What about visual effects like DOF?

Thanks in advanced!

I'd like to know as well - I've got the PS4 version preordered :/

jrcbandit

Seems like another game where Master difficulty should have been normal. This game is a lot like Knack in that respect, not a very fun game at normal difficulty but Thief starts to shine at hard difficulty plus a few extra options like no focus. Of course most game reviewers will review games at easy or normal difficulty to get through it as quickly as possible...

SJRB

Gold Member
Unlocked the game. Booted it up and yeah......

The game doesn't scale very well to lower end PC rigs at all which is very surprising considering the engine being used (UE3). I think I understand why even the curent gen consoles (PS4/Xbone) are struggling to hit 30 FPS and have dips at their respective resolutions. The CPU is being absolutely choked when loading up newer zones leading to drops to as low as 0 - 5 FPS.

Loading times are also pretty atrocious.

This is probably the worst performing UE3 based game I've ever played on my PC. They really botched up the optimization phase.

Well shit. How is that even possible in a five-year dev cycle?

Jito

Banned
I have encountered a game-stopping bug on this room(warning, shitty steam screenshot ahead):

jFXNQ1qneCBaO.jpg

What's the bug? Holding E to pass through doesn't work I take it?

Lady Gaia

I just couldn't do it. Preorder cancelled for refund. I might reconsider if a post-launch patch and bargain bin prices make it worth my while, but otherwise? Sheesh.

In the Rev3games gameplay walkthough/interview, the Dev specifically said how you could go back and play any level as many times as you like, to collect anything you missed first time around.

Make sure to remember where each level entry is... they don't mark them on the map once you beat the game and finding them is a pain in the ass.

what? thats not true

Yes it is :D

Ricker

Quick question:

Thanks in advanced!

I rented this on the PS4 and damn,the port is pretty bad...it probably doesnt look a lot better then the PS3 version and the framerate is all over the place...I usually dont mind the occasional dips and all but this is ridiculous...I hope there is a patch coming or something...?

I am also having a lot of problems switching and equipping things with the touchpad,I hope there is another option for this,I will check later...did the prologue and stopped at the start of chapter 1...

Vitor711

I still don't really understand the ending. Rhianna really dropped the story for this one, not nearly as good as I was hoping. Disappointed, I'd figured she would've done a better job.

You know that she didn't publicly announce her involvement in this game right until yesterday? You know that's likely because she was not happy with how it turned out?

I doubt it's her fault really. Sounds like she was frustrated with the entire writing process and chose to not let it taint her name due to possible lack of any authorial control on her part. Can't say I blame her.

codhand

im sure it gets better, and the 3D looks great, but man that opening segment is a full frontal assualt on old Thief games, and im not even a huge OG Thief fan.

It went something like this

Cutscene, steal, alley, steal, run, loading, cutscene, cutscene, loading

Pollux

EatChildren, would you say this is worth purchasing at $9.99 (technically $5 for me actually)? I was thinking of taking advantage of the trade 2 for a 9.99 new game deal going on at Gamestop today.

I'm on their website and don't see this deal...any link to where it is?

Picked up a Steam code for Thief on eBay for $24. Not too shabby considering I was going to bite on the X1 version for $60+tax. Looking forward to diving in after work, woohoo!

Jito

Banned
Nope, reloading doesn't work either.

Unlucky man, have you tried reloading the whole level and not just the checkpoint?

I've been really enjoying the game myself. Feels enough like Thief to me sneaking about the City and dodging guards in the shadows. The only big issue I've encountered so far are sound bugs in cut scenes, some characters are really quiet or the lip syncing messes up.

daman824

Fuck. So hows the framerate compare between the xb1 and ps4? And inventory manegment is tacked onto the touchpad? I was really hoping the ps4 would just be better in all aspects. Is df going to compare them soon?

And how does the touchpad work for inventory manegment?

I still don't really understand the ending. Rhianna really dropped the story for this one, not nearly as good as I was hoping. Disappointed, I'd figured she would've done a better job.

Pratchett wrote this one as well?

Has she EVER wrote a good game story?

Mirrors Edge
Tomb Raider

And now Thief

v0mitg0d

Fuck. So hows the framerate compare between the xb1 and ps4? And inventory manegment is tacked onto the touchpad? I was really hoping the ps4 would just be better in all aspects. Is df going to compare them soon?

And how does the touchpad work for inventory manegment?

Several people (including myself) have asked these questions, and unfortunately no one seems to know the answer. :(

Several people (including myself) have asked these questions, and unfortunately no one seems to know the answer. :(

There has got to be someone in GAF who's had in depth experience with the PS4 (or XB1) build? Someone who had reviewed the game on either of those platforms?

I'd just like to know if the visuals look next gen and how the PS4 frame rate holds up during extended play sessions....

