• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those awful right-wing Facebook pics your friends/family share

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
One of the more repugnant right wing pics I've seen:

utKaQUi.jpg

User1608

Banned
One of the more repugnant right wing pics I've seen:

.brownhatingjpg
Thankfully these people will continue to become more irrelevant as the years go by. Nay for racism. Besides, Trump totally doesn't have the strength to throw over a baby, let alone an anchor lol.

danielcw

Thankfully these people will continue to become more irrelevant as the years go by. Nay for racism. Besides, Trump totally doesn't have the strength to throw over a baby, let alone an anchor lol.

I used to think so too, but for example the anti-gay mindset of even young Russians, or the raise of right-wing activities in Europe is really worrying to me.

This last weekend, 20-30 thousand people met in Birmingham to march the same route that Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King marched in 1963 to end segregation. This march, called Restoring Unity, which included people of all colors & many religions, was to raise money to rescue Christian families from Syria that are being systematically exterminated by ISIS. They raised $1.7M to bring families to safe countries (sadly while Obama lets in hundreds of thousands of Muslim refugees in from Syria & other countries, his regime doesn't allow Christian refugees), but not the USA.

Did the media cover this march of peace during a time of great racial tension in our country, where blacks, whites, Hispanics, & Asians walked hand in hand in peace? No, they covered 350 "Black (only) Lives Matter" protesters chanting "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon!" in reference to recent shootings of police officers.

neshcom

Banned
Denali means nobody gets left behind.

Finding a little bit of humor in people who would worry loudly about a nanny state needing Congress to approve every little thing Obama already has the authority to do.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I refuse to believe the Mt. McKinley ones are made by people actually upset about the name change.

Or you could say I'm in Denali.

So this has been shared on my feed recently.

3GlwjqM.jpg

The awesome thing? The link it uses as "verification" of its claim... actually debunks the claim.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/abcflag/

Summary of eRumor:

A boycott of the ABC television network is encouraged because the executives at ABC news are said to have told reporters they could not wear American flag lapel pins or any other patriotic insignia. The network said that ABC should remain as neutral as possible.

The Truth:

Rumors that ABC News has banned American flag lapel pins have been swirling ever since the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The claim was based in truth at one time, but it has drifted more toward fiction over the years.

The 9/11 attacks resulted in a wave of patriotism that had not been seen in decades. The shared enthusiasm for the country and flag were widespread.

It created difficulties for reporters, however, who try to professionally earn and keep people’s trust by avoiding personal partisan displays while reporting in the news. Many media outlets struggled to preserve their image as journalists while at the same time appearing unpatriotic in a time of crisis. Some journalists elected to wear American flag lapel pins on air, and the debate started.

CBS, NBC and CNN did not have a lapel pin policy in place before or after 9/11, the Orlando Sentinel reports. Reporters for those stations regularly wore American flag lapel pins on air while covering 9/11.

When word got out that ABC News had “banned American flag lapel pins,” the network became a lightning rod for criticism. However, the eRumor began to drift away from the truth almost immediately.

The network never specifically singled out American flag lapel pins — it prohibited its reporters from wearing any lapel pin on the air.

David Westin, the former president of ABC News, said in a 2012 interview with CNN that he made the decision to stick with the no-lapel pin policy in the days that followed 9/11:

“It came up while I was in the control room. As you’ll recall, we were on the air for about four and a half days straight — 24 hours, seven days a week with no commercial interruption or anything else. There was constant reporting coming in during that time and we were having to make decisions about what to do and what not to do … They came to us and said, ‘We are being asked why we’re not wearing lapel pins,’ because a number of other outlets, particularly cable news, were. Fox News in particular had integrated the American flag into the backdrop and bumpers and teases and everything else. And we’d long had a policy at ABC News that we wouldn’t let people wear any lapel pins of any sort. The theory being that when you’re reporting the news, you should be reporting the news, not taking a position. I said quickly, ‘We’re going to stick with our policy and stand by that.’ I believe to this day that was the right decision.”

Ever since, the stance that ABC News takes on all lapel pins — including American flag lapel pins — has been widely misunderstood. Under the policy, reporters are simply asked not to wear lapel pins. What happens if they do anyway? Not much, apparently.

Terry Moran, who covered the Bush administration for ABC News in 2001, chose to defy the network and wore a flag lapel pin. He still climbed the network’s ranks over the next decade and became co-anchor of the show “Nightline.”

This eRumor has resurfaced a number of times over the years. After President Obama temporarily stopped wearing an American flag lapel pin in 2007, ABC News was accused of “following the president’s lead” in a series of viral emails. Considering the long standing lapel pin policy at ABC News, that claim is false.

Then, in early 2015, another viral email claimed that ABC News had just ordered reporters not to wear “lapel pin American flags or other patriotic insignia.” That email was outdated and stretched the truth about the policy to begin with.

And it's further debunked here: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/noflags.asp

And as the cherry on top of the sundae, this image is from the President's recent trip to Alaska, where he spoke at a conference.

And yes, I posted all of the above in response to the original image shared.

I think that story in the picture is a test.

If only. It's a nice touch, though. Image including a link which debunks the claim, knowing that the people most susceptible to believing it wouldn't go to the link in the first place. "It's something bad about Obama and the liberal media! It must be true!"

danielcw

If only. It's a nice touch, though. Image including a link which debunks the claim, knowing that the people most susceptible to believing it wouldn't go to the link in the first place. "It's something bad about Obama and the liberal media! It must be true!"

In Germany (IIRC) therer was a recent case of right-wing protesters who misspelled their URL on their banner. Others quickly made a website on the misspelled URL. It looked right-wing propaganda on top, and then slowly became fact based.

Maybe we should start reposting the right-wing pictures with links attached to sites like snopes or politifact which debunk the claim.
(and use better compression, while we are at it)

EDIT: in other words: Hijack the right-wing spam to spread facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom