• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those awful right-wing Facebook pics your friends/family share

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeySeuss

neogaf does have a way to insert the tags for you
mI3Hfv5.png

I only use mobile.

El Odio

Banned
In addition, liberals called for gun control in both instances. A quick google search would show people that. Obama himself said he was going to do something with or without congress. It's just that in addition to calling for gun control, liberals said "Oh hey, ain't it kind of fucked up to have this symbol of our racist history flying in the capitol of the state that this horrible racist crime happened in?"
That too. But yeah, anything to make liberals look like a bunch of racists who want to victimize whites.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
4Z5DoJe.jpg

What fucking world do these people live in, because it isn't reality.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this.

I went to school with the victim, and I know for a FACT that everyone has been talking about this. This pisses me off, and I'm sure everyone I know who actually knew the victims would punch whoever said this.

And I've seen so many posts going "hey, we're not rioting in the streets when a white person dies!" that now I wanna riot. Why can't people see the differences between the two events? Do they not understand why people are acting differently now than they did in Baltimore?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Was he really gay?

I was under the assumption he had been called (or claimed) homosexual slurs, but was straight and that was why he was so offended. Because most heterosexual guys go absolutely nuts if you imply they're not straight.

RDreamer

My post back to my dad after all that:

Do you have any more bullet points Drudge report wants you to fill in that post? I think you got most of them. I like that you had to throw in there that he was gay like that in and of itself is a bad thing or that matters in any way shape or form. He was obviously a terrible person, and people very obviously do care. It’s a tragic story that’s at the top of the news right now.

I'm also so glad you know all of those black "punks" and think they deserved death no matter their crime. I’d love for you to tell Tamir Rice’s parents that right to their face. It’s a verifiable fact that there is systematic racism in our justice system. “ Prison sentences of black men were nearly 20% longer than those of white men for similar crimes in recent years, an analysis by the U.S. Sentencing Commission found.” (http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324432004578304463789858002) In cities like Ferguson where we have an actual investigation it found that “the disproportionate number of arrests, tickets and use of force stemmed from “unlawful bias,” rather than black people committing more crime,” “the city’s practices are shaped by revenue rather than by public safety needs,” and “the 67% of African Americans in Ferguson account for 93% of arrests made from 2012-2014.” (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ights-from-the-dojs-scathing-ferguson-report/) “Bias against African-Americans was routine and thorough, affecting nearly every aspect of Ferguson police and court operations.” (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/03/04/us/ferguson-police-racial-discrimination.html?_r=0) I like that you’re allowed to bitch about cops needlessly waiting to pull someone over for speeding, yet black people protesting about the factual discrimination and racial bias going on is just too much.

Studies show that people (including cops) see black kids as less innocent and less young than white kids, and their age is routinely overestimated by about 4.5 years. (http://www.thewire.com/politics/201...ss-innocent-and-less-young-white-kids/359026/) Because of this they’re at 21 times greater risk of being shot dead by police than their white counterparts. (http://www.propublica.org/article/deadly-force-in-black-and-white)

So if you think they don’t have anything to protest, you’re out of your goddamned mind.

On top of all that, grand juries just don’t indict cops. They’re not out there protesting the shooting itself. They’re protesting that by and large the cops get away with it. There’s no investigation there’s no indictment. (http://www.wsj.com/articles/police-rarely-criminally-charged-for-on-duty-shootings-1416874955). Even when we have video tape of the murder, a lot of the time nothing happens. We give them power and with that should come responsibility. They should be held responsible for excessive use of force, and we should be investigating each and every time it’s used. Do we really want them shooting people who are running away? (http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-charged-with-murder/) Black Lives Matter folks are even there when the victim is white, as evidenced by Zachary Hammond. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/zachary-hammond-police-killing_55c0e240e4b0c9fdc75dfda3)