Sectus

Hmm, I've played for about 6 hours with FlyVPN but now steam suddenly refuses to connect online. Not sure why that is the case. The VPN itself is working as I can use other programs with it. I'm getting almost worried.

Edit: Looking at Netlimiter, I can see steam sending and receiving data when trying to connect, so it's definitely got a connection established. I dunno why it's refusing me to go online.

Edit 2: Rebooting fixed the problem. Still not sure what the problem was, but eh!

I did one of the ealistest side missions, forgot something and tried to go back immediately after leaving, wasnt possible

You have to beat the entire game first.

There has got to be someone in GAF who's had in depth experience with the PS4 (or XB1) build? Someone who had reviewed the game on either of those platforms?

I'd just like to know if the visuals look next gen and how the PS4 frame rate holds up during extended play sessions....

Visuals can look like they have some nextgen features at times but nothing amazing stand out. The atmosphere is great though. I can't speak for xbox 1 but PS4 framerate def dips often but never really affected my gameplay. It was noticable but never a bother.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Loadtimes on PC for me are extremely fast. I'd say 2-3 seconds for an in-level save game load, 3-5 seconds for area change:

i5 2.8ghz, 660ti, 12 gig ram, win 64

You have to beat the entire game first.

Visuals can look like they have some nextgen features at times but nothing amazing stand out. The atmosphere is great though. I can't speak for xbox 1 but PS4 framerate def dips often but never really affected my gameplay. It was noticable but never a bother.

Thank you!

I'm excited about being sucked into a dark and gloomy world. I need something immersive, a counterbalance. I've been sucked in by the vibrant voodoo (on WiiU): DKTF.

^_^

I'll keep my preorder and pick it up this afternoon.

That was easy :)

Ricker

For those wondering about the touchpad...you have to push down on it to leave it open and then slide your finger to one of the icons but it doesnt always work,you accidently get out of it and have to retry...I am trying to go from the water arrows to an empty bottle to throw but it takes me 3 or 4 tries to select the bottle...maybe its just me but its annoying...

Also about the framerate,like I mentionned before,it's not good so far on the PS4...maybe the game wasn't fully installed...I could play it after about 2 minutes...its choppy for example when you switch from a cutscene into a loading and back,like it cuts out or something...not very smooth and if its 1080p,it can fool me because it looks nothing like AC4...

My PS4 is on standby mode now,to recharge the controller so if it wasn't all installed and that is what was causing all the hiccups,I will soon find out...

Thank you!

I'm excited about being sucked into a dark and gloomy world. I need something immersive, a counterbalance. I've been sucked in by the vibrant voodoo (on WiiU): DKTF.

^_^

I'll keep my preorder and pick it up this afternoon.

That was easy :)

Oh I know the feeling. Let's just say after Thief, I put in DK for the first time and it was a perfect counter balance to the gloom and doom I mentioned. Did you happen to see my video review on Thief?

So I went to Metacritic to see what people think, and... wow...

Metacritic's user reviews are so pathetic. If someone dislikes a game, they'll give it a 0 to try and make the average score as low as possible. If someone likes a game, they'll give it a 10 to try and counter the 0s and increase the score. The result is a pissing and shitting contest flooded with 0s and 10s and very few good, honest reviews with reasonable scores in between.

They need to do away with user averages all-together, but still allow people to write reviews for games. Since there'd no longer be any incentive to give a game a 0 or 10 even if it didn't deserve it (there'd be no average to reflect the ridiculous scores) I think we'd see much better user reviews that way. Sadly, however, the current system will likely never change.

Unlocked the game. Booted it up and yeah......

The game doesn't scale very well to lower end PC rigs at all which is very surprising considering the engine being used (UE3). I think I understand why even the curent gen consoles (PS4/Xbone) are struggling to hit 30 FPS and have dips at their respective resolutions. The CPU is being absolutely choked when loading up newer zones leading to drops to as low as 0 - 5 FPS.

Loading times are also pretty atrocious.

This is probably the worst performing UE3 based game I've ever played on my PC. They really botched up the optimization phase.

Can you list your specs?

Oh I know the feeling. Let's just say after Thief, I put in DK for the first time and it was a perfect counter balance to the gloom and doom I mentioned. Did you happen to see my video review on Thief?

No...

....but I did now.

Great review and pretty much in sync with gaming palette cleansers ;0)

SJRB

Gold Member
I usually refrain from promoting livestreams, but Dan from Dansgaming is about to start a PS4 playthrough on hardest difficulty.
I consider Dan to be a very fair and balanced guy, and he's also a good gamer in general. If anyone is on the fence and just wants to check the game out, I can recommend moving over to his stream on Twitch.

Top Bottom