• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is so... different (cel shader mod for Doom 3)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
http://www.junkguy.tk/

celshaderscreen1.jpg

celshaderscreen2.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
olimario said:
Cel shading doesn't make bad art good.
It does make bad art stand out less, though.

I think he was talking about the Hello Kitty flashlight pics. :p

IJoel

I was actually drawing parallels to Killer 7.

"OMG! IT'S JAPANESE!"

"IT HAS CEL SHADED BLOOD!"

"IT'S A SUPER STYLISH SHOOTER!"

"BESTEST ART EVER!"

"Ewwww look at Doom 3 demons, they are soooo generic..."

dark10x

olimario said:
Hello Kitty Flashlights don't make bad art good, just creepy.

It was a joke, obviously. Ya know, "OMG teh Japanese art is in teh Doom!!11, it must be good!" :p

I actually think Doom 3 has suprisingly GOOD art direction in game, though...and features perhaps the best animation we've seen in any FPS on any platform (which was REALLY suprising).

human5892

Queen of Denmark
IJoel said:

"OMG! IT'S JAPANESE!"

"BESTEST ART EVER!"

I agree with the "JAPAN=GOOD ART WEST=SHIT" commentary, but honestly, I really do think that the Doom 3 demons (at least those I've seen) are terribly generic.

dark10x

human5892 said:
I agree with the "JAPAN=GOOD ART WEST=SHIT" commentary, but honestly, I really do think that the Doom 3 demons (at least those I've seen) are terribly generic.

Have you actually played the game, though? I used to think the game had a generic look...but it really doesn't. It isn't just the technology either. Far Cry stands above Doom 3 from a technology stand point, but I still feel that it looks UTLRA generic at times (with the outdoor areas being the ONLY saving grace). Doom 3's art direction is actually pretty nice.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
dark10x said:
Have you actually played the game, though? I used to think the game had a generic look...but it really doesn't. It isn't just the technology either. Far Cry stands above Doom 3 from a technology stand point, but I still feel that it looks UTLRA generic at times (with the outdoor areas being the ONLY saving grace). Doom 3's art direction is actually pretty nice.
I have not, although I have seen plenty of videos/screenshots (mostly because I knew I'd never be able to play and wanted to know what I'd be missing). Most of the monsters I saw looked like the margins of my 8th grade notebooks rendered in very nice-looking 3D.
As I said, though, I've not played the game, so I suppose there is the possibility that I've only seen certain "bad-looking" monsters that don't represent the whole game. But from what I have seen, it's pretty uninspired.

dark10x

human5892 said:
I have not, although I have seen plenty of videos/screenshots (mostly because I knew I'd never be able to play and wanted to know what I'd be missing). Most of the monsters I saw looked like the margins of my 8th grade notebooks rendered in very nice-looking 3D.
As I said, though, I've not played the game, so I suppose there is the possibility that I've only seen certain "bad-looking" monsters that don't represent the whole game. But from what I have seen, it's pretty uninspired.

They look pretty decent in game, though, and that's the main point. You rarely get the chance to focus on them. So, while their actual design may be a bit generic, the way they move and look IN game is very different. Surely animation counts for something when judging art...

dark10x said:
They look pretty decent in game, though, and that's the main point. You rarely get the chance to focus on them. So, while their actual design may be a bit generic, the way they move and look IN game is very different. Surely animation counts for something when judging art...

I'm gonna back his points up and even take them a step further.

I too, thought the doom demons looked pretty dumb until I actually sat down and played the game, but when you actually have to square off against those flaming skulls, i gotta say they're pretty spooky. In fact, the whole game seemed to have a sortof cheesy domeonic thing going for it in previews and screenshots and even the early leaked alpha and beta, but the final is much, much more twisted and evil.

It's cliche to say it, but it's really true. When you're playing the full, final game, it takes on a MUCH different flair than all the media seems to give off.

The atmosphere and art direction fit so perfectly together that I honestly think the two in conjunction are among the best I've seen. Each contributes so much to the effect of the other, that to seperate them and judge them individually would simply be missing the point.

Flynn

IJoel said:

"OMG! IT'S JAPANESE!"

"BESTEST ART EVER!"

How lame is that Doom 3's shortcut is a pentagram?

I guess I should scribble the Van Halen logo and a sketch of Eddie from Iron Maiden on my desktop to complete the vibe.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Flynn said:

I guess I should scribble the Van Halen logo and a sketch of Eddie from Iron Maiden on my desktop to complete the vibe.

indeed.

comparing skeletons with rockets on their shoulders to killer 7 is a bit of a stretch guys.

IJoel

Flynn said:

Yes, we should throw away every symbol conceived as being satanic in a game about hell. WE SHOULD REINVENT HELL!

I suggest we use Teddy Bears with cute small horns, big eyes, smiley faces, and cel shaded blood. We should also do away with the fire and brimstone. That is SOOOOOO EIGHTIES! Let's use ice with frozen skittles.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
IJoel said:
Yes, we should throw away every symbol conceived as being satanic in a game about hell. WE SHOULD REINVENT HELL!

I suggest we use Teddy Bears with cute small horns, big eyes, smiley faces, and cel shaded blood. We should also do away with the fire and brimstone. That is SOOOOOO EIGHTIES! Let's use ice with frozen skittles.

Doom3 would have been better if maynard was the main character. am i rite.

if they combine doom 3 and duke nukem it would be the ultimate 80s macho cheese game. "metal" imagery and "booze\plastic chick" imagery. A match made in geek heaven.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
IJoel said:

Hades XP by Microsoft!

Oh wait, they already released that.

I am sick and fucking tired of lamers using the phrase "BAD ART". BAD YOUR FUCKING MUM.

What an irritating phrase. People spend years on some of these designs. But particularly in the case of Doom 3 which from the start has boasted astounding levels of artistic quality all around. Let's see you whiners come up with copmarable artworks. Otherwise, STFU.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Doom3 still shots don't look as good as the game in motion (well, at least for me).

Been playing Doom3 a lot, and going from that to WE8 was painful on the eyes.

dark10x

DCharlie said:
Doom3 still shots don't look as good as the game in motion (well, at least for me).

Been playing Doom3 a lot, and going from that to WE8 was painful on the eyes.

Oh yes, screenshots just can't do the game justice...it looks incredible in motion. It seems that a lot of people are used to typical PC games, where the actual game animates so poorly that you really CAN judge from screenshots. I mean, when you see an incredible looking character model in a static screen animate like crap...you start to put faith in those shots.

Doom 3 is one of the only PC FPS games EVER to be released that truly features outstanding animation. I mean, REALLY REALLY good stuff here. Doom 3 represents a whole new world of polish for PC games...

Top Bottom