If you think black people don't care about black on black crime, well then you're just not paying attention. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening. They're marching in the street against it. There are musical movements against it. Just because you don't know about Stop the Violence or Kendrick Lamar or The Interrupters doesn't mean those people aren't there. (http://www.theatlantic.com/national...eople-protest-black-on-black-violence/255329/) They’re organized against it (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/19/n...-363-days-but-the-fight-is-far-from-over.html). They've protested in New York, they've protested in Chicago, they've protested in Newark, Saginaw, and Pittsburgh. (http://www.theatlantic.com/national...eople-protest-black-on-black-violence/255329/ ) Because you only feel like piping up when you think your position of privilege is in jeopardy doesn't mean these things aren't reality. And because of all, crime rates among the African American community are plummeting. “In the last 20 years in particular, the FBI reports, rates of crime among African American youth have plummeted: All offenses (down 47%), drug offenses (down 50%), property offenses (down 51%), serious Part I offenses (down 53%), assault (down 59%), robbery (down 60%), all violent offenses (down 60%), rape (down 66%), and murder (down 82%).” In 2013 “black youths under age 18 account for just 2% of the nation’s homicides.” (http://www.cjcj.org/news/6523).

If you think you really “care” while still denying all of that reality, then think again. As Jamelle Bouie puts it, “Say what you will about “black-on-black crime,” just don’t pretend it has anything to do with unfair killings at the hands of the state.”

If you want to talk percentages, too, 84% of white people are killed by other white people! 53.3% of gang homicides are perpetrated by white people. 70.8% of workplace related homicides (oh hey, that’s what happened in Virginia!) are white people. 64% of forcible rapes are by whites. So why aren’t you out on the streets protesting as much as they are? “Black-on-black crime has decreased over the decades. In the past 20 years, black-on-black homicides decreased by 67 percent—a sharper decline than white-on-white homicide” (http://www.alternet.org/civil-liber...black-crime-ignores-much-americas-criminality) You’re not protesting possibly because most crime is intraracial and your statistic and the 84% statistic I just brought up mean jack and/or shit in this narrative.

Planned parenthood belongs nowhere in this conversation at all. If you're insinuating some sort of racism in what they do, you should know that 60% of their centers are in majority white neighborhoods. (http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallp...thood-started-to-control-the-black-population). To even equate abortion with murder is absolutely asinine. If it is, then apparently God’s the biggest murderer there is, considering 10-20 percent of KNOWN pregnancies end in miscarriage. How about all those abortions planned parenthood prevents? Oh don’t care about those? Well then… The fact that you think I’m you think I’m too dumb to understand Planned Parenthood is donating tissue and not selling body parts is concerning. They’ve been cleared of all wrongdoing (http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/investigations-turn-no-planned-parenthood-wrongdoing), and the tissue donation helps saves lives and end diseases. (http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...renthood_videos_leave_out_that_donations.html). And the fact that you’re not bringing up in vitro fertilization and how that destroys embryos too is questionable (https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...06e852-4128-11e5-8e7d-9c033e6745d8_story.html). I don’t see you protesting outside an IVF clinic…

In the end, I think the reason the person who made this picture phrased it like the joker really speaks to their state of mind as a narcissistic asshole not actually living in the real world. It’s cartoonish villainy at best and at worst a grossly racist and poisonous point of view.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Goddamn. Good for you for standing up to a family member's bigotry. That can't be easy.

Incredibly thorough and well-documented but I suspect he might dismiss all that as liberal-biased media or something. :\ I hope I'm wrong.

RDreamer

Goddamn. Good for you for standing up to a family member's bigotry. That can't be easy.

Incredibly thorough and well-documented but I suspect he might dismiss all that as liberal-biased media or something. :\ I hope I'm wrong.

You're definitely not wrong. He won't give a fuck. 10 bucks says he comes back with some Margaret Sanger bullshit and gets really angry at mostly my abortion tirade against him.

But that sure cooled me down a bit from my seething anger. I think thoroughly researching and writing something that reinforced things helped quite a bit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You're definitely not wrong. He won't give a fuck. 10 bucks says he comes back with some Margaret Sanger bullshit and gets really angry at mostly my abortion tirade against him.

But that sure cooled me down a bit from my seething anger. I think thoroughly researching and writing something that reinforced things helped quite a bit.
That sucks.

Today I hung out with my brother and had to educate him on transgender issues. He kept insisting "they're born male they're male" and repeating other kind of similar nonsense. I think it comes largely from a place of ignorance but it still made me extremely sad and irritated that he could be so bigoted. Since he's my brother I struggled to remain calm and explain why he was wrong, using medical facts and science to support what I was saying, and I think at the end he was thoroughly stumped and quickly changed the subject xD, so it gives me some hope that he'll come around eventually. He used to be a lot more homophobic and he's toned that down a lot in recent years. But yeah, really makes me glad I'm not on Facebook. I don't want to see the crap he most post on there sometimes...

RDreamer

That sucks.

Today I hung out with my brother and had to educate him on transgender issues. He kept insisting "they're born male they're male" and repeating other kind of similar nonsense. I think it comes largely from a place of ignorance but it still made me extremely sad and irritated that he could be so bigoted. Since he's my brother I struggled to remain calm and explain why he was wrong, using medical facts and science to support what I was saying, and I think at the end he was thoroughly stumped and quickly changed the subject xD, so it gives me some hope that he'll come around eventually. He used to be a lot more homophobic and he's toned that down a lot in recent years. But yeah, really makes me glad I'm not on Facebook. I don't want to see the crap he most post on there sometimes...

I guess what gives me the most hope is that I used to be pretty similar to my dad when I was younger and enough people telling me I was fucking wrong while demonstrating so with links really got to me. That's why I always hate when people say not to argue, they'll never change their opinion. I did... This very forum educated me quite a bit on transgender issues, for instance, and now I'm a staunch defender.

It is always sad to see someone you care about be so terrible in another way, too. It's really hard to reconcile that. My dad's a loving and caring person, genuinely... He's just not terribly well educated and he's very well isolated from culture by and large. Unfortunately things like Drudge Report and Fox News along with talk radio show hosts have kind of brainwashed him further and further down the line.

I find it pretty hard to argue with some of these things in real life. I can't just conjure a lot of science and medical facts on a whim, whereas it seems like they can pretty easily bring up the talking points. I'm much more happy arguing on the internet where I can confirm the stats I'm trying to spout.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I find it pretty hard to argue with some of these things in real life. I can't just conjure a lot of science and medical facts on a whim, whereas it seems like they can pretty easily bring up the talking points. I'm much more happy arguing on the internet where I can confirm the stats I'm trying to spout.
Oh yes, absolutely. When he insisted that "if you are born with a penis you are male, period", I said, "well, medical science doesn't agree". He then asked me, "who's 'medical science' exactly?", and I said, all manners of medical associations. Then he said, kinda smugly, "name them!", like, hoping to stump me. The first I named was the American Psychiatric Association, and then he scoffed "oh, sure, psychiatrists huh", and I don't even know why because he's not at all some sort of Tom Cruise-like who doesn't believe in psychiatry or anything. Then I had to go on a tangent pretty much to defend the APA as reliable, which I didn't particularly care to do, instead of continuing to list medical associations. So I got lured into a goalpost shifting really, which wouldn't have happened with a written exchange. Very frustrating.

RDreamer

My FB feed consists of science-y stuff, dog related content and the occasional meme.

You guys must be doing it wrong.

Mine was good until I started adding people who are less actual friends... Like my family... And people I add for work related reasons.

Retro

I'm offended by the lights because it's freaking AUGUST.

You should be more offended that the story is complete bullshit; as of 2013 Cardwell doesn't even have a mosque, and such a ban was never enacted.
JUWnj.gif

Of course, some people won't let a silly thing like the truth stand in the way of intolerance.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying you are 'some people' in this context, refering to folks who spread that kind of garbage. Just wanted to be clear I'm not saying anything about you specifically here.

RDreamer

I don't really like the idea that we should just ignore and hide people's idiocy. I mean I realize there's so much more idiocy out there, but when people close to you are being terrible I think they should be told that. What good does it do anyone to purposefully create an echo chamber?

People stupid enough to post some of the shit in this thread don't deserve your intervention, and it doesn't matter because it won't work anyway. Might as well just save yourself.

Shokifer

I don't really like the idea that we should just ignore and hide people's idiocy. I mean I realize there's so much more idiocy out there, but when people close to you are being terrible I think they should be told that. What good does it do anyone to purposefully create an echo chamber?

Especially since the internet means you can have an echo chamber for literally every viewpoint ever.

RDreamer

They have to be the most willfully dense motherfuckers on the planet or some of these people really have to have the intellect of a fucking toddler. The amount of which they don't even remotely understand the other side's arguments is astounding.

It's seriously like a toddler. I can't think of anything else but when some kid whines about something, puts it into crazy simple terms and bitches that it's not fair and you're just like "OH MY GOD WHY WON'T YOU UNDERSTAND" and you pat them on the head because you think they'll somehow grow out of it. Except some just don't. They become conservatives.

Siegcram

When I see those "ban the rainbow" posts, I just ask them to point me to its link of centuries of institulionized discrimination (against straight people, I guess?). Gets real quiet afterwards. Or REALLY stupid.

neshcom

Banned
We all know gay people have a storied history of killing straights. All those poor straight nightclubs raided and burned down.

El Odio

Banned
Why is it so hard for the people who share these "hypocritical liberal logic" to stop and actually consider the story behind what they're about to post? If I was someone unfamiliar with the recent shooting and only had these pictures to go off of I'd believe that the gunman only did it because he thought all straight people were subhuman and was racist towards whites. Is that it, do they just think that?

RDreamer

So, and update from my previous family bullshit.

My aunt:
Doesn't pay to respond, you aren't willing to listen to anybody else's opinion but your own.

My response:
Strange, my post is filled with other people's opinions I've listened to. You know what it takes? Facts and research.

Aunt:
then do it

My dad finally says:
I hope you didn't spend all night typing up this lefty bullshit manifesto Because I won't waste one second reading it. You have your self a good weekend son because looks like you need to relax.

He also messaged me that he came home to my mother in tears because of my beliefs and that we shouldn't talk politics anymore.

My dad pulled some terrible bullshit back when Obama was getting re-elected. Wrote up this whole bullshit email to me and my sister about if Obamacare actually came into effect, my mom's business would have to close and sent it to me and my sister. I spent a fucking day researching and sent back to him how every point was wrong or a misunderstanding and my mom had nothing to fear. His response was just that it was a nice lefty talking point letter and reality is different. Guess what? My mom is still in business and my dad still has health insurance (he didn't think he would). That time I mostly spent the time in order to inform my sister of what he was doing, and I think that was worth it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So, and update from my previous family bullshit.

My aunt:
My response:
Aunt:
My dad finally says:
He also messaged me that he came home to my mother in tears because of my beliefs and that we shouldn't talk politics anymore.

My dad pulled some terrible bullshit back when Obama was getting re-elected. Wrote up this whole bullshit email to me and my sister about if Obamacare actually came into effect, my mom's business would have to close and sent it to me and my sister. I spent a fucking day researching and sent back to him how every point was wrong or a misunderstanding and my mom had nothing to fear. His response was just that it was a nice lefty talking point letter and reality is different. Guess what? My mom is still in business and my dad still has health insurance (he didn't think he would). That time I mostly spent the time in order to inform my sister of what he was doing, and I think that was worth it.
Bah, I'm sorry to hear that.

Sucks that your meticulous research is not even going to be read at all by these narrow-minded people. "Lefty manifesto", holy shit that's infuriating.

SPCTRE

It's really easy to not see people's stupid ass posts.

Weeding out dat FB friendslist can feel just as freeing as throwing away old shit from your attic/garage/basement/whatever. Highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom